Bills release OL Daryl Williams

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, Magox said:

It’s another hole that will have to be filled.

Departures/possible Departures

QB - Trubisky

RB - Breida, Taiwan Jones

WR - Sanders,  Beasley

OL - Mongo, Darryl Williams,Boettger, Bates, Ford

TE - Gilliam, Sweeney

DL- Addison, Hughes, Obada, Butler, Star, Phillips 

LB - Klein, Matakavich

DB - Levi Wallace 

That’s 21 possible departures with a high likelihood of somewhere between 15-18 of them not being on the squad next year.

Thats potentially more turnover than we have had in years.

That’s a lot of turnover if we don’t get them back.  Some can go, some need to be resigned.  Either way, a lot of money we don’t have just yet.

I gotta think you dont make this move unless you know someone is coming to replace him that is better. I mean their interior offensive line right now is Cody Ford, Jacob Capra, and Mitch Morse. Ryan Bates technically hasn't been re-signed. Unless the plan is to move Dawkins inside they have to be signing one or two interior players to deals pretty soon after FA starts

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Here ya go.

"If the Bills move on from Williams, it could also signal that they would like to use more zone blocking principles. New offensive line coach Aaron Kromer, who most recently worked under Sean McVay with the Rams — an offense known for those principles. A zone blocking scheme favors athleticism ahead of power, needing the linemen to adapt and get to the second-level quickly or move off their spot to protect their area. Unfortunately, these are not Williams’ strengths. He is more of a power blocker with heavier feet than the rest of the offensive line. It’s also not McDermott’s first time hiring someone with a zone-blocking background. His first offensive coordinator hire, Rick Dennison, spent almost his entire career with Mike Shanahan. As a defensive coach, McDermott likely believes those offenses are extremely difficult to defend."

Also thought this was interesting-

Bills OL Relative Athletic Scores

PLAYER RELATIVE ATHLETIC SCORE

Spencer Brown

Tommy Doyle

Ryan Bates

Mitch Morse

Dion Dawkins

Daryl Williams

• Like (+1) 9
  • Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I think it was bound to happen, can't pay tackle money to him to play guard. When is Beasley move made? methinks it's coming soon

Exactly right.  Maybe they work something out down the road so he can come back getting paid as a guard, but there is no way you can justify paying him that money to play inside.

Just now, SWATeam said:

Also thought this was interesting-

Bills OL Relative Athletic Scores

PLAYER RELATIVE ATHLETIC SCORE

Spencer Brown

Tommy Doyle

Ryan Bates

Mitch Morse

Dion Dawkins

Daryl Williams

Yup.  He's heavy-footed and doesn't fit what they want to do.  Expect Cody Ford to follow him off the roster, perhaps by trade.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Magox said:

QB - Trubisky

WR - Sanders,  Beasley

TE - Gilliam, Sweeney

LB - Klein, Matakavich

DB - Levi Wallace 

That’s 21 possible departures with a high likelihood of somewhere between 15-18 of them not being on the squad next year.

Get used to it.  It's the price you pay when you are good.  Can't keep everyone.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is helpful, but I think it would be ore helpful to distinguish the FA from the guys still under contract.

That's still Beasley, Ford, Lotulelei, and Matekavich.  Color key them or something?

I would but I'm on vacation with the family and this just came off the top of my head.

3 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

I figured he'd take a pay cut rather than straight cutting him

Not here, why would he?  Barring injury, he knows he lost the gig as the starting RT to Spencer Brown.  He thinks he can still play RT.  It may be his last payday, why wouldn't he prefer to see what the market will bear?

Just now, Magox said:

I would but I'm on vacation with the family and this just came off the top of my head.

I can do it if you want me to.  Enjoy your vacay

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am really surprised. I think OL is a priority, so I'd sign FA IOL starter, draft OL in first 3 rounds and keep Williams as primary backup. Seems that he didn't fit the scheme or was too expensive. I really hope a top guard is coming in FA.

Edited by No_Matter_What

13 minutes ago, Magox said:

QB - Trubisky

WR - Sanders,  Beasley

TE - Gilliam, Sweeney

LB - Klein, Matakavich

DB - Levi Wallace 

Bates & Phillips are the only ones to re-sign. 

5 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I gotta think you dont make this move unless you know someone is coming to replace him that is better. I mean their interior offensive line right now is Cody Ford, Jacob Capra, and Mitch Morse. Ryan Bates technically hasn't been re-signed. Unless the plan is to move Dawkins inside they have to be signing one or two interior players to deals pretty soon after FA starts

I expect them to tender Bates.  They may also re-sign Boettger - while I thought he did enough to get a contract, coming back from an injury as a lower-tier FA OL isn't the best look.

• Agree 1

I like the direction they seem to be taking so far.   

