Is this year make or break for McDermott?

CountDorkula

Is it Super Bowl or bust for McDermott this year?  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Is it SuperBowl or Bust for McD this year?

• Yes
    • No
    • It should be

11 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

A situation bad enough that he’d lose the locker room. 

I think if the Bills don't win the division, and the division winner goes further in the playoffs than the Bills, that nearly catostrophic. 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 2

36 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I’m not sure that gets the plug pulled on them, but it might. 

The plug should've been pulled after :13.  Daboll should've been immediately promoted. Farwell was his scapegoat in 21.  Frazier in 22.  And Dorsey will probably be the sacrificial lamb after this season. Sean's the Teflon man.

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The plug should've been pulled after :13.  Daboll should've been immediately promoted. Farwell was his scapegoat in 21.  Frazier in 22.  And Dorsey will probably be the sacrificial lamb after this season. Sean's the Teflon man.

You’re not wrong. That was inexcusable. Certainly a fireable offense. 

17 minutes ago, 4thandGoal said:

No-- not even close--- the record we have had over his tenute here compared to the previous 10-13 years speaks for itself.   he is is safe till they have a few years of losing records.

How soon people forget. No franchise QB in sight and still made the playoffs in his first year after damn near 20 years of mediocrity 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think the evidence is in him having to take over the Defense.

Yes his seat is warm.

Yes this is make or break for McD.

13 seconds is COMPLETELY on him. I dont care about what Levi Wallace said or anything else. The Head Coach failed to bring the team together during the MULTIPLE time outs and get the football 101 gameplan together.

Last year, we were on a down slide from the Bye week, and McD never got a fire lit under the team.

I'm not sure he is even CAPABLE of lighting fires under guys.

Have we ever disagree?

Maybe Geno. That's it, but I never had strong feelings on him. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, 4thandGoal said:

No-- not even close--- the record we have had over his tenute here compared to the previous 10-13 years speaks for itself.   he is is safe till they have a few years of losing records.

A few years of losing records? Seems unfathomable with Allen at QB. 

He would surely be fired after the second if not the first. He's already got the team in a downward postseason trajectory. 

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

How soon people forget. No franchise QB in sight and still made the playoffs in his first year after damn near 20 years of mediocrity 

Mediocrity in intelligence for some people.  Same problem with the current situation in the country.

• Vomit 1

7 hours ago, Einstein said:

Not exactly.

Many people misunderstood what Wallace was saying. 

Wallace said it was in the gameplay to play it the way he did, but he wishes he overrode the game plan, given the situation.

He was basically saying that he blame himself for not changing the way the coaches told him to play it.

That is not the same as saying he blew the coverage

0-B5-DB81-E-1-B2-E-4724-96-DA-2-EAAF7-C0

I listened to the interview. He lined up as he should then didn't make the adjustment that he should when the KC formation shifted. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The fact that he took over the defense indicates to me that at least McDermott feels that way

I agree with your assessment regarding taking over the defensive coaching.  He must feel he needs to coach what he knows best - - defense.  If this doesn't get the Bills to a SB then he's toast within 2 years.

I think it should be.  The Bills have lots of A players and the coaching in big games never rises to that level.  I won't dismiss him out of hand, he's done a lot of good building up the team, but is consistently outcoached in big situations.  I think of him similar to the complaints that swirled around Tremaine Edmunds... good player, but no splash plays... nothing that puts us over the top.  To win a Super Bowl the coach has to be a differentiator in big situations and I can't think of when he's done that.

I don't know whether that's fair or not, but it's how I see him.

12 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

The fact that he took over the defense indicates to me that at least McDermott feels that way

Every post season failure sticks in Sean’s craw as it were, imo it pisses him off that he/his team failed, his taking over as DC is him saying, I’ll be damned if this is gonna happen again. The question is will it succeed, and can KD scheme up a winner on offense,  We shall see.

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I listened to the interview. He lined up as he should then didn't make the adjustment that he should when the KC formation shifted. 

