McDermott weird comments about Josh Allen

HappyDays

44 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This all sounds pretty bizarre:

Ealier this week McDermott was asked about firing Dorsey and said "OC is a leadership position." Is it possible he felt that Dorsey wasn't getting Allen and the other offensive players into the right mindset and energy? And this more than play calling is what led to the firing?

Here's what my thought process is here. Dorsey is a very intelligent human being. And sometimes the most intelligent in an area actually see that work as a detriment. Dorsey can draw up all the X's and O's but can he communicate how to successfully implement it? 

I've watch Ken's pressers. He is not someone that comes across with any confidence. And it's a theme this year that confidence has been a drum beat in the pressers. I definitely see a coloration.

On the other hand, I watched Joe Brady yesterday. The dude just oozed confidence. He was able to seem fun, personable and like someone who can lead a group of young guys. Both yesterday and today McDermott talked about how Brady brings "the juice". He was out there yesterday running routes with receivers. Not sure I ever saw Dorsey interact like that. 

8 minutes ago, TurfToeJam said:

I've mentioned this in other threads...

It's very odd players never approach/sit by/talk to Allen on the sidelines.  And Allen doesn't approach other players.  Something is not right there,  especially considering Allen has always come off as "down to earth".

The diggs off-season mini drama has to be related.

This is the new norm for QBs and I just don't understand it.  Watch other games, this is not just an Allen thing.  Burrow and Mahomes are the same way.  They just sit on one end of the bench by themselves with some coach.  A far cry from the days of Brady and Manning ripping into teammates and coaches on sideline.  

For people that sit behind bench, do QBs call up and talk to OCs that are in the booth?

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Ealier this week McDermott was asked about firing Dorsey and said "OC is a leadership position." Is it possible he felt that Dorsey wasn't getting Allen and the other offensive players into the right mindset and energy? And this more than play calling is what led to the firing?

I think that is a valid question.  I think Dorsey had Josh thinking too much.  Even Fournette said he'd never seen such a complicated playbook (or words to that effect).   When Josh talked about trying to have a "low positive" energy...I thought it sounded strange.   Didn't he say this week that maybe he was thinking too much?

• Agree 1

So McDummie puts constraints on Josh making Josh not play as well as he used to and wonders why Josh isn't as happy about playing the way McDummie wants him to play, which is showing not to be successful. 

Yeah ,this egomaniac micro manager has lost the locker room! Lost the franchise QB, his days as HC are numbered!

Wouldn't be suprised if the wheels fall completely off in the next few weeks with as difficult as the schedule is.

Edited by LarryMadman
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He blamed one player after another, never pointing the finger at himself. I can't imagine that landed well in the locker room.

Like I've said before in this forum, I'd bet that a lot of players are just in it for a paycheck....we've seen the lack of preparation, failure of execution, and lack of fire, time and time again this year, right? You think they care if McD "throws them under the bus?" Will they work even less than they are doing  now? LOL

And that's if they even know what he said at his presser (or any presser, all year long). You think these guys jump on twitter (or wherever else they publish these lengthy pressers) at night and watch what McD, or Beane, or anyone else says to the media? I highly, highly doubt the latter happens. If I was a player, I know I wouldn't waste my free time watching those pressers.

THEY ARE GETTING PAID MILLIONS for half a year's work, and that's all that matters. You know that 99% of them have ZERO loyalty to a town, a team, or a fanbase, and will jump to another team in a heartbeat for more money, right?

• Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Here's what my thought process is here. Dorsey is a very intelligent human being. And sometimes the most intelligent in an area actually see that work as a detriment. Dorsey can draw up all the X's and O's but can he communicate how to successfully implement it? 

I've watch Ken's pressers. He is not someone that comes across with any confidence. And it's a theme this year that confidence has been a drum beat in the pressers. I definitely see a coloration.

