IF Allen Tried to Force His Way Out of Buffalo...

BuffaloBaumer

3 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Ill bite.

I think in these cases (Rodgers, Wilson), there are plenty of public knowledge/rumors of the QB being unhappy and frustrated before a move goes down.  If/when Allen is ever unhappy, and feels he needs to go above the coach, I think he would/could go to ownership to request change, in which case it would be on Pegula to indulge the star QB or get the backs of the coaching staff/management.

It wouldn't be a thing Allen decides overnight and suddenly starts to demand a trade.  IMO Buffalo ownership would probably work with him.  

If I was the Pegulas in this situation, the whole coaching staff would be fired before Josh Allen even leaves the room 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Ill bite.

I think in these cases (Rodgers, Wilson), there are plenty of public knowledge/rumors of the QB being unhappy and frustrated before a move goes down.  If/when Allen is ever unhappy, and feels he needs to go above the coach, I think he would/could go to ownership to request change, in which case it would be on Pegula to indulge the star QB or get the backs of the coaching staff/management.

It wouldn't be a thing Allen decides overnight and suddenly starts to demand a trade.  IMO Buffalo ownership would probably work with him.  

Yeah I think a better question, which has really been coming into focus for me personally lately, is whether Allen/McDermott is the right QB/coach combination (for either of them).  I don't know the answer but you rarely hear them (or the media) talk about how McD is the perfect coach for Josh.  And sometimes it sure feels like McD was calmer with Tyrod back there doing his dink-and-dunk ball-control B.S.  I'm not saying I have a view about this one way or the other, I don't - but it's a really interesting question.  Would Allen be better off with a different kind of head coach?  Would McDermott somehow be freed up to coach the team his way with a different kind of QB, maybe a "system" QB?  I don't know, but I'm sure starting to wonder.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yeah I think a better question, which has really been coming into focus for me personally lately, is whether Allen/McDermott is the right QB/coach combination (for either of them).  I don't know the answer but you rarely hear them (or the media) talk about how McD is the perfect coach for Josh.  And sometimes it sure feels like McD was calmer with Tyrod back there doing his dink-and-dunk ball-control B.S.  I'm not saying I have a view about this one way or the other, I don't - but it's a really interesting question.  Would Allen be better off with a different kind of head coach?  Would McDermott somehow be freed up to coach the team his way with a different kind of QB, maybe a "system" QB?  I don't know, but I'm sure starting to wonder.

McDermott would be better off with a different kind of QB ? McDermott is being held back from coaching his way because of Josh Allen ?

• Haha (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, julian said:

McDermott would be better off with a different kind of QB ? McDermott is being held back from coaching his way because of Josh Allen ?

If McD is better off with a different kind of QB, it would just confirm to me that he's an idiot - but I'm asking the question regardless.  I am not stating it as a fact.  And the more interesting question, related to the OP, is whether McD is the right coach to get Allen a ring.

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Allen wanted continuity - he didn't want some new dude to come in and change everything.  They brought in Mike Shula who McDermott has worked with in the past and has called plays before, as well as joe brady at QB coach.  There's a lot of experience within the org offensively, so they could potentially go a lot of different directions.  

As much as people hate on dorsey, there have been a lot of execution struggles.  I think he falls into habits of repeating concepts, or trying to attack the defense the same way rather than figuring out ways to create wide open looks for players.  I think theres... room for improvement in the run game.  He also has some issues with spacing. 

At the same time though - you have Allen zeroing in on diggs, or holding the ball when the people are open.  Drops have been much more common in the last 2 weeks - which happens to every offense.  Run game has been absent in the first half of the last 2 games.  Protection has been worse the last two weeks, be it simulated pressure or blitzes they seem to be getting through.  

I hate this thread, and that I am adding to it. Ugh. But this point is a good discussion. 

I actually think it is the opposite. For years there has been talk of the EP in Buffalo and that week to week it can totally morph into very different offensive philosophies. If anything I think that our ups and downs on a weekly basis the last few years is execution of every changing concepts. 

I would much prefer the Bills lean into themselves, their players, and their skill sets, and build on that. 

In regards to the leaning into Diggs. There is so much over simplification of NFL offenses on this board where everything is boiled down to "well Diggs is the first read" or something similar. And while yes, most passing plays will be designed to get your best player open/the ball, everything changes as soon as the QB gets to the line of scrimmage. The read changes based on pre snap coverages, and post snap movement. NFL offenses and defenses are wildly complicated. For all the videos and breakdowns most of us watch on this board this one surprises me. How many live plays or film reviews have we seen where Romo, the Mannings, or Warner go "The play is designed to go to player x. But based on the coverage the DB/LB/Coverage the QB should know that they are going to take that away, and should be looking to go to player y with the ball"

This is all just silly speculation when all we have to do is pick up the phone, call Terry and just ask him if this is possibly on the table.

That and since we have him on the phone if there is any swag laying around he wouldn't mind parting with.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

10 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

If McD is better off with a different kind of QB, it would just confirm to me that he's an idiot - but I'm asking the question regardless.  I am not stating it as a fact.  And the more interesting question, related to the OP, is whether McD is the right coach to get Allen a ring.

I think their personalities (McD is unapproachable, extremely disciplined, and a little cold, whereas Allen is a delightful but kind of reckless overgrown child) compliment each other well.  They probably need each other more than they realize.  

