All your juicy Odell Beckham gossip

Simon

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

This doesn't exactly make it sound like the Cowboys are front runners.

Oh Shitts Creek!!!

A prudent Jerry Jones? What kind of bizarro world am I living? A couple options here: 

1. All teams are given pause about OBJ's current and future health. Nobody knows what he can bring to the table, and nobody is going to overpay for that kind of risk. All the OBJ hype is driven by OBJ and his team.

2. Jerry doesn't actually care and is willing to be totally reckless if need be. Could be trying to keep Buffalo and NYG's offers low so we can save a couple of bucks even though he is willing to pay basically whatever. 

13 hours ago, Einstein said:

Feel free to find 3 straight minutes of Diggs drops from this year. You can’t.

27 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Except you can’t. Diggs has about half the drops Davis does, while having WAY more targets.

case noi GIF

Except NO.  He doesn’t have half the drops Davis does.  They both have 6.   Any video put together consisting of Diggs’ 2022 drops and Davis’ 2022 drops will be similar in length.  No one has taken the time to put one together, that’s why we won’t find one.  

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/leaders.asp?type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

Stop making stuff up for the sake of the board. 

37 minutes ago, Einstein said:

As has been mentioned numerous times, drop statistics are not an official stat, are completely unreliable, and are subjective to the person counting the drop.

They say Davis has 6 drops yet he has closed to 15. They also said Kelvin Benjamin only had a few drops when he had over a dozen. Drop stats have always been awful.

The statisticians have obviously missed several Davis drops while not missing any of Diggs’ drops.  👌 

38 minutes ago, Einstein said:

As has been mentioned numerous times, drop statistics are not an official stat, are completely unreliable, and are subjective to the person counting the drop.

They say Davis has 6 drops yet he has closed to 15. They also said Kelvin Benjamin only had a few drops when he had over a dozen. Drop stats have always been awful.

Yeah, this is the NFL. Not every pass is going to drop into your hands like a floating marshmallow while the defender stands from 10 yards away and gives you encouragement.

Its always confused me when people say “it wasn’t a drop, the pass was broken up”. Yes it was. The defenders job is to knock the ball away. The receivers job is to catch the ball despite the defender trying to knock the ball away.

33 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Except you can’t. Diggs has about half the drops Davis does, while having WAY more targets.

It is wild to me that the same person is responsible for both these posts!

You: Stop posting drop statistics, they are useless!!!
Also You: Here are some numbers I made up for drops. Just like the numbers I also hate!!!

13 hours ago, Einstein said:

Diggs has no where near as many drops in my remembrance. The official drop stats are a joke.

At one point in this thread you used your memory as source. Not Youtube or even IG Reels. No All-22. Just your memory. 

What a joke....

29 minutes ago, nbbillsfan said:

think the error was not getting Brandin Cooks. Not great, but could have helped us this year and I have a hard time imagining the Texans wouldn't give him up for a mid-to- late round pick.

Brandin Cooks has a cap hit next year of ~26 million. That's why he wasn't traded.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

From the rumors

Obj wants the following

Multiple year deal

20 million a year

Didn't want to work out

If he wanted only one of these it would be a deal breaker let alone all 3. 

The whole thing about him just wanting to win is hogwash.   He just wants the team around him to win while he rests comfortably on his pile of money next to Tre White 😄

• Disagree 1

I think the issue for me is there really isnt a good comparison of what his contract should look like.  He's missed 23 of the last 45 NFL games due to injury.  He is 30 years old.  Yet he appears to think he is worth 20million a year?  Best comparison I have for him is what AJ Green is being paid in Arizona.   But honestly, thats even a stretch because even AJ played a full season with Cinci before signing with Arizona.  

Any contract offered to him should be incredibly low base salary with incentives to bulk it up.

1 minute ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Doesn't sound like Jerry thinks OBJ can play this year.

https://twitter.com/jonmachota/status/1600147529298898944?s=20&t=jgCagIjxZWXVksxxAKAUNg

If you were Jerry Jones and thought you may be in a bidding war for a player would you be overly positive about his abilities?

For my money, here's what I think he's doing ...

- Go on a publicity tour with 3 competitive teams that need WR help.

- Ask for way too much money.

- Hope that one of the superstar WR's go down (Lamb, Diggs, etc.).

- Hope that they come crawling back out of desperation and familiarity. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

For my money, here's what I think he's doing ...

- Go on a publicity tour with 3 competitive teams that need WR help.

- Ask for way too much money.

- Hope that one of the superstar WR's go down (Lamb, Diggs, etc.).

- Hope that they come crawling back out of desperation and familiarity. 

I am starting to think there is a real chance he doesn't sign with anybody this season unless there is a major injury. 

Outside of the "OBJ loves the NYG" talk, their beat reporter made a lot of sense about a 2023 return rather than 2022. 

• Like (+1) 1

This would have to be an incentive laden deal based on his ability to be on the field. Sorry, but OBJ is on a prove it deal, whether he likes it or not.  If he wants to play this year he needs to lower his expectations.  2m this year with an 8m base for next year, can reach 12m with incentives.  4m guaranteed.  That's the best we can do says Beaner.

