Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Let Daquan play it out. Everyone needs to chill. He is playing great but at his age he isn't going to have an amazing market in any event. No rush. Let's see how he lasts the season at his age. If we want him back that is a contract that will be doable in Feb or March.

I tend to agree, but more likely than not we will need to make some cap clearing move in near future. Jones' short extension is definitely one of the options...

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Let Daquan play it out. Everyone needs to chill. He is playing great but at his age he isn't going to have an amazing market in any event. No rush. Let's see how he lasts the season at his age. If we want him back that is a contract that will be doable in Feb or March.

Don’t be Elmer McBuzzKill.  I say sign him now, look at what Oliver has done with his new contract.  Get Jones another year, get that off his mind and let him completely focus on football.

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Miami. With an owner willing to pay money he could get yearly extensions to put earned raises rather than be looking for a long term deal.  He's getting up in age he may not  be looking for years of playing.  He may just want a ring a little cash in bank to sail off to retirement hapoy.

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

Fair but everyone has respect for schobel

Believe it or not, he caught an enormous amount of crap on here the one year that he got hurt. It was nuts. I think I got into more internet dustups with the large majority of the board that was writing him off and ragging on him, than I have over any other subject (except maybe Bledsoe).

When he came back and immediately started bullrushing Tackles into next week, I laughed for  the entire season.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Oliver must’ve hit a switch in his brain because he’s a much more consistent player. We’ve all seen flashes, but he put it altogether finally. Maybe he’s more relaxed now that he’s financially set. 

Beane is starting to look a lot better with picks of Oliver and Rousseau. I was skeptical about Oliver. I was always hopeful of Rousseau because of his wing span, but these picks are looking incredible. and they compliment each other real well.

What a D line. Get healthy Von and take your time. We need you for the stretch run. 

• Like (+1) 5

23 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Oliver must’ve hit a switch in his brain because he’s a much more consistent player. We’ve all seen flashes, but he put it altogether finally. Maybe he’s more relaxed now that he’s financially set. 

Last year he played like this when healthy. He was just nicked up most of the year. 

And the point I made right at the start of this thread on Oliver holds. The underlying analytics always supported the thesis he was playing better than the pure production numbers showed. That almost always equals out at some point.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If Oliver looked like this last year, you could probably attach another 5-6M per year to his price tag. 

And this is why you make the deal when we did. People were ripping it to shreds when it happened. But he always had the skill and talent level to perform as he has. Something was missing. Whether it was Frazier's D or feeling like he wasn't secure after his rookie deal - who knows. But we paid him at a level that was fair for how he was performing. Now that deal is looking like we got him underpaid.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/1/2023 at 6:15 PM, Fleezoid said:

Beane is starting to look a lot better with picks of Oliver and Rousseau. I was skeptical about Oliver. I was always hopeful of Rousseau because of his wing span, but these picks are looking incredible. and they compliment each other real well.

What a D line. Get healthy Von and take your time. We need you for the stretch run. 

Agreed, I’ve been critical of both, more so Rousseau. Oliver has always made a lot of plays just not as many splash plays as some would like.

Also big props on Jones and Floyd. Their impact cannot be understated. They’ve both balled out. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2

On 10/6/2023 at 10:19 AM, Mango said:

Agreed, I’ve been critical of both, more so Rousseau. Oliver has always made a lot of plays just not as many splash plays as some would like.

Also big props on Jones and Floyd. Their impact cannot be understated. They’ve both balled out. 

He been rotated to much his whole time here. Now he's the guy and he can finally get a groove.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/1/2023 at 3:08 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

In 2019 he was a rookie, he was solid but not spectacular, still pretty good for a rookie. 2020 Ed dealt with Covid restrictions in the off-season which probably hurt his development and in 2020 he also had to play out of position playing more 1 tech with Star opting out of the season for Covid. 2021 I expected a breakout but I think Ed still had to be flexed into the 1-Tech a lot even with Star back, he had his best season but not a "breakout". 

2022 with D.Jones, Settle and J.Phillips brought in I thought for sure the conditions for Ed during a contract year would be right for a "breakout" and Oliver dealt with an injury most of the season. He still was "solid" but he wasn't a dominant player either. I thought that 2023 they would just have Ed play out the 5th year option and hopefully get a very good season out of him before he walks and the Bills get a comp pick. 

Instead, the Bills signed him to a fairly big contract and he has the breakout season anyway. Likely I think being health and D.Jones playing the 1-Tech have led to this. But you are onto something that maybe the contract is less of a distraction for him. Either way the extension looks great. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 10/1/2023 at 3:08 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Apparently he was more injured than people thought.

On 10/1/2023 at 3:23 PM, SCBills said:

If Oliver looked like this last year, you could probably attach another 5-6M per year to his price tag. 

He did make a vow after signing that he was gonna outperform the contract.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

He did make a vow after signing that he was gonna outperform the contract.

Just great. Another diva that’s gonna want a new contract after a year of good play. That’s it, im convinced, we need to trade him at the deadline. 

• Haha (+1) 2

• 2 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.