Worst WGR call ever

WIDE LEFT

2 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

So this genius calls into Sal’s show this morning with this wonderful take. “Before the trade deadline Bills should trade for a QB”. His reason - Josh Allen needs competition so he doesn’t get too comfortable & and doesn’t get too careless ie turnovers. Initially Sal thought this was a joke, but no, our caller was serious. When he picked himself off the floor, Sal pointed out that JA was having an MVP like season. But there is so much more wrong with this take. Let’s start with the fact that what team with a QB good enough to give Allen competition would trade that guy. Who is this great QB that could threaten Allen, but doesn’t start for his own team. Unsurprisingly our genius caller did not name a candidate. You have to wonder how long this guy waited on hold to share this wonderful idea.

there are more things wrong w the fan base narratives than our OL. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

There have been a few bad ones already this morning.  Sal was on a heater a few minutes ago about a tweet he got related to wanting any defensive player over DHop (paraphrasing).

I quit listening after hearing this tweet and response.  In fact,  I enjoy these shows much better when there are no callers.  

• Agree 1

You have your dumb callers who just ramble incoherently, and then you have somewhat intelligent callers who intentionally spout off with ridiculous takes just to fire up the hosts, or get their jollies with their buddies afterwards about what a hysterical call they made today. 

Callers on sports talk radio SUCK, and should be eliminated.  

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

So this genius calls into Sal’s show this morning with this wonderful take. “Before the trade deadline Bills should trade for a QB”. His reason - Josh Allen needs competition so he doesn’t get too comfortable & and doesn’t get too careless ie turnovers. Initially Sal thought this was a joke, but no, our caller was serious. When he picked himself off the floor, Sal pointed out that JA was having an MVP like season. But there is so much more wrong with this take. Let’s start with the fact that what team with a QB good enough to give Allen competition would trade that guy. Who is this great QB that could threaten Allen, but doesn’t start for his own team. Unsurprisingly our genius caller did not name a candidate. You have to wonder how long this guy waited on hold to share this wonderful idea.

We should go after Mahomes … he can back up Josh.

• Like (+1) 1

Must have been the same caller that wanted the Bills to trade Diggs, so Allen wouldn’t focus on Diggs so much and could spread the ball around more to the other WR’s on the team.

4 hours ago, QB Bills said:

That was me and I stand by my call. Josh knows he's got zero competition back there. It was different when he knew trubisky or keenum could take over at any time and do as well or better than he did. So he had to keep his head more in the game. Now he's free to galivant at celeb parties and golf on off days instead of watch film or sit in the cold tub. I wrote a letter to the Bills detailing this also. I'll report back once they reply.

So we now know Dorsey’s burner account on TBD too 🤔🧐

My guess he's the writer from Boston who claimed that Jake Fromm would be the Bills starter over Josh by midseason.  I imagine after that take he's fallen on hard times & the only place that will even take his opinions on the NFL are call in talk shows. 

By and large the call-ins are horrendous.  It's even worse if you listen to the more than one or two segments per day because the same phone-in hot take will be repeated multiple times.  

Obviously the real knowledge doesn't wait in a phone queue.  It rambles stream of consciousness on TBD.

5 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

‘Worst ever’??? That’s gotta be a bar so low you can’t flow water under it. 

the afternoon show doesn’t need any callers to continually be the worst ever..

that being said, Kyler Murray is available.

Edited by ControllerOfPlanetX
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Seems sorta par for the course for talk radio callers.

yeah, best to worst interviews/Call-ins

press --> gms --> coaches --> players --------------------> fans.  NFL fans by and large haven't a freakin clue what they are talking about.   On OBL, I turn down the sound down on the caller and turn it back up when Tasker/Brown start talking, its that bad

6 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

This sounds about par for WGR callers.

The terrible calls are hilarious, half the entertainment of sports talk radio is laughing at terrible and dumb takes. I always think “what an idiot”, laugh as it adds to the entertainment.

Edited by uticaclub
  • Like (+1) 1

Callers are insufferable.

Sal is a tough listen when he’s just alone talking to himself pleading for someone to call in. I really like his segments on the morning and afternoon shows though where he has discussions with the hosts. 

I like Jeremy White; he actually puts some thought and preparation into his show and has coherent ideas and opinions. Joe and the other younger guys just ramble like they are trying to talk themselves out of a bar fight. 

Mike Schoop is bearable in small doses because he has a strong personality - be it good or bad.  Bulldog just stammers and sputters and hangs on Schoop like a lap dog. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

The terrible calls are hilarious, half the entertainment of sports talk radio is laughing at terrible and dumb takes. I always think “what an idiot”, laugh as it adds to the entertainment.

I am strictly a Sirius listener in the car, and never listed to local sports radio.  I assume in Atlanta it’s mostly UGA football, then other college football. Then the Braves, and eventually some Falcons. 

