Pats give DeVante Parker a Big Extension

Coach Tuesday

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/devante-parker-agrees-to-three-year-deal-with-patriots

“Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that he has agreed to terms on a new three-year deal with New England. Parker is set to make up to $33 million with with $14 million in guarantees and per-game roster bonuses.”

uh… what?!?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

No idea why they would invest a moderately sizable contract into a 30 year old WR who has had back to back down seasons. Parker only had one good season (2019) and a couple of other decent seasons (2020 and 2016) so it isn't like there was a big peak for him to return to. Also apparently this doesn't impact the Pats cap-wise much at all, so I don't know if this at all related to Dhop or not. Either way Pats throwing money at a WR who is unlikely to meet the expectations is a good thing. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/devante-parker-deal-means-patriots-233503508.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/devante-parker-agrees-to-three-year-deal-with-patriots

“Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that he has agreed to terms on a new three-year deal with New England. Parker is set to make up to $33 million with with $14 million in guarantees and per-game roster bonuses.”

uh… what?!?  

Doesn't seem all that "big" of an extension, sadly

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

uh… what?!?  

That's the market for guys like Gabe and MVS.   Big boundary WR who you hope will be your WR3 if all goes right.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I had Parker on my fantasy bench, usually watch red zone when the Bills aren't playing,  so I noticed him more . Anyway,  the few times I seen him play he was pretty impressive.  11 per for a WR is still almost half what the elite guys get. Not a bad contract imo. Still think he has untapped potential 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I had Parker on my fantasy bench, usually watch red zone when the Bills aren't playing,  so I noticed him more . Anyway,  the few times I seen him play he was pretty impressive.  11 per for a WR is still almost half what the elite guys get. Not a bad contract imo. Still think he has untapped potential 

Untapped potential? He is 30. This is his 9th season. He does not have any untapped potential. He is who he is: a decent WR.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, MJS said:

Untapped potential? He is 30. This is his 9th season. He does not have any untapped potential. He is who he is: a decent WR.

yeah his ceiling is pretty apparent by now. Definitely had one very good season in Miami but that’s about it. 

That said, the way the contract is reported does make it seem a lot worse than it actually is. It’s New England, Mac Jones. Doesn’t really matter that much either way.

33 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

For me it’s a big so what.  He’s a middle of the road WR who’s already peaked.  It really doesn’t matter as he has an avg QB.

The Cheats will still end up 4th in the AFCE.

I’m still not sold on the Jets, even with Rodgers.  I’m not sure Saleh can coach his way out of a paper bag.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

It wouldn't really surprise me if you are correct but imo the Jets will finish last. It is hard for me to picture Rogers having a complete season. If he can stay healthy, I think that he will make another 50 million dollars next year, so it is hard for me to picture him taking so many risks, especially given his age. He might want to sit out some games.

What Rogers will certainly do is stir fan interest for the Jets and the NFL, at least for a while. 

Also, if he does a tab of acid before games, it might throw his timing and vision off just a bit. ;) 

• Haha (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, eball said:

I’m still not sold on the Jets, even with Rodgers.  I’m not sure Saleh can coach his way out of a paper bag.

I think as a defensive coach he's pretty solid. Head coach wise I think he falls into the Rex Ryan category. Boisterous blowhard that loves the headlines. I do like his shiny head though. Much better to look at than McDermott's dull dome.

As far as coaches that may hold the Jets back...we can add ol Nate Hackett to that list. His playcalling makes Dorsey look like Andy Reid.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's the market for guys like Gabe and MVS.   Big boundary WR who you hope will be your WR3 if all goes right.

That’s the market for guys like that in their 20s.  Parker has already lost a step.  No one was competing for his services and there was talk he’d get released.  This is a strange signing.

• Agree 1

Simply going off of memory and games played it appears Parker has a lot of injuries and is hardly reliable. Don't love signing a 30 year old receiver to that kind of extension. Didn't know he's also nearly a year older than Diggs. If the Bills give Gabe a similar extension to be our #3 targeted pass catcher at least he will only be 25 going into the 2024 season. 

6 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

yeah his ceiling is pretty apparent by now. Definitely had one very good season in Miami but that’s about it. 

That said, the way the contract is reported does make it seem a lot worse than it actually is. It’s New England, Mac Jones. Doesn’t really matter that much either way.

