Article on Josh Allen's state of mind

Drew21PA

I don't know why someone didn't post this on here, but here is what he actually said. Anybody who knows anything about mindfulness training knows what he's talking about. It's not letting your mind race and being in the moment and in control. 

And here is a gut punch for all of you getting ready to type "Tom Brady" didn't need that hippy crap: 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, WideNine said:

Journalism is just about dead for news in general and certainly trending that way in sports reporting. Not sure who to blame as many folks have the attention span of a gnat and want "drive-by" reporting or what passes for reporting. Sober, well thought out and researched reporting is not as market driven. 

Ad-click revenue has driven the demand for less news and more sensational and/or divisive headlines that can get people to click on them.

And yes, I agree that Allen reflecting about his mental space and approach is not earth-shattering or worthy of that much conjecture.

Then there's that.  

The problem is that when things go wrong with no explanations, unfortunately that's exactly what happens.  The speculation on the parts of reporters start.  

In fact, one reporter even said that in the thing about Diggs' interview.  He said when players say something that has implications, but don't provide the adequate background, that causes the true journalists out there to go and try to gather information and statements from other players.  

At the end of the day we're a team that has once again started strong, a McD hallmark, but then levels off to more of a steady state.  

The current three-game streak that we're on we've not seen since 2019. Phillips played much better that season raising questions as to why they can't get more out of him now.  He had 9.5 sacks that season.  Milano was a shell of himself back then.  Other than our secondary we really didn't have that many great defenders and Oliver was in his rookie season.  What we did have was more conventional players.  more conventional LBs for example, not a bunch of lightweight speedy gonzalez types that can't tackle.  Maybe our 30th ranking in missed tackles is much more the issue.  

That all points to coaching.  Sorry to say.  

If our offense had been able to score 1 TD in the first half, we'd have won.  Not impressively, but we'd have won.  

We've had the second easiest schedule to date.  If we cannot do better than the 2019 10-6 team did, with the 23rd ranked offense, and today with a better OL, better RBs, better WRs, and a better receiving TE, presumably, than we've ever had, then it's not going to be good and there should be no expectation on the part of anyone that the coaching staff be the first place to point fingers.  

I think honest Bills fans know that most of Allen's issues are mental.

For his first 2 seasons, I was convinced he read every word about him online, watched the media conversations, and got stuck n his own head. Every week leading to a big game seemed to conclude with a colossal disappointment of a performance. 

Then the 2020 season happened, and I felt redeemed. No fans in the stands, so much less pressure, and suddenly he plays fantastic? 

He also admitted to being so hyped before games that he throws up before each one. I heard Kelly did something similar, but that lends to the psychological aspect even more.

Final point, those games where one thing goes wrong, then suddenly the wheels come off all together (see week 1). It probably didn't help things this off-season when the media & fans are all saying your #1 WR is upset with YOUR performance. That has to be in the back of your mind each game & impact your choices. 

So I empathize with Josh. The expectations are sky high, and you're going to get all the credit & blame for the team's performance. When things aren't going well early, it's impossible to not start thinking about all the ways in which you need to fix it. 

I hope he can find the right balance & get in a comfortable head space soon. He has all the tools & the work ethic, he just needs to get out of his own head sometimes.

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

This has been my concern about Ken Dorsey as offensive coordinator.

I'm actually NOT too worried about his gameplanning or playcalls. I don't always love his personnel usage and I don't always feel he maximizes the talent on his roster, but even THAT isn't my biggest concern.

No, my biggest concern has always been -- and remains -- that he doesn't actually know how to coach Josh Allen. He doesn't know what buttons to push, and when. He doesn't know the things to be in his ear about, to emphasize and de-emphasize. He doesn't know how to hype him up when he's too low or calm him down when he's too high.

Brian Daboll had a great relationship with Josh. He seemed to know how to do all of these things. I don't actually think Daboll was worlds better as a PLAYCALLER than Dorsey is. I just think he was way better at coaching Josh Allen. 

The way that Josh's decision-making and his seeing of open targets in the middle of the field seem to have regressed, his funky rollercoaster of mindsets from game to game...all of this seems like coachable stuff, and I fear no one is doing it, or at least doing it effectively. Not Dorsey, not Brady, no one.

Nothing I've seen this season has changed my mind on this, and in fact, this season has only reinforced this notion.

