Trade Candidates?

TFBillsfan

Just now, Augie said:

Add more chips to the pile to use as trade capital. Beane LOVES that stuff! But it does look funny when you have a ton of them. I was happy to carry some picks forward. That’s always a nice feeling. 

Oh I agree but four 6ths is quite a lot especially when we don't have many roster holes to begin with. 

2 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

if you pay attention around the league you will see that every teams media and fanbase thinks they have 9 or 10 great wr and would be sure to be able to trade a few of them.  every year this discussion happens.

Every team is heavy at the same positions this time of year, wr,rb and secondary and everyone always thinks they can get back these big returns for these guys.  It never happens.

What every team wants this time of year is offensive lineman and pass rushers which are almost impossible to come by.  If you spend some time reading about other teams camps you will see right away everyone is looking for tackles.

Yup!

56 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Oh I agree but four 6ths is quite a lot especially when we don't have many roster holes to begin with. 

Yep, I don’t expect that they would actually use more than one (at most), with the rest being used to move around. It will be a tough roster for any late round pick to crack. 

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Seems like a silly suggestion given we don’t know when Von is coming back.

Though the bills might have an inclination and consider it if the news is good. 

I don’t think we see anything major though. Swinging a future cut for a 7 next year is fine but honestly is more a cure for boredom than true value acquisition. It’s bending over to pick up the discarded lotto ticket and check the numbers. No real work but might land a few bucks here and there. 

3 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

if you pay attention around the league you will see that every teams media and fanbase thinks they have 9 or 10 great wr and would be sure to be able to trade a few of them.  every year this discussion happens.

Every team is heavy at the same positions this time of year, wr,rb and secondary and everyone always thinks they can get back these big returns for these guys.  It never happens.

What every team wants this time of year is offensive lineman and pass rushers which are almost impossible to come by.  If you spend some time reading about other teams camps you will see right away everyone is looking for tackles.

having said all that I would call Dallas and see what the status of zach martin is.  He is holding out and the jones family bails on veteran players when they want more money.  They kicked out Demarcus Ware and said he couldnt play anymore which was 100% not true.  Maybe the Martin hold out could someway come to the same conclusion.  The guy is great and close to retirement but can play Right tackle or guard.

Its all about common vs rare body types in a lot of these discussions. 

a lot more humans exist that are quite athletic at 5’10-6’2 and 180-220 lbs than there are at 6’4 and 300 lbs. 

Once you get past the elite WR/CB/RB the drop off from mediocre nfl talent to being out of the league is pretty minimal so most teams value the time in their own system. Our 8th WR and the 8th elsewhere are generally pretty similar so unless you have an absolutely dire need for a specific skill set, you may as well roll with the guy that knows your play calls and quarterback already. 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

IDK, but if I'm a GM I'm not sure I'm willing to trade any player that's going to make a difference for another player, when in a few weeks teams are going to be waiving nearly 40% of their players, minus IR stocks etc., in the cut from 90 to 53.  

Were there a lot of trades last season before final cuts?  

No.  Last year there was only a dozen or so.  There never is a whole lot.  That's what has made Beane a bit of a legend for pulling some off.

I don't expect one, but you never know.  A Quess or Settle trade would probably garner interest from a few teams.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/2022/trade/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

No.  Last year there was only a dozen or so.  There never is a whole lot.  That's what has made Beane a bit of a legend for pulling some off.

I don't expect one, but you never know.  A Quess or Settle trade would probably garner interest from a few teams.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/transactions/2022/trade/

But presumably not for an impact player, simply more depth.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, BigBadBills said:

Boogie Basham 

I def understand the logic here, but (And I'm seriously asking - not being sarcastic at all), based on his performance to this point, would he even merit a 7th round pick?  Perhaps a trade for another player who was a high draft pick who has also significantly underperformed?

I don't think Beane is going to let any legit pass rush talent go.  The fringe guys won't bring much in terms of trade value.  There are several teams that are really short of o-line talent.  The Bills will be showcasing some of their reserve o-line talent in preseason games.  Since multiple teams need o-line help, they will be less inclined to take their chances on the waiver system.  These teams will be willing to make trades.  Knowing that the 2024 draft is loaded with talent, Beane will likely be looking to add draft picks so he can maneuver and load up on rookie talent.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

The more I think about it, It would be nice if maybe we could corner the market in the 6th round! If you got a guy you want in the 6th, you’ve got to come thru Buffalo! 

We tried something like that with guys named “Williams” and that was kinda fun.    😋

• Haha (+1) 2

Boogie Basham and Tim Settle are relatively quality NFL-caliber rotational D-linemen that might be displaced on the roster but may draw interest from a team looking to give up a mid to late-round pick for them. At CB the room is also crowded but I think the coaching staff likes depth there so I don't think we will see a Dane Jackson trade or anything like that. On the offensive side of the ball, I don't see anywhere the team has quality players to spare so to speak. 

The bubble O-line players I don't think will draw trade interest (Snell, Doyle, and Ike) but then again Cody Ford fetched a pick so maybe there's an outside chance a team wants someone on the bubble of the Bills O-line. But I don't see anything going on elsewhere for trades via WR/TE/RB and QB. 

