Carr Benched. Stidham Starting Rest of Season

wjag

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

To me this screams Tom Brady and his image police.  Vegas is probably his top destination but he doesn’t want to get (more of) a reputation for openly stealing others’ jobs.  Now that seat is open and he’s free to go sit in it as if it were just some big coincidence.

Tom Brady, or any other QB outside of maybe the top 3 in football, isn’t saving the Raiders. They're devoid of talent on the defense and the OL. I feel the same way when people bring up Brady returning to the Pats. At this point in his career he isn't going to elevate a team.

• Agree 1

I’m curious if Carr’s lack of shine in this offense is because of the route development. Not many big names were developed or had success in New England. Edelman and Gronk carried that offense for years. Doing simple reads to get open, while other guys with skill, had limited to no success. 

Maybe I’m reaching, but Carr has always been on the edge of being in the top tier of QB’s, and this new offense (with an Elite WR) has died on the vine. To me, that’s on the guy with the headset. 

• Like (+1) 4

I wonder if they can get any trade value for him. 

I mean if everyone knows he will be cut, the only teams that will pay via trade are the ones that would be scared they can't court him on the open market 

If I was a raiders fan I wouldn't be happy with the front office playing their hand face up

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

I wonder if they can get any trade value for him. 

I mean if everyone knows he will be cut, the only teams that will pay via trade are the ones that would be scared they can't court him on the open market 

If I was a raiders fan I wouldn't be happy with the front office playing their hand face up

What trade value?? The 2022 deadline is past. The 2023 starts 3/15 and the Raiders would have to pick up his 2023 $40m contract in February. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MarkyMannn said:

What trade value?? The 2022 deadline is past. The 2023 starts 3/15 and the Raiders would have to pick up his 2023 $40m contract in February. 

Ahhh yeah that makes sense then.  And since the raiders can't afford to pick up his contract probably, then the cats out of the bag anyway. Makes sense. 

3 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I think it is.  Yes, if  Carr was playing well and this team was 9-6 he would likely be playing this week and the following. 

But since the above is not true, they are sitting him to avoid a $40M hit.

No one with a straight face can say Stidham gives them a better chance to win. 

McDaniels was with the Pats when they drafted Stidham so he has familiarity with him, but, yeah, it’s all about Carr’s contract.

3 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

That's not quite accurate.

If Carr were playing well and the Raiders viewed him as their QB of the present and future, the team wouldn't be benching him, regardless of any financial considerations.

From what I understand, the Raiders are a poverty organization, and it wouldn’t surprise me if 5is was indeed largely based on the financials 

Weird....... It's like Carr has missed Waller and Renfro, who both missed a chunk of the season. It's like McDaniels had a HC gig before, and failed miserably at it then also. Carr isn't a bad QB, he's just not an elite QB. His OL can't really pass block, his defense can't stop a nosebleed (outside of what Crosby brings to the table), and his HC is another retread bum. 

4 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

That's not quite accurate.

If Carr were playing well and the Raiders viewed him as their QB of the present and future, the team wouldn't be benching him, regardless of any financial considerations.

Not just a financial move, also a CYA move by McDanials to buy more time to retain his job. Scapegoat move by that loser Coach.

50 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

Ahhh yeah that makes sense then.  And since the raiders can't afford to pick up his contract probably, then the cats out of the bag anyway. Makes sense. 

Carr also has a Full No Trade clause in his contract.  It kind of forces LV to keep him or let him go.

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure another team jumps on his contract via trade if they feel he will just be released.  Has a 40 million guarantee after the season.

I don’t think he is a top tier QB. Next tier, for sure. Feel the Raiders are making a terrible decision here.  If it’s all about Davis not having the money, then he’s lucky to get out at a young age.

• Agree 1

meh,  Adams wanted to get paid,  it wasnt going to happen in Green Bay with the Pack having to give Arod half the salary cap to keep him around.   add in that Adams didnt want to get stuck in Packland when Rodgers finally f's  off out of there,  which i imagine will be shortly.    im sure Arod told Adams that he didnt know how much longer he was going to play,  so Adams got out of there while he could.   just business.     Adams took a chance to play with his college roomate,  someplace where he'd feel comfortable,  got paid in the process.  he knew what he was getting into,  the Raiders are going to be the Raiders,   like usual.    you dont go there if you want to win.   

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Davis is nearly broke, relatively speaking vis a via other owners. The money usually doesn’t matter for owners, but in the case of the Raiders, it does.

Yup. 

If I’m carr I’m ready to bounce, I could definitely see the jets making a move. And I doubt it wound happen but the 49ers with Shanahan , and that defense and running game. 

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I'm concerned Carr will get traded to Miami, NYJ, or NE. He's much better than people let on

Don’t worry about them trading for him - that would be helpful because they would be picking up a huge contract and giving draft capital.

He most likely will not be traded for multiple reasons:

1st he has a No Trade Clause meaning he gets to decide where to get traded.

2nd We are past the trade deadline for this year - so it would have to happen after the open of the 2023 NFL season in March.

3rd His 40 million guaranteed contract kicks in 3 days post Super Bowl - so if the Raiders don’t cut him before that - he costs the Raiders a ton of Money and cap space with dead cap hits even if traded.

The only way he gets traded is if he agrees to a bunch Raider requests to waive the No Trade Clause, and postpone the start of his contract until after the start of the new league year and you have a team that has the draft capital and the willingness to take on the huge contract.

I would be significantly more worried those teams or many others are going to get Carr for a much better contract (about 1/2 his current deal) and not have to give up capital - just guarantee his contract - after he gets cut in a few weeks.

Edited by Rochesterfan

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Agree.  I don't get the HC carousel.  They should have let Bisaccia have a chance.

The team played well for him last year.

I thought the same thing. They played inspired for him.  They could have built on that.   Now Davis might be stuck with McDaniels, he's cash poor and is still on the hook for Gruden

• Agree 1

Well, the 2023 salary is fully guaranteed for injury, so if they send him out there for nothing and he gets hurt, they are in the hook.  He has a no trade clause, so he’s going to get cut between now and 2/14/23. They are out basically completely free. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.