Adding a RB

Stokes84

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

What is the obsession with adding RBs when Singletary is playing perfectly fine?  Is this like a Fred Jackson thing?  Every year there is someone they are trying to replace him with?

Case of the…..

Shinny

High

Impact

Toy

Syndrome

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not really. What actually happened is that KC pulled back into a deep cover 2 shell for most of the 1st half. That coverage makes it easy to run the ball. Our run blocking was also the best it looked all year. Those two factors meant easy opportunities for Singletary. And good for him that he took advantage of those opportunities and forced KC to change their defensive game plan. But the truth is we could get a lot more from the running game if we had a RB with any kind of burst. That's why we drafted Cook in the 2nd round, Beane and the coaches know this.

I would absolutely love Singletary as a 2nd RB. As a workhorse he gives us a decent baseline but zero upside. I hope Cook figures it out soon. He's the kind of RB that could, in theory anyways, punish defenses for conceding the short areas of the field.

If they were in a deep cover 2 and you couldn't find a run game that's when you'd have a problem. Devin is right now contributing all this offence needs in the way of a run game. He's fine as the lead back provided he's good with ball security. The Bills seem to improve their running offence as the year goes on (at least they did last year) and the appear to be doing so again. For his whole career he's been a durable workhorse, including his college days. He's not a game breaker but he's good enuf to keep us from having to pass 60 times a game, which would make that deep cover 2 thing a problem even with Allen, Diggs and Davis.
In an ideal world I too see him best as complementary back to a true # 1, but that guy was not CMC, more like the guy in Indy or even the Jets rook. But those guys are hard to find, especially if you don't take an RB with an early pick in the draft. Even as a passing team we do need to run the ball but I think our RBs are capable of getting the job done.

3 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

With the few touches he gets a game, let's not be claiming he's downright awful at those things either and the only way he's going to grow and get experience is to get more touches.

Agree with what you have said. He needs time and should have some more opportunities as we go forward during the regular season, we also have to watch out for the rookie wall as well. As the playoffs begin and the stakes increase, my desire to see him on the field depends on how well he performs at the pass protection part of the game, cannot afford unnecessary shots on #17 and mental errors from pressure situations creeping up either. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m only concerned about the RB position due to bad weather. Is Moss the guy? Kind of a let down thus far. We need a bruiser that can pound the rock.

I just keep thinking the bad weather wind game last year…. Potential snow etc…. OBJ would be cool, but a short yardage monster would be great!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jwhit34 said:

Singletary is the Bills' RB2, RB1 is Josh Allen, right?

A better run game is a nice to have at this point, not a necessity. If the Bills elevated Duke Johnson, as many have suggested, I would be good with that even if it meant waiving Moss. Antonio Gibson is interesting though. I wonder how willing Beane would be to trade with Washington after the McKissic incident. And I think Cook gets a few more opportunities. With weaker opponents on the horizon (at least on paper), that may present some opportunities for Cook to gain experience. 

yes but ideally we don’t want Josh Allen to be RB 1. I want the guy to be out QB for 12-15 years and not 8-10 cause we buried him in the ground running him 

5 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

What improvement are you expecting? 
He wasn’t even active last game. 
He has a whopping 17 carries this year for 91 yards in 5 games. 16 for 48 if you take away his one long run. 
Those attempts can easily just go to cook/motor if the coaches think Moss is ineffective. 

If you can't see that many players are better at RB than I don't know what to tell you. You're too far gone

9 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

If you can't see that many players are better at RB than I don't know what to tell you. You're too far gone

Sounds a little like someone has a little bias. I never claimed moss to be some premier back. Simply he barely touches the ball. You’re wanting to upgrade 3-5 carries a game. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, starrymessenger said:

If they were in a deep cover 2 and you couldn't find a run game that's when you'd have a problem. Devin is right now contributing all this offence needs in the way of a run game. He's fine as the lead back provided he's good with ball security. The Bills seem to improve their running offence as the year goes on (at least they did last year) and the appear to be doing so again. For his whole career he's been a durable workhorse, including his college days. He's not a game breaker but he's good enuf to keep us from having to pass 60 times a game, which would make that deep cover 2 thing a problem even with Allen, Diggs and Davis.
In an ideal world I too see him best as complementary back to a true # 1, but that guy was not CMC, more like the guy in Indy or even the Jets rook. But those guys are hard to find, especially if you don't take an RB with an early pick in the draft. Even as a passing team we do need to run the ball but I think our RBs are capable of getting the job done.

How good would Breece Hall look in the Bills offense? Easy after the fact. But taking him instead of Elam knowing how good Benford is. Win win. With that said Elam wad the right pick. Just kind of sucks that Cook has really disappointed thus far. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

How good would Breece Hall look in the Bills offense? Easy after the fact. But taking him instead of Elam knowing how good Benford is. Win win. With that said Elam wad the right pick. Just kind of sucks that Cook has really disappointed thus far. 

