Bass = Norwood

Dr.Sack

17 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Kickers aren't perfect and if you think you can just grab someone to do better, buy a lottery ticket instead.

There are only 2 starting kickers with a worse % than Bass right now.

He is statistically bottom 3 in the NFL at the moment.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Brandon said:

There's nothing wrong with him.  I agree,  he's not having his best season,  but today he had one blocked and missed a 48 yarder in a downpour.  That's not something I'd panic or worry about moving forward. 

He has a knack for missing in must have it games. He seems perfect in blowouts against inferior opponents. I do get Norwood vibes from Bass. I have very little trust in him.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, buffblue said:

To be honest, the notion that Bass was automatic prior to this year has always been flawed. His career fg accuracy of 85.3% ranks in the bottom half of kickers since entering the league. He's never really been "Bassomatic" imo, but this year he seems to have really lost confidence 

We’re likely never going to have an automatic kicker playing in Buffalo .. especially in this current stadium .. but he can go if this is what we’re going to get from him.  

That missed 48 yard FG was a complete momentum shift that gave life to a lifeless opponent. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It's a bummer, since Bass looked like he was going to be our Justin Tucker or Butker for the next decade.  Still, despite the crappy season, his career FG% is the same as the guy who beat us yesterday.  Not ready to run him off just yet, but if the downward trend continues the rest of the season?

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And he was top 3 last year and will be top 3 after we cut him.

He was not top 3 last year. He wasn't even top 10.

But i'm certainly not advocating to cut him.

I just checked and he has never been top 3. He has squeaked into the top 15 the past two years but thats as close as he has gotten.

18 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Stating the obvious this guy has regressed in 2023. Is Bass washed? 

This ST as a whole is trash but I've heard local media saying McDummy won't fire Smiley because he's a US military veteran.

Aside from the that, Bass isn't a guy that can obviously be trusted anymore and after he missed that kick in the 3rd quarter when it would have been a 20-7 lead that was the exact point of the game in which everything turned in the Eagles favor.

Piling this on McD as well. Maybe Bass confidence is shot. How many ~55 yards field goals do they pass on? We are constantly punting from the 40 instead of giving Bass a chance. That tells Bass we dont believe in you. Meanwhile around the league you see more and more kickers making 55+ yard kicks. 

He's definitely middle of the road. The thing that bothers me with him is he seems to have a mental issue with his game. He'll go on a streak where he'll hit everything for a while. Then he'll have a miss or a block and he'll go on a string of being hit or miss. After the block, I was fairly certain his next try up was going to be a miss. And he was money earlier in the season. But lately, he's been very unreliable. He has a big leg, but is nowhere near as accurate as other kickers. I'd like to see some competition brought in next offseason, at the very least.

He's not in the Norwood category yet. Norwood was a great kicker until wide right killed him. I can remember a game in the season after that SB loss vs the Raiders in LA where he missed an extra point and 3 FGs but managed to get the winner. That was not even a year later and he was done! Only kicked 62% of his FG tries and then out of football altogether.

Don't want to pile on but I never understood the Bassomatic stuff.  His statistics are average throughout his career though I guess he should get a boost for kicking in Buffalo's weather.  Even when he was special team player of the month, his "clutch" kick against the jets boinked in off the upright.  That's hardly clutch if you have to rely on getting a lucky bounce.  To me he always had a lot of kicks that just barely made it thru the goalpost.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Respectfully Bass has not been a good kicker this year. He has one job.  18/23 = 78.3%. That’s horrible. 

And 78.3% would be Norwood's second best season.  And 6 points better than Norwood's career average.  Norwood only hit 66% of his tries from 40-49 yds in his best year.

Just some perspective 

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

And 78.3% would be Norwood's second best season.  And 6 points better than Norwood's career average.  Norwood only hit 66% of his tries from 40-49 yds in his best year.

Just some perspective 

And this ain’t 1990 where a good QB completion % is 60%. The game has changed bro.

On 11/26/2023 at 9:01 PM, Dr.Sack said:

Stating the obvious this guy has regressed in 2023. Is Bass washed? 

Im guessing you just know the name Norwood, or arent really a long time fan? Is this bc bass missed wide right?

Norwood was an excellent clutch Pro Bowl kicker. I know this bc i own his probowl jersey...but thats besides the point. The point is, the Bills dont make their 1st 2 SB w/out scotty. For the time,  he was as good as one could hope their kicker could be. Not unlike Bass for that matter. Please use better analogies where you understand the material you are sourcing 

11 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

Im guessing you just know the name Norwood, or arent really a long time fan? Is this bc bass missed wide right?

Norwood was an excellent clutch Pro Bowl kicker. I know this bc i own his probowl jersey...but thats besides the point. The point is, the Bills dont make their 1st 2 SB w/out scotty. For the time,  he was as good as one could hope their kicker could be. Not unlike Bass for that matter. Please use better analogies where you understand the material you are sourcing 

Used in the context that like Norwood who peaked in 1988 and won AFC kicker of year, he was regressing by 1990. Bass similarly is being out kicked when our opponents are near perfect in same games, on same field, under same conditions. I get the down and distances vary; but Bass has continually come up small like Norwood did in XXV. To win a big game you need Vinaterri not Norwood. You need a kicker with ice in his veins. So the question as I see it is Bass is in year 4, is already 26, and fast approaching a point where is age and leg might be wearing down. 

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Anyone else disturbed by Bass 1/3 today? 

Amazingly disturbed.  Have no confidence in the kid to hit any field goal from any distance.   They will need to bring in another kicker in camp for competition.  

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 11/27/2023 at 6:52 PM, Billy Claude said:

Don't want to pile on but I never understood the Bassomatic stuff.  His statistics are average throughout his career though I guess he should get a boost for kicking in Buffalo's weather.  Even when he was special team player of the month, his "clutch" kick against the jets boinked in off the upright.  That's hardly clutch if you have to rely on getting a lucky bounce.  To me he always had a lot of kicks that just barely made it thru the goalpost.

Catchy nickname for an average kicker

27 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Why are most kickers such head cases. It’s like they forget how to kick. This guy went from a stud to not being able to kick a 30yd FG. 

It’s a lot like golf. Over thinking, about the wrong stuff, is the death knell. 

On 11/26/2023 at 6:10 PM, Aussie Joe said:

Seems to have had a few blocked this year … kicking too low ? 

That's part of his recent struggles.  Also that wierd left to right slice is becoming problematic.  I would not let him kick outside 45 yards.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.