Bills sign a safety!!!! Mike Edwards a Bill

DJB

Just now, DJB said:

Wasting valuable cap space on high end safeties doesn’t seem like a prudent idea . 

I get that you are all excited but McDermott gets the most out of the secondary and we need help elsewhere 

besides DT, there is really no where else on the roster where we would be investing any kind of significant money 

And there are no DT's available who will cost a lot 

8 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

8 ints and 5 Fumble recoveries in 28 starts is actually very impressive. 

Remember Poyer before coming here was considered depth n turned into an all pro. McD is a DB whisperer and he clearly has some potential to work with

I was just thinking the same thing, poyer wasn't close to the player he is now until he got to Buffalo. I have all the faith in the world with this staff developing DBs.

Would have preferred Julian blackmon

Edited by BruceVilanch
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Looks like a nice player to me.  Appears to have played SS, General DB and FS

Has a knack for taking it to the house when he gets the ball.

4 Defensive TDs in the last 4 years  + Championships with TB and KC

image.thumb.png.4bc7f8ea8442b51b6cc16d230bcd0c5c.png

Stats are pretty good. I like it. Maybe this will make McDermott hesitate to draft a first round safety.

Fingers crossed. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

His 48% completion percentage (15-31) is outstanding. 

I think this signals the Bills will draft a safety. 

That's really what I was looking at. Rapp is a bruiser, we needed a center fielder.

I agree that I think safety is on the docket to draft. The Bills had combine visits from DeJean, Bullock and Bullard, and any of those three sound like they could compete for a starting job and it's not crazy to think they would be available into round 3. I know the Bills don't have a pick there, but with all their 5th rounders, I think they could package one of those 4ths to move it.

• Like (+1) 1

He signed a one-year $3M contract with the Chiefs last year.

Seems he started after Bryan Cook got hurt.

KC let him walk so I think it's around a $2M+ contract, but hopefully less.

He does seem like a ball hawk.  Hope McDermott can get him playing well for the D.

I think this makes a Safety in Day 1 or 2 less important.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, BruceVilanch said:

I was just thinking the same thing, poyer wasn't close to the player he is now until he got to Buffalo. I have all the faith in the world with this staff developing DBs.

Would have preferred Julian blackmon

I feel the exact same

Even Hyde when coming was way more of a household name but not close to all pro or pro bowl level and mainly acted as a nickel cb, pretty much whoever they bring in at S I have total faith McD sees traits that he can expand on and make them elite

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Rapp and Edwards will be our starters this year with Lewis and a drafted safety as our backups. I highly doubt we’re adding another guy in FA. 

Seems likely … the drafted safety will be given a chance to compete as well …Im sure they will identify a good prospect in Rounds 4-5

Would have preferred a better option over Edwards .. they had their chance to get a guy around $5m

Edited by Aussie Joe

Doesn't really move the needle for me. I don't dislike the signing but not over the moon. He seems to check the box as a back up/spot starter. Maybe fills Rapp's role from last year. 

One thing I do like is he has playoff/Super Bowl experience. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

He signed a one-year $3M contract with the Chiefs last year.

Seems he started after Bryan Cook got hurt.

KC let him walk so I think it's around a $2M+ contract, but hopefully less.

He does seem like a ball hawk.  Hope McDermott can get him playing well for the D.

I think this makes a Safety in Day 1 or 2 less important.

I wouldn't hate it, but I think now the Bills are truly in position to take BPA and worry about backfilling the bandaids in the later rounds.

10 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Rapp and Edwards will be our starters this year with Lewis and a drafted safety as our backups. I highly doubt we’re adding another guy in FA. 

There’s only 59 players on the roster, including future/reserve contracts. We’re adding somebody…

Whelp, instead of lying down and dying, like our D does in playoff games, this guy appears to make splash plays in those situations. The whole starter v.s. backup argument is moot... We had defensive starters who underperformed when the chips were down. This guy has proven he outperforms in those situations.

For that reason alone I'm on board with this signing. 

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

I wouldn't hate it, but I think now the Bills are truly in position to take BPA and worry about backfilling the bandaids in the later rounds.

Didn't want to see Safety in the 1st.  This makes it better for WR/DL.  Can't see a first-round need in the other positions.

Second round BPA is good for me for a lot of other positions.

I hope it falls that way.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Lewis isn't even a safety and people mention him before Hamlin. Sad.

Edwards has a similar profile to Hyde and Poyer before they joined.  Hopefully he continues the tradition.

It will be tough to replace what was likely Buffalo's best all time safety duo overnight, but I like Edwards as an #2 or #3 option.  With less than 60 on the roster and a draft coming, I am assuming that there will be at least one more option added.  Hopefully Blackmon or a high draft pick.

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, papazoid said:

nothing special...

PFF Safety rankings out of 95 qualified

Blackmon #38

Poyer #46

Hyde #53

Edwards #82

Rapp #85

So now we are listening to PFF again?  The formula for when to follow their grading is probably as complex as the NFL explaining how Edmunds wasn't a 3rd round comp pick.

• Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

38 minutes ago, Blank Stare said:

Soooo…no Julian Blackmon then? Bummer. 

I would guess he wants too much money 

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

So now we are listening to PFF again?  The formula for when to follow their grading is probably as complex as the NFL explaining how Edmunds wasn't a 3rd round comp pick.

PFF sucks.

• Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Would have liked to sign Blackmon so that both S starting spots would be filled prior to the draft (Rapp is starting whether or not you like it). 

As of now we still need a starting FS. 

• Dislike 1

If there is a position I trust McDermott with, it is safety. If he thinks he can make it work with Rapp and Edwards, that works for me. But they may also draft a guy. We'll see.

1 minute ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I would guess he wants too much money 

Solid guy.  Could start, may not.  Every position has someone who could start and you could expect average production out of.  Pre draft that is a good spot to be in.  Bring in the best prospects possible and increase the roster.   Better than create a hole, replace the hole wash repeat. 

Cover One says Bills liked him at Senior Bowl.

The Bills usually sign guys they've followed for a while.  They generally know what they're getting.  They must like him as a sleeper starter.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2