Nathaniel Hacket - Payton's comments..

Spiderweb

I think Hackett is what he is, and it’s nothing more than ordinary. The EXTRAORDINARY was the comments from Payton. What an idiotic thing to do!  

I thought Payton had some genius, but he’s made me question him more now. 

Nothing Payton said about Hackett was wrong. Was it in poor taste to air it publicly like that? Absolutely, but it isn't like he made the stuff up, everyone could see the Broncos were the pinnacle of dysfunction in 2022.

I imagine it came from a place of frustration after seeing just how bad things were at Mile High when Payton arrived. I'd be surprised if Hackett is employed by an NFL team once Rodgers retires.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, 947 said:

Nothing Payton said about Hackett was wrong. Was it in poor taste to air it publicly like that? Absolutely, but it isn't like he made the stuff up, everyone could see the Broncos were the pinnacle of dysfunction in 2022.

I imagine it came from a place of frustration after seeing just how bad things were at Mile High when Payton arrived. I'd be surprised if Hackett is employed by an NFL team once Rodgers retires.

Payton did nothing but put pressure on himself. He was to a large degree trying to protect his QB, but it was certainly not well thought out. Plus, if it was REALLY THAT BAD, we must have a good enough roster to WIN WAY MORE GAMES!  Go ahead, exceed expectations now.

It felt a little like Rex trying to win the offseason, and I don’t find that to be a good feeling. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Blank Stare said:

Yes, would still be true today. He was a terrible OC. He was a terrible HC. Without Rodgers, he’s nothing. If Rodgers is washed (which I’m not sure he is), look out. 

Considered Bust blake bortles had his best career years with Hackett as his QB coach and OC

Went to a pro bowl and threw for over 4000 yards and 35 tds

Bills fans would've went nuts for that before Allen emerged 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I thought it was a terrible hire for the Broncos and was not surprised by how terrible he did. I think he is not qualified to be an offensive coordinator either, but I think it is less x's and o's and more his temperament and leadership ability, or lack thereof. But Rodgers likes him, so he has that going for him.

Edited by MJS
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, wppete said:

When Hacket was here the offense was basically this.

1st Down - Run

2nd Down - Run

3rd Down - Pass

4th Down - Punt

it was bad. No creativity or aggressiveness. Very predictable. 

I think the average Bills fans would have appreciated the occasional punt on third down, just to break up the monotony. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Considered Bust blake bortles had his best career years with Hackett as his QB coach and OC

Went to a pro bowl and threw for over 4000 yards and 35 tds

Bills fans would've went nuts for that before Allen emerged 

Exactly.  The cognitive dissonance around here regarding Hackett and Rodgers is off the charts.  “Hackett was a terrible OC, and he could really be screwed because Rodgers may be falling off a cliff based off the season he had last year…without Hackett who was his OC when he won back to back MVPs right before Hackett left.”

2 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

During Hacket's time as the Bills OC, many posters here felt that he was a pitiful OC .. l

Would this still be true today or has our animosity for him waned?

When Hackett was in Buffalo, the general feeling was he was a dingleberry to Doug Marrone - that Marrone was the OC in fact while he was the OC in name.  If I remember correctly one rumor was that he had a bunch of creative plays drawn up that he wanted to run and Marrone put the kibbosh on it.

1 hour ago, wppete said:

1st Down - Run

2nd Down - Run

3rd Down - Pass

4th Down - Punt

But was that Hackett, or was that "St Doug" Marrone?

Rumor was, with the Bills, Marrone was quite the control freak with his fingers over every aspect.  PR, OC, OL....

• Agree 2

Hackett probably has his finer points and is an asset. I'm sure some will joke about his coffee making skills but I would think to last this long in the NFL he's gotta bring something to the table.

We know it's not play design or game flow. Maybe he's really good at breaking down film or working with the mechanics of certain position groups. But he does seem to land in places that have some success. 

That said my view of him is he's likely the kind of coach that does well with limited duties and is a decent OC under an offensive minded coach that handles the playcalls. He's not going to be getting the same guidance and help from Saleh on that side of the ball that he had im Green Bay. 

• Agree 1

37 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Hackett probably has his finer points and is an asset. I'm sure some will joke about his coffee making skills but I would think to last this long in the NFL he's gotta bring something to the table.

We know it's not play design or game flow. Maybe he's really good at breaking down film or working with the mechanics of certain position groups. But he does seem to land in places that have some success. 