This may have some merit, as just liking and hand-picking your OC does not mean that Dorsey is the right guy to hold him accountable and as you said "push the right buttons".

It takes more than just the X's and O's or even friendship to get the most out of a QB.

We have no idea what goes on behind those walls and that is likely a good thing.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

I hope he can find the right balance & get in a comfortable head space soon. He has all the tools & the work ethic, he just needs to get out of his own head sometimes.

Are you sure about the bolded? There is much speculation saying he's "gone Hollywood." I honestly don't know the real truth, do you?

58 minutes ago, Logic said:

This has been my concern about Ken Dorsey as offensive coordinator.

I'm actually NOT too worried about his gameplanning or playcalls. I don't always love his personnel usage and I don't always feel he maximizes the talent on his roster, but even THAT isn't my biggest concern.

No, my biggest concern has always been -- and remains -- that he doesn't actually know how to coach Josh Allen. He doesn't know what buttons to push, and when. He doesn't know the things to be in his ear about, to emphasize and de-emphasize. He doesn't know how to hype him up when he's too low or calm him down when he's too high.

Brian Daboll had a great relationship with Josh. He seemed to know how to do all of these things. I don't actually think Daboll was worlds better as a PLAYCALLER than Dorsey is. I just think he was way better at coaching Josh Allen. 

The way that Josh's decision-making and his seeing of open targets in the middle of the field seem to have regressed, his funky rollercoaster of mindsets from game to game...all of this seems like coachable stuff, and I fear no one is doing it, or at least doing it effectively. Not Dorsey, not Brady, no one.

Nothing I've seen this season has changed my mind on this, and in fact, this season has only reinforced this notion.

Interesting and great post.  

I've actually thought similar.  I've been wondering whether Dorsey's been trying to work Allen as if he's a pocket passer, like he was, and therefore is unable to provide the necessary creativity in that way.  

Here's the thing, this shouldn't be something that surprises an OC after having had plenty of opportunities to watch Allen, even if only on TV for games like everyone else.  In short, it shouldn't take anything approaching genius or brilliance to be able to see that.  Taking him and matching an offensive system would tend to take some level of competence in that area however.  Whether or not we've seen that appears to be a raging debate.  LOL 

At the same time, implications are that McD has nothing to say about it to contribute to corrections, which on a team that revolves around it, is problematic.  As many surmise, if the strength of your team is defense, McD might be the right guy.  But if it's offense, what are the reasons, besides the soft measure of culture, whatever that even boils down to, which isn't doing anything for us now, then it's a reach to suggest that McD's the right one. 

Putting it into an alternate context.  Suppose we were without a head coach right now and we had the ability to hire anyone that would be available after the season, and knowing what we know about McD to date.  Would McD even make the short-list?  Why would he be the primary choice or even close to be the one to get the most out of this team's offense?  

It all reads like a loyalty thing on Pegula's part.  Well, he's the one that brought us back (not Allen more so apparently), so he deserves the benefit of the doubt for continued opportunity and to run Allen's tenure into the ground.  Why this makes sense to anyone is puzzling.  

Then again, it is primarily a business, and TV revenues, "Bills Mafia" recognition, ticket sales, TV appeal, international appeal, player endorsements, etc., are at an all-time team high.  So from that end apparently that's all that matters.  Lombardis are for sentimental fans.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Journalism is just about dead for news in general and certainly trending that way in sports reporting. Not sure who to blame as many folks have the attention span of a gnat and want "drive-by" reporting or what passes for reporting. Sober, well thought out and researched reporting is not as market driven. 

Ad-click revenue has driven the demand for less news and more sensational and/or divisive headlines that can get people to click on them.

And yes, I agree that Allen reflecting about his mental space and approach is not earth-shattering or worthy of that much conjecture.

I honestly would be more concerned if he wasn't processing those things.

25 minutes ago, Lane Meyer K12 said:

The "journalist" takes what JA says and spins it with a condescending tone. Not worth the time spent to reading it. Essentially, JA is trying to find an in-between mindset where he is not too high/low. There is nothing wrong with that. 

Let's be clear that there really is no such thing as "sports journalism".

Any and all reporting on sports serves merely 2 purposes:

1. Marketing the sport/league being reported on
  2. Generating views (and therefore revenue) for the reporting entity which is riding the popularity of sports

There is no higher-purpose or altruistic existence.

