1/15/2023 Wildcard Weekend - Dolphins @ Bills - Post Game Thread

BuffaloBill

6 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I am in the minority here. I liked the long passes vs their cover 0 coverage. You have to trust your QB to make that throw and the WR to make a play. Additionally, I want a more explosive quick striking offense. The real issue today was execution. 

You have a point here and if Kalil catches that 54yard dime from Allen late in the 1st half the Bills would have likley gone up 24 - 9 going into the locker room.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Sorry, but Solak lost his chance to have his takes taken seriously when he called Allen “a parody of a first round pick” and said that if he succeeded as a QB it would overturn math itself, or words to that effect.   Pretty sure that was Solak.

He’s not entirely wrong at the aggregate level. But the reason the Bills took him so high is probably the interview and chalkboard process he showed how much of an elite competitor and worker he was. Josh has done EXCEPTIONALLY well in remaking himself as a QB, all because of his rare drive to be great. 

Conventionally speaking, Allen was a bad college QB on a not very good college team. Him making it like this is why someone like Will Levis is going to be taken in the first round, and it absolutely overturned the math on drafting QBs.

Allen is an exception to everything we know about QBs. You don’t go from a 50% college QB to a 65% NFL QB. You just don’t. Yet Allen has done it 

5 minutes ago, Baba Booey said:

Guys, Josh has Regressed!!! I know he had some drops, but one series explains it all. 1st and 10. Two bombs and a missed throw with game on line. Just not smart, panics when it comes down to it. So many missed throws, the third down to Shakir open over the middle. Over throws him. We are kidding ourselves to even put him anywhere near Mahomes of for that matter Burrow. Bengals smoke us next week!!  I didn’t know Daboll would mean that much

Whatever man.

God-King Xerxes, I mean Burrow, threw for 215 yards last week on 42 attempts. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Thank you.  I was going to reply the same exact thing.

I'm sounding like a broken record now but it's not going to change on the offense.  It's bombs away and the Bills will win or lose with it.

Knowing this is the game plan will make me feel better next week.  I won't yell at the TV no more.

yeah right 🤣

1 minute ago, WIDE LEFT said:

McD cements himself as being the worst game manager in NFL playoffs. Twice he called timeouts negating successful plays by the offense and defense. Actually did same thing last week. Just listened to his press conference. Not one coward in WNY media dared to ask him about his terrible timeout calls

JERRY JERRY JERRY! 

celebrate jerry jerry jerry GIF by The Jerry Springer Show

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Not went up by three, late in the fourth quarter. Take short passes and runs, bring the defense up, and then play it long. If the Bills are chasing the game, then yes. Circumstances didn't ask for it today.

I get that and it's valid. However, I prefer an assertive offense. The second pass should have been a TD to Davis. Josh overthrew him. You gotta believe that Allen can execute that play. 

Edited by newcam2012

6 minutes ago, Baba Booey said:

Guys, Josh has Regressed!!! I know he had some drops, but one series explains it all. 1st and 10. Two bombs and a missed throw with game on line. Just not smart, panics when it comes down to it. So many missed throws, the third down to Shakir open over the middle. Over throws him. We are kidding ourselves to even put him anywhere near Mahomes of for that matter Burrow. Bengals smoke us next week!!  I didn’t know Daboll would mean that much

Just plain wrong!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

As I said in another thread, if we lose that game Mc Dermott deserves to be fired!! To lose a game where you are playing a third string rookie QB, is in unacceptable and deserves to be dealt with. Buffalo survives one more week but we will not go past next week. His coach today was disasterous!!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Angry 1
  • Disagree 2

A thing to remember - it's only about the W. Stafford threw a game ending/season ending INT with 2 mins left vs SF last year and the DB dropped it.  Next thing you know, Rams win the SB

Survive ...move on.  I didn't die today, though, I felt it was close, so that's a good thing.  Next up

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, WideNine said:

We have receivers that can win those quick routes, and when Allen leaves the pocket often you will see Cook or Motor just standing in no man's land ready to take a shovel pass past the sticks.