Yup. $14M in guarantees is nothing. He was already set to make $6.3M this season so it’s effectively guaranteeing next season. And it’s probably back loaded. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Simply going off of memory and games played it appears Parker has a lot of injuries and is hardly reliable. Don't love signing a 30 year old receiver to that kind of extension. Didn't know he's also nearly a year older than Diggs. If the Bills give Gabe a similar extension to be our #3 targeted pass catcher at least he will only be 25 going into the 2024 season. 

Perhaps the Pats think he doesn't have as much wear and tear since he has been hurt so much and hasn't played the amount others would have...

To me, it makes no sense either...usually if a player is always hurt it gets worse after age 30, not better...

From my recollection it's a lot of soft tissue stuff like hamstrings...

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

For me it’s a big so what.  He’s a middle of the road WR who’s already peaked.  It really doesn’t matter as he has an avg QB.

Just curious.  And while I agree they seem destined for fourth place, what did you predict their record would be during MacJones rookie year? Most on here thought they would be terrible and yet BB got that team to the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

It wouldn't really surprise me if you are correct but imo the Jets will finish last. It is hard for me to picture Rogers having a complete season.

The guy won two of the last 3 MVPs.  In the past 3 years he's thrown 121 TDs and 21 INTs.  You really don't think he's capable?  They had 10 games last season without a single TD pass yet were still only outscored by 20 points on the season.  Anything resembling competency at QB would have put them in the playoffs.

• Agree 1

That’s the market for guys like that in their 20s.  Parker has already lost a step.  No one was competing for his services and there was talk he’d get released.  This is a strange signing.

I am guessing the guarantee is the signing bonus he got which would actually lower his cap hit this year. I could be wrong but that’s my guess.

3 hours ago, eball said:

I wouldn't be shocked by this. The division is pretty good top to bottom and the Jets lost their last 6 games last year. Of course they will be better with Rodgers, but Hackett is the wildcard here. He was laughably bad as a HC and apparently his plan is to let Rodgers do everything

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/nathaniel-hackett-jets-will-give-aaron-rodgers-freedom-to-run-the-offense

Edited by Captain Hindsight

39 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Just curious.  And while I agree they seem destined for fourth place, what did you predict their record would be during MacJones rookie year? Most on here thought they would be terrible and yet BB got that team to the playoffs. 

Ethan, I had more questions than expectations of the Cheats his rookie year.  I’m not quick to make assertions when someone hasn’t touched an NFL game.  It’s the same as DK and Torrence I think will make an impact, but we really don’t know at this time.  It’s more of hope.

I don’t think Mac is a bad QB, but his development was stifled by the OC debacle last year.  We’ll see what OBrien can do with that offense.

• Like (+1) 3

Never heard of him…, 

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Never count out the Jets. They pulled it off last year. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

No idea why they would invest a moderately sizable contract into a 30 year old WR who has had back to back down seasons. Parker only had one good season (2019) and a couple of other decent seasons (2020 and 2016) so it isn't like there was a big peak for him to return to. Also apparently this doesn't impact the Pats cap-wise much at all, so I don't know if this at all related to Dhop or not. Either way Pats throwing money at a WR who is unlikely to meet the expectations is a good thing. 

https://sports.yahoo.com/devante-parker-deal-means-patriots-233503508.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Because he is actually a solid player.  His down season are not related to his talent, it had more to do with the situation he was in.  And given the price of WR's these days, his deal is reasonable.  

To be honest, if Pats land Hopkins still (and most the talk still seems to lend towards them being the more likely spot), they could have a sneaky good offense this year if Mac Jones can just be solid or better now that he has a real OC again with O'Brien.

Pats are one of those teams no one is thinking too much about right now, but if they land Hopkins, they could be one of those sleeper teams that end up being a tougher opponent than people think this year.  Not a real contender per se, just not the roll over opponent I think people assume they will be.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Because he is actually a solid player.  His down season are not related to his talent, it had more to do with the situation he was in.  And given the price of WR's these days, his deal is reasonable.  

To be honest, if Pats land Hopkins still (and most the talk still seems to lend towards them being the more likely spot), they could have a sneaky good offense this year if Mac Jones can just be solid or better now that he has a real OC again with O'Brien.

Pats are one of those teams no one is thinking too much about right now, but they could be one of those sleeper teams that end up being a tougher opponent than people think this year.  