This is not connected to journalists attempting to report on wars, politics, and corruption in governments or corporations that will ultimately benefit/protect the general public.

In summary, expect the worst. lol :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, mrags said:

Been saying this for the past few weeks that he looks out of it on the sideline. Imo this is a huge part of the problem. The offense and team play off their biggest star. If he’s looking like a dud, So will they. Hopefully he really recognizes it and fixes it and it fixes the problem

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Then maybe Josh Allen needs to stop trying to be "low positive" and start trying to be whatever he was in 2020, 2021 etc.

Maybe if the coaches didn't neuter him!  FREE JOSH! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

we get it, you hate Allen for some reason. you don’t have to keep posting the exact same thing over and over.

I don’t hate him at all.  Wouldn’t trade him for anyone except maybe Mahomes.  Also I don’t worship him and think he is flawless.

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

You're right.  Dorsey's got this offense humming along on all cylinders.  

Not sure what I was thinking.  

Reading comprehension much?

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

You do realise the majority of takes on here are Josh is an issue, but isn't the sole problem? Just as Dorsey isn't the sole problem, McDermott isn't a sole problem, receivers dropping the ball isn't the sole problem, other players showing ill-discipline by gifting opponents penalties isn't the sole problem. But put them all together and we are where we are.

If Josh had played better the Bills would have beaten the Pats. If the defense hadn't let the abysmal Pats defense put up 29, the Bills would have beaten the Pats. If Murray hadn't driven into Pats defender on the Knox TD, the Bills would have won. The issue is everything is a mess at the moment - it goes beyond one player or one area.

All of the above is correct with the exception of the spelling of the word “realize”.  

Why then, is one player exempt for so many posters?

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Also I don’t worship him and think he is flawless.

I don't recall anyone claiming that he's flawless.  

But he is unique.  And a unique QB is going to take a coach, both OC and HC, that understands how to work that uniqueness into their gameplan.  

It would seem that if a poll were taken as to which one, Allen or McD, meant more to the ultimate successful functioning of this team, it would be pretty lopsided in favor of Allen.  Imagine McD with the litany of QBs we've had since Kelly.  He would be a DC somewhere else right now.  

As asked above, suppose we were without a head coach right now and we had the ability to hire anyone that would be available after the season, and knowing what we know about McD to date. 

Would McD even make the short-list? 

Why would he be the primary choice or even close to be the one to get the most out of this team's offense?  

So since this is your post I'm responding to, what would be your answer to those two questions?  What ya got?  

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I don’t hate him at all.  Wouldn’t trade him for anyone except maybe Mahomes.  Also I don’t worship him and think he is flawless.

Reading comprehension much?

All of the above is correct with the exception of the spelling of the word “realize”.  

Why then, is one player exempt for so many posters?

British way of spelling it. :blush:

I think the issue is it feels like Josh gets far more criticism than anyone else, and that includes the likes of McDermott, Dorset, Davis and Knox. Even when the former two have been criticised, it's mostly the prism of "what's up with Josh?"

What's up with the Bills O Line? D Line? Why are the players so ill disciplined? Why have all sides of the ball come out slow over the past three weeks? I'd argue it's not being an exempt, but that issues go beyond him as well as with him.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

British way of spelling it. :blush:

I think the issue is it feels like Josh gets far more criticism than anyone else, and that includes the likes of McDermott, Dorset, Davis and Knox. Even when the former two have been criticised, it's mostly the prism of "what's up with Josh?"

What's up with the Bills O Line? D Line? Why are the players so ill disciplined? Why have all sides of the ball come out slow over the past three weeks? I'd argue it's not being an exempt, but that issues go beyond him as well as with him.

Again with the s.

We’ll disagree I guess. I see so many excuse for Allen and deflection of blame to everyone else on these threads that I can’t count them.

25 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I don't recall anyone claiming that he's flawless.  

But he is unique.  And a unique QB is going to take a coach, both OC and HC, that understands how to work that uniqueness into their gameplan.  

It would seem that if a poll were taken as to which one, Allen or McD, meant more to the ultimate successful functioning of this team, it would be pretty lopsided in favor of Allen.  Imagine McD with the litany of QBs we've had since Kelly.  He would be a DC somewhere else right now.  

As asked above, suppose we were without a head coach right now and we had the ability to hire anyone that would be available after the season, and knowing what we know about McD to date. 

