Baldinger did the national radio call - video of them calling the Bills final drive

JÂy RÛßeÒ

I always wondered how play by play guys were so on top of everything, they have some spotter help!

Also, it's so weird to hear how quiet it is inside the booth with commentary, without the stadium track mixed in haha these guys have cool jobs, and it's def not as easy as most ppl would assume

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 8

Just now, newcam2012 said:

That's some good inside look at professionals doing their craft. Thanks. I've never seen it from this perspective. Pretty cool. What a job they have. I know it's not easy but part of me would love to do that. 

I bet it'd be great to experience a game from a call booth. The speed they have to process everything and then convey their thoughts to the public must be manic. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BritBill said:

I bet it'd be great to experience a game from a call booth. The speed they have to process everything and then convey their thoughts to the public must be manic. 

I was really impressed on how they were able to do that. They made it look easy. I like that stat guy raising his hands when the Bills scored. Kind of goes under the radar. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

That's some good inside look at professionals doing their craft. Thanks. I've never seen it from this perspective. Pretty cool. What a job they have. I know it's not easy but part of me would love to do that. 

Honestly, this is a job that would be super stressful for me. But I'm an introvert, so maybe for you outgoing types this would be fun.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

Just now, newcam2012 said:

I was really impressed on how they were able to do that. They made it look easy. I like that stat guy raising his hands when the Bills scored. Kind of goes under the radar. 

The same bloke handing the post-its? I wonder if he's ever tempted to write "I like your tie today" or "Baldy likes you" on them? You could certainly have some fun amongst the organised chaos. 

• Haha (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

I always wondered how play by play guys were so on top of everything, they have some spotter help!

Also, it's so weird to hear how quiet it is inside the booth with commentary, without the stadium track mixed in haha these guys have cool jobs, and it's def not as easy as most ppl would assume

I need a life spotter.

Man, it would have changed so many outcomes for me.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Sal C mentioned that Arrowhead is by far the highest play by play booth in the league.

I’ve never been to Arrowhead, but I’ve heard it is (or was) almost identical to Rich Stadium…both designed and built at the same time, by the same architect…

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Are they really that far away from the action?  I get that they have monitors, but that's a crap view

It looks WAY FARTHER AWAY on that video than in real life! 

TV has a way of making a football field look ENORMOUS.

Edited by Nextmanup

9 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It looks WAY FARTHER AWAY on that video than in real life! 

TV has a way of making a football field look ENORMOUS.

Agreed, but they still seem to be in the upper deck.  That’s not close 

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

Are they really that far away from the action?  I get that they have monitors, but that's a crap view

Agree. They're too insulated from the crowd and the audience at home.

Keep that in mind next time they tell us what a penalty is or isn't or who is having a good game and who isn't. They genuinely might not have any better a vantage point to make that decision than a knowledgeable fan sitting on the couch or in the 100 section. 

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

You have weird things like a super-high play-by-play booth and tiny locker rooms (see McD victory speech) when you have an ancient 50 year old stadium.  Wonder why the league allowed the chiefs to get away with a coat of paint on an ancient stadium rather than force them to build a new one. 

OK, so this is a response to the criticism of the Bills stadium's visitor's locker room.  Of course the visitor's room will be smaller and not as nice as the home room, since the home team uses their room every day.  But the visitor's room ought to meet some kind of league standards for space, showers, toilets, etc.  Whether it's the Bill's stadium or any other, there's no excuse for treating professional athletes in a substandard way.

Having grown up on radio sports I can tell you that the most impressive performance is from hockey play-by-play guys.  The game moves so fast you don't have time to consult your notes or look up a guy's uniform number.  When I was a kid in Rochester the guy doing the Amerks radio was alone in the booth, no color guy.  

If I had to do it I'd have a splitting headache after the first period and maybe a stroke before the end of the second.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Honestly, this is a job that would be super stressful for me. But I'm an introvert, so maybe for you outgoing types this would be fun.

I have trouble sustaining a conversation for more than 45 seconds.  These guys are on point for 60 minutes straight.  

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Having grown up on radio sports I can tell you that the most impressive performance is from hockey play-by-play guys.  The game moves so fast you don't have time to consult your notes or look up a guy's uniform number.  When I was a kid in Rochester the guy doing the Amerks radio was alone in the booth, no color guy.  

If I had to do it I'd have a splitting headache after the first period and maybe a stroke before the end of the second.

Agreed.  I think the horse race guys are amazing too.  100+ horses a day and a different batch of 100 the next.

9 hours ago, Logic said:

Sal C mentioned that Arrowhead is by far the highest play by play booth in the league.

They're high enough that they can see Kauffman Stadium (Home of the Royals) in the background above the highest rows in Arrowhead.

Edited by BLeonard

I listened to Murph’s call of the games key plays and like usual was so disappointed. 

Going from Van Miller to Murph was such a step down that it’s akin to going from Josh Allen to Nate Peterman.

Thank you for posting this. Nice to hear a quality radio play by play of this amazing drive.

9 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I know there is a spotter that works for CBS I believe that lives in downtown Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.