McD much better D coordinator than Frazier

TwistofFate

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

McDermott is one of the best defensive minds in the league. So that isn't a surprise. But Leslie Frazier's defense held down teams like Vegas and Washington too. The way people talk about Leslie you'd think we had been an awful defense the past 6 years. 

No more 3 and 25 and give up the first down. No more read and react. No more 3-4 back off 10 yards 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1

I'm not seeing a big difference with the Defense. Under Frazier we would tend to feast on bad offenses/young QBs (other than the Zach Wilson Jets). That's the same pattern so far this year. 

Let's see how we do against the Dolphins next week and ultimately the playoffs before crowning the McD defense. 

• Like (+1) 4

It's true. And it's good for Sean to "dance with the one who brung him".

Core competency. It's everything. He's a decent head coach/locker room guy in general, but it's nice to see him get back to what he does best. And quite frankly it might make him look like alot better of a HC too.

37 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Watching this game, you wonder why Sean allowed Frazier to run the defense for so long. He was so timid and passive. Sean brings pressure, is aggressive and has the personnel using their athleticism. The thought of Miller, Floyd and Rousseau pinning their ears back with the ferocious play of Oliver and the other tackles in the middle gives fans confidence that unless you’re coming with elite O-lines, we’re going to dominate like the last 2 weeks. Next week, against Miami, will be a good barometer of how good we are.

Even worse is all the years Hughes was wasted here during his prime. 

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

The D does look a lot better.  Next week will be a huge test. If we can get to Tua and hit him repeatedly, theres no way that he lasts the game, let alone is accurate.

They do have Mike "flak jacket" White.

20 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Great point, but you didn’t expect Sean to expose Frazier to the criticism he deserved.

Or the criticism he did not deserve.

45 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

McDermott is one of the best defensive minds in the league. So that isn't a surprise. But Leslie Frazier's defense held down teams like Vegas and Washington too. The way people talk about Leslie you'd think we had been an awful defense the past 6 years. 

I'm not a Frazier fan at all, but I'm not ready to anoint McD as the second coming.  Let's see how it plays out.  He didn't exactly light the world on fire against the Jest and Zach Wilson.  Frazier was competent, but came up small in the biggest moments.  We'll have to see whether McD can turn that tendency around.

13 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I'm not seeing a big difference with the Defense. Under Frazier we would tend to feast on bad offenses/young QBs (other than the Zach Wilson Jets). That's the same pattern so far this year. 

Let's see how we do against the Dolphins next week and ultimately the playoffs before crowning the McD defense. 

Yeah let’s wait until game 101 of McDermott’s tenure before making any judgements. 

3 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I'm not a Frazier fan at all, but I'm not ready to anoint McD as the second coming.  Let's see how it plays out.  He didn't exactly light the world on fire against the Jest and Zach Wilson.  Frazier was competent, but came up small in the biggest moments.  We'll have to see whether McD can turn that tendency around.

Defense did good against the Jets. Miracle catch by Wilson in the end zone skewed everyone’s memory. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

Yet we always heard people saying that Frazier was running the defense that McDermott wanted. It's early in the season, but so far it looks like Frazier and McDermott have different philosophies.

The bottom line is McDermott hired Frazier.  He had plenty of opportunities (13 seconds) to make the change sooner.  I'm happy he's taking over and his defense is flying around.  Just wish we hadn't wasted these last 2 seasons on Frazier's scared style.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

To 10 and 3 points, respectively?   Not to mention the sacks, QB pressures and turnovers.

8 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

Yeah let’s wait until game 101 of McDermott’s tenure before making any judgements. 

Defense did good against the Jets. Miracle catch by Wilson in the end zone skewed everyone’s memory. 

McD has had 3 games this season as defensive playcaller. That's a ridiculously small sample size. The knock against Frazier was that the DEF would disappear in the playoffs and/or against elite offenses. McD has yet to playcall against a top offense or a playoff game so yes, let's wait and see. 

