McDermott weird comments about Josh Allen

HappyDays

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean to me, and maybe it's the confirmation bias talking so take it fwiw, this sounds exactly like getting the narrative out there that the offense is the root cause of all the issues. Because it can't be the defense. Because McDermott's in charge of the defense.

The defense is not going to lead this team to a championship.  If Josh Allen was playing like we know he can everything would be right in the world and we wouldn't be digging in every corner for "what's wrong."  Josh is the franchise and we will go as he goes.  The only thing that matters is getting him right and it does seem to be some sort of mental issue.

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You don't think this is a weird thing to say as a head coach in reference to your QB?

...McDermott on why he think that's dissipated with Allen over the last few weeks: "Yeah, I have my own thoughts, but I won’t go there right now. '

That is a legitimately bizarre thing to say in a press conference.

Veiled shot at Dorsey?

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, mannc said:

McDermott is acting like a guy who is under a lot of pressure and is not handling it very well.  Not a good look for the franchise.

Not sure why some are reacting with the disagree emoji. This is a very valid observation. 

Dude has had it relatively easy. Make no mistake, he inherited a team already on the rise. He is a decent coach. He is not a SB winning coach. Things finally aren’t coming up all rainbows and sunshine and he’s cracking.

Clap less. Do more.  

Edited by stevestojan
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

food for thought that I hadn't considered before today

in a battle of wills that would eventually decide who stays and who goes, could Allen potentially lose out to McDermott?

You and I have argued about Allen a bit over the years. But that would be insane. Allen is the franchise. He is the most important person at OBD, getting and keeping him firing hot is and should always be the priority. 

If the Bills were to move on from Allen, it can't be over a battle of wills. He has to be toast, done, or "washed" as the kiddos say these days. And I don't believe Allen's and I don't thin Allen believes or wants his career to be over. 

Soooo.....Deuces McD. 

McDermott has messed with Allen's head.  He's done more to neutralize one of the best offenses in the league than any other DC.  Allen needs to run with the ball.  Not necessarily designed QB runs but let him roll out and if doesn't like what he sees then let him run. 

Yeah nobody wants him to get hit/hurt and that's where McD needs to emphasize to slide or run out of bounds.  If Allen runs more, it will open up the offense.  Opposing defenses aren't concerned about Allen running anymore. 

McD did the typical thing of overcorrecting an issue and has made things worse.  Now Allen is thinking too much and the Bills offense is sputtering.  Can't wait until the off-season where McGenius says we need to score more points.

Edited by juno999
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I have not liked what I've been hearing from Sean McDermott lately.

I'll say it again: for a guy that preaches "accountability" so loudly and so often, he sure does seem to lack it lately.

For whatever may have been going wrong with the offense and the QB, guess what, Sean? YOU'RE THE HEAD COACH OF THE TEAM. THE BUCK STOPS WITH YOU.

I have always been a staunch McDermott defender, but he is really testing my patience lately. His act is wearing thin to me, and I'm just a fan. I can't help but wonder how the players feel.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This could be as simple as he got along great with Josh as the quarterback coach, but when it was time for him to be coordinator, they crashed

Could be a simple as that

I think this goes a lot deeper than a QB Coach who was misplaced. 

I think this is hard headed Coach who is a grind to get along with. 

Working his way down the line from Daboll, to Frazier, to Dorsey and now pecking at the QB.

He’s out answers and is feeling the pressure. And my hope is Terry is awake and the one putting the pressure on him to perform or get out. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Josh has that look of emptiness.  Can't help but think being in Buffalo without Britt is getting to him.  Everything happened with them so late in season that he was constantly traveling right after they broke up.  After months in Buffalo, I bet it doesn't feel like it has the previous 5 years for him.   We have all been there when a place doesn't feel like home anymore and you just start going through the motions.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean to me, and maybe it's the confirmation bias talking so take it fwiw, this sounds exactly like getting the narrative out there that the offense is the root cause of all the issues. Because it can't be the defense. Because McDermott's in charge of the defense.