To date, Levi Wallace is still the only Buffalo Bill that stood up and took any accountability for 13 seconds.  He can play on my team anytime.

I think McDermott is safe. The Bills have been a winning team for a while now. Yes, the playoff losses suck but overall McDermott has been successful for the most part. The Bills would have to become a ****show and I doubt this happens with this roster. But as we have seen with the Sabres this past decade Terry will fire the HC and GM if he feels a change is needed.

No.   They'll keep getting back in the hunt and one of these years the playoff breaks will go their way and the trophy will be theirs.   That's pretty much the formula in the NFL now.   Get a high playoff seed and be your best and get some breaks in each playoff game. 

Bills fans will say no, because they want continuity after 2 decades of failure.  I’m going to say yes.  If the team fails, especially if it’s the defense failing again, McDermott won’t have an excuse.  Frazier was the fall guy in McD’s system.  Now he’s running the D.  If they ***** the bed under his watch again, I’d think he’s a good, but not great coach.  He can change culture and make teams competitive, but can’t get teams to win rings.

Every year is a make-or-break year for an NFL Head Coach. If your team implodes & goes something like 3-14 anyone would be likely to get fired or "forced" to retire. if you have enough stature & reputation in the league the quiet part would never be said out loud ... but you would be removed from your job.   

19 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea. As has been said before, Marty Schottenheimer is a better comparison.  

I'm not sure if that's a better comparison.  McDermott would need to lose his next 8 playoff games in a row to match Marty's playoff winning percentage.

Marty went to the playoffs 18 times and only won 5 games.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not big on McDermott, but SB or bust is too high of a bar. I'd be bitterly disappointed with another early playoff exit, but there's multiple elite teams every year that don't win the SB.

What I think should put him on the hot seat / get him fired:

1) End the regular season with a losing record and miss the playoffs entirely

2) Another terrible defensive performance in the playoffs (4th year in a row and can't blame it on Frazier this time)

3) Another coaching blunder in the playoffs ala 13 seconds

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

It will take more the one non playoff year for McD to be canned. Pegula has seen under McD the team go from nothing to yearly contender that wins a lot and is a major national brand right now. No way he is touching that unless there is years worth of regression. Now for me I would not say this is a make it or break it year, but if he fails to breakthrough again or worse does miss the playoffs I think 25' for me would be make it or break it at that point. Josh still has a lot of prime years left and if after 25 the result is the same you make the move finally so you can get a different voice and leader while you still have Josh at some good years.

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why is this fanbase so into firing people? Playoffs, no playoffs, let's fire someone!

In the Bills case the expectations have been sky high these past few seasons. The playoff losses have not only been frustrating but it's the way they lost. 13 seconds is still unbelievable and the no-show vs the Bengals last year are the two games that tops the list.

I don't think he will be fired due to any of the scenarios. Terry Pegula doesn't seem like a hard nosed owner to fire McDermott. The guy ends up crying at most of his press conferences! If it was Jerry Jones, that would be another story. Pegula won't rock the boat any time soon.

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

In the Bills case the expectations have been sky high these past few seasons. The playoff losses have not only been frustrating but it's the way they lost. 13 seconds is still unbelievable and the no-show vs the Bengals last year are the two games that tops the list.

You don't give up. You go back and try again. I'm not rebuilding this team.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

I don't think he will be fired due to any of the scenarios. Terry Pegula doesn't seem like a hard nosed owner to fire McDermott. The guy ends up crying at most of his press conferences! If it was Jerry Jones, that would be another story. Pegula won't rock the boat any time soon.

He had no problem firing GM's/HC's of the Sabres when they were a ****show. Thankfully things are looking up for them now.

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You don't give up. You go back and try again. I'm not rebuilding this team.

Getting rid of McDermott doesn't mean we're rebuilding. There are so many examples of teams that fired a coach that couldn't get them over the top and hired someone new that got them there. Some coaches just don't have it in them to go all the way. McDermott is one of them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.