NFL Network projects Bills at 9-8?!

BobbyC81

Love your avatar.  As a kid in the 70s we all practiced tapping our toes on the sideline like #81 Bobby Chandler.  Before it was labeled Toe Drag Swag.  

As for the NFL Network prediction, remember where they are based and the fact they employ many Long Island parents' cellar dwellers who love Gang Green.

I say 12-5 for Bills this year.   

• Like (+1) 4

It's just one guy named Adam Rank.  He's harmless. Last year he had the Broncos going 12-5 and the Chiefs missing the playoffs.  He bought that narrative so why not buy the narrative that the Jets are the new Broncos and the Bills are the new Chiefs this year.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BobbyC81 said:

The NFL Network projected 2023 records for all NFL teams and they had the Bills at 9-8?!

What are they smoking?!

They have the Jets winning the AFC East with a 13-4 record.

Love it! I hope the Jets keep getting fluffed up. The high expectations will set the up for a lot of turmoil when they start 3-5. 

I have the Jets completely imploding this year. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

As long as they make the playoffs, I couldn't care less what the record is.  

As stated above, it's a very tough schedule on paper.

I get what you are saying. Making the playoffs is only half the battle.

The Bills have made the playoffs for five straight years. The Bills have an experienced franchise QB. Beane made a huge win now move with Von. 

Making the playoffs just doesn't seem to cut it for this fan. The "bar" is much higher than that for me.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Love it! I hope the Jets keep getting fluffed up. The high expectations will set the up for a lot of turmoil when they start 3-5. 

I have the Jets completely imploding this year. 

Why? I don't get that logic. The Jets are definitely a playoff contender. 

Their defense is really solid. They have weapons on offense is Rodgers is a huge upgrade. It's likely he doesn't have to be great in order for the Jets to win. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The Bills have made the playoffs for five straight years. The Bills have an experienced franchise QB. Beane made a huge win now move with Von. 

Making the playoffs just doesn't seem to cut it for this fan. The "bar" is much higher than that for me.

Why? I don't get that logic. The Jets are definitely a playoff contender. 

Their defense is really solid. They have weapons on offense is Rodgers is a huge upgrade. It's likely he doesn't have to be great in order for the Jets to win. 

Here's the logic.

1. While last year the Jets had horrible QB play their OL was just as big of a problem. I'm not even going to speculate if Rodgers downhill spiral continues this year. However getting him does nothing to help that OL that they largely ignored.  They also did next to nothing to address TE and Hall will be back...but I don't think he'll be what he was this year. Next year he should be back to normal.

2. They brought in too many of Rodgers buddies. He showed last year almost a stubborn unwillingness to use his rookie WRs until way late in the season. He very well may be looking Lazard and Cobb's way on crucial plays rather than Wilson. And they got rid of Moore who is better than what they brought in. 

3. Nate. Freaking. Hackett. This is going to be an issue. I absolutely LOVE when the media brings up that he was the OC in GB for both Rodgers recent MVP seasons. He wasn't calling the plays. We have seen for years what happens when Hackett is a play caller. 

4. Expectations are too high. They brought in a 40 year old QB that showed serious signs of decline...and Saleh has the balls to stand in front of the NY/NJ media and crow about how they are top Super Bowl (not playoff) contenders now. Last year he kept saying he's 'keeping receipts" against the media. Bet they are keeping them against them. 

5. Their schedule. Take a peek. Their first 8 games are their toughest stretch. It's very plausible they start 1-3. 3-5 is very possible.

Are they playoff contenders? Sure. But that's not what they are being hyped as. There are many other things that factor in but the bottom line is a 40 year old QB that already showed signs of decline last year playing behind that OL and being run by Nate Hackett is a recipe for 7-10 or 8-9.

• Like (+1) 7

Given Saleh's rise in coaching acumen, I do believe the Jets will be a very good team, but I don't understand why the Bills are slated to be just above .500....I can see a dog fight among Miami, Jets and Bills resulting in a total lower win count, but I just don't think it results in mediocrity. Some of these things feel like talking heads who merely want to look like they're ahead of the curve with their projections and hedging for accolades later in the season. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillsfaninChicago said:

Unless Aaron Rodgers is allowed to play with a time machine that is not happening. 