It is really hard to be a good rookie RB in the Bills offense.  The offense has legitimate stars who have to be fed the ball. I honestly think a great RB would be a problem for the Bills. Too many chefs in the kitchen.  Our offense is a machine the way it is now.  It just needs to execute a little better on a consistent basis. If it does that it can score 40 on anyone.

• Disagree 2

8 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

We have a furnace.  But you running back enthusiasts want a new one because its cold in the house.  Meanwhile all theres a Saffold and Bates sized hole in the roof.

I was thinking the other day... can you imagine josh with no restrictor plate on in a SB game? Dude would throw 350 and rush for 150.

Would be a GD HOUSE FIRE 

8 hours ago, bmur66 said:

If Singletary had to miss some games who would be comfortable with Cook and Moss? 

Yes. Moss getting regular snaps would improve his game. Cook more snaps could create explosive plays( while possibly having PP issues). Motor is underrated.

Duke is a vet if either Moss or Cook struggle or get injured. It’s more OL than RB imho. Expecting Kromer to keep the run game on upswing. 

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We did not lose that NE game because we couldn’t run the ball.  We lost that game because Daboll thought it was best throw the whole game instead of running the ball.  And we also lost because our undersized DL couldn’t stop the run.  

I don’t get why people don’t seem to understand about how you can’t run the ball if you don’t actually run the ball. 

When we focus on involving the run game, we run successfully.  We just don’t run the ball because we Josh Allen is just carving up the NFL.  He’s on pace for the greatest season ever for a QB and utterly shattering the current NFL record by 800 yards right now.

That being said:  Moss sucks.  So if they added another RB as insurance against a Devin injury, then fine.  But we don’t need to give up a solid to premium pick for a RB unless that person was a proven stud and significant upgrade to Devin.  

This is a total mischaracterization of the NE game. Throw the ball all game. Lmao. What did Daboll do to you bro? 

Josh passed 11 times in the first half btw lmao

Edited by FireChans

8 hours ago, MPT said:

The guy averaging 3.0 YPC who quit on his team 5 games into the season? 

@wppete I see you rolling your eyes at me but did I not just describe the Cam Akers that you want? Or is there another Cam Akers out there who isn't totally washed from an Achilles injury and is a team player?

• Eyeroll 1

7 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

Sounds a little like someone has a little bias. I never claimed moss to be some premier back. Simply he barely touches the ball. You’re wanting to upgrade 3-5 carries a game. 

Lmao Moss has been here for 3 years man. Lol. We have had enough of a sample size. He doesn't need to touch the ball anymore 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

This is a total mischaracterization of the NE game. Throw the ball all game. Lmao. What did Daboll do to you bro? 

Josh passed 11 times in the first half btw lmao

No it’s not, you just like to argue non existent points.  In a close game where passing was not working, we threw the ball 19 more times in the second half trying to force the pass as the weather got worse even though we were completing just 50%. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Not really. What actually happened is that KC pulled back into a deep cover 2 shell for most of the 1st half. That coverage makes it easy to run the ball. Our run blocking was also the best it looked all year. Those two factors meant easy opportunities for Singletary. And good for him that he took advantage of those opportunities and forced KC to change their defensive game plan. But the truth is we could get a lot more from the running game if we had a RB with any kind of burst. That's why we drafted Cook in the 2nd round, Beane and the coaches know this.

I would absolutely love Singletary as a 2nd RB. As a workhorse he gives us a decent baseline but zero upside. I hope Cook figures it out soon. He's the kind of RB that could, in theory anyways, punish defenses for conceding the short areas of the field.

What game do you watch where RB's run for "a lot more" than 4.7 yards per carry that Singletary has for his career? 

Jonathon Taylor and Nick Chubb are the absolute best in the business and are career 5.1 and 5.4 yard per carry RB's.

Imagine the impact of 8.4 more yards spread out over ONLY 12 carries from Chubb instead of Motor!

Wait.......how many more touchdowns did we score??  

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Actually the guy that intrigues me at RB is D'Ernest Johnson in Cleveland. He's languishing behind Chubb and Hunt and when given the opportunity has performed well in a poorly run organization. He seems like a process guy and has never had any issues off the field as far as I know.  As a Moss replacement, it might be worth a 6th or 7th.  But I don't think RB is priority one.  I'd like to see us lock in OBJ as our main addition.

If we are going to spend draft picks, I'd take a look at S Jonathan Abrams of the Raiders or Quandre Diggs of the Seahawks.  Solid guys without a big cap hits. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

A couple of options worth exploring are:

1.  improving interior offensive line

2. improving interior offensive line

3. improving interior offensive line

4. improving right tackle

5. improving interior offensive line

Agree. However,  I'm wondering if Brown has a lingering back issue.

