Hopkins released by Arizona (7/16: signed by Titans)

HappyDays

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

Sucks. Hopefully a #2 WR is not the missing piece to season while we watch Hopkins put up a 1,000+ yd season catching balls from Tannehill. 

Of course he's going to pull 1k yards, he's going to be the unquestioned #1 WR in that relatively weak WR room.  No way we get that sort of value out of him on our team at anywhere close to the money the Titans gave him.  In what world would it make sense to give him $10m+/year when we honestly don't really need him?  We added Cook and Kinkaid, Knox will benefit from better O-line play freeing him to go out and catch balls, and our WR signings are underrated.  Davis is fine as WR2.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/15/2023 at 12:49 AM, Warriorspikes51 said:

you'd think if a team had offered good $ he'd already be signed somewhere

There are still some quality UFA's 

If not Hopkins, I'd love to see Ngakoue or Ingram sign here.  That would give us a constant wave of good edge play. 

Again, if a team offered good $ they'd already be signed

The longer these players are on the market, the better chance we have of snagging one who decides to take a little less for a good team 

Looks like he was offered some decent coin by someone 

Edited by Aussie Joe

6 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

silly way of looking at it imo

maybe he believes in the Titans

like how Diggs believed in the Bills

Diggs was traded without having any input, Hopkins chose where to go.  And the Titans appear to have offered him far more money than the Bills or Chefs did.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

silly way of looking at it imo

maybe he believes in the Titans

like how Diggs believed in the Bills

There’s a monumental difference between believing in year 3 Josh Allen vs the guys the titans have under center.  Not to mention that Diggs didn’t choose the bills.  Hopkins chose the titans. 

I certainly don’t believe he went there because he thinks he has a reasonable chance of winning a Super Bowl. He went there because of the money.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Blank Stare said:

Don’t love it, but I get it. At least it’s not the Chiefs. 

Remember when people were worried bc they signed Julio ( w Brown there)? Yeah. This is less of a worry.

Edited by DCofNC
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Everyone knew it was about the money.

On 5/30/2023 at 7:24 PM, benderbender said:

Suddenly everyone is remembering what I can’t forget: the summer of JJ Watt aka the gaslighting saga. We’ve seen this before people. No preorders. Expect him to chase the money. He would have already taken less money already if it was a ring he was after. 

I'd actually play for the money, in any other position but QB.

If you're a top QB, you can dictate games more, and also get more endorsement money if the team does well. Every other position gets paid much less, and you never know how long your career will last. In the NFL, you have to cash in.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, NewEra said:

There’s a monumental difference between believing in year 3 Josh Allen vs the guys the titans have under center.  Not to mention that Diggs didn’t choose the bills.  Hopkins chose the titans. 

I certainly don’t believe he went there because he thinks he has a reasonable chance of winning a Super Bowl. He went there because of the money.  

Yes I agree it's not a perfect analogy, that's reasonable 

I just think it's silly to say oh this guy doesn't care about winning because he's only after the bag 

Every player goes everywhere because of the money

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

He obviously waited out to see if a contender would match or come close the current offers he had. Once he realized nobody was going to bite he took the bag in front of him.

In NE he'd have to face 3 contenders with McNoodle throwing the ball against above average secondaries. 

At least in Tenn it might be interesting considering its a 2 horse race. Unfortunately for him Tennessee's horse is 2 steps away from the glue factory.

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes I agree it's not a perfect analogy, that's reasonable 

I just think it's silly to say oh this guy doesn't care about winning because he's only after the bag 

Every player goes everywhere because of the money

“Doesn’t care” may be strong-  doesn’t care enough to take less $ is fair 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Not sure why he should take less money though? 

To have a better chance at getting a ring because the teams with the best chances aren’t willing to pay him………………duh

It’s really a dumb question scott

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Titans going to turn into the new drought Bills...good enough to go 7-9, 8-8 or 9-7 but not good enough to have any real chance at winning it.

