Josh Allen: Are His Fumbles an Issue?

Gugny

5 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

no

I agree with you for now.  I just think it would behoove the Bills, whether it's Allen, the line, the center, or those taking handoffs, to clean it up before the post-season.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Allen almost never fumbles while running anymore. Used to happen regularly, I can't remember the last time he did while out in the open field running.

He fumbled running last week.

1 hour ago, 947 said:

Yeah, the shovel pass to McKenzie when he wasn't looking counts as one of Josh's "fumbles".

So does the bad snap vs Minnesota. And there was at least one that was a miscommunication on a RPO handoff.

What bad snap against Minnesota? Allen fumble was a perfect snap. Allen just blew it.

Not buying this Morse is out nonsense. Allen is a ProQB and these are professional linemen. There is no excuse for a bad snap and exchange, ever. Practice it every day with Morse and the backups. Pretty simple.

7 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

And he really should have fumbled another time when he tried to swim the ball over a defensive player with one hand in a desperate attempt to score (I think this may have been the play before the Knox TD).  He's much much better than he was during his first two seasons, but that reckless streak hasn't been completely tamped down.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBear said:

And he really should have fumbled another time when he tried to swim the ball over a defensive player with one hand in a desperate attempt to score (I think this may have been the play before the Knox TD).  He's much much better than he was during his first two seasons, but that reckless streak hasn't been completely tamped down.

He's been reckless with the ball all year. Probably 8 dropped INTs this year. 

This team would be lucky to have 4 wins without him. When he plays under control he is the MVP and best player in the league. 

Just wish Dorsey could dial up some easy early down completions more frequently.  

• Like (+1) 1

I don't believe it has been an issue hardly at all.  From my perspective I hadn't noticed many fumbles that he has had on the run, a few on the snap and a few in the pocket.

He's a beast and I can live with the handful of fumble turnovers for all the positives that come out of him either extending plays from the pocket, outside of the pocket and running the ball down the field.

• Like (+1) 1

Any QB that runs as much as Josh has to be aware of ball security. I don’t feel it’s been a real issue because other than the fumble at the goal line against Minn, the fumbling has not been a determinant in our losses. The strip sacks are a product of missed protection assignments by O-lineman and are judged fumbles. I trust Josh, after 2 turnovers ball security will be priority.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Josh Allen's fumbles (fumbles lost) by season:

2018: 8 (2)

2019: 14 (5)

2020: 9 (6)

2021: 8 (3)

2022: 12 (5)

Josh is currently on pace to have 15 regular season fumbles.  

I know the O Line is trash and I believe that's a huge factor.  I don't know what the split is between the strip sacks and the ones that are popped out during a run/scramble.

It's great that he's been much better/smarter with his passes and the INTs have cooled significantly.  But he needs to protect the ball better in the pocket and whilst running.

We can't give teams extra chances on offense in the playoffs.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/fumbles

1Justin Fields 15

1Matt Ryan 15

3Josh Allen 12

4Trevor Lawrence 9

4Jalen Hurts 9

6Marcus Mariota 8

6Kyler Murray 8

8Geno Smith 7

8Aaron Rodgers 7

8Baker Mayfield 7

*** EDIT *** @Beck Water does a great job categorizing Allen's 2022 fumbles on Page 2.

No.

• Like (+1) 1

I am just glad Josh Allen is playing. If Case Keenum has to ever play the Buffalo Bills season is over for that year until the next season Josh Allen is healthy. That will be like that for the next 10 years. Wake up Bills fans look about Case Keenum is an old man football QB wise unless you are Tom Brady or George Blanda they were the exception not the rule. Look at the Pittsburgh Steelers without QB Ben Roelisburger who retired some Steelers fans got what they wanted. Enjoy the Steelers potentially being in the hunt like the Bills were before Josh Allen for the next 17 years. Josh Allen with a bad elbow is better what the Bills can sign backup quarterback wise in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Josh Allen's fumbles (fumbles lost) by season:

2018: 8 (2)

2019: 14 (5)

2020: 9 (6)

2021: 8 (3)

2022: 12 (5)

Josh is currently on pace to have 15 regular season fumbles.  

I know the O Line is trash and I believe that's a huge factor.  I don't know what the split is between the strip sacks and the ones that are popped out during a run/scramble.

It's great that he's been much better/smarter with his passes and the INTs have cooled significantly.  But he needs to protect the ball better in the pocket and whilst running.