Would McD even make the short-list? 

Why would he be the primary choice or even close to be the one to get the most out of this team's offense?  

So since this is your post I'm responding to, what would be your answer to those two questions?  What ya got?  

Ooh a false choice fallacy.  Clever.  I probably should have stopped reading at “He’s not flawless…..BUT…..”.

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

Again with the s.

We’ll disagree I guess. I see so many excuse for Allen and deflection of blame to everyone else on these threads that I can’t count them.

We invented it; it's American English which is the bastardis/zed version. 😉

Some posters are trying to pass it on all blame, yes. Most are seeing something is up and trying to work out the solution. Laziness? Lack of prep? Lack of confidence? Not trusting his eyes? Coaching? I doubt we'll never know the answer for sure.

Just now, UKBillFan said:

We invented it; it's American English which is the bastardis/zed version. 😉

Some posters are trying to pass it on all blame, yes. Most are seeing something is up and trying to work out the solution. Laziness? Lack of prep? Lack of confidence? Not trusting his eyes? Coaching? I doubt we'll never know the answer for sure.

If by “bastardized” you mean “corrected” then sure.

• Haha (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Putting it into an alternate context.  Suppose we were without a head coach right now and we had the ability to hire anyone that would be available after the season, and knowing what we know about McD to date.  Would McD even make the short-list?  Why would he be the primary choice or even close to be the one to get the most out of this team's offense?  

It all reads like a loyalty thing on Pegula's part.  Well, he's the one that brought us back (not Allen more so apparently), so he deserves the benefit of the doubt for continued opportunity and to run Allen's tenure into the ground.  Why this makes sense to anyone is puzzling.  

Then again, it is primarily a business, and TV revenues, "Bills Mafia" recognition, ticket sales, TV appeal, international appeal, player endorsements, etc., are at an all-time team high.  So from that end apparently that's all that matters.  Lombardis are for sentimental fans.  

Thanks for this post.

I believe that if Sean McDermott were to be available this offseason, he'd be hired VERY quickly by another team. He is the Bills' all-time leader in winning percentage as a head coach, ahead of Hall of Famer Marv Levy. He has led the Bills -- who hadn't made the playoffs for seventeen consecutive seasons -- to the playoffs in five of his six seasons as head coach. He routinely posts double digit wins. He coached the Bills to a 13-3 record last season despite absolutely unreal levels of challenges (which I won't go into here, as everyone knows by now). Even now, as we all sit here and feel like the sky is falling, the Bills are 4-3 and a game back from the division lead.

I understand that he has overseen several playoff failures. But I think Bills fans often forget that it's hard to even GET to the playoffs as regularly as the Bills do, and it's no guarantee that that success can be replicated so easily by another head coach. Think of the Chargers. Very good quarterback, good offensive skill players, some elite defensive players, and yet, they routinely fail to be playoff contenders. People tend to assume that with a roster like the Bills have, the head coach position is "plug and play", and [insert flavor of the month coordinator here] would DEFINITELY be an upgrade over Sean McDermott. Well, not so fast. Be careful what you wish for.

In short, I think it's more than loyalty that keeps coach McDermott employed. I think it's the fact that he's been wildly successful.

While I maintain my concerns about Ken Dorsey and, if the offensive ship isn't righted, would support potentially moving on from him in the offseason...I think it's too early and not yet reasonable to suggest replacing Sean McDermott. Talk to me again at the end of the season, but as it stands now, he has proven to be a very good NFL head coach.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

Thanks for this post.

I believe that if Sean McDermott were to be available this offseason, he'd be hired VERY quickly by another team. He is the Bills' all-time leader in winning percentage as a head coach, ahead of Hall of Famer Marv Levy. He has led the Bills -- who hadn't made the playoffs for seventeen consecutive seasons -- to the playoffs in five of his six seasons as head coach. He routinely posts double digit wins. He coached the Bills to a 13-3 record last season despite absolutely unreal levels of challenges (which I won't go into here, as everyone knows by now). Even now, as we all sit here and feel like the sky is falling, the Bills are 4-3 and a game back from the division lead.

In short, I think it's more than loyalty that keeps coach McDermott employed. I think it's the fact that he's been wildly successful.