That said my view of him is he's likely the kind of coach that does well with limited duties and is a decent OC under an offensive minded coach that handles the playcalls. He's not going to be getting the same guidance and help from Saleh on that side of the ball that he had im Green Bay. 

he still has Rodgers who will treat him like a kid brother and do whatever he wants with the offense 

you have to believe Rodgers just wants a guy that can let him freelance while kind of steering the guys around him back into line a little. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

he still has Rodgers who will treat him like a kid brother and do whatever he wants with the offense 

you have to believe Rodgers just wants a guy that can let him freelance while kind of steering the guys around him back into line a little. 

Nailed it.  Jets offense isn't Hackett's offensive playbook/calling.  It's Rodgers's.  Hackett took that same playbook to Denver and made Russ look awful (granted Russ did that on his own off the field as well so I'm not surprised that nothing worked there). 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think Hackett is a clown show.  The only positives he had on his resume was his father and his HIGH ENERGY :w00t:  Then Rodgers takes a liking to him as an OC that doesn't even call plays.  I think the reason Rodgers likes him is because he can manipulate him like play-doh and then be the real person in charge of the offense

3 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

During Hacket's time as the Bills OC, many posters here felt that he was a pitiful OC .. l

His comments were funny he was like “yeah I did a ***** job last season, but a fellow coach isn’t supposed to say that out loud!”

Hackett does seem like the good guy that everyone says he is.  As an OC…I think he’s ok

2 hours ago, wppete said:

1st Down - Run

2nd Down - Run

3rd Down - Pass

4th Down - Punt

Remember he was super young when here and he was Marrone’s puppet.  And Marrone would have been the worst thing to happen to Buffalo sports in 35 years if Tim Murray didn’t exist.

Still, he has always been overemployed……probably based on name recognition.

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 947 said:

How Hackett ever got a HC job in the first place is beyond rational intelligence.  And frankly if he didn't allow Aaron to call his own plays in GB, he'd be coaching juco somewhere.  To this day I still consider him one of the worst OC's in Bills history. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

How Hackett ever got a HC job in the first place is beyond rational intelligence.  And frankly if he didn't allow Aaron to call his own plays in GB, he'd be coaching juco somewhere.  To this day I still consider him one of the worst OC's in Bills history. 

Again he helped take the jaguars to the playoffs 

Double duty OC and QB coach with Blake bortles where he threw for over 4000 yards and 35 TDs... In the NFL ... Not college lol

That is better than our offensive coordinators resume

Yeah marone left us after a winning season..  and now everybody is sour on his tenure

Was Hackett perfect? No..  he got to work with a scrub EJ manual

And we were competent with the ghost of Kyle Orton

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Again he helped take the jaguars to the playoffs 

Double duty OC and QB coach with Blake bortles where he threw for over 4000 yards and 35 TDs... In the NFL ... Not college lol

That is better than our offensive coordinators resume

Yeah marone left us after a winning season..  and now everybody is sour on his tenure

Was Hackett perfect? No..  he got to work with a scrub EJ manual

And we were competent with the ghost of Kyle Orton

Stop.

• Thank you (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Stop.

Sorry the talk of him here acts like he should be a high school coach or division 3 coach

The dude since he was 20 something years old has been super highly regarded by most in the game of football

And as accomplished more in the game than every single person here

The same way people trashed David culley here.. who also became a head coach

And I've spent time around both of them in the last 15 years and they know more about the game of football than every person here

People trash them like he's their kids pop warner coach

He coached Blake bortles to what would have been Buffalo bills records.. he's not a ***** bum .. which is why he keeps getting job

At worst he has a much better resume than our own quarterback coach and OC and is a better quarterback coach than both

I certainly think Hackett would do as good as Dorsey if not better as the offensive coordinator

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Perfect scenario for Ass Rogers. Hackett to blame when it’s bad and Rogers just ignores him if it’s good. Win win for Rogers 

give Payton credit for actually saying something substantive. Take that, HOODIE!

Edited by Since1981

49 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I'm not going to defend Hackett, but the offenses of the Turk Schonert/Alex Van Pelt seasons were unwatchable? 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

I'm not sure that being judged while being handed EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton is fair.  Where would McD be had he been handed those two stiffs, who are arguably the two worst QBs we've had here in decades, neither one of which started more than one season for us.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

When Hackett was in Buffalo, the general feeling was he was a dingleberry to Doug Marrone - that Marrone was the OC in fact while he was the OC in name.  If I remember correctly one rumor was that he had a bunch of creative plays drawn up that he wanted to run and Marrone put the kibbosh on it.

But was that Hackett, or was that "St Doug" Marrone?

Rumor was, with the Bills, Marrone was quite the control freak with his fingers over every aspect.  PR, OC, OL....

And that changed in Jacksonville?