I am a Pats fan and I agree obviously.  My reasoning is 2 fold, the O was beyond bad, I say worst in the league bad just by the eye test, and the D had no true top corner (they may now) and we’re torn apart by good QBs and THAT team was 1 win away from the playoffs. (They don’t completely choke that Raider game away they play the Bills twice in a row.)  So I believe (hope) with a real OC and 2 TE capable of catching the ball as well as serviceable WR the O could be middle of the pack. The D with the infusion of young talent and BB being able focus his attention there should be even better. 

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I am a Pats fan and I agree obviously.  My reasoning is 2 fold, the O was beyond bad, I say worst in the league bad just by the eye test, and the D had no true top corner (they may now) and we’re torn apart by good QBs and THAT team was 1 win away from the playoffs. (They don’t completely choke that Raider game away they play the Bills twice in a row.)  So I believe (hope) with a real OC and 2 TE capable of catching the ball as well as serviceable WR the O could be middle of the pack. The D with the infusion of young talent and BB being able focus his attention there should be even better. 

With the defense and run game, they don't need a dynamic pass attack to be a tough opponent.  I don't think they are a contender or anything, but they can be a tough out this year, especially later in the season in poor weather where defense and rushing are of higher value.  

So if they land Hopkins and Mac Jones can just be solid, they won't be the easy win a lot of people expect every week.  

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Pats are one of those teams no one is thinking too much about right now, but if they land Hopkins, they could be one of those sleeper teams that end up being a tougher opponent than people think this year.  Not a real contender per se, just not the roll over opponent I think people assume they will be.

Pretty much how I view it. A competent offense will allow their defense to be more aggressive on the backend and more diverse overall. I’m not sure it’ll matter against the Bills, but it’ll matter against teams who aren’t top 10 on both sides of the ball. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I wouldn't be shocked by this. The division is pretty good top to bottom and the Jets lost their last 6 games last year. Of course they will be better with Rodgers, but Hackett is the wildcard here. He was laughably bad as a HC and apparently his plan is to let Rodgers do everything

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/nathaniel-hackett-jets-will-give-aaron-rodgers-freedom-to-run-the-offense

Yep.

The great Nathaniel Hackett is going to get steamrolled by Rodgers similar what happened to him in Denver with the Broncos "savior" Russell Wilson last year.  So far they have added the old  has been receiver Randall Cobb.  We will be able to see what kind of de-facto OC Rodgers can be.

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yeah he's 30 and MVS was 28 when he got his deal.........but he's also been better than MVS had been in his career and in the last few years.   Or Gabe for that matter.    When healthy.   That's the biggest key with him.    They all track as 600 yard per season type of average type guys........Parker just does it in less games because he misses more time injured and catches a lot more of the passes thrown to him.   The other two separate better on deep routes and get more yards per catch.     I don't think it's a good deal........nor is the MVS deal and nor will the Gabe deal for whoever signs him.   But that does appear to be the going rate.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah he's 30 and MVS was 28 when he got his deal.........but he's also been better than MVS had been in his career and in the last few years.   Or Gabe for that matter.    When healthy.   That's the biggest key with him.    They all track as 600 yard per season type of average type guys........Parker just does it in less games because he misses more time injured and catches a lot more of the passes thrown to him.   The other two separate better on deep routes and get more yards per catch.     I don't think it's a good deal........nor is the MVS deal and nor will the Gabe deal for whoever signs him.   But that does appear to be the going rate.

I think the biggest difference between MVS and Walker deals compared to what Davis will get is age.  Gabe is only 24 which like Coach Tuesday said, is around the market cost for his age so I think that would be a good deal knowing he still has at least 3-4 years of good football left (physically anyways, not getting into the actual performance on the field stuff).

14 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

when u have a limped arm qb throwing the rock, who needs separation lol need a WR who can either manhandle his way to the ball or play DB for the down

5 hours ago, Billl said:

The guy won two of the last 3 MVPs.  In the past 3 years he's thrown 121 TDs and 21 INTs.  You really don't think he's capable?  They had 10 games last season without a single TD pass yet were still only outscored by 20 points on the season.  Anything resembling competency at QB would have put them in the playoffs.

I don't dispute anything you said above. That said, older athletes can lose it all at once. Also, injuries are slower to heal as we age. Trust me on this. :) 

Rogers is great and is a HOF QB but his skills will deteriorate sooner than later.

Anyway, it's just a hunch.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.