Bobby Babich Staying, Promoted to DC!

bills742

I’m good with both the OC and DC moves.  What I’m not good with is WR1, and the  age of some of the players in key positions.  I feel injures always seems to rear their ugly head down the stretch. In many ways I feel the injury bug is due to age and sometimes even lack of size (LBs for example).

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, KentuckyBillsFan said:

I'm all for Babich calling plays if it increases the odds the defense shows up in the playoffs

I mean... i don't really know what playcalling you can call when your defensive players play poorly.  What defense do i call when oliver is getting handled 1x1 by thuney all game?  How do you scheme around a 1 armed linebacker and another whos 5 years past his prime?

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

It’s not whining if it’s true🤷‍♂️

No it is whining when it is incessant.  Which it is daily here.  Whats the point of pointing out someone doesn't like McD EVERY DAY if he is the coach next season. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

He very well could be a great DC but to this point he is unproven at the position just like Dorsey was and just like Brady is.  Not a fan of gambling with these BFF hires.

We need a DC that can scheme to beat the Chiefs…for the next several years, the SB goes through them and through 4 post seasons they own the Bills (see DVOA post).  

There is zero reason to suspect this Bills team can unseat the Chiefs with the retention and repositioning of the coaching staff.  

If the top options I've seen discussed for OC were Brady, Thad Lewis, Klint Kubiak, and Jason Vrable, then Brady has far and away the most experience and proven track record, and is the only one to have called plays. Unless you want a proven loser like Arthur Smith who the Steelers just hired.

Same with DC. I'm watching the feeds on interview news and it's a lot of LB coaches and first-timers. And Brandon Staley, if you want an experienced loser.

The coaching pool has been getting drained so quickly lately that you are going to get unproven coaches no matter what.

With the Titans hiring the Bengals OC last week, and the Bengals having to hire a new OC, that means EVERY team has replaced their OC since 2022. Read that again. All 32 OCs have been replaced since early 2022. Guys are getting pushed up that ladder so quickly now.

Going with the up-and-comers you know, and who already have strong relationships in the building, is probably the best course.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I actually have zero idea if this is good/bad/neutral, etc.  I don't know crap about coaching.  Seems lots of folks are pumped...that at least bodes well.  Also in the picture of Babich from Rappaport's tweet he looks like Elijah Wood which makes me laugh, so that is something.

image.png.7632b6789265578a7a0c1ae5f8b3e570.png           image.png.109793024130e59a2530e70b512d2b26.png

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Low Positive said:

All the people upset about this are the same people who would have been apocalyptic if he had gone to Miami.  

I think what it is for most people is the past few years we have been good but not good enough. This year there were a ton of penalties, mental lapses, etc that caused the team to lose close games. When you lose that way it often is related to coaching. At this level coaches are not really teaching x and o's anymore but more building culture, work habits, discipline, holding guys accountable, and a lot of the little stuff. That is what seems is missing in Buffalo. yet we continue to promote from within. Honestly none of us know if these guys are good or bad OC/DC's. I think many just want some fresh blood to fix things that guys in house have let get worse. Or just to shake things up a bit to get over the hump. 

The whiners are mad because it goes against Tyler Dunne's their narrative.

They've been told everyone who works for McDermott runs for the door the first chance they get.

Now Babich gets interviews with three different teams and says you know what?  I kinda like it here.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If the top options I've seen discussed for OC were Brady, Thad Lewis, Klint Kubiak, and Jason Vrable, then Brady has far and away the most experience and proven track record, and is the only one to have called plays. Unless you want a proven loser like Arthur Smith who the Steelers just hired.

Same with DC. I'm watching the feeds on interview news and it's a lot of LB coaches and first-timers. And Brandon Staley, if you want an experienced loser.

The coaching pool has been getting drained so quickly lately that you are going to get unproven coaches no matter what.

With the Titans hiring the Bengals OC last week, and the Bengals having to hire a new OC, that means EVERY team has replaced their OC since 2022. Read that again. All 32 OCs have been replaced since early 2022. Guys are getting pushed up that ladder so quickly now.

Going with the up-and-comers you know, and who already have strong relationships in the building, is probably the best course.

They are getting pushed up the ladder quickly.........but too quick?

I would say *probably* not?   

These young coaches are a lot more familiar with advanced X's and O's at much younger ages than those of the same age in decades past.

