Who is Your Favorite NFL Football TV Announcer of All Time ?

T master

51 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Another one to mention is Paul Maguire and he played for the Bills as well.

Paul was the "color guy" though... Not the "Announcer"... I'm not sure you can compare the two. Announcing/Calling the game takes someone with a "voice" that can convey the "excitement" of the game whereas a color guy more or less just diagnoses or explains what just transpired on the field. Nowadays. you even have the league official talking about controversial penalties and the like during the broadcast. Cosell was kinda different though. Wasn't he one of the first "Third Man" in the booth people at the time MNF started it, or am I wrong?

• Like (+1) 1

Madden for me. I have nothing but positive things to say about him as an announcer. He had the voice, knowledge, and a genuine love of the game. Al Michaels was excellent as well, but it seems like he’s stuck around too long, and my opinion of him probably isn’t as great as it once was. 

Madden was great, and there’s always been something comforting about Al Michael’s play by play. Love his voice. I also really enjoy Tony Roma’s color commentary. I feel like I’m learning something when he’s there. 

Howard Cosell was a classic. At 57, I’m a little young to have a strong opinion on him, but I did know that my father hated him like nails on a chalk board, so that tainted my opinion a bit. 

47 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

My favorites...

Play-By-Play:

1. Howard Cosell

3. Marv Albert

Thank you for the first Marvcus Albert reference.  He was better at basketball (EWING, WITH THE REJECTION!!), but still really good at football.  As good as Cosell was at football, he was incredible at boxing (DOWN GOES FRAY-ZHUH!  DOWN GOES FRAY-ZHUH!  DOWN GOES FRAY-ZHUH!).  Really good play-by-play guys can excel in multiple sports, and Cosell and Albert were two of the best.

• Agree 1

Madden really stands out - he was the one who sort of "reinvented" sports broadcasting.  He brought all of his experience on the sideline to the booth, as well as a pure love of the game, and the insights were incredible. 

Now, there are a lot of guys like that, but I feel like it really started w/ him.

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Thank you for the first Marvcus Albert reference.  He was better at basketball (EWING, WITH THE REJECTION!!), but still really good at football.  As good as Cosell was at football, he was incredible at boxing (DOWN GOES FRAY-ZHUH!  DOWN GOES FRAY-ZHUH!  DOWN GOES FRAY-ZHUH!).  Really good play-by-play guys can excel in multiple sports, and Cosell and Albert were two of the best.

Definitely.

I've heard people say that Jim Nantz is above average when it comes to football, but he excels at The Masters.

• Like (+1) 1

Dick Enberg and Al Michaels were both very good in their prime.  Nantz paired with Romo isn't bad, either.  I think Nantz currently sits at the top of NFL pbp guys.

John Madden is in a league of his own in terms of color work.

Kevin Harlan is underrated, I think he's better than Ian Eagle.

For me, bigger names that just aren't very good in the booth are Joe Buck, Troy Aikman, Phil Simms, Boomer Esiason, and Cris Collinsworth.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, filthymcnasty08 said:

Special shout out to Dennis Miller.  While not an all-time great, I am one of the few that enjoyed his humor during MNF.  That was a unique twist.

I totally forgot about Millers stint on MNF i didn't mind him at all funny guy who was he paired with i forget it's been so long ago now . 

The 60s AFL team

Curt Gowdy as Announcer

Al Derogatis as Color Commentator 

image.jpeg.d8aa4da670118b50bef46c39dc1c9574.jpeg

Curt Gowdy and Al DeRogatis: Let’s take a trip in the way-back machine. Gowdy was the voice of sports for a time in the 1960s — matter-of-fact, play it as it lays. DeRogatis knew his stuff. But they have historical import: They not only called the infamous “Heidi” game (look it up), but Super Bowl III, in which Joe Namath’s New York Jets defeated the mighty Baltimore Colts and basically established the AFL as a going concern.  Sourced From AZ paper. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

He is my all-time favorite, but since this was about professional football, I didn't mention him.

He did play-by-play for MNF’s 1st season in 1970, then was replaced by Frank Gifford the next year. Monumental downgrade.

Announcer:  Charley Jones

Analyst:  Merlin Olsen

For present day guys, it’s a tie between Ian Eagle and Kevin Harlan - both these guys should be on #1 teams.  And for analyst I think Greg Olson is an up and comer.

Edited by oldmanfan

Any Harry Kalas fans out there? I know he wasn't in the booth and was also equally known as the Phillies PxP guy, but he was the voice I remember most from NFL films. He was basically John Facenda's successor.

As far as guys in the booth, definitely Michaels and Madden.

15 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

BUT:  I have to admit, I really like Tony Romo now.  I know he doesn't have that all time clout yet, but he is my current favorite by a wide margin out there right now.  

See I find Romo really irritating and not adding much value since CBS stopped him tipping plays. It was almost as though they dumbed him down to the audience. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.