McDermott weird comments about Josh Allen

HappyDays

6 hours ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Agreed but Sean McDermott next year is the real pressure because if the Buffalo Bills potentially miss the playoffs this season and potentially miss the playoffs next season he is 99.9% percent chance he will be fired. After tomorrow if the Buffalo Bills don’t beat the New York Jets the Bills can say goodbye for the playoffs until next season. Once the Bills are totally eliminated from playoffs they need to shut down Josh Allen until next season. Have Josh Allen get fixed whatever he needs to be fixed health wise so he is healthy and ready for training camp in 2024. Because there is no point playing Josh Allen in meaning less football games in 2023 putting more wear on Josh Allen body exposing him to potential injury in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I don’t know why people believe MCDermott is safe until next year, no matter what.  He certainly doesn’t think so.  He looks and acts like a dead man walking.

23 hours ago, Luka said:

Ken Dorsey strikes me as the guy who's always angry at work no matter what the situation. I know that the overall mood at OBD is pretty poor right now. McDermott has not been great at managing the personalities on the team. His loyalty to people he has worked with prior has stagnated the team. The situation with Elam comes to mind. Rather than develop young talent, McDermott wants a guy he's coached before or one of his friends in the league coached them or they had dinner together or whatever the case. He is after like minded people because he really struggles with people outside of his comfort zone. 

Daboll was a big personality in the building. He built a close relationship with the best player on the team. For better or worse, he was creative. I think he related to the guys in the room better. Guys wanted to play for him. I mean the 13 second Bills had a Super Bowl winning offense. That side of the ball was absolutely unbelievable for most of that year. And I don't think McDermott had a single thing to do with it. And that was an issue.

Diggs has become a toxic and polarizing figure on the team. The mellow drama that has played out with him this offseason and still continues into this week, should have been shut down immediately. But now his brother has created a rift between the franchise quarterback and not just his #1 receiver, but who he considers his best friend. And anyone who's ever held a job knows, these kinds of incidents at work definitely create tension. Everyone will have their own opinion about the situation. And the incidents with Josh on the sidelines. Are those truly harmless interactions? While a great player, I would not think that these would go unchecked by the head coach. The reports this offseason that Diggs may not even report for training camp eluded to a rift between coaches and players, Diggs clearly the figurehead in this situation.

Fraizer was fired. Statistically, coached a top 5 defense in Buffalo. Assistant head coach. A highly respected coach and human being through out the NFL. Coaches typically don't step away from a position where they have been successful. The way it was presented outside of OBD, to me, hints at a power struggle that happened shortly after the end of the season and one that was lost by Fraizer. In my opinion, McDermott not bringing on a new defensive coordinator was a mistake, but it was never about who he felt could coach the defense successfully. It was about power within the organization.  

In the press conference, the mentioning of what a great relationship he has with Terry is what should worry all of us the most. He's basically saying to the media, don't bother asking about my status with the company or if I'll be fired, because he knows he won't be. Anyone that questions McDermott has been steamrolled right out of the building. Two very influential coaches in two consecutive offseasons. He puts Ken Dorsey, his guy, in as offensive coordinator. He no longer has an assistant head coach or a defensive coordinator. He already had a great deal of influence when it came to the draft and personnel decisions off the field.

This team is more McDermott's than it ever has been. These press conferences will become more and more unsettled if the team continues to flounder because he has truly run out of scapegoats. Talking about "what's wrong with Josh" might be foreshadowing to who's going to bear the burden of McDermott's failures as a coach and leader this offseason.

Re: Diggs, the only “mellow drama” are posts like this. All the dude wants to do is win and retire as a Bill. And he shut down the chatter around his brother’s idiotic Tweets.

10 hours ago, McDeerInTheHeadlights said:

If 'dogs' are what we are lacking, how about sending McBeane a memo. Less choir boys and more dogs when it comes to the draft and free agency. Or does this dog thing apply to Josh only?

That's an interesting point.  Who are the dogs?  I'd say they are Diggs, Murray, probably Spencer Brown, Hyde, Poyer, Bernard, Taron Johnson.  

If your point is their aren't enough, I agree.   I've been commenting for a while that McDermott's love affair with the swiss-army-knife guys has gone too far.  At some point, you gotta have guys who are really tough to deal with at just their position, even if they're the only positions the guys play.  

1 hour ago, mannc said:

I don’t know why people believe MCDermott is safe until next year, no matter what.  He certainly doesn’t think so.  He looks and acts like a dead man walking.

I firmly believe the final 7 games starting today are like a 7 game tryout period for him.

Depending upon what we do and how we look, he will or will not be back.

And yes, I think he knows this (i.e., Pegula has talked with him).

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

There is a lurking downside to the Bills OC job that counters your bolded claim (that this OC job is as appealing as it's ever been): the Head Coach. 