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Interesting thread.  I just finished reading this take by Cowherd and came to 2BD:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-colin-cowherd-pins-blame-sean-mcdermott-wasting-josh-allen-s-prime-buffalo

"The Bills haven't had their best start to the season and have struggled even in games they are able to pull off the victory."

Ah yes, nothing says struggles like winning 3 of 4 games by 20+ points. Two weeks ago, all anyone could talk about was how the Bills have the greatest DVOA ever for a 3-1 team. I get that the past 2 weeks have looked rough, but holy smokes, this is the NFL, not some SEC team playing out of conference games. 

Another thing, the Bills have started 4-2 in 3 of the past 4 seasons. Plenty of offensive duds in those years, too, even with Daboll running the O. 

And one more thing: In 2021, Cowherd had Beane/McDermott in his top 3 GM/Coach combos. But for the past year and a half he's been on a tyrade about offensive-minded coaches so now he's out on McD because it doesn't fit his new narrative.  

• Agree 1

Let's pretend this happen in the off season. Bills get 3 1st round picks for Allen from the Giants. Bills will start exploring trades for Diggs and Knox (if possible). Bills will then draft a QB and invest in Offensive players for the majority of the next three drafts hoping they hit on a QB. Depending on how much success the Bills have during those years will determine if McDermott stays or goes. I do believe they replace him with an Offensive Minded HC after year 1 imo. 

59 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

did you SEE the way he hugged Daboll after the game on Sunday?

They owe each other something. Daboll designed an offense that played to Allen's strengths while giving him time to work on his weaknesses. Allen probably knows that if he'd gone to the Browns or Jets, he wouldn't be the superstar that he is today. Allen's success, in return, gave Daboll a reputation as a QB whisperer, which scored him the HC gig. If I were either of them, I'd give the other an enthusiastic post-game hug.

And while I'm sure Dabs would love to have Josh as his QB (I mean, who wouldn't?), that doesn't necessarily mean that Josh wants to jump ship. If he ever showed a desire to leave, I'd take him over to Oishei and point out the Patricia Allen Memorial Wing, compliments of Bills fans.

Real talk though, if Josh tried to leave he literally would have to force his way out - there would be a human / snowplow ring made around the entirety of the City of Buffalo and NO Allen's would be allowed to leave, especially Josh... :beer:

Also, +1 to everyone for the memes / gifs 🤣

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

No kidding.  The doom narratives during the drought were less ridiculous than the things people come up with now.

Theory:

Some portion of this board and the fanbase in general have come to behave exactly like patriots fans of the previous two decades

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Interesting thread.  I just finished reading this take by Cowherd and came to 2BD:

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-colin-cowherd-pins-blame-sean-mcdermott-wasting-josh-allen-s-prime-buffalo

Cowherd is cowsh*t.  Media Personality only.  Does this for clicks and viewership.  Seems to be working.  His take on our o-line is invalid.  Also, is JA17 all of a sudden 33 years old.  Also, his take on Offensive HC's over Defensive HC's is another blunder.  He is comparing every coach to Andy Reid when leading with that metric.  That immediately puts all other coaches behind the 8ball.  

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Josh is going to pull a Lebron and leave after his contract is up. He's taking his talents to ____________. His gf/future wife is about to star in a Marvel movie. Do you think she wants to eat chicken wings at Bar Bill every Saturday night? Josh on the 49ers or Rams would be something to watch for 

49ers have Purdy

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

It's not anytime soon, but I've always thought Allen would find a way to end his career near home and with his boyhood team, San Francisco.  

Purdy

11 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

49ers have Purdy

Purdy

Purdy sucks what's your point? You think they are giving him one of these 55-60 mil per year contracts that franchise QB's get when they could just offer that to Josh instead when he's a free agent?

• Vomit 1

Soooo, looking at the responses, we dooon't think this would ever be an issue? Wow people, a little sensitive I would say 😄The whole point of this was basically to say that this coaching staff has already stripped away 1 Super Bowl and if it continues to hinder the potential of this team, issues could surface. 

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I don't see McD ever changing his coaching philosophy even after going from DC to HC and in his current role, after having a franchise QB.  I think he's always wanted a balanced run-pass offense that focused on ball control and a strong defense.  He seems uncomfortable with a franchise QB and the importance of passing the ball.  

Reminds me of the times people ask why HC's, particularly in the NFL, refuse to adapt their personnel to scheme upon taking over. 

Because deep down McD is about avoiding risk and the defensive side offers that much more than offensive focused football, particularly the passing game.  And that's why I don't see McD as the coach who gets them to the promised land.    

First of all...Josh Allen LOVES Buffalo! When he talks about this he states, "This is where I'm meant to be"!

Does anyone else recall the outpouring of love that this fanbase gave his family after his Grandmother passed away...more than 3 million to the Patricia Allen fund? 

They are not getting rid of McD for Brian Daboll...the Buffalo Bills are 4-2 with a plus 34-point differential. The NY Giants are a 1-5 with a negative 96-point differential. 

This team still has a solid shot at not only the playoffs but also the SB. 

What is it with some people to make posts like this? Just stop! Or go root for your real favorite team and leave the Buffalo Bills alone.

57 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Purdy sucks what's your point? You think they are giving him one of these 55-60 mil per year contracts that franchise QB's get when they could just offer that to Josh instead when he's a free agent?

Well considering only Josh is a better QB than Purdy... yes because he's almost a whole contract younger than Josh.