McD much better D coordinator than Frazier

TwistofFate

Frazier was the problem all along, in my opinion.  He coaches scared.  The bigger the game, the worse the defense.

Just now, Beast said:

We have looked great through 3 weeks but haven’t played a good offense yet.

Next week….squish the fish!

Excuse me?  Washington isn't a good offense? 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Frazier was the problem all along, in my opinion.  He coaches scared.  The bigger the game, the worse the defense.

Some people were worried before the game. 

Great defenses make decent offenses look terrible. Negative minded people say every year that the Bills “haven’t played a good offense yet”. We make good offenses look bad. It’s hilarious how we hear it every year. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

No, they aren’t.

They scored 20 against the Cardinals and 35 against the Broncos.

Are you saying the Broncos have a good defense?

• Haha (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Beast said:

No, they aren’t.

So if Wash scored 35 against the Broncos and 3 against the Bills, and Miami scored 70 aganst the Broncos.   

Then Miami should score 6 points against Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Watching this game, you wonder why Sean allowed Frazier to run the defense for so long. He was so timid and passive. Sean brings pressure, is aggressive and has the personnel using their athleticism. The thought of Miller, Floyd and Rousseau pinning their ears back with the ferocious play of Oliver and the other tackles in the middle gives fans confidence that unless you’re coming with elite O-lines, we’re going to dominate like the last 2 weeks. Next week, against Miami, will be a good barometer of how good we are.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

11 minutes ago, Beast said:

No, they aren’t.

No they don't.  But all we heard all week was how good the Washington offense was.  Howell was playing lights out.  They have a great one/two punch running.  One of the best WR trios in the league.  A solid o-line.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

McDermott is one of the best defensive minds in the league. So that isn't a surprise. But Leslie Frazier's defense held down teams like Vegas and Washington too. The way people talk about Leslie you'd think we had been an awful defense the past 6 years. 

Not saying that at all but the difference is evident and noticeable. 

• Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, TwistofFate said:

They look ferocious.  They look like players McD wanted and are doing what he expected them to do. 

With the amount of investment the DLine actually looks like what we expected it to be = Scary

AS many have already said as well all this is without Von too. I can't even imagine what things will look like in a couple weeks if he comes back to form?

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Watching this game, you wonder why Sean allowed Frazier to run the defense for so long. He was so timid and passive. Sean brings pressure, is aggressive and has the personnel using their athleticism. The thought of Miller, Floyd and Rousseau pinning their ears back with the ferocious play of Oliver and the other tackles in the middle gives fans confidence that unless you’re coming with elite O-lines, we’re going to dominate like the last 2 weeks. Next week, against Miami, will be a good barometer of how good we are.

I think it was a classic case of being too good to fire but bad enough to not win the big one. 

Frazier came with a reputation and certain amount of respect. We were winning constantly. The defenses had great rankings every year. It would’ve been a weird look to move on from him but I think 13 seconds led to same bad feelings and the Bengals games was the nail in the coffin. 

You can see in how Frazier was let go that it was a sensitive subject. Diversity is another aspect of it. Optics would’ve been bad. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

9 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Yet we always heard people saying that Frazier was running the defense that McDermott wanted. It's early in the season, but so far it looks like Frazier and McDermott have different philosophies.

• Thank you (+1) 2

Lot of people were like it is the same defense which is true. However, play caller has made a huge difference bet no one misses Frazier now. Beginning of the year I would settle for middle of the pack defense if we were making more impact plays and causing turnovers. Will definitely need some next week with the track team they have built over in Miami.

Edited by billieve420

39 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s definitely better for Ed Oliver. Wow, what a different player. He’s dominating. If he keeps this up his contract is a bargain.

I noticed a “handler” next to Oliver all game when on the sideline. I think he’s really got a screw loose and the Bills assigned a guy to be his “best friend”. 

And I’m okay with that. 

• Haha (+1) 2

They attack.  That's the difference.  There are some QBs that will carve you up given enough time, and those are the QBs that shredded us.  Bend but don't break only went so far.

This D is savage, and good things happen when you begin to rattle a QB.  We saw it today.  It's not just the stats, it's how we got there.

Next week will be a huge test.  Right now it's starting to look like an irresistable force hitting an unmoveable object.

...and Von Miller is still looming on the horizon. >.>

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, TwistofFate said:

This defense looks wild, full of fire and aggressive.   They look much better under full control of McDermott. 

I for one am not at all surprised, it’s exactly what I expected once Loosely Frazier was gone and McD took over.  Was one of my favorite things of the off season and I’m loving watching it

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

I think it was a classic case of being too good to fire but bad enough to not win the big one. 

Frazier came with a reputation and certain amount of respect. We were winning constantly. The defenses had great rankings every year. It would’ve been a weird look to move on from him but I think 13 seconds led to same bad feelings and the Bengals games was the nail in the coffin. 

You can see in how Frazier was let go that it was a sensitive subject. Diversity is another aspect of it. Optics would’ve been bad. 

Thank you for articulating what happened. Bingo

6 minutes ago, ToGoGo said:

You make a good case for why they kept him, but he got dumped by 4 separate teams where the defense ( his strength supposedly)didn’t distinguish themselves as being quality. We actually made him look better than he deserved with talented personnel. I’m glad we put him in the rear view.

12 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

Yet we always heard people saying that Frazier was running the defense that McDermott wanted. It's early in the season, but so far it looks like Frazier and McDermott have different philosophies.

Great point, but you didn’t expect Sean to expose Frazier to the criticism he deserved.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Eastport bills said:

You make a good case for why they kept him, but he got dumped by 4 separate teams where the defense ( his strength supposedly)didn’t distinguish themselves as being quality. We actually made him look better than he deserved with talented personnel. I’m glad we put him in the rear view.

Every single one of us is glad 

@ToGoGo said enough for us all to understand why it was a complicated offing. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.