Joe Brady Officially Promoted as Bills OC!

KDIGGZ

53 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

I’ll give it chance, but I think this is the case of a head coach with a very particular vision. He wants a coordinator who’s inexperienced so he gets more input in how the offense functions. 

This take is based on a lot of illogical speculation, and it needs to die.

There's been no evidence that McDermott is this kind of micromanager. Moreover, it makes no sense. His job security, and millions of dollars, is not based on him hiring a puppet. It's based on him finding the people that will bring wins to Buffalo.

I guarantee you, winning and money are more important to McD than his ego. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

I’m good with this IF Brady realizes that throwing to Diggs behind the line or a few yards along sideline is not using his strengths.

Brady, Josh and Diggs needs to figure out how to rebuild chemistry/connection

Go out and get Josh 2 legit dynamic WR’s in the draft + someone like Hollywood Brown

transform the offense into a much faster more dangerous group. Look at Zay Flowers impact in Baltimore. We have the chance to draft similar impactful players.

Diggs

Round 1 - Dynamic Threat

Shakir

Round 2 - Dynamic Threat

Hollywood Brown

Harty / Shorter

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

57 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I hate this. I don't necessarily hate that Brady got the job. But I hate that the team didn't even attempt to complete a full and exhaustive search. We're just running it back. McDermott loves playing it safe. It's what holds him back as a coach more than anything.

I'm not sure how I feel about all this but I'd say this is the best way to describe how I feel.

For me this is a good thing in following sense - if we don't make at least AFCCG next season or the whole team doesn't look much better than this year, I'll be fully on fire McDermott train. 

Not a terribly inspiring hire. Allen's passing numbers were down,  under 200 yards against KC, Diggs invisible after Brady took over. 

16 passes behind the LOS in the playoff game is not really something to get excited about. 

He's better than Dorsey, but that's a low bar. 

Had to think a lot of coaches would have loved to work with our offense. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Not a terribly inspiring hire. Allen's passing numbers were down,  under 200 yards against KC, Diggs invisible after Brady took over. 

16 passes behind the LOS in the playoff game is not really something to get excited about. 

He's better than Dorsey, but that's a low bar. 

Had to think a lot of coaches would have loved to work with our offense. 

as annoying as that was, it was working for the most part. Sherfield and Diggs dropped 3 passes that should have been caught & would have been 125 yards passing

it would have been wise to at least interview a handful of legit candidates

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Worse based on every statistic involving total output (yards, points, EPA, etc). 

image.thumb.png.40ab5bbb71ee09ec799db78201c00c44.png

image.thumb.png.ffd985620c943d49ebb2b474ff75ca4f.png

Except for their W/L records.  Do those stats consider the rankings of the defenses they both faced? 

I'm excited to see what his system looks like, he was literally let go because he was too pass heavy in Carolina who wanted a more balanced attack. I thought he did an excellent job with another coordinators playbook with a few of his ideas thrown in. The entire offense clearly liked his style/approach because they turned things around fairly quickly imo.

50 minutes ago, Augie said:

McD is 5-6 in the playoffs, and many of those could have gone the other way, for better or worse. Marvin Lewis was 0-7 in the playoffs, so I would not say that is the same thing. A guy who wins about half is better than a guy who never won. 

Did Marvin Lewis have Josh Allen or did he gave good (definitely not great) QB like Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton? I'll hang up and listen.

12 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

This take is based on a lot of illogical speculation, and it needs to die.

There's been no evidence that McDermott is this kind of micromanager. Moreover, it makes no sense. His job security, and millions of dollars, is not based on him hiring a puppet. It's based on him finding the people that will bring wins to Buffalo.

I guarantee you, winning and money are more important to McD than his ego. 

You’re not wrong, of course McDermott wants to win. His idea of building a championship team is different than what I’d prefer. This team became a ball control offense, that’s what I saw with my eyes, then McD talks about “complimentary” football in press conferences. That told me he places a high value on controlling the clock, rather than building a big play offense. McDermott truly believes he has the best plan to win. He appears to be a great guy and good leader. I never criticized his coaching on this board prior to the KC divisional loss. I now think we’ve plateaued with McD as coach. 

Just now, Jim said:

Did Marvin Lewis have Josh Allen or did he gave good (definitely not great) QB like Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton? I'll hang up and listen.

He had a HOF QB in Palmer for many of those years. McD > Lewis, and it’s not even close. First it was argued that they were both the same in the playoffs. Well, 5-6 is not the same as 0-7. I’ve checked. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Except for their W/L records.  Do those stats consider the rankings of the defenses they both faced? 

To be fair, we caught some bad breaks and made dumb mistakes the first half of the year. I think a lot of those breaks went our way in the second half. Who knows if we even win the division without the Harty punt return in Miami. 

Welp... he was a better OC than Krazy Ken, but not by much. I was at the Chargers game in LA, and after about the fifth time I heard, "number 76 declaring as eligible..." my 13yo son, and I would look at each other in exasperation. I feel like Brady ran that RB-up-the-middle play a dozen times or more, and it might have averaged about 1.5 ypc. They used it a fair amount in the last KC game also, although I think it actually worked in that game. I do believe that Brady got better as the season progressed, but I still think the Bills are lacking a true offensive mind on their staff. Tired of having an OC that's learning on the job.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Josh Allen vs Carson Palmer 

Like Carson Palmer wasn’t good enough to win a playoff game.. let’s not act like he was the reason for Marvin’s playoff record lol

Just now, dpberr said:

I like the hire. He will need to incorporate even more variety into his game plan next year.

Did you bother looking at the stats?  

His only playoff game with the Bengals was vs the Jets 18-36 146yds 1TD 1INT 54QBR.  Most of his losses were with Andy Dalton who was brutally awful in the playoffs.  

Does Brady get credit for McD defense not blowing leads? That was really the biggest difference. The numbers under Brady are not any better and never approached the Dorsey good game levels. I hope Brady proves me wrong but his O was inspiring. Allen became Cam Newton, which he always was capable of being. But I thought the goal was bigger that that? Allen won’t last long if that is the plan with him. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.