Is this year make or break for McDermott?

CountDorkula

Is it Super Bowl or bust for McDermott this year?  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Is it SuperBowl or Bust for McD this year?

• Yes
    • No
    • It should be

I think the evidence is in him having to take over the Defense.

Yes his seat is warm.

Yes this is make or break for McD.

13 seconds is COMPLETELY on him. I dont care about what Levi Wallace said or anything else. The Head Coach failed to bring the team together during the MULTIPLE time outs and get the football 101 gameplan together.

Last year, we were on a down slide from the Bye week, and McD never got a fire lit under the team.

I'm not sure he is even CAPABLE of lighting fires under guys.

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 7

I think everyone involved are going to want to see the next step, IMO a SB berth.

The fact they dismissed Frazier which was a good move IMO but also for once focusing on protection and acquiring weapons for Josh pretty much shows the urgency.

But no, I don't feel McD's job is on the line.

• Dislike 2

It depends what you mean. I think this might be his last best chance to win a Superbowl. I say that because they have some key decisions to make after this season - the safeties obviously, can White still play at an elite level, if not can Elam or one of the other corners step up, is Dion worthy of a third contract, are they starting again at WR2, most of their Dline are old and / or out of contract. I think next year might be a bit of a roster re-set year and we will likely be less talented or more inexperienced at certain spots. And if McDermott fails twice more I'm not sure he gets a third go unless there are extenuating circumstances. 

Do I think Pegula could realistically fire him after this season? Not unless Allen is healthy and the Bills still manage to miss the playoffs, or there is a 13 seconds level coaching blunder. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I voted no, because I think that’s the reality. 

If “It Should Be” was an option, that would’ve been my vote. 

Good job looking at it objectively. He obviously isn't, and I don't know why some posters here are blind to that. What YOU think doesn't matter. It is what the Pegula's think. They are going to stick with McDermott unless something crazy happens.

I think McDermott has at least two more seasons, including this one.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

Good job looking at it objectively. He obviously isn't, and I don't know why some posters here are blind to that. What YOU think doesn't matter. It is what the Pegula's think. They are going to stick with McDermott unless something crazy happens.

I think McDermott has at least two more seasons, including this one.

Yes I do not think his job is in jeopardy this year or even next year tbh

but personally I do think there should be some questions asked if they don't win a Super Bowl very soon

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, MJS said:

You think today will impact his job?

No. But I just can’t happen to think or feel that the pressure is building and we might be seeing some small cracks in the foundation. not sounding any alarms at all. But this season will certainly be an interesting one. 

whatever happened today is very clearly football related. 

13 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Added the it should be option. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes his seat is warm.

13 seconds is COMPLETELY on him. I dont care about what Levi Wallace said or anything else. The Head Coach failed to bring the team together during the MULTIPLE time outs and get the football 101 gameplan together.

Last year, we were on a down slide from the Bye week, and McD never got a fire lit under the team.

What did Levi Wallace say? Must have missed that?

35 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

What did Levi Wallace say? Must have missed that?

He said he blew the coverage. Misread the formation, missed his key and played the wrong responsibility. 

And that is plausible when you watch it. But at the same time it was a smaller piece of a bigger failure. A coverage error by Levi on one of three plays they screwed up isn't the reason they lost. The tactics of how they chose to play were wrong.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

No, but I think his seat is warmer than many realize.

I don’t think there is any circumstance that could leave to him being let go after this season, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he was gone after next (2024) season if we continue to falter in the playoffs.

We can’t waste Allen’s entire career waiting for McDermott to figure it out.

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He said he blew the coverage. Misread the formation, missed his key and played the wrong responsibility. 

Not exactly.

Many people misunderstood what Wallace was saying. 

Wallace said it was in the gameplay to play it the way he did, but he wishes he overrode the game plan, given the situation.

He was basically saying that he blame himself for not changing the way the coaches told him to play it.

That is not the same as saying he blew the coverage

0-B5-DB81-E-1-B2-E-4724-96-DA-2-EAAF7-C0

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 1

After our playoff exit this year , I immediately put McD on my personal hot seat. This off-season has flown by due to how disillusioned I’ve become. 

The 13 seconds and lack of Defensive accountability was egregious. Letting Frazier stay was ridiculous. Blaming anything on a special teams coach was worse.

The offense looked out of sync last year and Josh was used as a “ Get out of jail free” card when they couldn’t get anything else to work. If the new guards work out there is no reason to not have a running game. With Cooke, we should have a short passing game out of the backfield. Will we??? 🤷‍♂️

If we get embarrassed again, in the playoffs again, it is time for a new coach while Josh still has peak performance years left in him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsbackto81 said:

I think everyone involved are going to want to see the next step, IMO a SB berth.

The fact they dismissed Frazier which was a good move IMO but also for once focusing on protection and acquiring weapons for Josh pretty much shows the urgency.

But no, I don't feel McD's job is on the line.

I'd be happy with another appearance in the AFC Championship game.  I fully expect NOT getting to that level this year; we are due for a regression.  I have said so since the end of last year.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Some fans would LOVE to think so. 

YEP!

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I agree it won't be his last year and I voted "it should be" so I think we are in agreement here.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes his seat is warm.

https://giphy.com/gifs/nfl-sports-football-sport-xl97LVuaSiCTcbav4H

If the Dolphins, Jets or Patriots make it deeper into the playoffs than the Bills, 2023 could be McDermott's final season as the head coach of the Bills.  It would be hard to understand the point of bringing him back after that.  But another trip to the divisional round with some combination of the Bengals, Chiefs, Ravens advancing to the championship game probably keeps McDermott in the Marvin Lewis/ Dan Reeves sweet spot. 

3 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

Based on today’s super normal non-newsworthy bills day in June. The feeling is starting to be make or break this year for this team. 

Any coach coming off a 14-4 year last year would be picked up in minutes, and I hope it wouldn’t be in the AFC. 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

My GOD I HOPE SO

We are the Marvin Lewis Bengals.  How long do you want to continue the experiment?

Really did Lewis took the bengals to the playoffs in 7-16 years lol

mcdermott is 5-6 with an afc championship game 

Lewis was way more mediocre 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I voted "it should be".

McDermott doesn't have to get the team over the hump into the Super Bowl but he has to right the ship. He has to keep the team from regressing. One of two things has to happen. 

1. They don't get embarrassed in the divisional round or worse yet don't even make the divisional. At this point, i'll settle for a competitive divisonal round loss as saving McDermott.

or

2. They have to avoid the annual slide this team has between Halloween and Thanksgiving. The slide has cost them the one seed multiple years running now. 

47 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The way that the contracts line up - both key players and McDermott/Beane’s I think they have two seasons. A catastrophe this year would accelerate it to after this season, but the way it looks planned out seems like they have two.  

Whats would be a catastrophe? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.