• Agree 1

The biggest issue regarding Beckham, who has also visited with the New York Giants and Buffalo Bills, is his health as he returns from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee suffered in Super Bowl LVI. When asked whether Beckham has indicated that he believes he can play this year, Jones paused briefly.

"I'm going to kind of keep that one at bay, because that's degree," Jones said. "It's a lot different if you play one play or if you played or are available for a week and that week be the Super Bowl week, than if he's available the next week. And so everything in between. I would say that's a point of discussion -- a player's own belief of where he is in becoming ready to play is real big."

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I think there's some truth to this.  When looking at lowlights, one should really try for some balance by looking at highlight catches like this:

And this:

But to your point - I do think a lot of his catches do fall into the category of "deep balls, or scramble drills".   I actually think part of the problem is he isn't schemed open very often.  Josh seems to be forcing balls into him when he's actually well covered, and that's part of the "low catch %"/high INT against thing.  I said to a friend during the Pats game "Josh Allen isn't doing Davis any favors"

Also his depth of target I’m guessing is ranked pretty high. A lot of low % pass attempts. I don’t know if that’s Allen or Gabe Davis.

OBJ over played his hand.  Making this a media circus was not unusual but not willing to work out is pure folly.   Top that wanting a mutli year contract and $20 million a year is madness.  It is looking at a top end sports car on the car lot.  No test drive.  You have to buy it on faith.  You buy it and it keeps breaking down.  Now you are stuck with a good looking lemon.  No work out, then pass on him.  

Beyond talking to potential suitors, it appears most likely that OBJ can't be medically cleared by either his personal medical advisors or any team doctor's to participate in any workouts nor can any party give a clear and accurate target schedule of when he might be cleared to play. 

From all the noise coming out of Dallas, if Jones got assurances from his medical team that OBJ would be available at any time during the regular season or for the playoffs and he'd be in a position to be a productive receiver, he would have signed him already.  Unless he's cleared to start running practice routes in the next week I say this PR tour comes to an end and Becham signs somewhere after the Super Bowl during the 2023 free agent period.   

13 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Nope

Pass. If he's not going to be able to at least get some reps with the ones before the Playoffs, then I'm not shaking up the depth chart just for him (still not knowing what you'll really get) during the Playoffs. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Yeah, this is the NFL. Not every pass is going to drop into your hands like a floating marshmallow while the defender stands from 10 yards away and gives you encouragement.

Its always confused me when people say “it wasn’t a drop, the pass was broken up”. Yes it was. The defenders job is to knock the ball away. The receivers job is to catch the ball despite the defender trying to knock the ball away.

Drop statistics are basically - its not counted as a drop if a receiver has to put any effort into catching the ball.  By todays NFL standards that is far outdated.  Receivers are expected to make half the catches that dont count as drops IMO.

Yea and there is a such thing as a good play by the DB 

The defensive backs are getting paid also

The title of the video is Ludicrous… There is not three minutes of Davis dropping the ball… There’s like 13 throws on a loop And they all weren’t easy 

If there is three minutes of Davis dropping wide-open balls It be really concerning… he just needs to get his head straight 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

But to your point - I do think a lot of his catches do fall into the category of "deep balls, or scramble drills".   I actually think part of the problem is he isn't schemed open very often.  Josh seems to be forcing balls into him when he's actually well covered, and that's part of the "low catch %"/high INT against thing.  I said to a friend during the Pats game "Josh Allen isn't doing Davis any favors"

Allen has been doing Davis favors for years now by buying time and allowing Davis to get open much more often than he would be with a QB who is cutting the ball loose at 2.5 seconds regularly.

Davis simply hasn't stepped up this season.

He was expected by MANY to emerge as a $30M type WR1 that fans were going to lament not being able to pay after the 2023 season...........in fact he's been the same inconsistent, foot injury plagued guy.......but now he can't get open as easily or often because he is finally playing against CB1 and CB2 type coverage regularly.

So Allen is giving him chances to make plays in coverage that very good WR's make.......and he's not been making them.

His drop % has come down from a terrible figure of almost 20% in the past two weeks so maybe he has fixed some of the shaky technique that has plagued him.

The Jets game will be a good test for him.........he's dropped a ton of passes against them the last two games.    Last year he had that woeful 14 target/3 catch game against them in Buffalo and then the game in the Meadowlands where he really failed big time.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yea and there is a such thing as a good play by the DB 

The defensive backs are getting paid also

Its more than just that.  Drops arent counted as drops unless they are pretty much on the money balls.  If the receiver has to stretch for the ball or jump in the air for it, even if it hits both hands perfectly its not counted as a drop.

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Its more than just that.  Drops arent counted as drops unless they are pretty much on the money balls.  If the receiver has to stretch for the ball or jump in the air for it, even if it hits both hands perfectly its not counted as a drop.