I don’t understand the narrative some Bills fans have that Rodgers is washed up. He has literally won 2 of the last 3 MVP’s and played on a terrible team last year.

If the Jets had even average QB play last season they would have been in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Don't get me wrong, it's Super Bowl or bust.  I'm just saying, as long as they give themselves the opportunity through a playoff birth...

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Here's the logic.

1. While last year the Jets had horrible QB play their OL was just as big of a problem. I'm not even going to speculate if Rodgers downhill spiral continues this year. However getting him does nothing to help that OL that they largely ignored.  They also did next to nothing to address TE and Hall will be back...but I don't think he'll be what he was this year. Next year he should be back to normal.

2. They brought in too many of Rodgers buddies. He showed last year almost a stubborn unwillingness to use his rookie WRs until way late in the season. He very well may be looking Lazard and Cobb's way on crucial plays rather than Wilson. And they got rid of Moore who is better than what they brought in. 

3. Nate. Freaking. Hackett. This is going to be an issue. I absolutely LOVE when the media brings up that he was the OC in GB for both Rodgers recent MVP seasons. He wasn't calling the plays. We have seen for years what happens when Hackett is a play caller. 

4. Expectations are too high. They brought in a 40 year old QB that showed serious signs of decline...and Saleh has the balls to stand in front of the NY/NJ media and crow about how they are top Super Bowl (not playoff) contenders now. Last year he kept saying he's 'keeping receipts" against the media. Bet they are keeping them against them. 

5. Their schedule. Take a peek. Their first 8 games are their toughest stretch. It's very plausible they start 1-3. 3-5 is very possible.

Are they playoff contenders? Sure. But that's not what they are being hyped as. There are many other things that factor in but the bottom line is a 40 year old QB that already showed signs of decline last year playing behind that OL and being run by Nate Hackett is a recipe for 7-10 or 8-9.

(1) You have no idea what kind of Hall the Jets will get. He's young and might peak mid season or so. Based on your logic how is an aging Von going to do?

(2) Pure conjecture on Rodgers and his WRs. One could say its a positive that Rodgers has a rapport  with his WRs. Also, their WR core looks decent.

(3) No Hackett fan here. A familiarity still could be a good thing though.

(4) Not worth addressing. Meaningless gibberish.

(5) Yes a very tough schedule and division. We are in agreement finally. 

Certainly, it's plausible the Jets go 7-10. The same can be said for them going 10-7. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's just one guy named Adam Rank.  He's harmless. Last year he had the Broncos going 12-5 and the Chiefs missing the playoffs.  He bought that narrative so why not buy the narrative that the Jets are the new Broncos and the Bills are the new Chiefs this year.

Or he just has to have hot takes because it generates interest.  

• Agree 1

Click bait, and successful click bait at that…, 

33 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

(1) You have no idea what kind of Hall the Jets will get. He's young and might peak mid season or so. Based on your logic how is an aging Von going to do?

(2) Pure conjecture on Rodgers and his WRs. One could say its a positive that Rodgers has a rapport  with his WRs. Also, their WR core looks decent.

(3) No Hackett fan here. A familiarity still could be a good thing though.

(4) Not worth addressing. Meaningless gibberish.

(5) Yes a very tough schedule and division. We are in agreement finally. 

Certainly, it's plausible the Jets go 7-10. The same can be said for them going 10-7. 

I mean, at this stage of the off season every thought is conjecture and guess work. You are correct in saying that. Works both ways as every "counter point" you make is conjecture as well. Just a difference of view. Nothing you have said here is anything other then meaningless gibberish until the pads come on and the season kicks off. 

Sure, they could go 7-10, 10-7, heck at this point in the off season we could say almost any team could fall in that category. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This season’s schedule is setting up to be a grind. Fans need to be ready for a tough hard fought schedule. It’s very possible the Bills go  9-8 or 10-7 and sneak in as a wild card. 

BUT I think it’s their best roster and they can do a lot of damage once they get in.

