1/15/2023 Wildcard Weekend - Dolphins @ Bills - Post Game Thread

BuffaloBill

1 minute ago, Best Williams Available said:

Why was this not open all day? When the camera showed behind LOS shots our WRs are running deep almost every time. Maddening.

There were several attempts by Allen where he had to change the trajectory on shorter throws because DLmen wereq in his face and affected the throw. Also, it’s common to have a couple longer routes in order to clear the shorter areas. I’ll bet Josh and Co. are gonna smack themselves in the head while watching the film tomorrow because there were plays to be made on those shallower routes. 

• Like (+1) 1

That’s eight! Eight! Eight wins in a row! The bottom line is we totally outplayed them. The only reason it was close is because of turnovers and resulting good field position for Miami. If I remember correctly, they only had one long sustained drive. For the last eight games nits are relentlessly picked by so many posters. The reality of the situation is, how this game went down has no bearing whatsoever on how they will play in the next game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

They did have some success today, but against a third stringer starting a playoff game on the road you would hope for SOME success. 

Dolphins pass rush was consistently relentless and overall much stronger than ours. If we had played to that level, it would be more in line with the expectations from the investments we’ve made in the d line, imo. 

The Dolphins blitzed heavy like they always do. That's why we took so many deep throws 1 on 1.

Can't say they won with the DL besides a handful of plays

Just now, newcam2012 said:

I am in the minority here. I liked the long passes vs their cover 0 coverage. You have to trust your QB to make that throw and the WR to make a play. Additionally, I want a more explosive quick striking offense. The real issue today was execution. 

Mostly I was to. Just not in the 4th quarter with a lead. I mean I almost through a major hissy fit on that long ball to Shakir on 3rd and 1, half way into the 4th.

This ain’t madden. Those plays are really hard to complete 

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

I am in the minority here. I liked the long passes vs their cover 0 coverage. You have to trust your QB to make that throw and the WR to make a play. Additionally, I want a more explosive quick striking offense. The real issue today was execution. 

Not went up by three, late in the fourth quarter. Take short passes and runs, bring the defense up, and then play it long. If the Bills are chasing the game, then yes. Circumstances didn't ask for it today.

Guys, Josh has Regressed!!! I know he had some drops, but one series explains it all. 1st and 10. Two bombs and a missed throw with game on line. Just not smart, panics when it comes down to it. So many missed throws, the third down to Shakir open over the middle. Over throws him. We are kidding ourselves to even put him anywhere near Mahomes of for that matter Burrow. Bengals smoke us next week!!  I didn’t know Daboll would mean that much

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

I agree.

Our media and National Media are obsessed with interceptions, but a couple of those balls get caught and Allen is close to 400-yards passing. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I agree they'd have a different plan but what the heck were they planning today? A 3rd string QB with no threat of a real running game. Give tua the ball in the field position that Buffalo gave them and some of those FG would be TDs. 

They were planning to beat them 55-3.

2 minutes ago, Malazan said:

The problem was the offense didn't take their foot off the gas. They kept trying to deep play after play. 

Thank you.  I was going to reply the same exact thing.

I'm sounding like a broken record now but it's not going to change on the offense.  It's bombs away and the Bills will win or lose with it.

Knowing this is the game plan will make me feel better next week.  I won't yell at the TV no more.

2 minutes ago, appoo said:

They were and they evidence is how poorly Thompson’s completion % was. He completed just 40% of his passes. A big part of that was the Dline moving home and forcing him out of his conventional reads. 

Partly true. I also think that's because he's not very good. 

4 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

and they show Leslie on the sideline, his winter hat all discombobulated and he just got that 13 seconds look on his face lol. i don't mean to rag on the guy but damn you just wonder how much is scheme vs talent on defense, and then crazy Dorsey in the booth, JA needs a steady hand at times. Go Bills i hope these coordinators pull it together and coach a great game the next few weeks and Mcdermott doesn't coach scared in the big moment and manages the clock and his timeouts/challenges effectively, or he is not getting past his mentor Andy Reid. Go Bills!!!

I'm games that the players are playing at full potential, the coaches look good right? But when the games are intense and close we really start to see how underwhelming they really are (or can be). Bad time outs. Leaving we wide open all over on 3rd and longs or 4th and kings. We've got talent, coaching is wasting it. Just my opinion which I'm sure is wrong to many. 