This has been going on since after the Broncos game. McDermott has been in self-preservation mode. He praised the defensive players for playing their asses off, giving them (and his own play calling) no fault for the loss. He then went on to criticize the offense heavily and fired his OC the next day. When asked about the end of game FG debacle he commented that they had practiced that situation throughout the week but "failed to execute." His post game presser was completely unhinged. He blamed one player after another, never pointing the finger at himself. I can't imagine that landed well in the locker room.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You don't think this is a weird thing to say as a head coach in reference to your QB?

...McDermott on why he think that's dissipated with Allen over the last few weeks: "Yeah, I have my own thoughts, but I won’t go there right now. '

That is a legitimately bizarre thing to say in a press conference.

if he’s asked a question, what answer should he give?

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

If you think those comments are weird you should have heard him talk on WGR right before his press conference.  I really haven't had a problem with McD and some of the things he says but this was kind of a "this is my team and you need to do it my way" kind of comment and it really made me lose faith in him.

He was asked about the Cook benching after the fumble and basically said that he hadn't earned his trust the same as someone that might have been with the team for a longer period of time.

I'm assuming this is a direct "trust" comparison between benching Cook and not benching Davis after he had an INT go off of his hands.  So a guy who fumbled twice in 27 games gets less trust than a 58% catch percentage receiver.  Got it.

@Shaw66 what are your thoughts on this? Does this sound like a head coach that is capable of taking us to where we want to go? Did Dorsey make the benching call or McDermott? Sounds like McDermott to me!

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

in a battle of wills that would eventually decide who stays and who goes, could Allen potentially lose out to McDermott?

A friend of mine is dating a woman and does not get along with her daughter that well. I have told him to never put his girlfriend in a position where he is asking her to choose between him and the daughter because he will lose every time.

The same is true with Josh and McClappy. In a choice between Josh and McClappy, Josh wins 100 times out of 100.

• Agree 1

Honestly, I think this team scared itself with the Jets game to open the season. They bounced back, but found themselves in one of their midseason lulls like we have seen before, and what we are seeing is a team collectively grip too tight. 

19 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

The “I have my own thoughts, but I won’t go there right now” comment seemed off-color and kind of unnecessary.   Otherwise, I agree with you

He has always had a fairly obnoxious passive aggressive style. He makes these veiled comments, so that people he is shifting blame to can’t respond. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That's how I felt before today

but after listening to everything McDermott has put out publicly since Denver....he's been uncharacteristically critical of the offense and Allen in particular

Maybe it’s McD’s way of tell Allen he’s part of the problem. But no way the Bills would choose the coach over the qb. Allen will be here long after McD is gone, which will probably be at the end of the season barring some miracle. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes. it would be stupid. But yes 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 2

Just now, SWATeam said:

By neuter do you mean not take insane unnecessary risks and protect his body when possible?

To state it another way, he is asking Josh to not be as aggressive and run the ball as much as he has in the past.

Whether that is a good idea or bad idea, it is odd that McClappy would say what he said because he more than anyone is responsible.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I've mentioned this in other threads...

It's very odd players never approach/sit by/talk to Allen on the sidelines.  And Allen doesn't approach other players.  Something is not right there,  especially considering Allen has always come off as "down to earth".

The diggs off-season mini drama has to be related.

4 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Not sure why some are reacting with the disagree emoji. This is a very valid observation. 

Dude has had it relatively easy. Make no mistake, he inherited a team already on the rise. He is a decent coach. He is not a SB winning coach. Things finally aren’t coming up all rainbows and sunshine and he’s cracking.

Clap less. Do more.  

I’d go one step further…he’s acting like a coach who is afraid of losing the locker room, if he hasn’t lost it already. Once that happens, a coach can’t be salvaged.  McDermott had some goodwill in the bank coming into this season, but it’s eroding fast….

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

if he’s asked a question, what answer should he give?

not that. like almost anything but that

Allen's not some rookie you can give a little shove publicly to get him in gear. He's one of the biggest names in the NFL. You just can't be so free w those kinds of statements about your QB as HC

• Agree 2

Hard to characterize McD's comments as weird or bizarre other than "I have my own thoughts, but I won’t go there right now."  That statement is unhelpful to JA, the team and the fans.

