Beane concerned with Kyle Allen?

MarkKelso'sHelmet

I live outside the U.S., so I have to watch the feed from DAZN (which is awful, but that's another story)

This week we got the Chicago feed. The announcers were Jim Miller and some other guy. They actually did a good job focusing on both clubs, not only paying attention to the Bears.

But here's the interesting part. During the commercials, the feed stayed with the stadium broadcast. In one break, Miller and his partner's mics were left on and we got to hear their off air conversation. This is almost a direct quote (not sure if it was Miller or his partner who was speaking)

"Beane told me Allen has struggled from the very beginning. He just doesn't have what it takes / it's never gonna happen for him. He said he was very concerned."

Anyone else want to corroborate what I heard?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

I live outside the U.S., so I have to watch the feed from DAZN (which is awful, but that's another story)

This week we got the Chicago feed. The announcers were Jim Miller and some other guy. They actually did a good job focusing on both clubs, not only paying attention to the Bears.

But here's the interesting part. During the commercials, the feed stayed with the stadium broadcast. In one break, Miller and his partner's mics were left on and we got to hear their off air conversation. This is almost a direct quote (not sure if it was Miller or his partner who was speaking)

"Beane told me Allen has struggled from the very beginning. He just doesn't have what it takes / it's never gonna happen for him. He said he was very concerned."

Wow. It looks like the Bills need a back up QB badly. 

Does anyone think Allen or Barkley  are serviceable if Josh goes down? Or does Beane have to make a move? 

• Eyeroll 1

Ooops!

Just now, newcam2012 said:

Wow. It looks like the Bills need a back up QB badly. 

Does anyone think Allen or Barkley  are serviceable if Josh goes down? Or does Beane have to make a move? 

I wish they’d make a move.  I’ll take PJ Walker over these guys.  Hell, I’d take a chad Kelly over these bums 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I was watching the bears broadcast too on NFL+. I wasn't paying attention during the breaks so I didn't hear. Although, I don't think it's a surprise to anyone if this is true. Allen has been garbage against 2s, 3s, and players that will be on the couch with the rest of us soon. He had one good throw, the TD to Morris. Everything else was an overthrow or off target.

Beane needs to go shopping for a competent backup. Too bad Fitz isn't willing to play a year on the bench.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

I was watching the bears broadcast too on NFL+. I wasn't paying attention during the breaks so I didn't hear. Although, I don't think it's a surprise to anyone if this is true. Allen has been garbage against 2s, 3s, and players that will be on the couch with the rest of us soon. He had one good throw, the TD to Morris. Everything else was an overthrow or off target.

Beane needs to go shopping for a competent backup. Too bad Fitz isn't willing to play a year on the bench.

I'm sure Fitz would sign with the Bills if they asked

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3

• Simon changed the title to Beane concerned with Kyle Allen?
1 hour ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

Announcer said that on the game broadcast

I find that very hard to believe they don’t really dive into the negativity of players on these things

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

We have to immediately find an upgrade over Allen & Barkley.  I'll trade a 6th for Keenum at this point. Obviously we're all hoping nothing happens to Josh but if he went down early we're screwed. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Why would Beane say that to a Bears announcer?

Beane has been on Miller's SiriusXM radio show every year since he's been a GM. It seems they have a good relationship and not inconceivable that they speak off the record.

Beane's rumored persuit of Lance lends credence. 

Of course, the clear evidence is how poorly the backups have played, especially in terms of protecting the football.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, QCity said:

Beane has been on Miller's SiriusXM radio show every year since he's been a GM. It seems they have a good relationship and not inconceivable that they speak off the record.

Beane's rumored persuit of Lance lends credence. 

Of course, the clear evidence is how poorly the backups have played, especially in terms of protecting the football.

That's not what off the record means

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, pennstate10 said:

Uh…

Im not sure if you read the initial post. 

That’s exactly what off the record means. 

