Bobby Babich Staying, Promoted to DC!

bills742

Babich has learned behind one of the best out there in McD.  Gives him a chance to take McDs defense and run with it.

Also gives McD a chance to focus on other components of the HC role with more intention.

Really like the move.  I dont know what other potential DC options were out there that would make me MORE excited than Babich - and he wasn't a guy that I was interested in losing.

Good, smart move.  Let's see how he does.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

It’s 2027.

Josh Allen won his second MVP

Bills won another SB

HC Joe Brady and his assistant HC Bobby Babich win their “Of the year” awards. 
Life is good.

TBD is the land of peace and tranquility for many seasons. 

Who the hell wants that ?!!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WotAGuy said:

What a sham. Did they even interview Leslie Frazier??

Leslie was in vacation… in Miami…,

Interesting that Babich spent some time in Carolina on D staff as an underling.  Wonder if he looks at the talent at LB in Milano Bernard and Williams and develops a real 4-3 for better run fits while still being able to play the pass when teams go 12 or 13 on the Bills.  Carolina used Davis Keuchly and Thompson on the field a lot in 2015. 

29 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is exactly what I wanted to see too.

McDermott, while a good DC, needs to go back to the job he's getting paid for, which is Head Coach. Let your coordinators coordinate, and worry about overseeing the ENTIRE team and keeping all 3 units aligned with the single vision, rowing in the same direction.

Agreed, although there is one more move I think I would like to see and that is a switch at ST Coordinator.  I feel like this unit was a weak spot this year and maybe a change will do the unit some good.  

I think there are more questions on ST than people realize too.  I mean what do we make of Bass, felt like he regressed some this year, but more importantly there were multiple moments where it felt like he had lost the trust of the coaching staff when you got above 45 yards.  

Then there is the punting situation...I know its been a hop topic around here, and have no idea if the FO would consider a move like this, but I do think it would be a good move and prudent to bring in Araiza to at least compete for the spot.  He was a top punting prospect for a reason, can't imagine he would cost much with him currently needing a job, and we need a punter upgrade.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Congrats to Bobby. He has earned it. Both as safeties coach and linebackers coach his work has been stellar. Even if he isn't calling plays (which I don't expect year 1) I think he will be an asset. 

I actually think he’s going to call plays. Why else take the position when you could’ve taken one outside the organization with a different team

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Nice. McDermott can be an actual head coach this year, and if he fails again we have Ben Johnson lined up for next year. This is the most hopeful I've been about the future in a while.

There will be shinier objects than Ben Johnson at some point,  For now let’s focus on shiny player objects.  Who will be this year’s “must have, can’t miss”  2024 version of Beckham, Ertz, Hopkins, etc.  Please let me know ASAP.

6 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

I actually think he’s going to call plays. Why else take the position when you could’ve taken one outside the organization with a different team

Can you please provide details on the offers he received?

As many know I’m far from a McD fan but I think this has to be agood move. McD biggest flaw is REALLY poor in-game management of clock, time outs and general strategy. I’ve got to think taking DC play calling off of his to do list can only help him there. That’s of course assuming that McD seeks help to study the lacking skill set I listed above. Let’s hope and pray! 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.