Is this year make or break for McDermott?

CountDorkula

Is it Super Bowl or bust for McDermott this year?  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Is it SuperBowl or Bust for McD this year?

• Yes
    • No
    • It should be

I don't get Super-Bowl-or-Bust.

I've seen supposed gurus rank our roster anywhere from 3rd the 8th best this year.  It's not Super Bowl quality according to most.  

But the club with the best roster doesn't necessarily win the SB.  I'd give the Bills maybe a 10% chance.  I wouldn't fire the head coach for not turning a 10% probability into a reality.  

If you did fire McD, who would you hire?  The coaches demonstrably better than him are either employed or retired.  I'll take our chances with McD over our chances with an unproven coordinator.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Should’ve gotten rid of him after 13 seconds.

Last years playoff butt kicking at home was a no brainer to move on and bring in Sean Peyton.

If we don’t make AFC title game or Super Bowl this year, he should be fired on the sidelines immediately after last game when clock hits 0:00.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Getting rid of McDermott doesn't mean we're rebuilding. There are so many examples of teams that fired a coach that couldn't get them over the top and hired someone new that got them there. Some coaches just don't have it in them to go all the way. McDermott is one of them. 

Name one. And you're telling me there was no re-tooling by the new coach? No cleaning house? No bringing in his guys? His players? And who hires the coach? Beane, who you retain? Or are you firing him because he was McDermott's guy? And if you get a new GM, he's gonna want his guys.  Sorry, I'm not signing up for that. We have a very good team. Sorry you didn't get the candy you were promised.

31 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

That was a little different though. The Sabres were the worst team in the NHL.

And the Bills are what? 29th? 30th worst?

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, McBean said:

Last years playoff butt kicking at home was a no brainer to move on and bring in Sean Peyton.

If we don’t make AFC title game or Super Bowl this year, he should be fired on the sidelines immediately after last game when clock hits 0:00.

Let's not forget we beat the Fish by 3 points with their 3rd string QB on home turf.  We could have easily lost that game; thank god we did not, but what if we had?  It would have put McDermott on the hot seat a year (or more) sooner than he is going to end up on it anyway.

Could have saved some time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Name one. And you're telling me there was no re-tooling by the new coach? No cleaning house? No bringing in his guys? His players? And who hires the coach? Beane, who you retain? Or are you firing him because he was McDermott's guy? And if you get a new GM, he's gonna want his guys.  Sorry, I'm not signing up for that. We have a very good team. Sorry you didn't get the candy you were promised.

Not sure I follow you here. My original post was no way Pegula will fire McDermott. He had no choice with firing the Sabres guys- they were the laughingstock of the NHL 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

Let's not forget we beat the Fish by 3 points with their 3rd string QB on home turf.  We could have easily lost that game; thank god we did not, but what if we had?  It would have put McDermott on the hot seat a year (or more) sooner than he is going to end up on it anyway.

Could have saved some time.

If we had you'd have fired the coach? Did he turn the ball over in his own half mutliple times? Did he give Miami all those short fields? 

18 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Colin thinks McDermott should get canned. 

Herd w/Colin Cowherd on Twitter: ""Sean McDermott, last chance. He's the issue. I watched him get out coached by Mike McDaniel 3 times." — @ColinCowherd on Stefon Diggs' absence from minicamp https://t.co/wz76ZVeupl" / Twitter

Ooooh, remind me to care.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Ooooh, remind me to care.

I don't think anyone cares what any of these so-called "experts" really think. But McDermott was outcoached in the first 2 games against them. I disagree on the playoff game. That was more of the Bills shooting themselves in the foot that let the Fins back in it. Early on that game looked like it was going to be a blowout.

Edited by Gregg

Just now, Gregg said:

I don't think anyone cares what any of these so-called "experts" really think. But McDermott was outcoached in the first 2 games against them. I disagree on the playoff game. That was more of the Bills shooting themselves in the foot that let the Fins back in it. Early on that game looked like it was going to be a blowout.

I'm gonna try and just ignore football until the season starts. I have a headawche.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

It comes down to competitiveness in the playoffs. Doesn't require a SB berth necessarily, but McDermott needs to right the trajectory and not get out-classed again when it counts.   

In fact, McDermott's seat gets much hotter if the Bills get blown out again in the playoffs as opposed to missing the wildcard cut at 10-7.  He'll be measured by his ability to compete with elite teams in the spotlight and, if he fails again, his limitations as a head coach crystallize.   

23 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think the evidence is in him having to take over the Defense.

Yes his seat is warm.

Yes this is make or break for McD.