Who cares 

Whoever made and posted the video was trying to troll… Some of those catches weren’t easy in the video … He was lunging and stretching

Some We’re easier than others

Regardless drops are not an official stat… Every wide receiver drops balls that hits their hands… We’re nine and three and people just love to complain

This fan base is literally the worst in the NFL.. Because it’s filled with a bunch of overreacting babies

Yeah I miss the days of Popeyes Kelvin Benjamin and Andre Holmes and zay jones 

Edited by Buffalo716

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

Who cares 

Whoever made and posted the video was trying to troll… Some of those catches weren’t easy in the video … He was lunging and stretching

Some We’re easier than others

Regardless drops are not an official stat… Every wide receiver drops balls that hits their hands… We’re nine and three and people just love to complain

This fan base is literally the worst in the NFL.. Because it’s filled with a bunch of overreacting babies

I actually care. I cared when Stevie Johnson dropped that perfect pass in the endzone with no one around him that cost us a playoff birth.  Yes, everyone has drops.  Davis have too many and it costs drives which cost games too.  I still like Davis but he needs to drop less.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Allen has been doing Davis favors for years now by buying time and allowing Davis to get open much more often than he would be with a QB who is cutting the ball loose at 2.5 seconds regularly.

Davis simply hasn't stepped up this season.

He was expected by MANY to emerge as a $30M type WR1 that fans were going to lament not being able to pay after the 2023 season...........in fact he's been the same inconsistent, foot injury plagued guy.......but now he can't get open as easily or often because he is finally playing against CB1 and CB2 type coverage regularly.

So Allen is giving him chances to make plays in coverage that very good WR's make.......and he's not been making them.

His drop % has come down from a terrible figure of almost 20% in the past two weeks so maybe he has fixed some of the shaky technique that has plagued him.

The Jets game will be a good test for him.........he's dropped a ton of passes against them the last two games.    Last year he had that woeful 14 target/3 catch game against them in Buffalo and then the game in the Meadowlands where he really failed big time.

Gabriel Davis is ranked 26th in receiving yards. He has the same amount of receiving touchdowns as Justin Jefferson, Ja'Marr Chase, Ceedee Lamb, Amon Ra St Brown, and Mark Andrews, and more than Tyreek Hill, Tee Higgins, and DK Metcalf. Only 8 receivers in the league have caught more touchdowns than he has. 

I'm not sure in what universe those aren't good WR2 numbers.

Even if your contention that he was expected to emerge as a WR1, well...there are 32 teams in the league, and he is ranked 26th in receiving yardage and tied with a bunch of other guys for the 5th most touchdown receptions. Among players with at least 25 catches on the season, he is ranked 5th in 1st down %.

The Bills offense as a whole ranks 2nd in yards and 3rd in points, with Davis being the second leading receiver on the team.

I'm not sure if the problem people have is unrealistic expectations or failure to accurately assess Gabe Davis's production relative to that of his peers. Saying he "hasn't stepped up this season" is not really backed up by the numbers.

• Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Gabriel Davis is ranked 26th in receiving yards. He has the same amount of receiving touchdowns as Justin Jefferson, Ja'Marr Chase, Ceedee Lamb, Amon Ra St Brown, and Mark Andrews, and more than Tyreek Hill, Tee Higgins, and DK Metcalf. Only 8 receivers in the league have caught more touchdowns than he has. 

I'm not sure in what universe those aren't good WR2 numbers.

Even if your contention that he was expected to emerge as a WR1, well...there are 32 teams in the league, and he is ranked 26th in receiving yardage and tied with a bunch of other guys for the 5th most touchdown receptions. Among players with at least 25 catches on the season, he is ranked 5th in 1st down %.

The Bills offense as a whole ranks 2nd in yards and 3rd in points, with Davis being the second leading receiver on the team.

I'm not sure if the problem people have is unrealistic expectations or failure to accurately assess Gabe Davis's production relative to that of his peers. Saying he "hasn't stepped up this season" is not really backed up by the numbers.

I can only speak for myself when I say that Gabe's production isn't what I have an issue with; it's the drops.  I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a WR2 to catch every single pass that hits him in the chest.

Just because he does a lot of good things doesn't mean that the bad things don't count.  A 52% catch rate is terrible.  Clearly, the 48% that he's caught have been great (looking at the stats you posted above).  

But he needs to be more consistent.  That would make life a lot easier on Josh Allen and the entire offense.

• Like (+1) 2

They say Davis has 6 drops yet he has closed to 15

lol, "Einstein" proves his own theorem.

pure gold.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I can only speak for myself when I say that Gabe's production isn't what I have an issue with; it's the drops.  I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a WR2 to catch every single pass that hits him in the chest.

Just because he does a lot of good things doesn't mean that the bad things don't count.  A 52% catch rate is terrible.  Clearly, the 48% that he's caught have been great (looking at the stats you posted above).  

But he needs to be more consistent.  That would make life a lot easier on Josh Allen and the entire offense.

I totally agree.

I think both things are true: He needs to stop dropping passes and to be more consistent....AND....he's been a legitimate #2 receiver and not, as some state, a disappointment. 

I also think he's been fighting that bum ankle all season. That's not an excuse, because tons of players are playing through injury at this point in the season. I'm just noting that I don't believe he's been 100% since that injury. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.