I think your trepidation about the schedule is reasonable but at the same time the Bills will be favored in every game other than KC and Cinn. If you think the Jets and Miami will be at the same talent level as the Bills, 9 and 8 or 10 and 7 is an easy prediction. I think they get 4 or5 wins out of the AFCE. Then you look at the NFC games. Can any reasonable football fan expect more than one loss against the likes of Dallas, Washington, NY, Tampa or Philadelphia? That gets the Bills 8 or 9 wins. Then you have Jax, Denver, LV, home games. Those games should be minimum 2 wins if not 3. That gives conservatively 10 wins for us. Then the question is how many wins in the Chiefs, Bengals and Charger games are possible. I say an objective observer would expect minimum 1 win. So if you give the Bills 4 AFCE wins, 4 NFC wins, 2 AFC home field wins and 1 road win out of 3 away AFC playoff teams games, 11 and 6 minimum is what you’re left with. Unless your a frustrated Bills hater and you think they take a step backward, 11 or 12 wins is a fair prognostication.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Doc said:

Predictions are like opinions...

Except opinions can often be shaded after the fact to partly buttress the original contention.  A bad prediction allows you to rub the prognosticator's nose in it. 😁

Too often we forget to revisit these predictions after the season ends.

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

I think your trepidation about the schedule is reasonable but at the same time the Bills will be favored in every game other than KC and Cinn. If you think the Jets and Miami will be at the same talent level as the Bills, 9 and 8 or 10 and 7 is an easy prediction. I think they get 4 or5 wins out of the AFCE. Then you look at the NFC games. Can any reasonable football fan expect more than one loss against the likes of Dallas, Washington, NY, Tampa or Philadelphia? That gets the Bills 8 or 9 wins. Then you have Jax, Denver, LV, home games. Those games should be minimum 2 wins if not 3. That gives conservatively 10 wins for us. Then the question is how many wins in the Chiefs, Bengals and Charger games are possible. I say an objective observer would expect minimum 1 win. So if you give the Bills 4 AFCE wins, 4 NFC wins, 2 AFC home field wins and 1 road win out of 3 away AFC playoff teams games, 11 and 6 minimum is what you’re left with. Unless your a frustrated Bills hater and you think they take a step backward, 11 or 12 wins is a fair prognostication.

The NFL is hugely unpredictable, but I like your analysis.  It's a logical, straight-forward way to look at what's likely.  

Could the Bills go 9-8?   Of course.  Almost every season, some team that most fans projected to be a Super Bowl contender falls apart, like the Rams did last season.   Happens all the time.  But four or five or six other teams that also were picked to be contenders actually turn out to be contenders.  

The Bills have to be near the top of the list of any rational prognosticator.  They were the favorite last season.  Their roster was judged by many to be the best in the league.   So, what's changed?  Their QB is still in his prime, they have improved their receiving corps, they've made moves that should upgrade the offensive line, they have better running backs, they've added talent to the D line, they get Hyde, Poyer and White back, healthy, and their rookie corners have a year's experience.   It's really hard to think that the Bills will be worse than last season.  They should be better. 

Now, their schedule looks like a monster, but that's just unrealistic.  The Chiefs, the Eagles, the Jets, the Dolphins, the Bengals, the Cowboys, the Jaguars, and the Chargers are not ALL going 12-5 better.  By the end of the season, several of those teams WILL be 9-8 or worse.  I mean, did the Jets roster actually get BETTER than the Bills?   Does anyone really want Tua over Josh?  

Maybe the Bills will finish third in the division.  It happens.  But it's quite unlikely.  They're too good, and they're too motivated.  

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

This season’s schedule is setting up to be a grind. Fans need to be ready for a tough hard fought schedule. It’s very possible the Bills go  9-8 or 10-7 and sneak in as a wild card. 

BUT I think it’s their best roster and they can do a lot of damage once they get in.

agreed. Plus, peaking at the right time is key. That’s what made 2021-22 so perfect. Played our best ball when it mattered. We hang on in that chiefs game and we win the SB. 

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I mean, at this stage of the off season every thought is conjecture and guess work. You are correct in saying that. Works both ways as every "counter point" you make is conjecture as well. Just a difference of view. Nothing you have said here is anything other then meaningless gibberish until the pads come on and the season kicks off. 