The Bills OC job is the premier OC opening in the league. 

You get Josh, an ascending Kincaid, and probably a say in a new WR2.  You also get credit for the success -unlike being in the shadow of an offensive minded head coach, like the situation E Bieniemy had in KC.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I remember it differently. They had a Super Bowl-winning offense in the playoffs (and even so, against the Chiefs, had a signature 3rd quarter stagnation when they suddenly started running the ball unimaginatively, and ineffectively, for two straight drives -- who does that sound like?). Those two games , however, really effed with offensive expectations moving forward, and seemingly revised the real history of that 2021 regular season offense. The Bills offense was NOT "absolutely unbelievable for most of that year."

Even with a couple rough games they were the third scoring offense in the league. They played a wild card game in which they didn't punt. The negativity around the team now has skewed the perception of that team. The offense was dominant that season. No real other way to frame it. 4000+ passing yards, 2000+ rushing yards and nearly 500 points. 

39 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's an interesting point.  Who are the dogs?  I'd say they are Diggs, Murray, probably Spencer Brown, Hyde, Poyer, Bernard, Taron Johnson.  

If your point is their aren't enough, I agree.   I've been commenting for a while that McDermott's love affair with the swiss-army-knife guys has gone too far.  At some point, you gotta have guys who are really tough to deal with at just their position, even if they're the only positions the guys play.  

Except for the OL I don’t really think the Swiss army thing makes sense. Yes they move guys around on the DL but so does every other team. And having guys that can play multiple spots on the OL makes sense when you can’t dress everyone.

1 hour ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Re: Diggs, the only “mellow drama” are posts like this. All the dude wants to do is win and retire as a Bill. And he shut down the chatter around his brother’s idiotic Tweets.

Having a tantrum and threatening to not report to the team doesn't strike you as concerning? I guess in these situations, perception is reality. To me, Diggs seems more concerned with Diggs and he's the only guy on the team bringing these types of issues to the locker room. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-bills-ol-quinton-spain-171514632.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAF-187Ft7J3eALJHYmQFlPMYnlRIkzYBpFQKqTdDKF_45JmkZrRPkuH18uCOwav74s0J5LRiv0A0Rj05b4MAqXrt-98-66Y2XC8tUWx30ky0lcyF4NH_qEaQDO__SdEhY2DYIUdbvCpS-rtb6MHFQ2oOfl4plOzj6JrjR6Fn7iAA

Again, I will reiterate, McDermott has an issue handling the personalities in the locker room. I guess you can believe the PR spin after the fact but to me, it must be serious if there has to be a PR spin put on it in the first place. 🤷

Edited by Luka

On 11/17/2023 at 11:50 AM, Bob Jones said:

I don't care who the OC is, or how "bad" your team is, if you're making $40 mil A YEAR (6 months, really), and you're playing a game, and you're not happy just to go out there and play, you need professional, mental help.

Agree'd ! Isn't being in the NFL the "Ultimate American Dream" You get to play a game & make MILLIONS of dollars ! 

Not saying it's not hard work but i bet it beats laying brick 6 days a week or being a cop . Just saying .

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Except for the OL I don’t really think the Swiss army thing makes sense. Yes they move guys around on the DL but so does every other team. And having guys that can play multiple spots on the OL makes sense when you can’t dress everyone.

He doesn't like the Swiss army knife only for the reason you give, which is a good reason.  He wants to be able to play every style, so he doesn't want a true road-grader at guard, because the guard has to be able to pass protect and pull downfield.   He wants a kick-returner wideout who can run the jet sweep, so he can threaten you in multiple ways.   

The trouble with Swiss army knives is that nothing about them is really good at a single thing.  A real corkscrew is a better cork screw, a real can opener is a better can opener, a real screwdriver is a better screwdriver.   And where we started, a real dog is better than a Swiss army knife dog. 

7 minutes ago, Luka said:

Having a tantrum and threatening to not report to the team doesn't strike you as concerning? I guess in these situations, perception is reality. To me, Diggs seems more concerned with Diggs and he's the only guy on the team bringing these types of issues to the locker room. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-bills-ol-quinton-spain-171514632.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAF-187Ft7J3eALJHYmQFlPMYnlRIkzYBpFQKqTdDKF_45JmkZrRPkuH18uCOwav74s0J5LRiv0A0Rj05b4MAqXrt-98-66Y2XC8tUWx30ky0lcyF4NH_qEaQDO__SdEhY2DYIUdbvCpS-rtb6MHFQ2oOfl4plOzj6JrjR6Fn7iAA

Again, I will reiterate, McDermott has an issue handling the personalities in the locker room. I guess you can believe the PR spin after the fact but to me, it must be serious if there has to be a PR spin put on it in the first place. 🤷

What tantrum? Hitting the boiling point during a terrible season ending loss after a tumultuous season for the entire organization?