We can't give teams extra chances on offense in the playoffs.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/fumbles

1Justin Fields 15

1Matt Ryan 15

3Josh Allen 12

4Trevor Lawrence 9

4Jalen Hurts 9

6Marcus Mariota 8

6Kyler Murray 8

8Geno Smith 7

8Aaron Rodgers 7

8Baker Mayfield 7

*** EDIT *** @Beck Water does a great job categorizing Allen's 2022 fumbles on Page 2.

You know I can't pay attention to anything you say while you're wearing that....

Josh Allen passes the ball a lot and runs the ball a lot. It’s not an understatement to say the offense literally goes through him. Because of that, I fully expect him to have higher turnover numbers than most QBs.

I dont think it’s a matter of Allen being turnover prone but more a product of Allen constantly running this offense like no other QB does in the NFL.

I rarely get that nervous feeling in my gut of “please don’t turn the ball over”. He’s pretty good about it overall. The only nervousness I suffer from Allen is when he runs and decides to go full linebacker mode on opposing players. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

It’s a weakness, but clearly not a dealbreaker. 

im not sure there’s anything to say besides that. 

Clearly this was just a LAMP intended to give the OP a reason to say “whilst”.  He can’t help himself. It’s sad, really. 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

What bad snap against Minnesota? Allen fumble was a perfect snap. Allen just blew it.

Not buying this Morse is out nonsense. Allen is a ProQB and these are professional linemen. There is no excuse for a bad snap and exchange, ever. Practice it every day with Morse and the backups. Pretty simple.

Not in the open field, was in the area between the O and D Lines. I was specifically talking about him being in the open field and fumbling while trying to run over someone

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

It’s a weakness, but clearly not a dealbreaker. 

im not sure there’s anything to say besides that. 

There is a bit more I would add (I agree with you)

If anything, he has clearly shown a desire and ability to fix shortcomings in his game. Consider the INTs this season - 10 in the first 9 games, 1 since. So I expect him to continue to be cognizant of ball security. 

• Agree 1

Josh needs to be better plain and simple.  I feel most of his fumbles have been stripped sacks or fumbled snaps. Against MIA alone I believe he has two strip sack fumbles, two botched snap fumbles and two regular fumbles. That’s SIX right there. It greatly contributed to the first loss against MIA and dang near again in the second game. Obviously the fumbled snap against MINN cost them. I love Josh but just like interceptions he’s got to be better protecting the ball.

2 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

Clearly this was just a LAMP intended to give the OP a reason to say “whilst”.  He can’t help himself. It’s sad, really. 

My Whilst Mission is into its 12th year.  I've made a lot of progress, I'm proud to say.  And thank you for your assistance and your contribution!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Allen almost never fumbles while running anymore. Used to happen regularly, I can't remember the last time he did while out in the open field running.

He had one recovered by Spencer Brown in this last game. I think 4th qtr and could have been devastating. 

9 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

And it never should be coached out of him totally.  The reckless streak that is.

"Necessity is the mother of taking chances." ~Mark Twain

* Dude is such a freak that he is about to smash Dan Marino’s 40 year TD record in the first 5 years!

* He is about to become #10 ALL TIME on the Bills’ Career Rushing Yards list!

* TDs? He is already #3, behind Thurman & OJ!

And on the All Time Passing Yards list? 

* At Season’s end, he may be ranked #120 (Darryl Lamonica) with 19,000 yards

* And will likely reach # 100 All Time in TDs with 142!

I’m good.

The only fumbles I "blame" Josh for are like the one he made on Saturday, right before his 44-yard run.  It was a designed QB run and he had it popped out as he went through the line.  We got lucky Brown recovered it or the game may have been over right there.  That's totally on Josh.

I don't blame him for strip sacks, and I don't blame him fully for botched center exchanges.

Can anyone think of a game (besides Minnesota) in which a Josh fumble lost it for the Bills?  And even in that one, he took us back to get to OT before he threw a bad INT that did lose the game (on a bad elbow).

4 minutes ago, eball said:

The only fumbles I "blame" Josh for are like the one he made on Saturday, right before his 44-yard run.  It was a designed QB run and he had it popped out as he went through the line.  We got lucky Brown recovered it or the game may have been over right there.  That's totally on Josh.

I don't blame him for strip sacks, and I don't blame him fully for botched center exchanges.

Can anyone think of a game (besides Minnesota) in which a Josh fumble lost it for the Bills?  And even in that one, he took us back to get to OT before he threw a bad INT that did lose the game (on a bad elbow).

I don't blame him for most of this year's fumbles.

To your last question ... no - I don't think we've lost a game due to an Allen fumble.  But to my earlier point, that's why I'm saying it's not necessarily a concern right now ... but giving playoff offenses extra chances isn't something anyone wants.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.