McDermott weird comments about Josh Allen

HappyDays

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

food for thought that I hadn't considered before today

in a battle of wills that would eventually decide who stays and who goes, could Allen potentially lose out to McDermott?

Yes. it would be stupid. But yes 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 2

Just now, SWATeam said:

By neuter do you mean not take insane unnecessary risks and protect his body when possible?

To state it another way, he is asking Josh to not be as aggressive and run the ball as much as he has in the past.

Whether that is a good idea or bad idea, it is odd that McClappy would say what he said because he more than anyone is responsible.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I've mentioned this in other threads...

It's very odd players never approach/sit by/talk to Allen on the sidelines.  And Allen doesn't approach other players.  Something is not right there,  especially considering Allen has always come off as "down to earth".

The diggs off-season mini drama has to be related.

4 minutes ago, stevestojan said:

Not sure why some are reacting with the disagree emoji. This is a very valid observation. 

Dude has had it relatively easy. Make no mistake, he inherited a team already on the rise. He is a decent coach. He is not a SB winning coach. Things finally aren’t coming up all rainbows and sunshine and he’s cracking.

Clap less. Do more.  

I’d go one step further…he’s acting like a coach who is afraid of losing the locker room, if he hasn’t lost it already. Once that happens, a coach can’t be salvaged.  McDermott had some goodwill in the bank coming into this season, but it’s eroding fast….

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, SDS said:

if he’s asked a question, what answer should he give?

not that. like almost anything but that

Allen's not some rookie you can give a little shove publicly to get him in gear. He's one of the biggest names in the NFL. You just can't be so free w those kinds of statements about your QB as HC

• Agree 2

Hard to characterize McD's comments as weird or bizarre other than "I have my own thoughts, but I won’t go there right now."  That statement is unhelpful to JA, the team and the fans.

JA has seemed different this year in terms of his demeanor.  There has been a ton of pressure on him the entire time that he has been here, and maybe it is catching up to him, particularly when you only have Diggs to help on offense to relieve even some small amount of the pressure.

Make no mistake.  The City, the team, the coaches and the fans need JA a lot more than he needs us.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, TurfToeJam said:

I've mentioned this in other threads...

It's very odd players never approach/sit by/talk to Allen on the sidelines.  And Allen doesn't approach other players.  Something is not right there,  especially considering Allen has always come off as "down to earth".

The diggs off-season mini drama has to be related.

This is BS. I have seen him approach players plenty.. and scream at them. Just because you do not see it on TV does not mean we dont see it in the stands.. Players come to him as well.. There is a time to let your QB clear his head and a Time where you converse... Cameras have a game to look over and play... and although we would like to think so? they do not capture a fraction of whats going on, on the sidelines.. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He keeps referencing “energy” - I want to see it Sunday. 

He’s hammering on turnovers - so turnovers here just means Allen, he said it, gets “greedy” and doesn’t “take what the defense gives him” - Joe asked the TOUGH question.

Sal then jumped in ask the white knight softball question. 

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This all sounds pretty bizarre:

Ealier this week McDermott was asked about firing Dorsey and said "OC is a leadership position." Is it possible he felt that Dorsey wasn't getting Allen and the other offensive players into the right mindset and energy? And this more than play calling is what led to the firing?

I brought this up in the Dorsey got fired thread. This is definitely the reason.

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This has been going on since after the Broncos game. McDermott has been in self-preservation mode. He praised the defensive players for playing their asses off, giving them (and his own play calling) no fault for the loss. He then went on to criticize the offense heavily and fired his OC the next day. When asked about the end of game FG debacle he commented that they had practiced that situation throughout the week but "failed to execute." His post game presser was completely unhinged. He blamed one player after another, never pointing the finger at himself. I can't imagine that landed well in the locker room.

Yeah he's done a nice job of dividing the team by separating offense and defense  and now taking shots at arguably the person most responsible for his long term success in Josh Allen

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Wow that is unhinged. Cook hadn't fumbled since his very first snap in his very first game. We lost two drives because of Murray's mistakes - on one drive he dropped a pass with only one man to beat in front of him, and then on another drive he got tracked down and tackled by a freaking nose tackle.

McDermott is floundering IMO.

I think this basically answers a lot of questions as to why we often don't see guys get involved early in their career or why some guys just cannot participate like TJ Yeldon. 

Also weird to talk about "Less time on the roster". I get that people think he is talking about Davis and maybe he is. But if you apply it to the RB position which is what he was asked about, he played a PS player and brand new FA over a guy that has had 27 games and done a pretty great job of protecting the football. It doesn't exactly track for the conversation being had. 

The more I hear McD this season the more he sounds like a politician. If the offense goes on under Brady and plays better and Josh performs better, and they still miss the playoffs. It'll be we cant dig hole a for ourselves to start the season. And, of course the ready made injuries on defense, but that we performed heroically. We being the operative word, he's part of the defense, not the offense because they just haven't complimented the rest of the team by playing his style. News for Sean the Special Teams have arguably cost 2 games. And the defense hasn't been able to protect alead 2x in the fourth Qtr. NEWS FLASH Sean ! It's whole team and you're the boss so act like it, not like a coordinator turned politician.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

This is BS. I have seen him approach players plenty.. and scream at them. Just because you do not see it on TV does not mean we dont see it in the stands.. Players come to him as well.. There is a time to let your QB clear his head and a Time where you converse... Cameras have a game to look over and play... and although we would like to think so? they do not capture a fraction of whats going on, on the sidelines..

True I am unable to go to games and only see what TV gives me.  But I've seen him interact all previous seasons (on TV too.)  But not this season.  

It's obvious there is something going on here.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.