Article on Josh Allen's state of mind

Drew21PA

Idiotic take (not you, the article). Clearly Josh is working on the mental side of his game and always has been. But the idea that reflection, experimentation, trying to grow and evolve (which of course will come with ups and downs) is somehow weak or confused or unhelpful is absurd. Sure overthinking things can be a problem in any area of life, but if that's happening, continued reflection will help him see that too. The article could have been interesting; the topic is interesting. But it's such a knee-jerk and/or clickbait angle. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

If the health and wellness of this team depends upon Allen's mental state in entering every game, we and he are in trouble.  

These guys have a job to do and practice that job routinely.  They get paid tens of millions in Allen's case.  

Get up and go and do your job.  It's called execution.  This shouldn't be anything more than that given his talent.  

This siht show leans more increasingly to coaching, or the lack of proper coaching, by the day now.

SMH

Honestly, WTF is next, some special ritual by the team before games.  Mental safe spaces?  

This is starting to play out like some bad B-rate comedy-drama.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 2

Josh Allen is trying to stay 'low positive.' Here's what that means for the Buffalo Bills quarterback

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nfl/bills/josh-allen-is-trying-to-stay-low-positive-heres-what-that-means-for-the-buffalo/article_c1a4bb80-72a0-11ee-af89-b3bab684408d.html

This one's not behind a pay wall

Quarterback Josh Allen says his new 'low positive' approach might be behind Bills sluggish starts

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/quarterback-josh-allen-says-his-new-low-positive-approach-might-be-behind-bills-sluggish-starts/ar-AA1iMGpx

• Thank you (+1) 2

I actually really like low positive....the idea is perfect for what Josh needs to be at his greatest.

The thing that will actually help him take it to that final step is being able to shut it on and off at will. 

I think good play calls would really help him get there. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I kind of like this and kind of don't.  I think there's general agreement that week 1 was a classic example of Sugar High Josh and it cost us the game.  So getting that under control is absolutely necessary.

The problem is he dialed it all back so when the whole team is in Sugar Low mode, the only one trying to fire up the guys is Diggs.

It's finding the right balance.  Maybe turn it up most of the time, but have a trusted voice on the sideline that can tell him "you're getting into Sugar High, you need to dial it back for yourself, but not the rest of the team"

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This sounds like something a Hollywood actress would say. I wonder where Josh could’ve gotten this from?

Sounds like something Aaron Rodgers would say to be honest. Next thing we know Josh is going to want to head off to a dark retreat to feel more at "zen".

Seriously, if anyone hears Josh if headed to golf with Rodgers next off season...someone steal his clubs, please.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

Been saying this for the past few weeks that he looks out of it on the sideline. Imo this is a huge part of the problem. The offense and team play off their biggest star. If he’s looking like a dud, So will they. Hopefully he really recognizes it and fixes it and it fixes the problem

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

29 minutes ago, BCAS Baritone said:

Josh Allen is trying to stay 'low positive.' Here's what that means for the Buffalo Bills quarterback

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nfl/bills/josh-allen-is-trying-to-stay-low-positive-heres-what-that-means-for-the-buffalo/article_c1a4bb80-72a0-11ee-af89-b3bab684408d.html

This one's not behind a pay wall

Quarterback Josh Allen says his new 'low positive' approach might be behind Bills sluggish starts

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/quarterback-josh-allen-says-his-new-low-positive-approach-might-be-behind-bills-sluggish-starts/ar-AA1iMGpx

Then maybe Josh Allen needs to stop trying to be "low positive" and start trying to be whatever he was in 2020, 2021 etc.

• Simon changed the title to Article on Josh Allen's state of mind

I just read this interview with Josh:

”Josh Allen just needs to be Josh Allen and he will be fine. Because when Josh Allen is is Josh Allen no one is a better Josh Allen. Others may try to be Josh Allen but they are not the same. Well that Josh Allen in Jacksonville, he is a Josh Allen but a different Josh Allen. Now I’m getting confused what was the question? I have been thinking too much. I just need to slow down and be a slower Josh Allen but not a slower moving Josh Allen. No not that either. Wait, I got to go you guys are confusing me.”

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He seems to be saying he’s trying not to get over amped at the start of games and feels like he plays better when he’s just going slow and steady.
There really is nothing wrong with that but the slow starts make it seem like he’s not mentally in the game till the second quarter.

