Rick Jeanneret passes away at 81

Process

1 hour ago, Bubba Gump said:

RJ, the only play by play guy that could yell "HE SCOOOOORES" while his voice changed octaves 4 different times.ย  He was truly one of a kind.

ย 

Rob Ray must be crushed. They spent a ton of time on the road together. Always busting each other's balls. Such a sad day.

was he with Rob ray the longest?ย 

11 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

was he with Rob ray the longest?ย 

Iโ€™m thinking that might be Jim Lorentz. He did color commentary on Sabres broadcasts for 27 years, most of which was spent with RJ.ย 

• Like (+1) 3

The voice of my youth. I remember being in a car with my dad, specifically around the Silver Creek exit on the Thruway if I remember correctly, and it was RJ interspersed with news about the first World Trade Center bombing back in 1993. Truly stuck with me forever. Also enjoyed listening to many games in an unfinished basement and then following it up with hours of NHL 1994. Total legend.

4 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

RJ and Jim Lorentz were the absolute best together...nobody did it better.ย ย 

ย 

That was the perfect combo.ย  A lot of people kind of hated on Lorentz at the time... he was kind of a dull captain obvious.ย 

ย 

But once he left, the Sabres couldn't ever replace that chemistry.ย  Even with hall of fame Harry Neale, it was kind of a disaster.ย  They couldn't have 2 goofballs. They needed the straight man to go with RJ.ย  Kind of like the Don cherry/Ron Maclean chemistry.ย  RJ and Lorentz just fit perfectly.

ย 

ย 

ย 

Anyways, this is a day I have dreaded to some degree for about 30 years.ย  In high school, I'm pretty sure I listened to more rj calls captured on cassette tape than any music album or track.ย ย 

He is every sabres fans' surrogate grandpa. It's a tough day.

ย 

I also regret (although it isn't my fault), that other than 2 seasons, the Sabres were so dismal on the back 40% of his career.ย ย 

ย 

• Like (+1) 4

I posted this in 'The Aud Club' boards over on 'SabreSpace'. I'm just going to copy and paste it here, as well:

ย 

I grew up with all of the Buffalo teams as a little kid (the Bills...and the Sabres & Braves from their inception), mostly listening on the radio because every game in the world was not yet being televised back in that era. My little brother and I would lie in bed listening to RJ calling the Sabres games and Van Miller calling the Braves games, often times as we hid under the covers trying to keep as quiet as possible and contain our excitement to avoid detection by Mom & Dad. My parents are both gone now, too, and with RJ's passing I get another sobering reminder of how pieces of my youth continue to fade away into the ether. When I heard the news last night, my heart sank even though I knew he had not been in great health. When I told my 21 year old Sabre fan son, he was sad, as well. He has known RJ's voice his entire time following the Sabresย  and it's remarkable that RJ affected and crossed so many generations and was beloved by all. He will truly be missed and I am happy to have had him as a small piece of my world as a boy growing up in WNY and into adulthood with my own kids. Rest in peace, Rick.ย YOUย were top shelf. Thanks for so many awesome memories.

ย 

FYI...WGR is dedicating most of the morning show to RJ, playing his calls as people phone in to pay tribute and share their memories. 'Special guests' will be joining the show to do the same. I'd imagine that will be the case all day, as it should be. It's cathartic. Whether you love the station or hate it, it's been a very good listen thus far. Peace.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

My favorite RJ call, one not talked about all that much. In Mogilny's 2nd season, the first game of the year. He skated around the defense from the blue line and had a mini breakaway. Much had been made about Mogilny's fear of flying.ย ย 

ย 

RJ's call: "Who says he's afraid to fly! He just left a vapor trail!"

ย 

Rest in peace to an absolute legend.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, rusty shackleford said:

Somewhere around my house I have the Jeanneret best calls CD the Sabres released back in 06 or 07. Used to fall asleep listening to that after a few beverages back in my 20s.

ย 

ย 

ย 

Was able to meet RJ at a Sabres road crew visit here in Raleigh last year. I mentioned to him my favorite underrated calls of his, both in the CD / video above, are Wowie Housley and YYYYYY-VON Lambert.ย ย 

ย 

Absolute legend.

ย 

RIP.

Edited by BillsFanNC
  • Like (+1) 1

From former Isles and Rangers announcer.

ย 

ย 

Howie Rose on X: "This is incredibly sad news for hockey fans all across the NHL. Rick Jeanneret was one of the most beloved local broadcasters in hockey. He was funny, warm and totally dedicated to the Sabres and the Buffalo community. A one of a kind, truly nice man. RIP. https://t.co/LApucpx1fQ" / X (twitter.com)

Growing up listening to Rick Jeanneret was staple of my childhood. I still remember being in the car with my dad coming back from hockey and listening to the May Day call, I remember being downtowns buffalo when Drury scored with seconds left and hearing Rick call the play by play. The Campbell hit, Rob Ray fights, Brier top shelf goal; the list goes on.ย 

I never liked listening to sports radio play by play unless it was Rick, he had a way with words to make you envision the atmosphere, the action on ice and the emotions like you are seeing it live yourself.ย 

Truly one of a kind talent and great person he was always happy to talk with fans.ย 

RIP Rick ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿฅ…

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Man we were so lucky to have Rick and Van for so long.ย  Both were absolute treasures.ย  RIP Rick, thank you for all the great memories and thank you for being a source of comfort during hard times.ย  True class act.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Simply the best.ย  His level of passion resonated with that of Buffalo sports fans.ย  When the Sabres were good he was great and when they weren't good for so many season recently his voice and calls were a reason to listen and watch.ย  If you grew up with his calls and looked forward to the game for the part he played in the event you can't help but feel like you've lost a member of the family or a close friend.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Draconator said:

My favorite RJ call, one not talked about all that much. In Mogilny's 2nd season, the first game of the year. He skated around the defense from the blue line and had a mini breakaway. Much had been made about Mogilny's fear of flying.ย ย 

ย 

RJ's call: "Who says he's afraid to fly! He just left a vapor trail!"

ย 

Rest in peace to an absolute legend.

ย 

They referenced this a couple of times this morning on WGR and played the call, as well.

ย 

34 minutes ago, Gregg said:

From former Isles and Rangers announcer.

ย 

ย 

Howie Rose on X: "This is incredibly sad news for hockey fans all across the NHL. Rick Jeanneret was one of the most beloved local broadcasters in hockey. He was funny, warm and totally dedicated to the Sabres and the Buffalo community. A one of a kind, truly nice man. RIP. https://t.co/LApucpx1fQ" / X (twitter.com)

ย 

Howie Rose is a class act and a great radio play-by-play man in his own right for the NY Mets.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.