Stop wasting time and rebuild.

That was my first reaction, but they’ve got a couple of young QBs they’re trying to develop.  The biggest mistake McBeane made in Josh’s development was running him out there without anything even resembling a competent WR.  At least now the Titans can ease whichever QB they go with by leaning on a solid run game and a legit WR.  That has value even during a rebuild.  It didn’t cost them any draft picks and it’s not a massive contract, so this doesn’t do anything to stunt their rebuild.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Well it’s over.  I hoped we would pull in an offer and he owned up to the words of a stable team, ownership, and franchise QB.

His actions as always happens to show they were fake and it was only about $.

Too bad and now he can enjoy mediocrity in that dumpster fire in TN.  Sure theyll probably finish 9-8 or something, but Henry gets another year older ya da ya da ya da.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

The  obsession with Cook as a big difference make this year is an odd one to me…. He’s a RB and while he does have some speed as a pass catcher, he’s not a WR… fans are overrating his potential impact, IMO.

Agree on Kincaid, but it’s a big ask for him to come out the season making a big impact as a rookie…. McBeane have frustrated me again with their approach to the playmakers….. 

Cooks potential is chunk plays. He’s an explosive athlete. We haven’t had those types of athletes on offense.

His touches should double.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Thank you (+1) 1

AFC South is garbage. He has a far better chance to make the playoffs with Titans than he did with the Pats.

Bills and Chiefs simply did not have the cap room to compete with the teams with QBs on lesser deals.  

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Cooks potential is chunk plays. He’s an explosive athlete. We haven’t had those types of athletes on offense.

His touches should double.

Agreed. Maybe just maybe Dorsey will figure out how to set up a screen as well 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

AFC South is garbage. He has a far better chance to make the playoffs with Titans than he did with the Pats.

Bills and Chiefs simply did not have the cap room to compete with the teams with QBs on lesser deals.  

Pretty sure Tannehill's cap hit is like 2x Allen's for 2023

1 hour ago, 1ManRaid said:

Of course he's going to pull 1k yards, he's going to be the unquestioned #1 WR in that relatively weak WR room.  No way we get that sort of value out of him on our team at anywhere close to the money the Titans gave him.  In what world would it make sense to give him $10m+/year when we honestly don't really need him?  We added Cook and Kinkaid, Knox will benefit from better O-line play freeing him to go out and catch balls, and our WR signings are underrated.  Davis is fine as WR2.

Beane's reported attempt to get one of the first round WRs in this year's draft, his ultimate selection of Kinkaid, his interest in DHop and OBJ, and Davis's play on the field last season when defenses adjusted to him combined with Digg's frustration in the offense at the end of the season would suggest otherwise...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Fair on the trade but he did want out of a good situation

Horseshoe up their ass in 2022 aside, I'm not sure that I'd call Kirk "You like that!!!... definition of stat padding" Cousins as your QB a good situation. They're a mediocre to borderline good team that will never get over the hump with him under center.

44 minutes ago, Billl said:

That was my first reaction, but they’ve got a couple of young QBs they’re trying to develop.  The biggest mistake McBeane made in Josh’s development was running him out there without anything even resembling a competent WR.  At least now the Titans can ease whichever QB they go with by leaning on a solid run game and a legit WR.  That has value even during a rebuild.  It didn’t cost them any draft picks and it’s not a massive contract, so this doesn’t do anything to stunt their rebuild.

Stefon Diggs literally came in year two of joshes development

46 minutes ago, Billl said:

Neither of them will amount to much. Willis should never step on an NFL field again. Levi's is meh.

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Stefon Diggs literally came in year two of joshes development

Year 3, actually. Allen started 2018, Diggs first year in Buffalo was 2020. I don't think the mistake was in the WR corp in 2018, though, I think it was in the QB room. They were undergoing a roster makeover. Allen's first season as a Bill was not supposed to be his first season starting, but for the mess that was AJ McCarron and Nate Peterman forcing him into action, when he truly did have no one to throw to. 2019 he had John Brown and Cole Beasely, so I would hardly say he was "without anything even resembling a competent WR" as @Billl states, though he may have been soley referencing 2018.