We allowed the Jets a season high in both points and yards.

Allowing 16 points and 289 yards of offense would normally be a fantastic outing. But we were playing the Zach Wilson led Jets. The worst offense in the league. I wouldn't say the defense cost us the game, but they did not play well either. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

It was hardly the defence that lost that game. 

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

Even worse is all the years Hughes was wasted here during his prime. 

And given tuas injury history think he can be thrown off his game a bit easier with the pressure he'll see from our dline.  All the points they picked up vd Broncos will give them a false sense of security and belief in their offense.  Makes it that much easier to get them rattled early when St Bernard gets Tua on his knees as he gets sacked.  I expect they will find out how good their bu is once we smack to a in the mouthba few times.  No dirty plays bug if Milano gets him like his textbook hit on that qb last year, forget who it was on. Just that it was clean as ND Tua will be wanting to sit on the bench after r he gets taken down by cookie or any of our pressures.  

7 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

It was hardly the defence that lost that game. 

Yea Josh lost that game by his getting impatient.  

So far I think they look like a McDermott defense again. This is similar to what his defense played like in Carolina and his first couple seasons in Buffalo.

I felt like maybe Frazier took more control of the defense the last few years and so far it appears that might have been the case. Time will tell though. The real test will be the playoffs I think.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed, but McDermott is definitely more aggressive, and he has been getting the defensive line to play with more nastiness, as Greg Rousseau mentioned on the broadcast.

• Agree 3

Ooo watching fins very closely another thing I noticed 

team defenses have been playing them pretty straight up. Not a lot of disguises, line games, coverage games. 

McD is gonna have to pull all of that out of the bag because Tua is seeing the field phenomenally right now with teams playing them straight up. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yeah I don’t want to sound like so am digging Fraiser he had a top Defense too. Just with McD calling the plays in that same structure it just looks more aggressive. 

I know we have always talked about getting pressure with 4. And maybe it is the growth of groot and Oliver but without Vonn we are getting that pressure in spades 

• Like (+1) 1

Let me put it this way.  Given what Miami just did, how confident would you be for next week if Frasier was our DC?

I'm far more encouraged because Buffalo is now a far more aggressive defense, and that is how you beat top teams.  They need to get Tua rattled.  Force him into bad decisions.  And that's something a Frasier-led defense never seemed to get done.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Let me put it this way.  Given what Miami just did, how confident would you be for next week if Frasier was our DC?

I'm far more encouraged because Buffalo is now a far more aggressive defense, and that is how you beat top teams.  They need to get Tua rattled.  Force him into bad decisions.  And that's something a Frasier-led defense never seemed to get done.

100000%

2 hours ago, SUNTANBILLS FAN said:

No more 3 and 25 and give up the first down. No more read and react. No more 3-4 back off 10 yards 

Yeah my son and I were talking about this today - nice that 3rd and 19 is no longer our Achilles heel on defense

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The bottom line is McDermott hired Frazier.  He had plenty of opportunities (13 seconds) to make the change sooner.  I'm happy he's taking over and his defense is flying around.  Just wish we hadn't wasted these last 2 seasons on Frazier's scared style.

McDermott called the D during 13 seconds. 

38 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Let’s see how they look when they face a GOOD offense.  I mean the Jets, Raiders and Commanders are hardly high flying O teams. 

We've played many GOOD offenses with nearly the same roster.

This isn't some kind of coming out party, we've been a top D for years.  This defense, particularly the D line paired with an aggressive scheme, is different. 

We will come after you....its showing already. 

Frazier’s defensive schemes lacked aggression and failed in the post season because he coached to not lose vs coaching to win, it became very obvious during the last couple of seasons, he stated that he disliked making in game adjustments, because he thought he would lose the respect of his players, (he said as much in an interview) when the reverse was the reality. LF is a good guy, but he had to be let go for the greater good. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.