No

If you tell a reporter something off the record it's not going to be repeated to a coworker, and definitely not in a professional setting w recording equipment rolling

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

No

If you tell a reporter something off the record it's not going to be repeated to a coworker, and definitely not in a professional setting w recording equipment rolling

You'd be surprised what reporters find out that they never actually report, and equally surprised how careless many people are around microphones. I didn't hear the slip-up myself but it's not totally unbelievable that this happened. I believe Beane has a good relationship with Jim Miller actually, he goes on his radio show a fair amount. GMs will divulge a lot of things in casual conversations off the air, especially inconsequential things like this.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

No

People make mistakes. If Beane said that, it was off the record. I don’t know how to make this any simpler. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, pennstate10 said:

People make mistakes. If Beane said that, it was off the record. I don’t know how to make this any simpler. 

You could start by using that phrase correctly.

If Beane said that quote off the record unquote then the guy wouldn't have repeated it

2 hours ago, MarkKelso'sHelmet said:

)

Are you sure he was talking about Kyle Allen?

I keed, I keed

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

No

Yea they don't just shut down leaks in their front office and then be tossing info out to media people no matter how well they know them. They don't need to know certain things.

On the Bills broadcast it seemed Beane was making excuses for Kyle Allen mentioning how long it took Keenum to feel comfortable in the offensive system.  I took it as a message to fans that he's our backup unless someone becomes available that is an obvious upgrade.  My guess is nothing happens trade wise and Kyle Allen is your #2 going into the year.  They may bring in a practice squad developmental QB to learn the offense while Barkley is on IR.

3 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I'm sure Fitz would sign with the Bills if they asked

I doubt it.  He's got a sweet gig with Amazon where he doesn't have to get hit on a weekly basis.  Plus, he's so old he played with Bart Starr his rookie year.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Why would Beane say that to a Bears announcer?

Even for pre-season games the announcers get sit downs with some key people in advance. Maybe they spoke to Beane. I doubt he expressed it quite in those terms as Miller put it but I can imagine Beane saying "Kyle has had some struggles from the start of camp" (which fits everything those who were there have said) and then something along the lines of "this game will be another chance for him to show us he has what it takes" which Miller then translates to "Beane thinks he doesn't have what it takes". 

I suspect that would be how it went down. If indeed the OP is right. I did not hear it on the DAZN broadcast but then I did not sit through half time I was loading the dishwasher and watering the garden 😄

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

I mean whether he said it or not them being in on Lance kinda proves the point, right? 

I expect someone else to be on the Bills roster by the end of the week as a backup QB. Kyle Allen on the PS but possibly with him elevated week 1 to serve as the backup giving the new guy 2 full weeks to learn the offense.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Whether or not what Miller said can be corroborated from being from Beane, Kyle Allen is not good and Beane and the Bills staff I’m sure are looking at other options.    There are options and better ones than Kyle Allen.  The guy is a turnover machine and lacks both poise and presence.

1 hour ago, loedward22 said:

I can verify what the original poster said.  I watched the same feed and heard it too. It was during commercial break and you could tell it was an accidental live mic. 

Thank you for confirming what I heard.

It was definitely a hot mic moment, before halftime. I think it was after Kyle Allen's first INT.

4 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

I have serious doubts about the credibility of this. You didn't hear BEANE saying it?  You claim one  of the announcers shared that Beane told him this? I don't believe  Beane is that

reckless and stupid.

There’s a pretty simple solution.  Call into Movin the Chains between 3-7pm on Sirius.  Mills is opposite pat kirwan and anyone can ask him directly.  See how he responds.

• Like (+1) 1

Guy thought he was gonna stroll in here as Josh’s friend and coast to a cozy career backup job. This is why you don’t consult players, even the elite, on personnel decisions. Josh Allen is making a quarter of a billion dollars to play quarterback, not GM. 

Edited by Johnnyp566
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.