What of Elam now??

JMM

Obviously the Bills tried to trade him. Possibly they never got a good offer, but it's just as likely no other team was really interested. Which again confirms to me my opinion, which is that the issues with him go well beyond physical and his " fit" in our scheme. So now what? Inactive the rest of the year? Try to give him one more chance? Most likely he gets traded again after the season.

1 minute ago, JMM said:

Obviously the Bills tried to trade him. Possibly they never got a good offer, but it's just as likely no other team was really interested. Which again confirms to me my opinion, which is that the issues with him go well beyond physical and his " fit" in our scheme. So now what? Inactive the rest of the year? Try to give him one more chance? Most likely he gets traded again after the season.

Good chance he's traded in the off season.  More moves tend to happen then anyway.  Or maybe it just takes him awhile to get it and will become good.  There's a fairly good size list of players who everyone here wanted to be cut/traded but turned out to be a decent player.  Oliver comes to mind at the top of the list along with AJ.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, JMM said:

And we know this for sure, how????

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 8

To all the folks who suggest he be traded - Traded for what??? He's a first round pick who can't get on the field, even when injuries strike. Who is press-boxed in favor of off-the-couch Josh freaking Norman! Who forced his GM to cough up a 3rd rounder to bring in yet another vet at the deadline!

How do you wash that kind of stink off? I think they're stuck with him. Either the light bulb goes on, or they cut him in the off-season. Maybe they try to stash him on the practice squad, but it seems like they think he can't play pro ball at all. 

Edited by skibum
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

Season tickets in the press box

My ass!  I would assign him as the 'personal assistant to the Legend of the Game', making sure the organization doesn't drop the figurative ball anymore (see 'Spikes, Takeo').

2 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

He'll have a huge pick in the playoffs 

"Nacho chips, or fries with my hot dog?" 🤔

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

15 minutes ago, JMM said:

You got a link or are you just blindly assuming this?  

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Keep working.  His work effort on the field or off is not impressing the team.  Time for him to look in the mirror and decide if he wants to be an NFL player.

Douglas is a guy who was considered a "bust" and bounced around several practice squads before putting it together. 

Maybe that kind of guy in the position room helps Elam turn it around. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You got a link or are you just blindly assuming this?  

Is it an assumption? Yes. Is it based on lots of good information and logical inferences? Yes. Now, you want to comment on the actual question of the post, or just be a foolish troll?

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, JMM said:

Is it an assumption? Yes. Is it based on lots of good information and logical inferences? Yes. Now, you want to comment on the actual question of the post, or just be a foolish troll?

It's not a foolish troll.

You don't have good information to suggest that. You assumed. What type of good info and logical reference would lead you to believe a Beane / McDermott team would shop a second year first round pick that THEY drafted? They believe in draft and develop. His post was far from a troll.. Seems like yours is more of a troll, tbh. 

• Like (+1) 2

He's done. He was done before the season started and only was allowed to get on the field due to significant injury. It's clear that McD has a major problem with him because his play is not nearly bad enough to warrant his current position on the team. He'll likely be cut or traded for a 6th/7th in the offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JMM said:

I know he doesn’t need my help, but @Alphadawg7 is the not even close to being a troll. Quite the opposite. Much less foolish. 
Anyway, let’s let the season play out with Elam. We need depth. They’re backups for a reason, but still vital to a  team. 

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’m just hoping he’s got some Zay Jones (did he really have 82 catches last year?) in him and he can work it out, becoming a productive player in this league. Some guys need time to grow into themselves. I hope he’s one, because he’s with us now. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

He's done. He was done before the season started and only was allowed to get on the field due to significant injury. It's clear that McD has a major problem with him because his play is not nearly bad enough to warrant his current position on the team. He'll likely be cut or traded for a 6th/7th in the offseason.

His play isn't that bad. You are right.

Of course his first game coming off being scratched for 5 weeks is going to be iffy. The next game, he was significantly improved. He's going to be one the guys that leaves Buffalo goes on to have a nice career and he's going to come out and talk about his time here and what went wrong and I can't wait for that. There has to be a serious vendetta against this guy... some sort of disconnect. 

• Like (+1) 1

For a good number of Bills draft picks, they aren’t allowed to get better by playing, or be decent on early on a rookie contract.

They’re required to sit behind some free agents until they’re a free agent. Once you go from rookie deal to extension, then and only then, can you grasp the Buffalo Bills.

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

47 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

My ass!  I would assign him as the 'personal assistant to the Legend of the Game', making sure the organization doesn't drop the figurative ball anymore (see 'Spikes, Takeo').

"Nacho chips, or fries with my hot dog?" 🤔

Gotta go with fries and Chili.

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, JMM said:

First of all, you just asserted multiple things in your post, so how is asking for clarification on whether or not those are just your assumptions or if there are actual facts being a "foolish troll"?  Especially since you just confirmed they are just blind assumptions and not actual facts lol

Second, as far as Elam goes, his season will go as he goes in practice.  He obviously isn't someone they feel is ready or he would be active, so he is going to need to earn their trust in practice and prove he is worthy of being active on game day.  And we have already seen that they are not afraid to keep him inactive, so I don't expect him to be active unless they feel he is ready or injuries force their hand again.  

Personal opinion is that I don't think Beane is ready to just give up on Elam yet, but they are also not going to just put him out there because of his draft status either.  I think he is someone who will likely be traded in the offseason if by the end of this season he hasn't worked his way onto the active roster still.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.