13 seconds is COMPLETELY on him. I dont care about what Levi Wallace said or anything else. The Head Coach failed to bring the team together during the MULTIPLE time outs and get the football 101 gameplan together.

Last year, we were on a down slide from the Bye week, and McD never got a fire lit under the team.

I'm not sure he is even CAPABLE of lighting fires under guys.

I agree with EVERY word of the 13 Seconds!

Until the Clapper takes them to the SB AND Wins, 13 Seconds will always be on him! It was the worst HC lack of decision making in Pro Sports! Ranks with not running the Beast from the 1 and getting snakes eyes Butler!

THAT was a SB appearance minimum… lost!

I honestly have no idea what is going to happen to Seen McDermott nor do I really care at this point. I said everything about Sean McDermott already I wanted to say. It would be just piling on at this point. Sean McDermott as a NFL head coach is like paddling a canoe with one oar in the water instead of two oars going around in circles never going anywhere in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Gruden replacing Dungy fits this correct?

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Agree with PTR.   

What is wrong with people on this board?   The 12th beer didn't go down so well during the Cinci game and its off with their heads?   

I wouldn't put it as a "make of break" season for the Bills. Make or break to me means if you fall short of expectations you will be fired. However, barring catastrophic injury a disappointment in the playoffs would be enough to cause put McD and company on the hot seat for 2024. But to fire, McD after 2023 would be far too premature for a man who completely turned around the organization from top to bottom. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Apparently so. Gruden is available now isn't he? Lightning might strike twice. It's only been 20 years.

I didn't mean hire him. I thought you asked if a coach took over for another coach and went on to win the SB. I'm pretty sure you said name 1 person that did that. Unless I misunderstood.

51 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

I didn't mean hire him. I thought you asked if a coach took over for another coach and went on to win the SB. I'm pretty sure you said name 1 person that did that. Unless I misunderstood.

No, you're right. I couldn't think of an example but Gruden fits. I still don't think it's a good idea 

8 hours ago, McBean said:

I've seen enough of clappy. He did well to build a winner. Credit goes to him and Beane. It's time to let McD go and rebuild another team. 

The last two years of playoff failure is inexcusable. He will likely go down as the biggest choke artist in playoff history (13 seconds). It will haunt Bills fans for decades. Just like wide right and Tenn miracle. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

16 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea. As has been said before, Marty Schottenheimer is a better comparison.  

Marty is the perfect and most accurate comp for McDermott.  I've said it these last few years. Eventually Terry will get fed up with the playoff struggles. Sean just doesn't have the ability to out scheme better coaches.  That's part of why Josh is forced to play hero ball more than he should.

22 hours ago, Starr Almighty said:

It also happened with Dungy and the Colts I believe, but they lost the Superbowl to the Saints 

Dungy won one before that. But took him a pretty significant reset to do it.

3 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

It 100% is.

Better coaches have been let go for less. It’s make or break. Easily.

Who?

17 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Marty is the perfect and most accurate comp for McDermott.  I've said it these last few years. Eventually Terry will get fed up with the playoff struggles. Sean just doesn't have the ability to out scheme better coaches.  That's part of why Josh is forced to play hero ball more than he should.

Agree! 👍

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Dungy won one before that. But took him a pretty significant reset to do it.

Who?

Tom Landry, Paul Brown, Brian Billick, George Seifert, Gruden, Mike Shannahan, and Hank Stram. 

Edited by newcam2012

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Tom Landry, Paul Brown, Brian Billick, George Seifert, Gruden, Mike Shannahan, and Hank Stram. 

I am not old so I have no idea about most of them..... but Billick, Gruden and Shanahan were all the same pattern and NONE were fired for "less". They were all fired after being Superbowl winners because they kept missing the playoffs thereafter. 

That is different to being fired for losing in the playoffs too often. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not old so I have no idea about most of them..... but Billick, Gruden and Shanahan were all the same pattern and NONE were fired for "less". They were all fired after being Superbowl winners because they kept missing the playoffs thereafter. 

That is different to being fired for losing in the playoffs too often. 

It's easy worse because they won SB.

• Disagree 1

8 hours ago, aristocrat said:

He needs to win this year or be out of here. Too much talent to not win 

I was half kidding when I started this thread. 

but there is a lot of heat surrounding McDermott from the national media. 
just or not nobody knows. 

but it seems the attention has been turned up quite a bit in the last few days. 

4 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

I was half kidding when I started this thread. 

but there is a lot of heat surrounding McDermott from the national media. 
just or not nobody knows. 

but it seems the attention has been turned up quite a bit in the last few days. 

So all that good will he got for his response to the Hamlin situation is already gone? Sheeesh, that didn’t last long! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.