It's sort of like the young QB's and WR's entering the league...........they are far more advanced entering the league than they have ever been.

Except with coaches, you aren't contending with "planet theory".  The idea that there are only a very limited amount of humans with the right combination of athletic traits to even qualify.

With coaches the only real qualification to this point is that you still need to be an adult male.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

As many know I’m far from a McD fan but I think this has to be agood move. McD biggest flaw is REALLY poor in-game management of clock, time outs and general strategy. I’ve got to think taking DC play calling off of his to do list can only help him there. That’s of course assuming that McD seeks help to study the lacking skill set I listed above. Let’s hope and pray! 

But he was really bad at those things for the other 6 years he was a HC and not the DC

If McD is giving up defensive playcalling, this is a good thing. He's a major liability, anything that help ease the burden of his impact helps. We'll still have to win in spite of his in-game management, but at least it's one less hurdle. 

Edited by HomeskillitMoorman

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Agreed, although there is one more move I think I would like to see and that is a switch at ST Coordinator.  I feel like this unit was a weak spot this year and maybe a change will do the unit some good.  

I think there are more questions on ST than people realize too.  I mean what do we make of Bass, felt like he regressed some this year, but more importantly there were multiple moments where it felt like he had lost the trust of the coaching staff when you got above 45 yards.  

Then there is the punting situation...I know its been a hop topic around here, and have no idea if the FO would consider a move like this, but I do think it would be a good move and prudent to bring in Araiza to at least compete for the spot.  He was a top punting prospect for a reason, can't imagine he would cost much with him currently needing a job, and we need a punter upgrade.  

This is a side discussion but one of my pet peeves.  I think there are things teams should do to minimize even further the role of ST coverage.  Kick kickoffs out the EZ, and punt directionally towards the sideline to minimize returns.  Even a punt OOB that goes a few yards shorter is worth it to not give up a return.  Lower the dependence on keeping scrubs who are 'ST demons' and give more focus on not kicking returnable balls. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, appoo said:

Sarcasm?

No, not sarcasm, but Like any weatherman he is wrong most of the time…

• Haha (+1) 1

McDermott preparing his next wave of human shields to prolong his career...

A new OC and DC to blame if/when things go south!

Are you paying attention, Pegula?

You idiot!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They are getting pushed up the ladder quickly.........but too quick?

I would say *probably* not?   

These young coaches are a lot more familiar with advanced X's and O's at much younger ages than those of the same age in decades past.

It's sort of like the young QB's and WR's entering the league...........they are far more advanced entering the league than they have ever been.

Except with coaches, you aren't contending with "planet theory".  The idea that there are only a very limited amount of humans with the right combination of athletic traits to even qualify.

With coaches the only real qualification to this point is that you still need to be an adult male.

I don't think he is being moved up to quickly. Everyone with experience got their start at some point, and this is his time.  He needs to run the D and call the plays, you only get better by doing. He has seen Frasier and Mcdermott for awhile now.  Time to put on big boy pants and lets go!  I think he can do a good job, we will see.

15 minutes ago, stevewin said:

This is a side discussion but one of my pet peeves.  I think there are things teams should do to minimize even further the role of ST coverage.  Kick kickoffs out the EZ, and punt directionally towards the sideline to minimize returns.  Even a punt OOB that goes a few yards shorter is worth it to not give up a return.  Lower the dependence on keeping scrubs who are 'ST demons' and give more focus on not kicking returnable balls. 

Bingo!  You can design special teams that actually disposes with special teamers.  Every kickoff goes into the end zone (eminently doable); every punt goes OB or at least angled (this is where Azaria could come in - long punt but no hang time? Doesn’t matter if it is OB);  kickoff returns?  Always take the start on the 25.  

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That is an excellent viewpoint. You're betting on the idea that you already brought in the best possible people and have a good plan in place to replace people you lose. It's a great long term approach if you hit on the assistant staff spots. BUT.....

48 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

All the people upset about this are the same people who would have been apocalyptic if he had gone to Miami.  

Here's the issue. How do you make certain you have the right people if you don't conduct a thorough search? Not even entertain the idea that there may be someone more suited. 

With the last 3 coordinator openings they followed the same script. Interview the guy from staff. Minority candidate interview. Another minority candidate interview...hire existing employee. Bare minimum. Why not take the opportunity to bring in an extra 3 or 4 guys and see if someone else meshes? Then if Brady for instance makes the most sense...go for it. 