JA has seemed different this year in terms of his demeanor.  There has been a ton of pressure on him the entire time that he has been here, and maybe it is catching up to him, particularly when you only have Diggs to help on offense to relieve even some small amount of the pressure.

Make no mistake.  The City, the team, the coaches and the fans need JA a lot more than he needs us.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, TurfToeJam said:

I've mentioned this in other threads...

It's very odd players never approach/sit by/talk to Allen on the sidelines.  And Allen doesn't approach other players.  Something is not right there,  especially considering Allen has always come off as "down to earth".

The diggs off-season mini drama has to be related.

This is BS. I have seen him approach players plenty.. and scream at them. Just because you do not see it on TV does not mean we dont see it in the stands.. Players come to him as well.. There is a time to let your QB clear his head and a Time where you converse... Cameras have a game to look over and play... and although we would like to think so? they do not capture a fraction of whats going on, on the sidelines.. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He keeps referencing “energy” - I want to see it Sunday. 

He’s hammering on turnovers - so turnovers here just means Allen, he said it, gets “greedy” and doesn’t “take what the defense gives him” - Joe asked the TOUGH question.

Sal then jumped in ask the white knight softball question. 

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This all sounds pretty bizarre:

Ealier this week McDermott was asked about firing Dorsey and said "OC is a leadership position." Is it possible he felt that Dorsey wasn't getting Allen and the other offensive players into the right mindset and energy? And this more than play calling is what led to the firing?

I brought this up in the Dorsey got fired thread. This is definitely the reason.

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This has been going on since after the Broncos game. McDermott has been in self-preservation mode. He praised the defensive players for playing their asses off, giving them (and his own play calling) no fault for the loss. He then went on to criticize the offense heavily and fired his OC the next day. When asked about the end of game FG debacle he commented that they had practiced that situation throughout the week but "failed to execute." His post game presser was completely unhinged. He blamed one player after another, never pointing the finger at himself. I can't imagine that landed well in the locker room.

Yeah he's done a nice job of dividing the team by separating offense and defense  and now taking shots at arguably the person most responsible for his long term success in Josh Allen

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Wow that is unhinged. Cook hadn't fumbled since his very first snap in his very first game. We lost two drives because of Murray's mistakes - on one drive he dropped a pass with only one man to beat in front of him, and then on another drive he got tracked down and tackled by a freaking nose tackle.

McDermott is floundering IMO.

I think this basically answers a lot of questions as to why we often don't see guys get involved early in their career or why some guys just cannot participate like TJ Yeldon. 

Also weird to talk about "Less time on the roster". I get that people think he is talking about Davis and maybe he is. But if you apply it to the RB position which is what he was asked about, he played a PS player and brand new FA over a guy that has had 27 games and done a pretty great job of protecting the football. It doesn't exactly track for the conversation being had. 

The more I hear McD this season the more he sounds like a politician. If the offense goes on under Brady and plays better and Josh performs better, and they still miss the playoffs. It'll be we cant dig hole a for ourselves to start the season. And, of course the ready made injuries on defense, but that we performed heroically. We being the operative word, he's part of the defense, not the offense because they just haven't complimented the rest of the team by playing his style. News for Sean the Special Teams have arguably cost 2 games. And the defense hasn't been able to protect alead 2x in the fourth Qtr. NEWS FLASH Sean ! It's whole team and you're the boss so act like it, not like a coordinator turned politician.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

This is BS. I have seen him approach players plenty.. and scream at them. Just because you do not see it on TV does not mean we dont see it in the stands.. Players come to him as well.. There is a time to let your QB clear his head and a Time where you converse... Cameras have a game to look over and play... and although we would like to think so? they do not capture a fraction of whats going on, on the sidelines..

True I am unable to go to games and only see what TV gives me.  But I've seen him interact all previous seasons (on TV too.)  But not this season.  

It's obvious there is something going on here.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.