28 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

No it’s not, you just like to argue non existent points.  In a close game where passing was not working, we threw the ball 19 more times in the second half trying to force the pass as the weather got worse even though we were completing just 50%. 

Josh had 9 first downs passing. The RB's had 3 first downs between the two of them.

Josh was averaging over 5 YPC. 

The RB's were averaging 3 YPC. 60 yards on 19 carries.  Mr.  "I'm really a good RB I swear" Singletary had 1 carry for 17 yards, then got 19 yards on his next 9.

Our only TD of the game was scored through the air.

But sure. "DaBoLl PaSsEd ToO mUcH!" 

Did Daboll beat you up in high school lmao

Edited by FireChans

13 hours ago, Big Turk said:

What is the obsession with adding RBs when Singletary is playing perfectly fine?  Is this like a Fred Jackson thing?  Every year there is someone they are trying to replace him with?

Come on now you have to admit CMC would of been a huge spark for our team it has nothing to do with Singletary he would of been our tyreek hill.

14 hours ago, Stokes84 said:

Now that McCaffrey is off the market, I think it’s time to get serious about adding a RB.  A lot of people think it’s about replacing or upgrading Singletary, but to me, it’s about making sure we have the horses to win a game like we lost vs. New England last year. If we lose in the playoffs because the wind is gusting 50 mph in January and we can’t pass the ball, we are going to be kicking ourselves for not bolstering this position.  

A couple of options that might be worth exploring:

Antonio Gibson

David Montgomery

James Robinson

I think each could be available for a mid-round pick, and imo it would be totally worth it.

In the last 4 drafts we have spent THREE picks in the first 3 rounds at RB. 

Certain topics on this board over the years become obsessive to the point of being insufferable. 

We need the following statement pinned on the stadium wall:

WE ARE NOT TRADING FOR A RB MID-SEASON WHEN THE TOP 3 PLAYERS WE DRAFTED AT RB ARE ALL HEALTHY. 

Holy smokes people. We average 4.8 YPC with the “bums” we currently have, which is 11th in the NFL. That’s impressive for a team who doesn’t run that much. 

What we do need to improve is our situational rushing - 4th and 1; 3rd and  1; etc. when the defense thinks we’re going to run our OL gets dominated at the LOS and there’s a defender stuffing the RB behind the LOS. We arent going to fix that by throwing another draft pick at the RB position. 

Edited by bobobonators
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

A couple of options worth exploring are:

1.  improving interior offensive line

2. improving interior offensive line

3. improving interior offensive line

4. improving right tackle

5. improving interior offensive line

who was the last meaningful mid season OL move in the league?

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

🎯 

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

🎯

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Josh had 9 first downs passing. The RB's had 3 first downs between the two of them.

The RB's were averaging 3 YPC. 60 yards on 19 carries.  Mr.  "I'm really a good RB I swear" Singletary had 1 carry for 17 yards, then got 19 yards on his next 9.

Join him on the "we didn't run enough and we passed too much" train lol.  Straight to Wrongsville

6 hours ago, Bills2022 said:

It is really hard to be a good rookie RB in the Bills offense.  The offense has legitimate stars who have to be fed the ball. I honestly think a great RB would be a problem for the Bills. Too many chefs in the kitchen.  Our offense is a machine the way it is now.  It just needs to execute a little better on a consistent basis. If it does that it can score 40 on anyone.

If the Bills had an elite RB the coaches would make the right adjustments and play calls. When you are winning their ate never too many cooks in the kitchen. Winning trumps everything. An elite RB would likely make the Bills offense virtually impossible to defend on a consistent basis. I think your logic is off and flawed with respect. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

What are you even talking about anymore?  Lmao

You need a new schtick 

18 hours ago, Stokes84 said:

Now that McCaffrey is off the market, I think it’s time to get serious about adding a RB.  A lot of people think it’s about replacing or upgrading Singletary, but to me, it’s about making sure we have the horses to win a game like we lost vs. New England last year. If we lose in the playoffs because the wind is gusting 50 mph in January and we can’t pass the ball, we are going to be kicking ourselves for not bolstering this position.  

A couple of options that might be worth exploring:

Antonio Gibson

David Montgomery

James Robinson

I think each could be available for a mid-round pick, and imo it would be totally worth it.

Bye week is going to be rough around here…

21 hours ago, bmur66 said:

If Singletary had to miss some games who would be comfortable with Cook and Moss? 

I think Duke would get a shot.

This staff is managing players work load for the long season. I think we see Singletary as the featured back starting in December. Cook will also get a shot after the bye, rookie walls are real. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.