I would rather Psycho Josh show up in Cincy or KC or Philly as those games he’s going to have to be the best player on the field. 
If he has to be the best player on the field to beat a mediocre Tampa team this team has structural problems that won’t get fixed till the off season 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat

11 minutes ago, ngbills said:

I just read this interview with Josh:

”Josh Allen just needs to be Josh Allen and he will be fine. Because when Josh Allen is is Josh Allen no one is a better Josh Allen. Others may try to be Josh Allen but they are not the same. Well that Josh Allen in Jacksonville, he is a Josh Allen but a different Josh Allen. Now I’m getting confused what was the question? I have been thinking too much. I just need to slow down and be a slower Josh Allen but not a slower moving Josh Allen. No not that either. Wait, I got to go you guys are confusing me.”

Jimmy is sweet on Elaine.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Interesting. And confirms some suspicions/issues I've been having.

For the first few years of his career, Josh was a dedicated, laser-focused work horse during each offseason. It seemed every year he would come back having worked on one specific area (footwork, upper body mechanics, etc) that really helped him dial in and show up with at least a 33% improvement in his game (which is huge).

By the end of 2021, he had his mechanics figured out and imo really only had one last hole in his game to address: his mindset.

After the 13s KC game, I thought he had enough inspiration to figure it out. He needs to be the fierce, almost angry competitor that we saw that the end of that KC game. It reminded me very much of how Brady plays every game. I was hoping he'd come into 2022 with a focused, killer mindset. And in the Rams opener, it kinda looked like he might have figured it out.

Unfortunately, by the Packers game it was apparent that mindset wouldnt stick, or was never really there to begin with.

And now, this new "low positive" sounds like the opposite of where I want him to be.

I love that Josh is a lovable goofball at heart, but I need a cold-blooded killer and fierce competitor.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

SMH

Honestly, WTF is next, some specifics ritual by the team before games.  Mental safe spaces?  

This is starting to play out like some bad B-rate comedy-drama.  

I blame the Bills offensive woes on the fact that Josh dropped his pre game puking ritual 🤮

Yes i believe the coaches got into his head about running and being smart and it's slowed down his decision making.

I personally don't care about the slow starts.  He brought us back to win against the Giants.  He put us ahead for the dolphins and the Defense crumbled.

McD needs to find a DC this offseason.  I am a bit annoyed when during pressers he says he hasn't put much thought into the offense because of his DC duties.

The entire middle of our defense has been gutted do to injuries.   YOu want to look to see what the problem is with the Bills start there.

The more this gets discuss, the more idiots see it and the more it gets posted about on social media, the more Josh sees it and hears about it, the more he becomes affected by it.  (sorry for the run-on).

I vote stop discussing it.  It could cause a slippery slope effect.  

Josh is fine.  

Edited by Blackbeard

9 minutes ago, Lost said:

I blame the Bills offensive woes on the fact that Josh dropped his pre game puking ritual 🤮

Did he?  

I was wondering about that.  LOL  

That's actually fine.  Whatever you have to do while entering the field.  Listen to certain music, yack, hop around on one foot, eat 3/4 of a donut, etc., whatever.  That's all fine and good.  

But we seem to be leaning into new age mantra crap or the like.  What's next, crystals over the exit to the lockerroom.  It's a physical game that relies heavily on the player's conditioning and skills.  It's also an intellectual game.  Nothing more.  The coach's job is to put it all together to yield the best possible results.   That's what practices are for.  

These guys certainly get enough money to do exactly that.  If the answer is simply letting Allen run wild, then serious questions need to be asked as to what McD's role actually is on that side of the ball.  

We'll see what happens on Sunday, but if it's anything but a decisive win, it risks getting fugly.  

Edited by PBF81

I think it comes down to preparation more than anything. We all speculate about how much film he watches, but you can’t tell me the All-22 shows a guy who’s in that film room constantly taking notes on different coverages. If Josh improves on anything, anything, I’d like to see it be pre-snap recognition. Knowing where to go with the ball, or at least where you think you should go with the ball based upon film study, would be immensely helpful for the offense. His concern about overdoing it in the film room was that the defense wouldn’t play the coverage they were showing on film. Well if your pre-snap read is wrong, okay let your instincts take over, react to what’s happening, but you can’t count on instincts down after down. Put in the study work and LOTS of it. You have receivers running open out there.

EDIT: I also think this is the burden genetic freaks have on the football field. Lesser talents like Tua, Cousins, Purdy, etc. can’t win on arm arrogance. They have to find another way to succeed and that’s through film study, knowing where to go with the ball based on a look. We were able to take Tua’s first read away, where he thought he should go, and he lacked the physical ability to compensate for that. Allen doesn’t lack that ability and as a consequence, may not put in as much prep work as lesser physically gifted guys. 

Edited by JayBaller10
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.