It's not that I'm upset about either hire. Fully expected and think they both have the ability to do a good job. And most likely in the case of Babich it was going to be promote or lose him. So I get that. But for as detailed as McDermott is said to be it's just shocking that this is his hiring process.

Now, why the heck is Coach Smiley still collecting a check?

44 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Smart move. You don't lose good coaches to promotions to other teams when you have a promotion in house you can give him.

The organization did the right thing promoting both Brady & Babich. I honestly don't know alot about either gut other than a half year of playcalling from Joe.  Continuity is important.  But I think most fans will agree the regular season is not the problem.  And the wild card round usually goes our way assuming we're not facing Joe or Patrick.  But once the divisionals start, we all rightfully start freaking out. How do we stop these 2 guys?

23 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The organization did the right thing promoting both Brady & Babich. I honestly don't know alot about either gut other than a half year of playcalling from Joe.  Continuity is important.  But I think most fans will agree the regular season is not the problem.  And the wild card round usually goes our way assuming we're not facing Joe or Patrick.  But once the divisionals start, we all rightfully start freaking out. How do we stop these 2 guys?

And this is an important point.  Nobody has stopped Mahomes and the Chiefs in the playoffs...with the exception of one year where the Bengals beat them.  This is not just a Bills issue.  It's an AFC issue.  Considering what the Bills were able to do with practice squad players playing defense, I think the key is on offense.  We know Josh poses a huge challenge...but he can't do it alone.  We need to load up on offense.  I believe our defense will get better just by getting healthy players back, resigning a couple of pieces, and drafting to get younger.   Draft some solid WRs and those that are on the roster, need to catch the ball.  

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

That is an excellent viewpoint. You're betting on the idea that you already brought in the best possible people and have a good plan in place to replace people you lose. It's a great long term approach if you hit on the assistant staff spots. BUT.....

Here's the issue. How do you make certain you have the right people if you don't conduct a thorough search? Not even entertain the idea that there may be someone more suited. 

With the last 3 coordinator openings they followed the same script. Interview the guy from staff. Minority candidate interview. Another minority candidate interview...hire existing employee. Bare minimum. Why not take the opportunity to bring in an extra 3 or 4 guys and see if someone else meshes? Then if Brady for instance makes the most sense...go for it. 

It's not that I'm upset about either hire. Fully expected and think they both have the ability to do a good job. And most likely in the case of Babich it was going to be promote or lose him. So I get that. But for as detailed as McDermott is said to be it's just shocking that this is his hiring process.

Now, why the heck is Coach Smiley still collecting a check?

I think the answer to this is that good coaches get snapped up pretty quickly these days.  If a team take too much time to make a decision, the good ones are out the door and hired elsewhere.  If you have an internal guy that is well-liked by the players and coaching staff, and has performed well in the past, you lock them up.

As to Smiley, I agree that special teams were not good last year and an upgrade there would be a good move for the team.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheWeatherMan said:

He very well could be a great DC but to this point he is unproven at the position just like Dorsey was and just like Brady is.  Not a fan of gambling with these BFF hires.

We need a DC that can scheme to beat the Chiefs…for the next several years, the SB goes through them and through 4 post seasons they own the Bills (see DVOA post).  

There is zero reason to suspect this Bills team can unseat the Chiefs with the retention and repositioning of the coaching staff.  

We were #1 AFCE looking to go to the Superbowl when we promoted Dorsey with no OC experience. Now we're in the same situation #1 AFCE and hiring a DC with no experience, what evidence do we have that this will turn out any different?

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Buckets said:

We were #1 AFCE looking to go to the Superbowl when we promoted Dorsey with no OC experience. Now we're in the same situation #1 AFCE and hiring a DC with no experience, what evidence do we have that this will turn out any different?

Agree, but who gives a rats sack about #1 AFCE?  It’s SB or bust with Josh Allen as the QB! I don’t really enjoy the Bills being the Chiefs post season B1t$#’s! 

Edited by TheWeatherMan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I don't think he is being moved up to quickly. Everyone with experience got their start at some point, and this is his time.  He needs to run the D and call the plays, you only get better by doing. He has seen Frasier and Mcdermott for awhile now.  Time to put on big boy pants and lets go!  I think he can do a good job, we will see.