Sure, they could go 7-10, 10-7, heck at this point in the off season we could say almost any team could fall in that category. 

Don’t you feel good knowing newcam2012 agreed with you on #5? You must be proud. I mean it newcam2012, like the smartest poster. Ever. 

• Haha (+1) 2

People pretty much just remember the last thing they saw, and then you have the fact that building narratives is more compelling than being rational about small sample sizes like the NFL playoffs.  After 2021 they remembered one of the greatest playoff games of all time and had the Bills ascending.  After 2022 they remember us laying an egg so now we're supposedly overrated.  None of that really matters.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The NFL is hugely unpredictable, but I like your analysis.  It's a logical, straight-forward way to look at what's likely.  

Could the Bills go 9-8?   Of course.  Almost every season, some team that most fans projected to be a Super Bowl contender falls apart, like the Rams did last season.   Happens all the time.  But four or five or six other teams that also were picked to be contenders actually turn out to be contenders.  

The Bills have to be near the top of the list of any rational prognosticator.  They were the favorite last season.  Their roster was judged by many to be the best in the league.   So, what's changed?  Their QB is still in his prime, they have improved their receiving corps, they've made moves that should upgrade the offensive line, they have better running backs, they've added talent to the D line, they get Hyde, Poyer and White back, healthy, and their rookie corners have a year's experience.   It's really hard to think that the Bills will be worse than last season.  They should be better. 

Now, their schedule looks like a monster, but that's just unrealistic.  The Chiefs, the Eagles, the Jets, the Dolphins, the Bengals, the Cowboys, the Jaguars, and the Chargers are not ALL going 12-5 better.  By the end of the season, several of those teams WILL be 9-8 or worse.  I mean, did the Jets roster actually get BETTER than the Bills?   Does anyone really want Tua over Josh?  

Maybe the Bills will finish third in the division.  It happens.  But it's quite unlikely.  They're too good, and they're too motivated.  

Wow, great analysis. Objective, reasonable. The only thing that could bring us back to the pack is Dorsey’s inability to keep everyone involved and working towards a common goal. He showed a reliance on Josh being Superman and not taking what the defense is giving you last season. If the O-line is improved and we can incorporate a legit running attack with an improved receiving corp with Kincaid upgrading the slot, this team will be a load.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I hear you - it does seem like a tough schedule.  However, the Bills have won 37 games the past 3 seasons, only second to the Chiefs.   The current roster, on paper, is better than those teams.  They have a top 5 QB in the league.  If they finish below 11 wins they had long term injuries at the wrong positions or inexplicably lacked focus and urgency. 

Tough competition doesn’t mean better competition.  The Bills are better than most of the teams they will play outside of KC, Cincinnati and Philly; and I believe they are even with the regular season version of KC.  The Bengals, at this point, are better.   A healthy Tre, Hyde, Miller and Jones could easily change that equation though.  That Philly game will be a mosh pit, but the Bills talent is equal to Philly if the additions on both lines show up.

I’m so glad they play the Jets week one on national TV.   A point needs to be made.  That last payoff game left a bad taste in everybody’s mouth, but don’t overreact.  The Bills are a serious threat for the Lombardi schedule be damned.

5 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

The NFL Network projected 2023 records for all NFL teams and they had the Bills at 9-8?!

What are they smoking?!

They have the Jets winning the AFC East with a 13-4 record.

Jess Root wrote this article on predictions. I know some what about him other than he is a long time Cardinals fan. His Job at NFL Network is normally just to cover the Cardinals. Has them winning 2 games.  look at his last 30-50 twitter feeds. mostly all cardinals. 

Inquiry link to find him https://twitter.com/search?q=jess root&src=typed_query

This is pure click bait 

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-network-analyst-predicts-records-for-all-32-teams-in-2023/

he has Jacksonville just winning 9 games, 

He has the Bears going from a 3-14 team to a 12-5 team. 

This is 100% pure Click Bait folks. HE needs the clicks... 

This is the actual link

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-network-analyst-predicts-records-for-all-32-teams-in-2023/

Remember, this guy works for usa today but he reports for NFL Network

Edited by PrimeTime101

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.