Dorsey needs to scheme more of the former, and Allen has got to look at doing more of the latter.

If nothing more dumping those off to his RBs with no one around them not only will move the sticks, it will save Allen from unnecessary hits.

I Hear No Lies

8 minutes ago, appoo said:

Mostly I was to. Just not in the 4th quarter with a lead. I mean I almost through a major hissy fit on that long ball to Shakir on 3rd and 1, half way into the 4th.

This ain’t madden. Those plays are really hard to complete 

You have an elite QB and I think it's reasonable to infer he should execute those plays. That's what elite means. The more difficult play to execute is the 4th down play to Beasley. 

If he suspected we didn’t have the right coverage over top for whatever reason on the 4th down he was right because the WR got behind everyone.  

Tyreek Hill has this staff forever shook.  Maybe it’s bc Poyer is hurt and we have Marlowe back there he’s being cautious.  Idk. 

I didn’t like it either.  But it led to Miami punting.  

Much more confused by the 3 play calls for us that followed it.  

5 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

McD cements himself as being the worst game manager in NFL playoffs. Twice he called timeouts negating successful plays by the offense and defense. Actually did same thing last week. Just listened to his press conference. Not one coward in WNY media dared to ask him about his terrible timeout calls

The second one was necessary. The D was nowhere near set. Don't judge it by outcome. That was on Skylar. If he reads that right he throws a touchdown.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I get it that the game was a nail biter. I was convinced, late in the 4th quarter, that they would lose.

But the Bills played far from their best game, turned the ball over three times, and still scored 34 points.

Those calling for Dorsey’s head are hysterical.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

No.  

This is what the Dolphins do.  They just dialed it up more.  Teams just don’t change their stripes.  Plus they all know you just can’t count on turnovers and from here on out - we won’t be seeing Skylar Thompson.  

I disagree, this is playoffs, this is where good teams dial up packages you weren't expecting them to come at you with, especially defense. 

Dolphins just had success for a 3rd time blitzing Allen. The bills and Allen have struggled much more this season when josh has been excellent in years passed. Granted not every team we face will have the Dolphins mind set of nothing to lose and probably wont sell out on the blitz like the dolphins today, unless its the ravens who love to blitz. But teams will definitely dial up more blitz packages especially on 3rd down against the bills seeing how brown and saffold got eaten alive and josh hasn't been taking check downs when available, though they weren't as available due to keeping the RB in to protect.

Until josh continously connects on deep balls and burns a defense too many times (which can very well happen) the blue print of blitz and sacrifice the deep ball worked to almost beat the bills with an inferior team.

1 minute ago, Baba Booey said:

As I said in another thread, if we lose that game Mc Dermott deserves to be fired!! To lose a game where you are playing a third string rookie QB, is in unacceptable and deserves to be dealt with. Buffalo survives one more week but we will not go past next week. His coach today was disasterous!!

Even I'm saying calm down. Just a terrible game all around.   However the Bills survived.

The good news for me is I'll be watching very little ESPN or listening to the radio. Just an ugly ugly game

3 minutes ago, Baba Booey said:

Pet Carrol just lost to a 3rd stringer. Fire him?

4 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

It's only a problem when the telly starts answering back.

That's not a problem.  If that happens then they have to take me away.

1 minute ago, blizzardman said:

yeah right 🤣

You can bank on it.  It's their game plan and I'm going to live with it.

Go Bills.

3 minutes ago, Baba Booey said:

Sure, lets fire the coach that has taken us to the playoffs in 5 of the last 6 years and has Won the AFC East 3X in a row.  Brilliant...

I had no problem with either of those time outs..defense was out of position and confused on both plays.  Bad luck was that Miami ran some bonehead plays anyway.

What would have been much more egregious would have been if McD had seen the confused defense and NOT called the time out, and Miami had a big play as a result

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.