Hackett may have some good ideas but he’s no “genius.” He was a colossal flop in Denver. We will see what Rodgers has left this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

And that changed in Jacksonville?

Hackett may have some good ideas but he’s no “genius.” He was a colossal flop in Denver. We will see what Rodgers has left this year. 

Yes it did change in Jacksonville because he took a guy who's not in the NFL and helped him throw 35 touchdowns which would have been a record in Buffalo

He's had success in the NFL and success with Aaron Rodgers.. 

He has wayyy more clout and respect in the NFL than Dorsey who got fired as QB coach of Carolina...

Hackett earned promotions as QB coach of the jaguars ... Became OC and QB coach with Blake bortles 

Got a job working with Rodgers as OC.   Excelled again ..   then a HC where he failed with a QB who gave up

He has successful stops at Jacksonville and GB as a OC and QB coach ... That's more than Dorsey who was fired and outta football after Carolina and Dorsey needs allen

Edited by Buffalo716

9 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

He's a walking example of why the Rooney Rule is needed in some form to break out of the cycle of nepotism and cronyism in football.  He falls into job after job after job and has somehow failed upward while doing it.

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yes it did change in Jacksonville because he took a guy who's not in the NFL and helped him throw 35 touchdowns which would have been a record in Buffalo

He's had success in the NFL and success with Aaron Rodgers.. 

He has wayyy more clout and respect in the NFL than Dorsey who got fired as QB coach of Carolina...

Hackett earned promotions as QB coach of the jaguars ... Became OC and QB coach with Blake bortles 

Got a job working with Rodgers as OC.   Excelled again ..   then a HC where he failed with a QB who gave up

He has successful stops at Jacksonville and GB as a OC and QB coach ... That's more than Dorsey who was fired and outta football after Carolina and Dorsey needs allen

That Dorsey sucks doesn't make Hackett good.

44 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

He's a walking example of why the Rooney Rule is needed in some form to break out of the cycle of nepotism and cronyism in football.  He falls into job after job after job and has somehow failed upward while doing it.

That Dorsey sucks doesn't make Hackett good.

I don't think Dorsey sucks 

I'm saying Hackett is more proven... And Dorsey has an already made Superstar on his resume

And I don't think either are hacks especially as coordinators or QB coaches 

5 hours ago, PBF81 said:

I'm not sure that being judged while being handed EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton is fair.  Where would McD be had he been handed those two stiffs, who are arguably the two worst QBs we've had here in decades, neither one of which started more than one season for us.  

Orton was NOT one of the worst two QBs we have had in decades. That is a crazy take. 2013 where they had EJ Manuel, Thad Lewis and Jeff Tuel that might be legit the worst QB room of any team in my 20 plus years watching the NFL. But Orton in 2014 was a serviceable NFL starter. Not a superstar, by any means, but a serviceable starter. And to be fair with zero run game to speak of Hackett managed to get production out of that offense. Behind Fitz, Tyrod and half a season of Bledsoe he was the 4th best of the drought era.

My main issue with Hackett when he was here was his total unwillingness to pass on first down. 

Edited by GunnerBill

9 hours ago, Billl said:

Exactly.  The cognitive dissonance around here regarding Hackett and Rodgers is off the charts.  “Hackett was a terrible OC, and he could really be screwed because Rodgers may be falling off a cliff based off the season he had last year…without Hackett who was his OC when he won back to back MVPs right before Hackett left.”

True, but LaFleur called the plays the whole time in Green Bay so it's hard to know who was more responsible for Aaron playing at an MVP level.  Was Rodgers's decline last year due to age, coaching (no Nate Hackett), or not having Davante Adams to throw too?  How will Rodgers do with Hackett calling plays for him for the first time?  How quickly can the Jets acclimate to Hackett's offensive scheme?  Hackett to me was an average NFL offensive coordinator at best before going to Green Bay.

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

True, but LaFleur called the plays the whole time in Green Bay so it's hard to know who was more responsible for Aaron playing at an MVP level.  Was Rodgers's decline last year due to age, coaching (no Nate Hackett), or not having Davante Adams to throw too?  How will Rodgers do with Hackett calling plays for him for the first time?  How quickly can the Jets acclimate to Hackett's offensive scheme?  Hackett to me was an average NFL offensive coordinator at best before going to Green Bay.

And probably a bit of all 3.... plus Rodgers's general level of interest which was low to middling last season. That is my biggest thing on the whole Jets hype train. Their schedule is a tough start with an easier home stretch. If they are 2-5 or something Aaron Rodgers isn't gonna be a Tom Brady that goes around that locker room and fires guys up to get better. He will sit in a corner, sulk, and become disengaged. Because that is who he is. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.