While I maintain my concerns about Ken Dorsey and, if the offensive ship isn't righted, would support potentially moving on from him in the offseason...I think it's too early and not yet reasonable to suggest replacing Sean McDermott. Talk to me again at the end of the season, but as it stands now, he has proven to be a very good NFL head coach.

Well articulated. 

I would look at his playoff performances more than I would the regular season. 

I would also look at our offense and ask why more hasn't been done to support Allen.  Granted, we're getting Beane involved, and while many others around the league may not understand the preordained arrangement between Beane and McD, with the latter having brought the former on rather than the traditional visa versa, we do, so I take that for granted.  

He would be hired quickly, but I think that his flaws would become far more visible at the same time.  

Either way, unless your answer to the question is McD (is it?), then you did not answer the question.  You merely hedged apologetically for McD.  

If, at the present time, the team were rudderless (aka w/o head coach), your first choice would be McD then?  ... of all of the potentially available candidates that is.  Not Reid for example.  

14 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Again with the s.

Ooh a false choice fallacy.  Clever.  I probably should have stopped reading at “He’s not flawless…..BUT…..”.

No false choice, don't hide behind it.  ;) 

It's a simple question, whom would you hire for the role if he weren't out head coach?  If it's him, say so.   And why.  

Shouldn't be a difficult question.  Take as long as you like to answer it.  

There's on trickery here!  Don't use it as an excuse.  

• Like (+1) 1

They were talking about the Bills on WFAN and Craig Carton chimed in. Blames McDermott for Allen's struggles.

With the Buffalo Bills now 4-3 heading into Week 8, pressure is arising on them. Allen has faced a lot of criticism from the media this season, but Craig Carton believes that head coach Sean McDermott is to blame for Allen's regression this season.

Here's what Carton said on his show:

"They're a dysfunctional mess and to me, it's not so much about Josh, it's as much about Sean McDermott as it is about anything. But I would like them to allow Josh Allen to just go play football."

"I think when you talk too much to young players, and try to mold them into what you think a prototypical quarterback or any position should be, you take away what makes him special. I think that's what's happening in Buffalo."

"It's enough talk, let the kid meaning Josh Allen, just go out there and play football. The way he plays it, if he gets hurt, he gets hurt. If he throws a bad pick once in a while, he throws a bad pick, but they're messing with the kid's brain. And I think that's the biggest problem in Buffalo right now."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Either way, unless your answer to the question is McD (is it?), then you did not answer the question.  You merely hedged apologetically for McD.  

If, at the present time, the team were rudderless (aka w/o head coach), your first choice would be McD then?  ... of all of the potentially available candidates that is.  Not Reid for example. 

This question seems impossible to answer because we don't know who would be available. 

Take Ben Johnson, for instance. He seems to be a popular choice around here lately. He just pulled himself off the table after being interviewed for a head coaching position this past offseason, stating that he'd rather remain OC for the Lions.

The tough part, ultimately, is that we don't know what coordinators would make good head coaches. I believe that it takes more than just Xs and Os to be a good head coach. I look for leadership, first and foremost. And that kind of thing is hard to gauge for us as fans, without knowing what these meeting rooms look like or what qualities of leadership these coordinators do or do not have.

To answer your question the best I can: I am starting to believe that I would prefer that the Bills had a very astute offensive mind running the show. I believe that the current NFL is dominated by forward thinking offenses, and it's hard for me to buy into the notion that the Bills will ever truly have that as long as McDermott is head coach. Further, even if they DO get an offensive coordinator who is forward thinking and innovative, he'd likely be poached after a year or two.

Up until very recently, I've been fine with a "defensive guy" being head coach, for two main reasons: One, I felt that his leadership and culture-building trumped whatever he lacked in offensive prowess. Two, I feel that pairing a consistently elite defense with a great quarterback can still be a championship recipe in the modern NFL. The thing that has started to change my mind on these factors is, as to the first point, that for all the "leadership and culture-building" McDermott offers, the Bills have far too many "wakeup call" games per year, where they look unprepared and uninterested. And as to the second point, the "consistently elite defense" folds when it runs into truly elite offenses, particularly in the playoffs.

So if your culture and leadership aren't producing detail-oriented, consistent, complementary, winning football, and your bread and butter (in McDermott's case, defense) isn't showing up in key moments, then what exactly are you bringing to the table? For these reasons, my stance on McDermott definitely being the no-doubt-about-it guy to lead the Bills has begun to soften.

