Why Nathan Peterman?

In 2018, we drafted Josh Allen. He was a project QB, with a lot of potential, but also a lot of work. We were told that we would see little to no Josh that season, because he would be riding the bench and learning his first year. 

I still don't understand, five years later, why Peterman was the guy he was to learn behind. Let's even forget the now legendary 5 INT game. Let's give the benefit of the doubt that Peterman truly did majorly improve to be relatively serviceable, he was still just barely a rookie himself with almost no playing time. 

Why was McDermott and/or Beane so adamant about this kid? Wouldn't the best bet have been to get a Fitzpatrick-esque guy. An experienced veteran, who might not light up the leauge, but would win some games for you, and most importantly play an important mentor role in Josh's development. Seems to have worked for Tua.

Because instead, Peterman sucked, as we all thought, and Josh got thrown to the wolves his rookie year. Obviously it worked out, but it very well may not have.  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

AJ mcKarran was the bridge QB but they realized he was awful - not any better than the flyer on the roster Peterman so they dumped mcKarran just before week 1.  Bills were in the market for other bridge QBs but mcKarran ended up as their choice somehow, maybe because he was the cheapest. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Hopefully I can get this in fast enough:

Peterman was FANTASTIC in training camp, preseason, and in practice. 

If there was a preseason HOF. Peterman would be close to first ballot that guy shredded those 3rd and 4th string defenses

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I never want to see another  Buffalo Bills QB Competition again after the 2018 Pre Season…

Playing against fringe depth players, utilising vanilla defensive schemes in meaningless games is not a good indicator of how a QB will perform in the season proper …

Decide the starter in Camp 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

I don't think they felt he needed to learn from any vet how to play the game. He just needed to take his lumps, get used to the speed of the game, and get comfortable. And that was only going to come from playing. There's very few QB's who would have been able to show him anything new in terms of how he plays the position.

22 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

In 2018, we drafted Josh Allen. He was a project QB, with a lot of potential, but also a lot of work. We were told that we would see little to no Josh that season, because he would be riding the bench and learning his first year. 

I still don't understand, five years later, why Peterman was the guy he was to learn behind. Let's even forget the now legendary 5 INT game. Let's give the benefit of the doubt that Peterman truly did majorly improve to be relatively serviceable, he was still just barely a rookie himself with almost no playing time. 

Why was McDermott and/or Beane so adamant about this kid? Wouldn't the best bet have been to get a Fitzpatrick-esque guy. An experienced veteran, who might not light up the leauge, but would win some games for you, and most importantly play an important mentor role in Josh's development. Seems to have worked for Tua.

Because instead, Peterman sucked, as we all thought, and Josh got thrown to the wolves his rookie year. Obviously it worked out, but it very well may not have.  

It’s not worth the brain energy to rehash that episode in Bills history…, 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

It was pretty simple. They had an open competition and Peterman outplayed him. They knew Allen was far more talented but he was also raw and rather than rush him in to his own detriment, they wanted him to earn the job. Unfortunately it didn't work out, but the thought process made sense then and it makes sense now. Some players are ready right away, but Allen definitely wasn't. His first two years in the league he was a bottom-tier QB.

24 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Peterman wasn't the guy he was expected to learn from. That was supposed to be AJ McCarron and Josh was supposed to carry a clipboard while joined at the hip with Daboll. But as Beane later said, “AJ wasn’t who we thought he was.” And the rest is history.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Flash backs. I get it.   😋

I think the hope was that Peterman the white board savant would rub off on the all world talent who was so raw. My best guess. The guy hung around for a reason. 

20 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Peterman was the trick shot QB, right?  Could be standing in the parking lot, launch a ball over the stands and hit a garbage can at the 50 yard line?  

I believe that was Alex Tanney.   -- See thread below -- it turns out Nathan Peterman also had a trick shot video.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Peterman was the trick shot QB, right?  Could be standing in the parking lot, launch a ball over the stands and hit a garbage can at the 50 yard line?  