Yeah Babich isn't even young for a first time DC.   I was more referring to all the young coaches moving up in general.  I don't know if McD will let him call the defense but if he doesn't do well it won't be because he's too young or inexperienced.  

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

And this is an important point.  Nobody has stopped Mahomes and the Chiefs in the playoffs...with the exception of one year where the Bengals beat them.  This is not just a Bills issue.  It's an AFC issue.  Considering what the Bills were able to do with practice squad players playing defense, I think the key is on offense.  We know Josh poses a huge challenge...but he can't do it alone.  We need to load up on offense.  I believe our defense will get better just by getting healthy players back, resigning a couple of pieces, and drafting to get younger.   Draft some solid WRs and those that are on the roster, need to catch the ball.  

I believe we would have beaten KC if Milano and Bernard were playing.

• Agree 7

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah Babich isn't even young for a first time DC.   I was more referring to all the young coaches moving up in general.  I don't know if McD will let him call the defense but if he doesn't do well it won't be because he's too young or inexperienced.  

I am with you 100%

Been hearing Babich praise for years now.. Seems to be super loyal and very respected by players and coaches 

Dodson had a great tweet showing Babich extreme love earlier today. I never heard a bad thing about this man, can't find Dodson twitter but if you got time check it out

But this mentality is phenomenal and I feel was built by McD and this teams culture - 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, nedboy7 said:

I am wondering how I can spin this into 14 negative threads. 

“Whether it’s as DC calling plays or just the title, I would 100 percent approve and want Bobby Babich to earn that title,” former Bills center Eric Wood posted on social media. “Bobby is one of the smartest coaches I’ve been around. Incredible energy and one of the best developers of talent I’ve witnessed.”

So, the bar is set at 14. Now, what is the over/under on time? Does Vegas have a line on this?  

EDIT: For the record, I’ll take the under.   😋

Edited by Augie

2 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Meh I couldn't care less at DC. The buck stops with McDermott on the defense. It's like Andy Reid hiring an OC... No one cares. On offense I agree, I wanted a more exhaustive search.

I like Babich because he has a strong resume of developing players. Keeping him in the building is more important than you give it credit for.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Meh I couldn't care less at DC. The buck stops with McDermott on the defense. It's like Andy Reid hiring an OC... No one cares. On offense I agree, I wanted a more exhaustive search.

I like Babich because he has a strong resume of developing players. Keeping him in the building is more important than you give it credit for.

You are most likely correct, but I hope you’re not.  McDermott’s defense has been the Bills Achilles heal, especially in the 4th quarter and in the playoffs.  Here’s to hoping McDermott gives Babich autonomy to run things his way.  

Babich seems like one of the up and coming young coaches in the league.  So in that sense, this should be good.  However, he’s also been part of an organization that can’t seem to play with the big boys in the playoffs. 

So, what is he going to do differently from what has been done for the last 5 or so years to help us get over the hump?  Is he going to be able to adjust and find a way to beat teams like the chiefs or a hot bengals team in the playoffs?  

As someone that experienced every horrible game and offseason move since our last Super Bowl visit, I’m not in a hurry to blow up the staff or roster. However, they simply cannot keep returning with the same philosophies and game plans and expect to ever get past teams like the Chiefs.  There needs to be some serious self assessment and changes made.  So far… can anyone say we’re seeing that?  

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Agree, but who gives a rats sack about #1 AFCE?  It’s SB or bust with Josh Allen as the QB! I don’t really enjoy the Bills being the Chiefs post season B1t$#’s! 

What I was trying to get at is when did we get in the business of training coordinators when we should be concentrating on winning the SB.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

McDermott preparing his next wave of human shields to prolong his career...

A new OC and DC to blame if/when things go south!

Are you paying attention, Pegula?

You idiot!

Some day, all these violent outbursts of yours are going to come home to roost.

And when they do, it's going to be an army of these coming for your wretched soul.

image.png.5cdffe9364821f56fc41e611f52e2627.png

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Been hearing Babich praise for years now.. Seems to be super loyal and very respected by players and coaches 

Dodson had a great tweet showing Babich extreme love earlier today. I never heard a bad thing about this man, can't find Dodson twitter but if you got time check it out

But this mentality is phenomenal and I feel was built by McD and this teams culture - 

I saw that full press conference last year, and I was impressed by him.  Not sure how he’ll do as dc, but great communication skills.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.