33 minutes ago, appoo said:

lot of truth to this. Think Josh needs to be better/quicker in going from home run to check down

Sorry, but Solak lost his chance to have his takes taken seriously when he called Allen “a parody of a first round pick” and said that if he succeeded as a QB it would overturn math itself, or words to that effect.   Pretty sure that was Solak.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Miami: 231 yards of offense. QB held to a 44.7 QB Rating. 4 turnovers on offense. 
And somehow people find a way to blame Leslie Frazier?

I have a theory on this.  The defense, in spite of mostly great stats, is playing as frustratingly inconsistently as the offense is. Holding the Dolphins to a couple of hundred yards and forcing a couple of FG's on short fields was a big plus but:

*  Giving up a 4th & 8 when the Bills led 17 -3.  Make that stop and the Bills start rolling again with the ball at midfield.

*  Giving up a 3rd & 19 in the first half.

*  After playing lights out and getting a TO the D allows a 75 yard TD drive in the 4th quarter after the Bills had opened up a 10 point lead.

*  Giving up a 3rd & 10 late in the game when they had the Fish pinned deep in their pwn territory.

This mirrors an offense that scored 34 points, gained over 400 yards and roared out to a 17 - 0 and then turned the ball over 3 times!  A dropped pass that was an easy catch kept the Bills from taking a 24 - 9 lead at half.  So like the defense the O's inconsistency combines great plays and series with head scratching screw-ups. In the end the Bills have won most of these games but it's damn frustrating to watch.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, newcam2012 said:

Partly true. I also think that's because he's not very good. 

Definitely partly that. But my thing is that any random NFL QB can complete 55% given decent protection. Especially with the weapons he has on O with this roster.

Also should be noted that he had a few drops though.

Just now, gomper said:

Let's be honest. If they play like this next week, it's over. This team has a piece missing mentally. 

Or maybe they've been through an inordinate amount of unusual stress this season and emotionally and mentally it caught up with them. They seem pretty tough to me. I'm guessing next week we see a much better performance.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

We just won bc a ref called a first down on what clearly wasn’t. The bengals will kill us with that performance 

If you were looking at the imaginary line on the TV, yes, he was short, but the sticks were actually almost a half yards behind that line.

Motor was right at the line and there's no was replay reverses the call on the field.

But yes, the Bills need to clean up the mistakes. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Miami blitzed a lot and the Bills essentially had no hot route. I guess the hot route is chucking it 50 yards.

Quick slants to Beas or Diggs...high percentage throws.  

Not sure what they were doing today.

We have receivers that can win those quick routes, and when Allen leaves the pocket often you will see Cook or Motor just standing in no man's land ready to take a shovel pass past the sticks.

Dorsey needs to scheme more of the former, and Allen has got to look at doing more of the latter.

If nothing more dumping those off to his RBs with no one around them not only will move the sticks, it will save Allen from unnecessary hits.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

McD cements himself as being the worst game manager in NFL playoffs. Twice he called timeouts negating successful plays by the offense and defense. Actually did same thing last week. Just listened to his press conference. Not one coward in WNY media dared to ask him about his terrible timeout calls

• Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Thank you.  I was going to reply the same exact thing.

I'm sounding like a broken record now but it's not going to change on the offense.  It's bombs away and the Bills will win or lose with it.

Knowing this is the game plan will make me feel better next week.  I won't yell at the TV no more.

It's only a problem when the telly starts answering back.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Success said:

We'll be playing after January 20th.  Any one of us would have taken that 5 years ago, and been pretty stoked about it.

The difference is 5-25 years ago this team sucked, now they are loaded with talent.  The team and fans should have lofty expectations.  This game did not meet anybody’s expectations as far as on the field play.  The result was a W but it was as ugly as they come.  

I’m just happy we’re at a point as a franchise where we can complain about how terrible we are after a playoff win.   On to the divisional round.   It wasn’t pretty but I don’t care what anyone says,   McDermott is the guy that will take us to the promise land. Maybe not this year but it’s going to happen.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I'm games that the players are playing at full potential, the coaches look good right? But when the games are intense and close we really start to see how underwhelming they really are (or can be). Bad time outs. Leaving we wide open all over on 3rd and longs or 4th and kings. We've got talent, coaching is wasting it. Just my opinion which I'm sure is wrong to many. 

not so sure you are wrong, we gonna find out next week

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.