On the other hand, I watched Joe Brady yesterday. The dude just oozed confidence. He was able to seem fun, personable and like someone who can lead a group of young guys. Both yesterday and today McDermott talked about how Brady brings "the juice". He was out there yesterday running routes with receivers. Not sure I ever saw Dorsey interact like that. 

Dorsey reminds me of the brilliant kid in high school that is socially awkward.  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Like I've said before in this forum, I'd bet that a lot of players are just in it for a paycheck....we've seen the lack of preparation, failure of execution, and lack of fire, time and time again this year, right? You think they care if McD "throws them under the bus?" Will they work even less than they are doing  now? LOL

And that's if they even know what he said at his presser (or any presser, all year long). You think these guys jump on twitter (or wherever else they publish these lengthy pressers) at night and watch what McD, or Beane, or anyone else says to the media? I highly, highly doubt the latter happens. If I was a player, I know I wouldn't waste my free time watching those pressers.

THEY ARE GETTING PAID MILLIONS for half a year's work, and that's all that matters. You know that 99% of them have ZERO loyalty to a town, a team, or a fanbase, and will jump to another team in a heartbeat for more money, right?

Which makes it even more important that the coaches are able to motivate them. If they can't motivate then they need to go and bring in someone who can. For all his faults, my belief was McDermott managed that at OBD, even up to Sunday where the hideous "not my fault, guv" press conference made me start to start to doubt it. Nothing has happened since then to change my mind back.

58 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I think that's absolutely a huge part of the firing.  Someone has been telling Allen this "low positive" attitude and restraint from using his legs is critical.  If McDermott's coming out and saying something like this, my guess would be Dorsey was a big part of that. 

Brady looks like the opposite so far, FWIW.

11 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

This is the new norm for QBs and I just don't understand it.  Watch other games, this is not just an Allen thing.  Burrow and Mahomes are the same way.  They just sit on one end of the bench by themselves with some coach.  A far cry from the days of Brady and Manning ripping into teammates and coaches on sideline.  

For people that sit behind bench, do QBs call up and talk to OCs that are in the booth?

That's true.  But mahomes and burrow haven't had stretches of poor play like Allen has.  (Not counting burrow to while he was injured)

However Josh wasn't like that all previous seasons.  How many times would we see Barkley sitting next to Allen going over plays?  

Look, I'm a big Allen fan.  But something is very off this season.  Maybe it is do to unhappiness with coaching.  Or something else.  I definitely think Dorsey did not coach to Allen's strengths.  Not sure McD's coaching style/philosophy fit Allen either. 

The passion for football from Allen is currently missing

Edited by TurfToeJam

When it comes to Josh, maybe it's actually simple. 

A couple of years ago everything was new and fun, and he also had great relationships with a number of people who he no longer has.

1. He was with a woman he had been friends with since they were kids

2. He and Stefon were best buddies

3. Daboll was here as his grumpy but loveable uncle who knew how to push the right buttons at the right times and it all seemed to work

4. Everything was new. Stardom, money, accolades. Josh Allen was appointment TV. You never knew what he would do next, but he was going to put on a show.

Some of this might just be changes in his life. He is no longer in that relationship. Daboll is gone. Stefon seems to always be pissed off at him. His game isn't quite where it was. The team is losing and the pressure is different. It's not new anymore, now there are real expectations. 

Not to be too corny, but we can all probably remember a time in life when everything was "magical." There's tons of movies and literature about that feeling, and what happens when we lose that feeling and things become mundane. 

Could be why he doesn't have the same look in his eyes, and I'm glad McDermott said it too, because everyone can see it. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, TurfToeJam said:

True I am unable to go to games and only see what TV gives me.  But I've seen him interact all previous seasons (on TV too.)  But not this season.  

It's obvious there is something going on here.  

well of course... Dorsey should of been fired weeks ago... He lost confidence in his OC and im sure he just at times wanted to be left to his own resources.. but to your previous comment you made? 1000% wrong...