Yes - it was Peterman. 

16 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Peterman also had a trick shot video .  But wasn’t as cool as Alex Tanney’s lol

Ok.  I guess I didn't remember the Peterman one.  Tanney was on the Bills preseason squad in 2015.

Edited by Billy Claude

These same coaches benched Tyrod for Peterman in a playoff race. I would not give them too much credit. They are very lucky that Allen has a beast mentality because they have not been the brightest and would argue not helped Allen (that was Daboll, not McD). 

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

It has nothing about learning behind someone ... It's about getting acclimated to the NFL speed and the playbook..

Plenty of talented quarterbacks have been ruined being thrown to the fire ... Sitting a QB and letting him learn the NFL game IS NEVER bad 

41 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Yes - it was Peterman. 

No Peterman wasn't the trick shot QB .. it was Alex tanney

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

It has nothing about learning behind someone ... It's about getting acclimated to the NFL speed and the playbook..

Plenty of talented quarterbacks have been ruined being thrown to the fire ... Sitting a QB and letting him learn the NFL game IS NEVER bad 

No Peterman wasn't the trick shot QB .. it was Alex tanney

1 hour ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

"Bills press employee explains why Bills HC is not starting their #7 pick QB"....lol, nice work.

Anyway, as many of us pointed out at the time, after that first preseason game, McD would not let Petermkan face any other 1st string D's in the preseason.  Why? Because he was dead set on not starting Josh Allen ins week 1....because, derpa derpa, you don't start 1st round top 10 pick rookie QBs!!

Of course this is ridiculous because,  you do.  At least I gave The Crimson Clapper credit for only taking one half of one game to wake from his preseason coma and Josh after halftime, week 1---but it took Peterman's 0.0 first half passer rating to snap McD out of this bizarre delusion.

The rest, as they say, is history.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

How many first-round QBs come in and light the league on fire in their first year?  Answer:  not many.  There's Marino and... and... that's about it.

How many of them nearly get killed after being thrown to the wolves?  Answer:  a lot.  Remember David Carr and Ryan Leaf?

The right move was to have Josh sit and learn for a year a la Mahomes.  The wrong move was to have him learn from McCarron and Peterman.  Fortunately, they realized that pretty quickly and got those two out of there quickly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Huge mistake by McDermott & Beane. If they didn't sign Derek Anderson & Matt Barkley mid-season, we wouldn't have had any fire McDermott threats in 2023 because he would have been long gone & Allen would have busted.

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

McDermott prayed Peterman was the answer. Run the ball, short passes, manage the game.  I feel he hates the type of QB Allen is and I feel he has handcuffed Allen this year. 

Allen is going to need to make a stand and talk to Terry this offseason.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BRH said:

How many first-round QBs come in and light the league on fire in their first year?  Answer:  not many.  There's Marino and... and... that's about it.

And even then he didn't start his first game until almost halfway into the season (he lost to Joe Ferguson in OT in Wk 6).

Although I do think it's much easier for rookie QB's to have success now than it was back then.

• Like (+1) 1

Honestly I think Peterman wasn't devoid of talent but he had a fatal flaw in that pressure really destroyed him. I can see him being useful as like a player who can give a team different looks in practice. 

I think that's why some teams kept him around after the Bills they liked how he practiced. 

Anyway nice enough guy lot of people said he was very good in the locker room.

But he maxed out as practice squad qb. *shrugs* 

Peterman was comical in how bad he was for the Bills but he was a novelty that really didn't cause me any great suffering. The drought now that was true suffering...

Although since he was brought up does anyone have the "Peterman starting qb hype video" that had like a honeycomb background that is one of my favorite videos

31 minutes ago, BRH said:

C.J. Stroud?  Lamar Jackson?  Baker Mayfield?  Cam Newton? They all had decent year ones.

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.