However, when I get back to WNY for a game I do listen in the rental car. I doubt WNY is unique, and it makes me concerned for humanity. 

Even if we somehow got Patrick Mahomes sitting behind him, he's not going to suddenly play better because of it.

If there's one thing I believe about Josh Allen, it's that sometimes he gets stuck in his own head. Having a potential starter as his backup & competing for a starting spot would likely only make things worse.

Maybe in practice it'd help, but do you really want him mid-game having it in the back of his head "if I make too many mistakes, they'll bench me for the other guy!?" Hell no. So yeah, we all think the callers idea was stupid, but even if we played that out with some fantasy trade, it wouldn't get the desired results anyway.

7 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

There are at least a dozen regular posters here who I would not be surprised to learn made that call.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

Seems sorta par for the course for talk radio callers.

Yep. If I was guessing it was some really old outta touch old guy that thought he makes too much $$, and Hollywood gf made him not care.

Thank God we don't have these dinosaur relics around TBD, I'd imagine message boards are full of these types 😆😆😆

7 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

I heard this too.   😂    
Another dude after that said trade Knox, broken wrist and all.  🤣

Another guy a couple weeks ago said trade Diggs.    🤔 

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I am strictly a Sirius listener in the car, and never listed to local sports radio.  I assume in Atlanta it’s mostly UGA football, then other college football. Then the Braves, and eventually some Falcons. 

However, when I get back to WNY for a game I do listen in the rental car. I doubt WNY is unique, and it makes me concerned for humanity. 

Ive lost all faith in humanity years ago. All local radio is the same, same knuckelheads, different teams. ive lived out west for a while and every caller is just as clueless. I always have the Audacity app on GR because I hate my life

Edited by uticaclub

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The quality of callers post game has been dropping steadily. I have to shut it off.

I dunno, I listened to a lot of “The Coach” Chuck Dickerson in the 90s and early 2000s, and most of those callers were off their rocker then too.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Callers are insufferable.

Sal is a tough listen when he’s just alone talking to himself pleading for someone to call in. I really like his segments on the morning and afternoon shows though where he has discussions with the hosts. 

I like Jeremy White; he actually puts some thought and preparation into his show and has coherent ideas and opinions. Joe and the other younger guys just ramble like they are trying to talk themselves out of a bar fight. 

Mike Schoop is bearable in small doses because he has a strong personality - be it good or bad.  Bulldog just stammers and sputters and hangs on Schoop like a lap dog. 

Agree almost 100%. I know Schoop is a bad fit for the Gen-X-and-above crowd in WNY, as he is obsessed with fantasy, gambling, analytics, and everything new and "interesting." Seems like the ideal pundit to capture millennials and gen-z listeners...except that younger audience just does NOT listen to local sports radio talk lol. But I think he's smart and sometimes funny. He's best when trying to make Bulldog laugh/react by being hyperbolically nontraditional with his takes. (He's worst when pedantically harping on some take that's anti-momentum, anti-emotion, or otherwise opposed to anything that can't be measured in numbers. Also, was a big Tyrod supporter towards the end, which is so inconsistent with so many of his stated offensive football perspectives since.)

Jeremy White, though: I think he's really clever for a sports talk host. Great radio voice, reasonable takes, and enough quick wit and sarcasm to be refreshing in that loud and monotonous sports infotainment ecosystem. 

Sal is useful as a guest, and super open-minded and reasonable when fielding calls, but he's vanilla as it gets. Falls into repetitive ruts and has never made me laugh once. Just so painfully sincere. 

3 hours ago, uticaclub said:

Ive lost all faith in humanity years ago. All local radio is the same, same knuckelheads, different teams. ive lived out west for a while and every caller is just as clueless. I always have the Audacity app on GR because I hate my life

Same for most "reply guys" on any platform/medium. The process one undergoes in search of objective truths is anathema to the impulse to quickly reply online or call-in on the radio. People confident enough to share are most often the least qualified to do so. 

14 hours ago, WIDE LEFT said:

Ever since we drafted the wrong josh even though he's really a huge of Allen.

Honestly i hate when people call in , they should eliminate this from sports radio and leave the clowns to X

14 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Did WGR fire their Call Screener?

Needed a hot take

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, BigDingus said:

Even if we somehow got Patrick Mahomes sitting behind him, he's not going to suddenly play better because of it.

If there's one thing I believe about Josh Allen, it's that sometimes he gets stuck in his own head. Having a potential starter as his backup & competing for a starting spot would likely only make things worse.

Maybe in practice it'd help, but do you really want him mid-game having it in the back of his head "if I make too many mistakes, they'll bench me for the other guy!?" Hell no. So yeah, we all think the callers idea was stupid, but even if we played that out with some fantasy trade, it wouldn't get the desired results anyway.

Agreed.

As someone said during the Flutie/Johnson controversy, "It's hard to find a receiver downfield when you're always looking over your shoulder."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.