Chicago— New Stadium Renderings

Miyagi-Do Karate

As renderings go, this is a great pitch. But isn't this old? Bears are leaving because capacity is too low and they want to buy up the real estate surrounding area near the proposed new stadium and do what Packers are doing and What Pats have already done in Foxborough...Braves in Cobb County. Etc. Suck in as much revenue as possible.

3 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

As renderings go, this is a great pitch. But isn't this old? Bears are leaving because capacity is too low and they want to buy up the real estate surrounding area near the proposed new stadium and do what Packers are doing and What Pats have already done in Foxborough...Braves in Cobb County. Etc. Suck in as much revenue as possible.

I drove past Foxboro a couple months ago. I saw two hotels and a strip mall. Impressive really.

Granted, it's two more hotels and 1 more strip mall more than OP has built at the stadium in 50 years but whatever. There wasn't a specific reason to stop. What Denver is doing around Mile High was more impressive but it's also way closer to downtown than either OP or Foxboro.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, That's No Moon said:

I drove past Foxboro a couple months ago. I saw two hotels and a strip mall. Impressive really.

Granted, it's two more hotels and 1 more strip mall more than OP has built at the stadium in 50 years but whatever. There wasn't a specific reason to stop. What Denver is doing around Mile High was more impressive but it's also way closer to downtown than either OP or Foxboro.

The idea is to buy up everything in the surrounding area and monetize it. Long Term. Bears leaving Soldier Field less than 2 decades after it was rebuilt for them kind of a bad look. But thats why they are doing it.$$

Pretty cool for Chi-town.

And yep,  Our new stadium in Orchard Park will always be a monument to the Bills,  in the middle of nowhere really, with no hotels or retail surrounding it.  The venue will be used 10 times a year,, with maybe a few high school games added and a summer concert.  We will still freeze our asses off for winter games but hey, at least it will

have wind buffer technology around it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Man with No Name said:

aren't they 100% committed to leaving the city? 

Pretty much, yes. The City of Chicago would cost a ton more in leasing & taxes. The potential new site is in Arlington Heights, one of the northern suburbs.

I don't even think they could get those renovations approved with Soldier Field being a historical landmark.

7 minutes ago, 947 said:

Pretty much, yes. The City of Chicago would cost a ton more in leasing & taxes. The potential new site is in Arlington Heights, one of the northern suburbs.

I don't even think they could get those renovations approved with Soldier Field being a historical landmark.

But but but the historical architecture gets absorbed into a high-end club bar. The poors never really appreciated the neoclassical, Doric columns anways...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, TH3 said:

I go to a game a year...to see the game...not for amenities blah blah blah...I sit at Rich and don't see how it can get better by any real measure other than having bigger bathrooms...

Really????  Bathrooms are the only issue at Highmark???  Talk about low standards.

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

I had no reason to stop so I made one. Pulled up the shout song on YouTube and played it at full blast while I drove laps around the parking lot. We ended up going to eat at one of the restaurants and watch Thursday night football. 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Bah.  Who needs that stuff.  There's a perfectly good Red Carpet Inn across the street for $700/night most game nights.  They don't even charge extra for the pet cockroaches.     

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

It is a neat presentation

But man, everything looks and feels like it is a large airport.  Soul-less, colorless pile of blah.  Trying to get as many people away from their seats as possible to head to baggage claim or check their fantasy teams or whatever

I was curious how many people are going to be dining out at a table during the game....

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Great line from the Sun-Times: “Unlike the Bears offense last Sunday, we’ll pass.”

Another tidbit from that article I didn’t know: “Current NFL rules require a Super Bowl host stadium to have a capacity of at least 70,000 seats.”

Edited by Rubes
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Chicago's aiming for a world-class facility, and it has the history to back up its claim to that status.  Buffalo is much smaller and is not a world-class city.  I think I'm just being realistic here, not trying to cut down my home town.  

As to putting the new stadium in OP, a small part of that is to enable fanatical tailgaters to continue their parties, and that's fine.  A bigger part, I think, is money, and another bigger part is time.  Putting the stadium downtown would have required far more time to coordinate and fight lawsuits from who knows where -- but there would be lots.  And money to open up a good space for the stadium and parking, and to redo the infrastructure (roads, highways, water, sewer) would have busted the budget.

Someone in Chicago spent a lot of money for that great visualization.  Maybe that was a good investment, to get the city behind the proposed changes, but Buffalo would dismiss such an exorbitant dream as crazy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I believe the Powers to Be in planning and approving the new WNY stadium made an economic blunder by not putting the stadium in downtown Buffalo. In my opinion, the ancillary economic benefit of the stadium would have been much greater for WNY in the downtown location than in Orchard Park.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, gjv said:

I believe the Powers to Be in planning and approving the new WNY stadium made an economic blunder by not putting the stadium in downtown Buffalo. In my opinion, the ancillary economic benefit of the stadium would have been much greater for WNY in the downtown location than in Orchard Park.

and 70 % of the fans would of been pissed because traffic and the lack of the type of tailgating they are used to you would not get in the city.

not to mention buiding it in Buffalo stil adds probably $500 million is costs to update the area to handle 60000 people.. Not to mention all those houses you would have kick/buy people out of to make it happen.. I'm positive they did many studies and they all showed that the increased investment could not be recouped with a dome or a city Stadium

Edited by ddaryl

21 minutes ago, gjv said:

Well, they did an actual economic study on it.

Where's your report?

• Like (+1) 1

We are still looking at this all wrong.

We SHOULD have a domed stadium, because then we can put solar panels all over that sucker and have it be an energy self-sufficient meeting place for sports and entertainment.

If we heat the heck out of the dome the water runoff from all the snow can be recycled and also stored for cooling the place during the summer months.  

All the feces and waste during and after events can also be retooled into energy.

Jeepers, why the heck is it always my job to come up with these great ideas?

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Haha (+1) 2

I don't get this modern trend of making the stadium about anything and everything OTHER than a place to watch a football game.

Who the hell is going to go in there to "hang out" while a football game is going on?

Who is going to go in there to hang out while a football game is NOT going on?

If only this country spent as much time and money on our roads and bridges.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.