25 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This has been going on since after the Broncos game. McDermott has been in self-preservation mode. He praised the defensive players for playing their asses off, giving them (and his own play calling) no fault for the loss. He then went on to criticize the offense heavily and fired his OC the next day. When asked about the end of game FG debacle he commented that they had practiced that situation throughout the week but "failed to execute." His post game presser was completely unhinged. He blamed one player after another, never pointing the finger at himself. I can't imagine that landed well in the locker room.

I can't get over how weird it is to bring up Allen's joy playing at Wyoming lol

This dude never says anything even remotely interesting in press conferences and now he's reminiscing about scouting Josh Allen in college like wtf😂😂😂

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LarryMadman said:

So McDummie puts constraints on Josh making Josh not play as well as he used to and wonders why Josh isn't as happy about playing the way McDummie wants him to play, which is showing not to be successful. 

Yeah ,this egomaniac micro manager has lost the locker room! Lost the franchise QB, his days as HC are numbered!

Wouldn't be suprised if the wheels fall completely off in the next few weeks with as difficult as the schedule is.

That’s kinda what I’m sensing too.

This team has a fragile confidence right now. 

The Coach is harping on turnovers (code word for Allen), benching “young players” who don’t have trust yet, and wanting more energy (code word: offense). 

He’s one bad loss away, and maybe just a loss, away from getting the questions about his job. 

He’s been quick to remind people this week of how many games “we’ve” (code word: he’s) won around here. 

3 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

I think that's absolutely a huge part of the firing.  Someone has been telling Allen this "low positive" attitude and restraint from using his legs is critical.  If McDermott's coming out and saying something like this, my guess would be Dorsey was a big part of that. 

Brady looks like the opposite so far, FWIW.

There is no way I believe that McDermott is pushing for Allen to run more. 

• Agree 1

Rather than over-analyzing things going on in his personal life, it may simply be that the cards simply have not fallen his way this season. And he (and the entire offense) is in a slump because of it.

The arc of the season as it relates to Josh Allen has been odd to say the least.

Opening game against the Jets, he turns the ball over 4 times and is admittedly the big reason the Bills lose to the Rodgers-less Jets. After the game, Josh accepts the blame and vows to do a better job protecting the ball -- which he does, until recently.

He rebounds after that and goes on a tear for 3 weeks in which he looks unstoppable.

The team travels to the UK, gets jet-lagged, the defense loses some key contributors on defense -- and then the offense begins its funk for the next several games.

I agree that something isn't quite right -- over-coaching? pressing? not taking what the opposing defense is giving him? Remember, defensive coordinators around the league get paid well too. There is now plenty of film on Josh and certain teams (Jets, Bengals, Jags) have done well making him uncomfortable. It's a copycat league -- and even the likes of the Pats and Giants emulated some of the things these other teams have done to slow him down.

Also, other posters have shown just how UNLUCKY he has been so far this season. He actually has more turnovers than turnover-worthy plays, as opposed to players like Tua and Stroud who have gotten away with multiple mistakes with far fewer actual turnovers. The same is true of the offense as a whole, as the Bills have lost virtually every fumble they put on the ground. As Orlovsky said, the margin of error for this offense has been VERY thin.

Now, does that mean that the law of averages will bear out -- and their luck will turn? Does it mean that this simply is not their year? Regardless, the playoffs begin now for this team. They probably can't afford to lose more than 1 more game from here on out. And it is up to Brady to figure out a way to make Josh comfortable, perhaps simplify the offense and put them in the best position to succeed.

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

The “I have my own thoughts, but I won’t go there right now” comment seemed off-color and kind of unnecessary.   Otherwise, I agree with you

Also seems like he’s placing blame at Allen. Good way to get your QB and everyone else’s buy in. Start throwing them all under the bus. Freaking idiot. 

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

The “I have my own thoughts, but I won’t go there right now” comment seemed off-color and kind of unnecessary.   Otherwise, I agree with you

True. I'm guessing his thoughts include some criticism for how Dorsey was leading the offense.