Edited by transient
  • Like (+1) 1

Deals like this show such little foresight. Is Hopkins currently a HOF'er? I would say no. 1 Super Bowl and all of a sudden he is. Over the course of their life don't you think a HOF'er easily makes up the $ difference between signing with a good team and a bad team? Appearances, media deals, endorsements etc. Seems like a no brainer to me. We will never hear from Hopkins again now

4 hours ago, Doc said:

Dang, forgot about Levis.  That's 2-day 2 QBs they've taken in successive drafts.

I kinda like it. who knows (doubtful) it works out, but something we shouldve been doing during the drought! this type of strategy couldve easily landed us russell wilson. that said **** the titans. not cause of DH or their drafts, just cause i truly hate that team!

3 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I looked at the Chiefs salary cap table. No you can't.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/cap/

MVS is the only obvious choice but his dead cap hit is almost equivalent to his cap hit, and they signed him last year.

I chose Poyer, Hines, and Settle as my Bills examples because they are all players who were seen as reasonable candidates to cut or let walk heading into the offseason. Beane instead chose to bring them all back. With Hines and Settle he unwisely gave them pay cuts instead of cutting them outright and letting them find out for themselves how poor their market would be.

Gabe Davis had critical drops in each of the 3 regular season games we lost last year. Miami he dropped a TD, NYJ he dropped a critical 3rd down and dropped the final 4th and forever bomb, Minnesota I admittedly don't remember his drop but he is recorded as having a drop in that game.

If any one of those catches is made, we are likely the #1 seed last year even accounting for everything else that went wrong.

Of course there were multiple reasons that we lost games last year, but in Hopkins we had a realistic way of immediately fixing one of those problems. Pointing out other flaws on the team last year adds nothing to the conversation.

It's possible we can still get to the Super Bowl with Davis as the #2 target, but such a feat hasn't been accomplished in at least the last 6 seasons.

You're really going out of your way on this:

1. Hines and Settle: didn't both these guys carry cap hits if cut?  Do you recall the savings?  Which players do we target to replace them, what would have been their cap hits VS these 2 players?

2. Poyer: very few thought we'd be able to resign him, then when we did, most thought his cap hits were good values.  He and Hyde formed a top 5 safety tandem, and when Jordan missed games LY, we were a different defense.  He's worth the value he brings, and leadership in the secondary.

3. KC: you can't give them the benefit of the doubt with MVS contract (dead cap), then not Buffalo.  Beane made decisions on all players you mentioned, before Dhop became a FA. 

4. Gabe: all games you mentioned were lost for several reasons, to pin it on a Gabe drop is just a vendetta. 

a. Miami: heat exhaustion, OL played on 

a torn ACL, etc. End of half and game           clock mgt

b. Jets: Josh worst game of season. Dline (as I mentioned) got ran over, Jaquan missed several key tackles that would ha e stopped drives, OL surrenders pressure all game/sacks on mostly 4 man rushes.

c. Vikings: you really think Gabe cost us this game.  This is definition of having a vendetta and focusing on 1 player.  Our defense gave up several "game changing" plays, from Cam Lewis to poor tackling, and then the QB sneak that blew the game.

You're being unrealistic/biased in your opinion.  And who cares if we clinched the #1 seed LY, we were destined to be defeated by either Cincy or KC in the AFCCG, if we even got past Jacksonville. 

Our play in the trenches almost cost us Miami game in December and playoffs, not to mention the losses to Jets and Bengals (playoffs).  We aren't winning a SB until we get better up front, which is why Beane has spent the resources he has to get better there.  Now, go ahead and debate his choices, which haven't been great, but he's focused on the right area of need(s).

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.