ALL OF THAT HAVING BEEN SAID...how do you possibly fire a guy who wins you the division and gets you to the playoffs every single year, whose playoff record is not bad overall, when compared to his contemporaries, and who is currently leading a team with a winning record and a legitimate shot at another division title? You can't do it. That's why, despite everything I just stated, I still feel that it's premature to discuss firing McDermott at this moment in time. Talk to me again after the season, and once we know what replacement candidates are available.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Idk I would be fired up if I just witnessed my leader run someone over then have that maniacal fire in his eyes 

hell yea I wanted to jump through tables for that

idk I hate the new Josh to be honest - old Josh was fun and kicked ass - new Josh is like jay cutler boring 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Logic said:

This question seems impossible to answer because we don't know who would be available. 

Take Ben Johnson, for instance. He seems to be a popular choice around here lately. He just pulled himself off the table after being interviewed for a head coaching position this past offseason, stating that he'd rather remain OC for the Lions.

The tough part, ultimately, is that we don't know what coordinators would make good head coaches. I believe that it takes more than just Xs and Os to be a good head coach. I look for leadership, first and foremost. And that kind of thing is hard to gauge for us as fans, without knowing what these meeting rooms look like or what qualities of leadership these coordinators do or do not have.

To answer your question the best I can: I am starting to believe that I would prefer that the Bills had a very astute offensive mind running the show. I believe that the current NFL is dominated by forward thinking offenses, and it's hard for me to buy into the notion that the Bills will ever truly have that as long as McDermott is head coach. Further, even if they DO get an offensive coordinator who is forward thinking and innovative, he'd likely be poached after a year or two.

Up until very recently, I've been fine with a "defensive guy" being head coach, for two main reasons: One, I felt that his leadership and culture-building trumped whatever he lacked in offensive prowess. Two, I feel that pairing a consistently elite defense with a great quarterback can still be a championship recipe in the modern NFL. The thing that has started to change my mind on these factors is, as to the first point, that for all the "leadership and culture-building" McDermott offers, the Bills have far too many "wakeup call" games per year, where they look unprepared and uninterested. And as to the second point, the "consistently elite defense" folds when it runs into truly elite offenses, particularly in the playoffs.

So if your culture and leadership aren't producing detail-oriented, consistent, complementary, winning football, and your bread and butter (in McDermott's case, defense) isn't showing up in key moments, then what exactly are you bringing to the table? For these reasons, my stance on McDermott definitely being the no-doubt-about-it guy to lead the Bills has begun to soften.

ALL OF THAT HAVING BEEN SAID...how do you possibly fire a guy who wins you the division and gets you to the playoffs every single year, whose playoff record is not bad overall, when compared to his contemporaries, and who is currently leading a team with a winning record and a legitimate shot at another division title? You can't do it. That's why, despite everything I just stated, I still feel that it's premature to discuss firing McDermott at this moment in time. Talk to me again after the season, and once we know what replacement candidates are available.

Problem with keeping McDermott is the defense is now old and he is going to continue to pile resources into it vs going balls out on offense.  Safeties are old who even knows what we have at corner  He is going to convince himself its easier to squeeze more from the offense by limiting mistakes vs opening up the offense  Yeah we could certainly do worse but think the Bills need a new sense of direction and I dont think McDermott has it in himself to reinvent who he is and how  he thinks they can reach their goals of a title

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Idk I would be fired up if I just witnessed my leader run someone over then have that maniacal fire in his eyes 

hell yea I wanted to jump through tables for that

idk I hate the new Josh to be honest - old Josh was fun and kicked ass - new Josh is like jay cutler boring 

Josh Allen's job is to win football games, not to fire you up.

Let me preface this by saying on the list of problems this team has I don’t think Josh is in the Top 5. We need a team that can win when Josh isn’t doing it all himself.

I’ve never been on the “Josh needs to run less” train and now I’m pissed because I think his whole head space has been mangled by the coaches and Beane beating into him that he has to protect himself. 

He needs to run smarter, not less. They neutered him and it’s clear it’s taken away some of his fire. His whole game is off at times because he needs to lay a f’n shoulder into a dude to get the fires really burning. . Since his 2nd season I always waited for that one run where he dished out the pain at the end of a run and thought “now we will start cooking”. 

