Time to speculate about the Colts’ QB situation [Speculation over, Matt Ryan is their guy]

Tipster19

2 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Intriguing thought.

Ultimately though I think it's best for this team to have a backup with a proven track record.

FWIW Keenum went 2-0 in his starts for the Browns last year. Mayfield went 6-8.

I was talking about the colts. 

9 hours ago, qwksilver said:

I wonder why Mariota hasn't had his 2nd chance yet. I haven't heard anything about him as he's a FA. I think Reich would be able to work with him. Plus it wouldn't cost any draft capital. 

Wasn’t his Raiders stint his second chance ?  Whatever team Mariota ends up on next is his third chance.   The fact that no team was interested in getting him as a starter post Titans says a lot.

54 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Baker.  He’s already publicly expressed his interest in going there.  He’d probably do a little better in a dome and the south.  

Besides Reich has a way of grooming QB’s and is  such a grounded man, it would be good for BM.

In his latest attempt at grooming a quarterback, he groomed Wentz right outta town …

10 hours ago, qwksilver said:

I wonder why Mariota hasn't had his 2nd chance yet. I haven't heard anything about him as he's a FA. I think Reich would be able to work with him. Plus it wouldn't cost any draft capital. 

Noodle arm

May be talking to Luck or Rivers. Nothing surprises me anymore. 

I’m getting pretty tired of everyone slobbering all over the colts. Between the chargers and colts, (if you listen to most fans) you’d think we are watching two of the most incredible teams in NFL history. Certainly one of them could have at least made the playoffs…There is no QB that’s available right now that could put the colts there. They can be ok again but they couldn’t even beat the Jaguars last year in a must win game to make the playoffs. They caught a few teams sleeping and ran them over but overall they are slightly above average. Had they gotten Russel Wilson or Watson, maybe this is a different story. Baker mayfield is about the same as Wentz. Nobody left is going to drastically change them.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I’m getting pretty tired of everyone slobbering all over the colts. Between the chargers and colts, (if you listen to most fans) you’d think we are watching two of the most incredible teams in NFL history. Certainly one of them could have at least made the playoffs…There is no QB that’s available right now that could put the colts there. They can be ok again but they couldn’t even beat the Jaguars last year in a must win game to make the playoffs. They caught a few teams sleeping and ran them over but overall they are slightly above average. Had they gotten Russel Wilson or Watson, maybe this is a different story. Baker mayfield is about the same as Wentz. Nobody left is going to drastically change them.

I think Baker would do better than Wentz. Wentz looked horrible last year, Mayfield, he looked similarly horrible, but with a hurt shoulder. I think the Colts could compete in their division with Mayfield. 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

To me the Colts are a QB away from being a championship team. How in the world with all this QB carousel going on they just trade off their starting QB, sit back and watch any and all valid QBs get realigned with new teams and they just stand pat??!!! Especially that they have a lunatic owner and they do NOTHING??! It just doesn’t make sense. At one point I was wondering if they were going to blow off the dust and try and get Andrew Luck out of retirement but that just doesn’t sit right the more I think about it. The only thing that I could come up with that would make any kind of sense is that the Colts works something out for Matty Ice. The Falcons don’t have squat going on and looks to be a great candidate for a complete rebuild. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Colts cough up a 1st rd pick for Ryan. I’m not sure what they have for draft picks because of what they paid for Wentz but I’m pretty sure without looking that they still have their 2023 1st rd pick. If somebody could weigh in and suggest a better solution it would be greatly appreciated.

They've been linked to Mariota, FWIW.  Though if they have to defeat a bunch of QB who can turn on the afterburners and play out of this world like Mahomes and Allen and yes, don't like to say it but Watson can - it's hard to see Mariota as able to keep up with the "arms race"

11 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I see Ryan as making the most sense.  Then again, it kind of reminds me of bringing in Phillip Rivers.  It’s a stop gap move and there’s not much there for the future.  I don’t see Indy tripping over themselves to bring in Mayfield

Reich has tried his hand at two previous QB reclamation projects so there's that - they have $40M in cap $$ and could easily go for Matty Ice, yes.

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Reich has tried his hand at two previous QB reclamation projects so there's that - they have $40M in cap $$ and could easily go for Matty Ice, yes.

Matt Ryan's name is being thrown around largely because he delayed his roster bonus to allow the Falcons to pursue Deshaun Watson.

The Falcons failed to sign Deshaun Watson.

It's not clear if Ryan feels disrespected about being treated as a secondary commodity and whether he would try to force his way out of Atlanta.

My gut feeling is that he forgives the organization and remains with the Falcons. Just a guess.

