McDermott weird comments about Josh Allen

HappyDays

This all sounds pretty bizarre:

Ealier this week McDermott was asked about firing Dorsey and said "OC is a leadership position." Is it possible he felt that Dorsey wasn't getting Allen and the other offensive players into the right mindset and energy? And this more than play calling is what led to the firing?

• Like (+1) 13
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Ealier this week McDermott was asked about firing Dorsey and said "OC is a leadership position." Is it possible he felt that Dorsey wasn't getting Allen and the other offensive players into the right mindset and energy? And this more than play calling is what led to the firing?

Isn't this the impression we got from Diggs?

• Like (+1) 5

agree 100% more than just scheme. It was apparent when Brady had his press conference and he said that I want to see that look in Josh's eye again and all the rah rah rhetoric.  They all know that Josh is the engine and they have to keep him in the right positive mindset

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

For all the talk about Dorsey's X's and O's I think your point was likely his biggest flaw. A huge part of coaching isn't just telling people the right things to do, it is getting them to do those things, finding the right words, to get the desired results. In fact, most coaches in the NFL are likely pretty comparable when it comes to x's and o's, but the difference between good to great is communicating that, and providing the proper environment/structure around it. 

Like a bunch of former QB's have said "guys are open, you have to make a play". Some of that is on the individual and some is on the coach. 

Whatever Dorsey was saying, nobody was hearing. It was time to move on because of that more so than any play call. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Says the team that has given Allen Diggs and scrap parts to throw to, a below average offensive line in his time here, and doesn’t allow him to run anymore. 

It’s not all on the Bills, I think Allen sounds strange now and looks weird on the sidelines, and has admitted to not working as hard as he can.

This team lacks playmakers, and the scheme has not been cutting edge.

So Allen is having to play death by 1,000 papercuts offense and getting grilled relentlessly about turnovers from his coach and media. 

This franchise has spent their money on defense. 

Invest heavily in the offense and I think Allen comes back. 

Greg Cosell last night with Farrar - the Bills are not a talented offense. They became predictable on offense. Stefon Diggs is a high level possession receiver. They don’t have a vertical component in their offense. 

All this with a strong armed QB that wants to make plays down the field.

And we sit here and scratch our head and say why can’t we score 30 every week? 

Allen is LeBron in Cleveland the first time around. 

Hey Josh here is a 1986 Camaro, now get out there win races. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 2

If you think those comments are weird you should have heard him talk on WGR right before his press conference.  I really haven't had a problem with McD and some of the things he says but this was kind of a "this is my team and you need to do it my way" kind of comment and it really made me lose faith in him.

He was asked about the Cook benching after the fumble and basically said that he hadn't earned his trust the same as someone that might have been with the team for a longer period of time.

I'm assuming this is a direct "trust" comparison between benching Cook and not benching Davis after he had an INT go off of his hands.  So a guy who fumbled twice in 27 games gets less trust than a 58% catch percentage receiver.  Got it.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 25
  • Angry 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, mannc said:

McDermott is acting like a guy who is under a lot of pressure and is not handling with it very well.  Not a good look for the franchise.

Absolutely agree.

He says Josh doesn’t have that look in his eye, I’d say he sounds like a Coach who is scraping the bottom of the barrel for answers.

Hes running out people to blame for his team continuing to come out flat and uninspired. Can’t blame the fans, can’t blame the owners, fired both coordinators now.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 7

13 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I mean it's not that weird, it's what we've all been seeing with Josh.  He's just not the same guy right now.

The thing that strikes me is McD being so forthcoming with how little he usually says about anything.  

You don't think this is a weird thing to say as a head coach in reference to your QB?

...McDermott on why he think that's dissipated with Allen over the last few weeks: "Yeah, I have my own thoughts, but I won’t go there right now. '

That is a legitimately bizarre thing to say in a press conference.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

I mean it's not that weird, it's what we've all been seeing with Josh.  He's just not the same guy right now.

The thing that strikes me is McD being so forthcoming with how little he usually says about anything.  

Exactly. I see a man who really doesn't care,like screw it.  The fun and excitement is gone.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

You don't think this is a weird thing to say as a head coach in reference to your QB?

...McDermott on why he think that's dissipated with Allen over the last few weeks: "Yeah, I have my own thoughts, but I won’t go there right now. '

Yes, I agree the fact that he actually made those comments is unusual.  That's the weird part, not the take itself which seems evident.   

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

All the other thoughts he shared weren’t his, apparently.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I agree on that.  I still wonder if there isn't some off the field crap going on.

OR... McDermott has put restrictions on him and that has caused it

All that does is add more fuel to the there is internal disfunction fire at OBD.

Didn’t  Tim Graham report that last year? Or the year before that? 

Obviously that’s McDermott and Daboll butting heads about running the ball. 

Just now, SWATeam said:

Yes, I agree the fact that he actually made those comments is unusual.  That's the weird part, not the take itself which seems evident.   

That's my point. Even in the postgame presser he was clearly flustered and immediately went to bat for the defense while saying the offense is the problem.

The guy is not approaching his job like an HC right now. He's just responding like a defensive coordinator.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Coldfronts said:

agree 100% more than just scheme. It was apparent when Brady had his press conference and he said that I want to see that look in Josh's eye again and all the rah rah rhetoric.  They all know that Josh is the engine and they have to keep him in the right positive mindset

Let the confidence rebuilding begin.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That's my point. Even in the postgame presser he was clearly flustered and immediately went to bat for the defense while saying the offense is the problem.

The guy is not approaching his job like an HC right now. He's just responding like a defensive coordinator.

I mean, let's be honest, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. 😉

That’s right.

He clearly has no ideas on how to coach an offense to score in the NFL circa 2023.

He feels it closing in. The QBs psyche is fragile, the teams confidence is fragile, and he’s about 1 bad loss away from getting asked about his job security. 

The pre step to that is constantly asking about having too much on his plate running the defense and HC.

Soon it will be Sean any concerns about your job? 

22 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I don't care who the OC is, or how "bad" your team is, if you're making $40 mil A YEAR (6 months, really), and you're playing a game, and you're not happy just to go out there and play, you need professional, mental help.

Wall Street execs and stockbrokers are just as susceptible to these kind of mental issues as someone "playing a game", so enough with that... a job is a job, no matter if it's trading or throwing a football in a professional league. People get on bad streaks, go into bad funks, etc, etc... it's called LIFE.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

food for thought that I hadn't considered before today

in a battle of wills that would eventually decide who stays and who goes, could Allen potentially lose out to McDermott?

Zero percent chance of that.  Opening a new stadium and you’re gonna sell fans McD instead of JA17?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 10
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

Zero percent chance of that.  Opening a new stadium and you’re gonna sell fans McD instead of JA17?

That's how I felt before today

but after listening to everything McDermott has put out publicly since Denver....he's been uncharacteristically critical of the offense and Allen in particular

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

He was asked about the Cook benching after the fumble and basically said that he hadn't earned his trust the same as someone that might have been with the team for a longer period of time.

I'm assuming this is a direct "trust" comparison between benching Cook and not benching Davis after he had an INT go off of his hands.  So a guy who fumbled twice in 27 games gets less trust than a 58% catch percentage receiver.  Got it.

Wow that is unhinged. Cook hadn't fumbled since his very first snap in his very first game. We lost two drives because of Murray's mistakes - on one drive he dropped a pass with only one man to beat in front of him, and then on another drive he got tracked down and tackled by a freaking nose tackle.

McDermott is floundering IMO.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.