All this “low positive” zen sht needs to take a hike. Give me the guy with a fire in his belly, firing up his teammates and sht talking all game long and I’ll accept a bunch of “WTF was that” interceptions because he’s putting up twice as many TDs. 

He’s 6 years in. He doesn’t need Dorsey to tell him to hit a hot route when the blitz comes. Give me Sugar High Josh back who wants to score on every play and lay out a linebacker because this version is thinking too much and not playing.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Drew21PA said:

Yeahhhhh - buttttt

not when he’s suppose to have matured - and he didn’t have the cast he how now…soooo you’re wrong 

Yes, I am wrong.

His job is to fire up the fans like a professional wrestler. :rolleyes:

Just now, Simon said:

Yes, I am wrong.

His job is to fire up the fans like a professional wrestler. :rolleyes:

Becuase that is exactly what is being stated

ya know what? Never mind if that’s what you got from that then ok

but I think you’re just arguing for arguments sake

Just now, Drew21PA said:

Becuase that is exactly what is being stated

ya know what? Never mind if that’s what you got from that then ok

but I think you’re just arguing for arguments sake

I'm arguing because I'm tired of seeing people trying to psychoanalyze this kid from 4 seconds of video and then projecting their own needs onto what they see instead of recognizing that he's a QB that's supposed to be a cold-blooded assassin and not a mindless raging berserker.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Really great post. Agree you can't fire McD at this point. It just would be too disruptive and hard to overcome that drastic of a change. 

Where we probably differ is McD should have been let go after the Cinci playoff loss. Add in the 13 second disaster and previous playoff disappointments. This fan had seen enough! 

This season is apparent that they are regressing, the McD culture building has lost it's bite, and players are seemingly unprepared and not focused.

How the head coach isn't held accountable is beyond me. How he escaped the 13 second blunder without even a scratch is ridiculous. How he didn't receive significant criticism when his team didn't show up for the Cinci game is remarkable. It's excuse after excuse after excuse. This fan is out of excuses.

I suspect McD will remain the coach next year even if the Bills don't make the playoffs this year. Be careful what you ask for. The writing is on the wall for change. We fans should embrace it and not fear it. That fear will keep the Bills from representing the AFC in the SB. 

Folks, the McD show has clearly run it's course. Its time to give him his props and clap him to another team not named Buffalo. 

Thank you coach McD for everything you have done. You have earned our respect. Best of luck with your next team. 

Edited by newcam2012

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Really great post. Agree you can't fire McD at this point. It just would be too disruptive and hard to overcome that drastic of a change. 

Where we probably differ is McD should have been let go after the Cinci playoff loss. Add in the 13 second disaster and previous playoff disappointments. This fan had seen enough!  After the Bills went 13-3 in the regular season, losing those three games by a combined 8 points, despite the INSANE amount of things they went through...I don't think it would have been reasonable at all to fire Sean McDermott after the Cincy playoff loss. Every team gets outclassed in a big time game from time to time. It happens. It's not reason enough to fire someone. He should've been closer to being named "coach of the year" last season than being fired.

This season is apparent that they are regressing, the McD culture building has lost it's bite, and players are seeming unprepared and not focused.

How the head coach isn't held accountable is beyond me. How he escaped the 13 second blunder without even a scratch is head scratching. How he didn't receive significant criticism when his team didn't show up for the Cinci game is remarkable. It's excuse after excuse after excuse. He DID receive significant criticism for both the Cincy AND KC playoff losses. We also don't know what exactly happened behind closed doors with Leslie Frazier's exit, but a significant change WAS made.

I suspect McD will remain the coach next year even if the Bills don't make the playoffs this year. Be careful what you ask for. The writings on the wall for change. We fans should embrace it and not fear it. That fear will keep the Bills from representing the AFC in the SB. 

Folks, the McD show has clearly run it's course. Its time to give him his props and clap him to another team not named Buffalo. Just a few weeks ago, the Bills were coming off a 28 point SHELLACKING of the Miami Dolphins, the team was on a roll, and it looked like they'd figured out what ailed them and were on their way to another excellent season. Yes, they've hit a lull, again, and I admit that these early-midseason lulls are becoming all too common. Still, I'm not ready to say that the recent bad three game stretch is more representative of this year's Bills team than the three game winning streak that preceded it. 

My responses are bolded.

Put simply, I respect your position that it's time to replace McDermott, and I respectfully disagree. We need to see how this season plays out, in my opinion.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.