18 minutes ago, TurfToeJam said:

True I am unable to go to games and only see what TV gives me.  But I've seen him interact all previous seasons (on TV too.)  But not this season.  

It's obvious there is something going on here.  

It’s not obvious. What is obvious is only the 30-60 seconds per game the production crews choose to show of Allen on the sidelines 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

Well Allen takes every chance he can to remind everyone how there is nothing to do in Buffalo. 

6 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

A couple of years ago everything was new and fun, and he also had great relationships with a number of people who he no longer has.

3. Daboll was here as his grumpy but loveable uncle who knew how to push the right buttons at the right times and it all seemed to work

4. Everything was new. Stardom, money, accolades. Josh Allen was appointment TV. You never knew what he would do next, but he was going to put on a show.

Some of this might just be changes in his life. He is no longer in that relationship. Daboll is gone. Stefon seems to always be pissed off at him. His game isn't quite where it was. The team is losing and the pressure is different. It's not new anymore, now there are real expectations. 

Could be why he doesn't have the same look in his eyes, and I'm glad McDermott said it too, because everyone can see it. 

But they will make damn sure to show him sitting on the sideline by himself if he throws a pick.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Well Allen takes every chance he can to remind everyone how there is nothing to do in Buffalo. 

Though that could be an added issue. When things are going badly, he has no one to be around. Presumably Halie is in LA. His family back in Wyoming. The relationship with Diggs has faltered. Daboll has moved on. With his relationshp with Brittney breaking down, who does he have to take him out of a funk, to try and distract him or give him confidence? Face to face is always better than zoom calls in this scenario.

So, whilst you say it in quite a cutting way, it may be another factor on top of everything else.

2 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

But they will make damn sure to show him sitting on the sideline by himself if he throws a pick.

I swear there were clips of him doing the same thing against the Pats? Again, the defense which can do no wrong did no wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

I brought this up in the Dorsey got fired thread. This is definitely the reason.

Josh would be having a lot more fun if his star wide receiver were not screaming at him on the sidelines or the brother of that same wide receiver posting sh*t on social media.

Edited by Peter
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

52 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

If you think those comments are weird you should have heard him talk on WGR right before his press conference.  I really haven't had a problem with McD and some of the things he says but this was kind of a "this is my team and you need to do it my way" kind of comment and it really made me lose faith in him.

He was asked about the Cook benching after the fumble and basically said that he hadn't earned his trust the same as someone that might have been with the team for a longer period of time.

I'm assuming this is a direct "trust" comparison between benching Cook and not benching Davis after he had an INT go off of his hands.  So a guy who fumbled twice in 27 games gets less trust than a 58% catch percentage receiver.  Got it.

Benching Cook was possibly the biggest reason that we lost the Broncos game. McDummy screwed the pooch, and enjoyed it, thoroughly.   Couple that with his idiotic decisions against the Bengals and we should be 7-3 instead of 5-5. He's worn out his welcome and needs to go, right ***** now!  (and then hang up)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Not to be too corny, but we can all probably remember a time in life when everything was "magical." There's tons of movies and literature about that feeling, and what happens when we lose that feeling and things become mundane. 

Biggest issue I have with this is, McDingbat is the leader of the team. He is responsible for this. If he has been seeing this, the move should have been made long ago. Or at least something should have been done about it long ago. Now that Dorsey is gone, Clappy McJesus is now throwing others under the bus to help keep more cushion around himself. We will see soon enough if Dorsey was the problem. Of things don’t change, or get even worse, it’s pretty obvious that the team has given up on what McDufus is selling. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This has been going on since after the Broncos game. McDermott has been in self-preservation mode. He praised the defensive players for playing their asses off, giving them (and his own play calling) no fault for the loss. He then went on to criticize the offense heavily and fired his OC the next day. When asked about the end of game FG debacle he commented that they had practiced that situation throughout the week but "failed to execute." His post game presser was completely unhinged. He blamed one player after another, never pointing the finger at himself. I can't imagine that landed well in the locker room.