13 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

To me the Colts are a QB away from being a championship team. How in the world with all this QB carousel going on they just trade off their starting QB, sit back and watch any and all valid QBs get realigned with new teams and they just stand pat??!!! Especially that they have a lunatic owner and they do NOTHING??! It just doesn’t make sense. At one point I was wondering if they were going to blow off the dust and try and get Andrew Luck out of retirement but that just doesn’t sit right the more I think about it. The only thing that I could come up with that would make any kind of sense is that the Colts works something out for Matty Ice. The Falcons don’t have squat going on and looks to be a great candidate for a complete rebuild. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Colts cough up a 1st rd pick for Ryan. I’m not sure what they have for draft picks because of what they paid for Wentz but I’m pretty sure without looking that they still have their 2023 1st rd pick. If somebody could weigh in and suggest a better solution it would be greatly appreciated.

Colts are a Matty Ice away from the SB???   They are Pittman and Taylor....

And.....a 1st round pick for what's left of Ryan??

lol  stop.

1 hour ago, Tanoros said:

I think Baker would do better than Wentz. Wentz looked horrible last year, Mayfield, he looked similarly horrible, but with a hurt shoulder. I think the Colts could compete in their division with Mayfield. 

I feel Reich wants to build a locker room like McDermott so that's where Baker may not fit. Matt Ryan is a bridge guy if the Falcons take someone in the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Matt Ryan's name is being thrown around largely because he delayed his roster bonus to allow the Falcons to pursue Deshaun Watson.

The Falcons failed to sign Deshaun Watson.

It's not clear if Ryan feels disrespected about being treated as a secondary commodity and whether he would try to force his way out of Atlanta.

My gut feeling is that he forgives the organization and remains with the Falcons. Just a guess.

A short excerpt from The Athletic on Matt Ryan:

"Here’s what almost everyone in the NFL is thinking right now: There’s no way Matt Ryan can play for Atlanta in 2022. The Falcons have treated the 14-year NFL veteran and face of their franchise too shoddily in pursuit of a player who has shown almost none of the professionalism in his career that Ryan has shown in every year of his.

So let’s start the conversation there. All those people are wrong. It’s exactly Ryan’s professionalism that makes it possible he could come back to play for the team that drafted him No. 3 overall in 2008. Who’s to say if it’s probable, but it’s possible.

There are better quarterbacks in the National Football League than Matt Ryan. There are none more professional. He is the Uber Pro, to a degree that actually alienates some of his own fan base. His insistence on focusing on the process, taking life a practice rep at a time and stoically approaching the next play with no regard for the last infuriates some people.

Many Falcons fans have never loved their quarterback more than when he was flagged for taunting in Week 17 against Buffalo. He cost Atlanta a touchdown because he said unkind things in unkind ways to Bills safety Jordan Poyer. Ryan lost his cool, and it was startling to see because it just doesn’t happen. It was his first unsportsmanlike conduct flag in a 14-year career. Atlanta fans were tickled mostly.

That version of Ryan might walk into the Falcons’ facility in Flowery Branch tomorrow and give everyone in the building double (dirty) birds, demand a trade and clean out his locker.

Or the all-business Boston College grad might say, “It’s a business; it’s over; let’s get ready for 2022.” Getting to that public response would require some private fence-mending from Atlanta owner Arthur Blank, general manager Terry Fontenot and head coach Arthur Smith, but that’s at least a possibility."

It's an interesting situation.

I could see a scenario where Arthur Blank throws a bit more money at him to mend fences with Ryan.

14 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

Dear @Gugny,

Please do your own homework.

Sincerely,

@BringBackFergy

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Frank Reich will fix him!! He has the technology 😎

All he really needs is a strong sewing kit. Sew that mouth right up and get the guy on the field to play. Baker has talent. not that he’s in that top tier category, but he has talent. His issue is an inability to get out of his own way. He’s not the first NFL quarterback or player to have that issue, but he’s definitely made it his problem.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I can’t see Reich going for Mayfield. I don’t see it as a fit personality wise. 

Me either, Baker is a petulant child.

That Colts team is really just a solid QB away from the playoffs. 

I could envision a bold move for a pro QB like Matt Ryan or Jimmy Garoppolo. 

If I had to predict, I'd say Baker is going to end up in Seattle or Carolina, franchises going nowhere.

Or Atlanta as part of a deal for Ryan.

Wherever he goes, it'll probably happen in the next few days!

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, prissythecat said:

Wasn’t his Raiders stint his second chance ?  Whatever team Mariota ends up on next is his third chance.   The fact that no team was interested in getting him as a starter post Titans says a lot.

By 2nd chance, I meant to be a starter. I don't think he that got that with the Raiders.

5 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Noodle arm

May be talking to Luck or Rivers. Nothing surprises me anymore. 

I'm not sure noodle arm Qbs go 2nd overall in any draft.