TLDR likely a D-linemen gets traded and a small chance an O-line player gets traded, outside shot on the CB market too. No where else is there really an overflow of quality depth. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Herb Nightly said:

Elam is a first round pick in just the 2nd year of his rookie deal, adjusting to zone defense. Bills might adjust the scheme to fit and you  end CB depth. He isn't going anywhere.

The Bills need another RIGHT GUARD? A highly paid 33 year old right guard? If Beane could raise that kind of money, he would be better off investing in a right TACKLE.

Martin can play right tackle.  I imagine he would be a pro bowler / all pro guy doing it too.  He was a tackle in college and played a little right tackle in Dallas.

He would be the bills best lineman wherever they played him.  Zero Chance Dallas would ever trade him though...

9 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

The team would be highly foolish to trade any of their roster-locked CB/DE/WR depth like AJE, Dane Jackson, or one of the WRs. The guys who aren’t roster locks, being Shane Ray, Jordan Phillips, Cam Lewis, ext, don’t have much trade value. I’d rather the team try to hide some of them on the PS than trade them for a conditional 6th. 

By play last year (when healthy) and by depth chart, Jordan Phillips seems pretty much like a roster lock.

38 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

on 8/29, there will instantly be over 1000 FA's.  Won't be a lot of big trades now I bet.

Bean has historically been pretty good about trading players just before roster cutdowns.

The idea is if the player is traded, they gotta go there (or not play).  Once they hit FA, they can pick their spot.

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

By play last year (when healthy) and by depth chart, Jordan Phillips seems pretty much like a roster lock.

Bean has historically been pretty good about trading players just before roster cutdowns.

The idea is if the player is traded, they gotta go there (or not play).  Once they hit FA, they can pick their spot.

this year is different though.  

8 hours ago, Heavy Kevi said:

I think they feel good about the LB room. I don't know what to make of it but I would be surprised at this point to see beane address it.

Might they feel less good about LB, if Bernard's hammy is gonna keep him out a bit?

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

this year is different though.  

Because?

Edited by Beck Water

Just now, Beck Water said:

Might they feel less good about LB, if Bernard's hammy is gonna keep him out a bit?

Because?

There's 1 cutdown day--- after end of preseason.  Teams are going to be less eager to trade for a Boogie Basham, Epanesa or other fringe vets before they a few preseason games.  Teams can't tease their rosters via multiple cut down days as in the past.

• Like (+1) 1

Truly i hate to get rid of players that could develop into really good players but that's what happens when you get to where the Bills are you can't keep them all & sometimes when you do like trading Wyatt Teller you make a huge mistake .

But who ever they do choose could turn into anther real good player for a team I just hope who they decide to keep will be on the better side of the decision for the Bills this time . 

5 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Basham or Epenesa. One of them should go. Might fetch a 5th. 

Then maybe Boettger for a 7th

Epenesa's clearly the more dependable player between he and Basham. He's also on the last year of his contract, so the return wouldn't be worth it. He's not going anywhere this season.

Basham could be a "change of scenery" type move that could be potentially interesting to another team and he has multiple years on his deal. He'll also be on the outside looking in when Von returns anyways, as we wouldn't keep 6 DE's. Between Von, Floyd, Rousseau, Epenesa, Lawson, and Basham - one's going to go and it's probably going to be him.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, Augie said:

The more I think about it, It would be nice if maybe we could corner the market in the 6th round! If you got a guy you want in the 6th, you’ve got to come thru Buffalo! 

We tried something like that with guys named “Williams” and that was kinda fun.    😋

IIRC, The Ravens wheeled and dealt their way into four or five 6th rounders, last year. Do we want to shoot to be 2024's Ravens, LOL?

23 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

With the Bills having a deep roster, who do you think are potential trade candidates before final roster cuts? Curious to know who might be a trade option and who we might target in return. IMO, all eyes will be on the LB position in the first two preseason games. Does the current LB competition look solid or will it be obvious we have a big drop off/liability at the position outside of Milano. Do the Bills keep all their DE depth? Would you trade a CB? Any surprise trade candidates?

My opinion is the roster is too deep at certain positions to not expect a trade.

What says you BillsMafia?

Depends on who is available from the other side. If a WR or RT is available, I wouldnt mind trading a Epenesa, Phillips. If by some miracle a Jeudy type WR is available, make even Elam available. 

If its just to cash in on intense depth, then a good draft pick would be better

On 8/10/2023 at 9:27 AM, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Doyle, Quessenberry, Mancz, Basham, Settle, Phillips, Klein. Was thinking Benford, but I think they like him and might try him at safety. Would anyone give up a pick for Cam Lewis?

Hate to say it but Phillips might be almost done. I think there's a good chance he ends up on IR or gets cut.

12 hours ago, T master said:

Truly i hate to get rid of players that could develop into really good players but that's what happens when you get to where the Bills are you can't keep them all & sometimes when you do like trading Wyatt Teller you make a huge mistake .

But who ever they do choose could turn into anther real good player for a team I just hope who they decide to keep will be on the better side of the decision for the Bills this time . 

It's definitely a risk, however sometimes you trade an Eli Harold and wind up with Ryan Bates. Or trade a Kelvin Sheppard and come away with a Jerry Hughes.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.