Klein, Feliciano, Williams (soon to be Beasley) are all decent players for how we used them, but all luxuries we can't really afford to be overpaying anymore with Allen's contract hitting.

Now let's see if they turn the page and focus more on elite talent with backfilled draft picks, rather than above average everywhere but lacking difference makers. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

I never understood the big contract he got last year, he was solid in 2020 for practically no money. Then gets paid big time for a year and then released. I was expecting a re-structure so this is interesting. 

Beane felt the same way must be ...

its was said above, but i'll repeat it because that's what it do: there is a big change w cap'n lawnchair (i like him, it's just too funny of a story to let up on).  he has a strong idea, knows what results he wants, and likely has the confidence that he can coach guys up to get them where he wants them to be.

dabol's upside is his creativity, his downside is he doesn't have a solid "bread and butter" (another term i have beaten half to death).  i think w a younger/newer OC and veteran coaches under him and above him, we got a more standardized approach.

i think that fits us best since JA17 is the king of off script playmaking, no need to write in too many tricks into your fight plan when you have a heavy weight who can throw 1-2's from 30 different angles at blinding speed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

Austin Corbett and his ties to Kromer seems to be a guy that we'd pursue yet not sure he's going to be any less than Williams and doesn't offer position versatility. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, The Jokeman said:

Austin Corbett and his ties to Kromer seems to be a guy that we'd pursue yet not sure he's going to be any less than Williams and doesn't offer position versatility. 

Roger Saffold would also seem like a guy we could pursue with ties to Kromer.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

I figured he'd take a pay cut rather than straight cutting him

He is probably seeing if he can make more on the open market than the Bills offered with the pay cut.  It’s a sound strategy for a guy who could sign as a starting RT or even a swing tackle somewhere.  This is the thing about asking a player to take a pay cut.  You have to be willing to cut them if they say no, or can’t agree on a new figure. 

This tells me that Morse is almost certainly staying this season.  I can’t see the Bills intentionally going with three new starters on the inside. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They need the money now.  Post-June 1 cuts don't reduce the cap until....June 1

Right, but the other moves they could make now as opposed to his release, many of which involve restructuring current players’ contracts, are well documented. Just a little surprised they didn’t do one or multiple of those first. Hey maybe they’re still to come today. 

2 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Dont be surprised if the depth piece is also Austin Blythe OG/OC from the Chiefs. Spent time with Kromer in LA as well. He’d be a Feliciano type signing would be my guess

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Here ya go.

"If the Bills move on from Williams, it could also signal that they would like to use more zone blocking principles. New offensive line coach Aaron Kromer, who most recently worked under Sean McVay with the Rams — an offense known for those principles. A zone blocking scheme favors athleticism ahead of power, needing the linemen to adapt and get to the second-level quickly or move off their spot to protect their area. Unfortunately, these are not Williams’ strengths. He is more of a power blocker with heavier feet than the rest of the offensive line. It’s also not McDermott’s first time hiring someone with a zone-blocking background. His first offensive coordinator hire, Rick Dennison, spent almost his entire career with Mike Shanahan. As a defensive coach, McDermott likely believes those offenses are extremely difficult to defend."

And to really drive this point home, take a look at the RAS Scores. Who sticks out here?

image.thumb.png.62de6475720c8170f0dfa4ea179d332a.png

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I like the direction they seem to be taking so far.   

Klein, Feliciano, Williams (soon to be Beasley) are all decent players for how we used them, but all luxuries we can't really afford to be overpaying anymore with Allen's contract hitting.

Now let's see if they turn the page and focus more on elite talent with backfilled draft picks, rather than above average everywhere but lacking difference makers. 

SC, I agree and they are never going to pay an ok G that much $.  They have lots of time to restock in FA and the draft.

27 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

Good. $8 million per year made him the 12th highest paid guard in the league. He was decent down the stretch but no way is he worth that money.

Meh, 12th highest paid is hovering around average. We got decent production from him. I get we didn’t love the contract. But it wasn’t terrible either. 

2 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Why does a pre June 1 release net is less cap savings than a post June 1 release?

And what’s the benefit of the Bills doing a pre June 1 cut instead?

To get the cap savings now.  Otherwise they may have to make other moves to get under the cap when they sign more players

• Thank you (+1) 1

I find the amount of faith in Brown, and lack of additional cap space to be surprising here.  Unless they have a FA in mind already, I don't like the lack of depth this move creates.  Williams was good at RG, but also could play RT in a pinch, which happened a few times last season.  This is a lot of faith in Brown and creates a starting gap. 

I don't think his contract was crazy and that's a lot of dead cap space (For Beane). 

I'm sure there's a plan, I just don't like it initially.  I trust the process and Beane saying supporting Josh was their number one offseason priority

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.