Edited by qwksilver

15 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

How likely is it that Cleveland will allow Baker to go to Indy?

Hopefully zero. Not a big baker guy, but really I feel like any decent qb makes them dangerous behind that line with a running game.

Maybe they're not big on him with the turnovers though 

14 hours ago, SoTier said:

Probably because he's not that good.   He lost his starting job to Tannehill who sure wouldn't be confused with Mahomes or Allen.

I understand the Titans thought Tannehill was better. I thought he should get a chance to start again. Maybe he learned something (as Tribuski did) from watching.

The Colts are out of "A-level" options. Wilson and Watson are potential game changers are they are no longer on the market. But the Colts aren't out of starting caliber options either. Jimmy G, Baker and Matt Ryan are all on the market and I would classify them as starting caliber QB's. I think they go with Baker I think they swap their second round pick for a third round pick and a future conditional pick (basically making it an even trade).

5 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Hopefully zero. Not a big baker guy, but really I feel like any decent qb makes them dangerous behind that line with a running game.

Maybe they're not big on him with the turnovers though 

Jimmy G is their best option. Jimmy G gives them a quality "game manager" with significant playoff experience (I think he has played in 6 playoff games including a Super Bowl). 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, HankBulloughMellencamp said:

Me either, Baker is a petulant child.

That Colts team is really just a solid QB away from the playoffs. 

I could envision a bold move for a pro QB like Matt Ryan or Jimmy Garoppolo. 

If I had to predict, I'd say Baker is going to end up in Seattle or Carolina, franchises going nowhere.

Or Atlanta as part of a deal for Ryan.

Wherever he goes, it'll probably happen in the next few days!

Seattle seems the most sense as I can't see Cleveland wanting to trade him conference. Toss in Seattle has extra 1st so they could also hedge their nests and draft someone too.

10 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

A short excerpt from The Athletic on Matt Ryan:

"Here’s what almost everyone in the NFL is thinking right now: There’s no way Matt Ryan can play for Atlanta in 2022. The Falcons have treated the 14-year NFL veteran and face of their franchise too shoddily in pursuit of a player who has shown almost none of the professionalism in his career that Ryan has shown in every year of his.

So let’s start the conversation there. All those people are wrong. It’s exactly Ryan’s professionalism that makes it possible he could come back to play for the team that drafted him No. 3 overall in 2008. Who’s to say if it’s probable, but it’s possible.

There are better quarterbacks in the National Football League than Matt Ryan. There are none more professional. He is the Uber Pro, to a degree that actually alienates some of his own fan base. His insistence on focusing on the process, taking life a practice rep at a time and stoically approaching the next play with no regard for the last infuriates some people.

Many Falcons fans have never loved their quarterback more than when he was flagged for taunting in Week 17 against Buffalo. He cost Atlanta a touchdown because he said unkind things in unkind ways to Bills safety Jordan Poyer. Ryan lost his cool, and it was startling to see because it just doesn’t happen. It was his first unsportsmanlike conduct flag in a 14-year career. Atlanta fans were tickled mostly.

That version of Ryan might walk into the Falcons’ facility in Flowery Branch tomorrow and give everyone in the building double (dirty) birds, demand a trade and clean out his locker.

Or the all-business Boston College grad might say, “It’s a business; it’s over; let’s get ready for 2022.” Getting to that public response would require some private fence-mending from Atlanta owner Arthur Blank, general manager Terry Fontenot and head coach Arthur Smith, but that’s at least a possibility."

It's an interesting situation.

I could see a scenario where Arthur Blank throws a bit more money at him to mend fences with Ryan.

Ryan already has the biggest cap hit in the NFL next year. 

7 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Can Frank still throw??

Just out of morbid curiosity, has there even been a coach that has played a down? Is it even allowed. I imagine at some point in the NFL existence there must have been some 35 year old position coach who substituted in an emergency? 

• Eyeroll 1

17 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Ryan already has the biggest cap hit in the NFL next year. 

The excerpt underscores the fact that no one actually knows if Matt Ryan is available or not.

As for contracts, they can be changed as has been made abundantly clear this week.

On 3/20/2022 at 12:11 PM, Mr. WEO said:

Colts are a Matty Ice away from the SB???   They are Pittman and Taylor....

And.....a 1st round pick for what's left of Ryan??

lol  stop.

Well, looks like terms have been agreed upon.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Just out of morbid curiosity, has there even been a coach that has played a down? Is it even allowed. I imagine at some point in the NFL existence there must have been some 35 year old position coach who substituted in an emergency? 

someone should start a thread about this...

20 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

The excerpt underscores the fact that no one actually knows if Matt Ryan is available or not.

As for contracts, they can be changed as has been made abundantly clear this week.

He seems to have been available. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.