Please post a link documenting a threat to not report to the team. He missed one workout before TC and talked it out with the team.

If Diggs was only concerned with Diggs, he'd be bitching about targets which has not done ... and he'd had already forced his way out.

And I'm not following the Quinton Spain link .... bizarre

Your take sounds right out of the Nick Wright, sh*t-stirring playbook 

49 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

The Bills OC job is the premier OC opening in the league. 

You get Josh, an ascending Kincaid, and probably a say in a new WR2.  You also get credit for the success -unlike being in the shadow of an offensive minded head coach, like the situation E Bieniemy had in KC.

For these same reasons, the Bills will have their choice of head coaching candidates…

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, McDeerInTheHeadlights said:

That's not just a lineman. It's a LT, arguably one of the top 3 most important positions in a football team. The guy in charge of protecting the fella playing the "most difficult and important position in sports".

If you believe that a LT or any other position comes close to doing what a Qb does, I don’t know how to help you. 

5 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

It isnt. You have zero proof that it is. He still worked with Palmer just like he always has. 

Each off season joshworked with Palmer showing a commitment to coming back better. He did not do that this off season and said as much in his PCs and Kyle brandts basement. Look it up 

14 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

If you believe that a LT or any other position comes close to doing what a Qb does, I don’t know how to help you. 

Each off season joshworked with Palmer showing a commitment to coming back better. He did not do that this off season and said as much in his PCs and Kyle brandts basement. Look it up 

Thats funny because Palmer said he did work with Josh this off season but part of Josh off season was spent rehabbing his elbow too. Look it up.

In fact I will save you the trouble: 

Not only does he work with him in the off season but they have zoom calls during the season and break down tape together.  Enough of the made up crap becoming truth around here.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Thats funny because Palmer said he did work with Josh this off season but part of Josh off season was spent rehabbing his elbow too. Look it up.

In fact I will save you the trouble: 

Not only does he work with him in the off season but they have zoom calls during the season and break down tape together.  Enough of the made up crap becoming truth around here.

Where did it say they worked together this off-season? In fact I’m pretty sure he did not. He spent a lot of time golfing and hanging out and said he plays the game differently and spends his off season differently as well. On Joe Marinos podcast from the other day, he reiterated that sentiment. I hope that you are wrong and Josh spends the time this coming offseason doing what he did in the past to get back to form because if you’re right we don’t know what the issue is

25 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

Where did it say they worked together this off-season? In fact I’m pretty sure he did not. He spent a lot of time golfing and hanging out and said he plays the game differently and spends his off season differently as well. On Joe Marinos podcast from the other day, he reiterated that sentiment. I hope that you are wrong and Josh spends the time this coming offseason doing what he did in the past to get back to form because if you’re right we don’t know what the issue is

I'm done dude. If you think Josh doesn't work his ass off then you are out of your mind. He also needs rest.  He can't be throwing balls year round.  So what he goes golfing. 

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

I'm done dude. If you think Josh doesn't work his ass off then you are out of your mind. He also needs rest.  He can't be throwing balls year round.  So what he goes golfing. 

The great ones want it. They work all year at it especially at the QB position. Let’s agree to disagree 

McDermott’s issue with Josh is Allen’s off season, and probably in-season, dedication to football. McDermott is a pro. He is not going to hold public court to discuss his personal judgements on his quarterback’s personal life decisions. This is all about football. McDermott is disappointed with Allen. 

The head coach of this football team, who may not be the best in-game caller, and may be a bit of a disappointment himself in the playoffs, has won a lot of football games around here, and he’s calling out JA17. Fans should be on that, not making excuses and infallibility in-defense claims of the 27 year old big baby boy. 

On 11/17/2023 at 7:34 PM, cDAVIS said:

Shaking? I don't know, I'm assuming you are being sarcastic or we were watching a totally different presser. It was business as usual for McDermott. 

While he has been at the head of many massive blunders, let's not forget what McDermott has done for this team and us fans. People are too quick to forget. I agree, we may need to move on and get another coach but some of you guys act like he's a bad coach when that is definitely not the case. 

Watch the end of of before he got up out of the chair… Ge was nervous as fuk and shaking 

21 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

There is a lurking downside to the Bills OC job that counters your bolded claim (that this OC job is as appealing as it's ever been): the Head Coach. 

Fair point! My counterpoint: Everyone has seen by now that there’s some heat on McD. Strong chance that the next OC hire is also first in line for the interim HC job if McD gets fired. 

It seems that Dorsey was bringing bad energy. Gut feeling said after the change the Bills would go on a run. Will it be enough, time will tell but it was obvious that something was there that was bringing the O down. If Brady is the cure to the disease that was plaguing this team, then watch out. Bills football may become fun to watch again. The upcoming game against the Eagles will be telling. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.