Gabe plans to test free agency

Einstein

He and Allen just don’t have good chemistry. And I’m sure he feels the same way as his mother, that he’s an “afterthought” in the offense. You know they’ve discussed it with each other.

• Like (+1) 1

What I found most telling is during the interview where he said that during the season there wasn't any talk of an extension. That's a solid sign the Bills were ok moving on.

I do hope he gets his payday. Good for him and hey, good for the Bills. Maybe a 5th round comp pick? I can see the Giants being all over him with a nice contract offer.

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

Davis told reporters in the Bills’ locker room today that he expects to see what other teams are ready to offer him when free agency begins in March before he makes any decisions about where he’s playing in 2024 and beyond.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/gabe-davis-plans-to-test-free-agency-but-is-open-to-staying-in-buffalo

He’ll go to an offensive minded genius HC where he’ll flourish and we’ll still be here next year talking about how we must tell McClap AFC champ or bust the following year after another early round exit.

I have always been one of Gabe Davis's biggest defenders.

I thought he was going to have a breakout season in 2022. When he didn't, and then I learned that he struggled with an injury all year, I thought "oh, okay, well that makes sense. 2023, then. Dude is going to have a breakout year in 2023!".

Then...he didn't. 

Gabe Davis is an excellent WR4 -- that is, a guy that backs up all three starting WR positions and can come in situationally here and there for a shot play or designed, schemed up look -- that got his shot to be a WR2 and failed at it.

If Davis was willing to re-sign at a WR4 rate and have his playing time and involvement limited as such, then great. Good guy to have on the roster. But that's not going to happen. Let some other team pay him like a WR2. Go draft a couple youngsters -- ideally, one in the 1st round and another later on -- and call it a day. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

What I found most telling is during the interview where he said that during the season there wasn't any talk of an extension. That's a solid sign the Bills were ok moving on.

I do hope he gets his payday. Good for him and hey, good for the Bills. Maybe a 5th round comp pick? I can see the Giants being all over him with a nice contract offer.

Sounds to me like he doesn't have much of a choice but to test free agency. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

He'll do well in FA. Much better than he'd do with the Bills offer. He is this year's Edmunds.

Good for him. I hope he goes and gets paid well somewhere else.

Moving on.

What's well?  Its a strong class.  I don't see him getting close to what the top guys got last year. 3 years, 33 million for Meyers.

I'd like to see him back as #4 WR on cheap deal mainly for blocking abilities.  But likely some team will offer him big $$.

I'd be fine with Diggs, new #2 WR, Shakir in slot, Davis, and Shorter.  Or maybe Shorter can take Davis role, not sure how he is in blocking??  Has very similar size to Davis.  Think he was faster??  If he can fil lthat role, thenhave another spot open.

I believe Gabe has great talent however I also believe he is "lazy brained". He doesn't seem to study the game and just tries to get by on "winging it".

IF he ever decides to buckle down and train his head as much as his body, he will make some team a hell of a player one day.

I doubt he will find the motivation playing for the Bills.

27 minutes ago, cd1 said:

I believe Gabe has great talent however I also believe he is "lazy brained". He doesn't seem to study the game and just tries to get by on "winging it".

IF he ever decides to buckle down and train his head as much as his body, he will make some team a hell of a player one day.

I doubt he will find the motivation playing for the Bills.

From everything that's ever been said about him is nobody works harder at his craft so I don't know where you get that from.  He's just physically limited when it comes to separating in the short to intermediate areas of the field.  We need to upgrade and it's pry going to have to happen in the draft.

Good riddance but knowing the Bills luck he'll probably sign a team friendly deal with another contender next year (i.e. the Chiefs) and have a career year.

I will say this though, unlike a lot of guys on this team he at least showed up in the postseason. So that would be the only real reason for the Bills to consider keeping him but still think he's long gone regardless.

2 hours ago, BeastMaster said:

Not the type of wideout we need on this roster

Need a speed guy with reliable hands

I want a Lee Evans (or James Lofton!) type for #2.  

I was really happy with Sherfield as a depth signing this year.  But he killed me yesterday.

Shakir looks like a great #3.   He came on as the season progressed.   

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

A little under 40% of Allen's INT's over the past two seasons have come when targeting Gabe.

Now consider THIS:

Gabe has missed 4 games as a Bill.

In those 4 games Gabe missed, Allen was 67% for 1020 passing yards, 11 passing TD's, 0 Interceptions and 3 rushing TD's.

This should be in no way a surprise to anyone paying attention.

I've been saying it all season. If you want Allen to "protect the ball" then all you need to do is take Davis out of the lineup.  

Davis should have never been allowed to run option routes, because he was routinely on the wrong page with Allen.  Someone cynical might blame Allen for that, but Davis needed to be doing what Allen wanted, not the other way around. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.