Maybe he should be taking blame for the end-of-game debacle? https://theathletic.com/5066747/2023/11/16/bills-mayday-field-goal-12-men-penalty-sean-mcdermott/. There is zero reason that the Bills should have done a fire-drill change of personnel like Denver did, and this article stresses that. Just keep your base defense out there and eliminate the risk of a personnel snafu. That's on McDermott as much as the ST coach.

'The Athletic talked to two recently out-of-the-game special teams coordinators and three other current NFL staffers who work closely with coaching decisions, and all five agreed that an NFL team should not sub out their existing defense for the field goal block defense when they are operating in a “mayday” field goal situation. There’s not enough time to guarantee a clean substitution (under two minutes, the officials don’t stand over the ball to allow a man-for-man substitution) and the chances of blocking a field goal are miniscule.

“Defensively, we would never substitute an opponent’s mayday situation for the exact reason (of) what happened the other night,” said Mike Priefer, longtime special teams coordinator for four NFL teams, most recently the Cleveland Browns.

Over the past five seasons, just 2.2 percent of all field goal attempts have been blocked across the NFL (86 of 3,925), and it’s been even less common with the game on the line. Over the same span, just 1.8 percent of all potential game-tying/go-ahead field goal attempts in the fourth quarter or overtime have been blocked (7 of 392).

Buffalo has actually had better-than-average results on this play. The Bills have blocked 2.7 percent of all opponent field goal attempts under head coach Sean McDermott, the seventh-highest rate across the NFL since his first season in 2017. That includes 7.1 percent of potential game-tying/go-ahead attempts in the fourth quarter or OT by their opponents (1 of 14).

But that’s still not enough reward to risk a more likely and unnecessary result: Having too many men on the field.

“You don’t want to give them a second chance,” Priefer said. “Whatever 11 is on the field, in a mayday situation, nickel or dime, keep them out there and make sure you don’t have more than six on the line of scrimmage on one side of the center or the other, and make sure you come off the edge.”'

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am guessing McDermott wants the run over linebackers and come up with a huge snarky Grin Josh Allen which Kyle Brandt made famous with his angry run award

THAT one . The one that enjoys contact and comes out of it like a Bull on Fire Josh full of swagger confidence and positive results

What makes my thought a bit ironic is that it was McDermott himself who attempted to tame the franchise QB from his natural run over people nature.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

I don't care who the OC is, or how "bad" your team is, if you're making $40 mil A YEAR (6 months, really), and you're playing a game, and you're not happy just to go out there and play, you need professional, mental help.

This is an absurd take.  It’s $43 million a year.

• Haha (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mannc said:

McDermott is acting like a guy who is under a lot of pressure and is not handling it very well.  Not a good look for the franchise.

While this isn't the case, at least I can't imagine, he is acting like a guy that wants to get fired and collect four years worth of headcoaching extension money.  

9 minutes ago, Peter said:

Josh would be having a lot more fun if his star wide receiver were not screaming at him on the sidelines or the brother of that same wide receiver posting sh*t on social media.

Get him another playmaker. 

We’ve stalled because we added Diggs in 2020 and stopped. 

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This could be as simple as he got along great with Josh as the quarterback coach, but when it was time for him to be coordinator, they crashed

Could be a simple as that

that's the hope, for sure.  It seems more than that.  I think McD will be one of those great D coordinators who isn't HC material.  

6 minutes ago, mrags said:

Biggest issue I have with this is, McDingbat is the leader of the team. He is responsible for this. If he has been seeing this, the move should have been made long ago. Or at least something should have been done about it long ago. Now that Dorsey is gone, Clappy McJesus is now throwing others under the bus to help keep more cushion around himself. We will see soon enough if Dorsey was the problem. Of things don’t change, or get even worse, it’s pretty obvious that the team has given up on what McDufus is selling. 

McDingbat, Clappy McJesus, and McDufus!!!  Three worthy additions!!

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.