Bills release OL Daryl Williams

YoloinOhio

5 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Hot garbage.  Any scheme that required you to actually show up and block he would have been a poor fit. 

Maybe on some non-playoff junk teams he can start.  But for a playoff team with a high caliber offense he was an immense liability. 

Hence, unemployed.

Actually, the problem with the line last year wasn't Williams, it was continuity. When your top 5 linemen manage to play together for only 5 games all season - and two of those were in the playoffs, it is pretty difficult to assess overall line play. Williams kept moving between RT and RG because of injuries and covid. 

The emergence of Brown at RT (and Williams being paid T money at RG) and Kromer coming in are the reasons he is gone.

• Eyeroll 1

5 minutes ago, appoo said:

Guy I’m targeting is Alex Cappa. Young and athletic 

looks like a good guy.  

one issue we will have with FA OL is that the Bengals have a HUGE need and will likely outbid us if we are interested in the same guys (rumor is they want Cappa, well, and every other FA OL!).  

That said, we will get a FA OL and hopefully draft someone in Rd 1-2.  Some good prospects available it looks like.  

10 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Actually, the problem with the line last year wasn't Williams, it was continuity. When your top 5 linemen manage to play together for only 5 games all season - and two of those were in the playoffs, it is pretty difficult to assess overall line play. Williams kept moving between RT and RG because of injuries and covid. 

The emergence of Brown at RT (and Williams being paid T money at RG) and Kromer coming in are the reasons he is gone.

We brought back 5 starting linemen from the year prior. 

We shuffled the line due to poor play and ineffectiveness.  It's funny to me that some Bills fans want to complain how bad the line is during the season but at the same time never hold any specific players accountable. 

It's okay to be harsh and critical of players when they deserve it. 

Williams wasn't making a ton, 3yr/24mm can play anywhere on the line, but not if you are completely ineffective. 

This is a winning football team now, not a group of lovable losers and needs to be managed as such. He's a great cut and easily replaceable at both RG or RT.... Brown is already better and we can draft and integrate another rookie this year or low end signing. 

Edited by ArtVandalay
  • Agree 3

5 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

looks like a good guy.  

one issue we will have with FA OL is that the Bengals have a HUGE need and will likely outbid us if we are interested in the same guys (rumor is they want Cappa, well, and every other FA OL!).  

That said, we will get a FA OL and hopefully draft someone in Rd 1-2.  Some good prospects available it looks like.  

If you’re getting sacked 5 times a game, then you shouldn’t be going out and getting guards. 

If the Bengals want to keep Burrow alive then they need to find a pair of tackles that allow Jonah Williams to move inside 

• Agree 1

Just now, appoo said:

If you’re getting sacked 5 times a game, then you shouldn’t be going out and getting guards. 

If the Bengals want to keep Burrow alive then they need to find a pair of tackles that allow Jonah Williams to move inside 

good points! 

6 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

We shuffled the line due to poor play and ineffectiveness.  It's funny to me that some Bills fans want to complain how bad the line is during the season but at the same time never hold any specific players accountable. 

Williams wasn't making a ton, 3yr/24mm can play anywhere on the line, but not if you are completely ineffective. 

This is a winning football team now, not a group of lovable losers and needs to be managed as such. He's a great cut and easily replaceable at both RG or RT.... Brown is already better and we can draft and integrate another rookie this year or low end signing. 

exactly.  We need to be paying impact players, not average players the big money.  I'm hoping these cuts/restructures lead to C. Jones, a DT, and another TE.  

Don't like this move. First of all Brown wasn't that great at RT last year and there is no guarantee he doesn't regress.  Even if they sign a good OG in FA they are really gambling at OT. Doyle could barely hold his own as an extra TE. Almost necessitates taking another OT in the draft a year after taking two. 

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If the plan is to protect Allen, so far Beane has cut two average guys and freed up some cap space. Lets see how he uses it.

2 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

You don’t do this unless your planning to make a decent sized signing IMO. 

Not accurate at all.  We have no cap space coming into the off-season and some big holes to fill like CB and DT plus needing help elsewhere.  

You can’t take up over $8M in cap space (RT money) for what is likely a mediocre starting guard or a backup G/T when you have cap space issues.

This move always seemed probable given our cap issues and Williams projected role this next season.  It’s not an indicator that a big signing is happening.

Doesn’t mean we won’t make a big signing, but just saying this was always a strong possibility regardless who we sign.  

Personally I think it’s also quite possible he returns as a depth OL guys who can backup G or T.  Depends what kind of market there is for him though.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

8 minutes ago, appoo said:

Their potential solution at RT just hit the market…

5 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

I have no problems with Williams going. He does not fit what Kromer likes to do and, yes, he would have been overpaid as a guard. Also, I wasn't one of those criticizing the oline without holding any particular player accountable. Ford was awful and Dawkins didn't play near to the level he is capable until the last 5 games or so of the season. Dawkins also missed a game, Brown started only 10 games, Feliciano went down and ended up playing in 9 games - and when he did play, he wasn't as effective as he had been the year before. As I said, there were literally 5 games in which their best 5 linemen were on the field at the same time. In a year where they had all kinds of problems along that line, Williams wasn't anywhere near the top of that list.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

I was not too surprised with this cut -- since they signed him to be a RT but with Spencer Brown outperforming him at that spot -- take the money and find a better fit at RG. I don't know what to make of the connection with their analytics though. Someone posted the RAS scores -- and it seems to be factoring into who the Bills draft/sign -- is this a proven thing over time? As much as I think analytics is a helpful tool -- I hope that Bean and Company are not using it as the be all.

Just now, appoo said:

yea not too surprising. Right at the numbers where i thought the bills could get him to 

I dont expect us to be active at all today. Or even much this week.

We have no money, and this is when prices are the highest.

Beane will bring in 1-2 2nd tier guys, and draft a C/G. That's about it (imo).

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont expect us to be active at all today. Or even much this week.

We have no money, and this is when prices are the highest.

Beane will bring in 1-2 2nd tier guys, and draft a C/G. That's about it (imo).

I don’t know about that. If you’re a contender you can’t go into the draft hoping to find a starter.  For the Bills the draft is all about depth and replacing guys in 1-3 years. 

They need to find a starter at guard well before the draft - it’s really their only open position as starters assuming they’re comfortable starting Dane Jackson across from Tre White 

Edited by appoo

1 minute ago, appoo said:

I don’t know about that. If you’re a contender you can’t go into the draft hoping to find a starter.  For the Bills the draft is all about depth and replacing guys in 1-3 years. 

They need to find a starter at guard well before the draft 

That's what the 2nd tier guys are for. Another Bates/Boettger/DWilliams type, or 2.

And a 1st or 2nd round G would most definitely be a starter.

With the number of CBs and C/Gs the Bills have met with, we will be looking for starters at both positions from this draft.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

That's what the 2nd tier guys are for. Another Bates/Boettger/DWilliams type, or 2.

And a 1st or 2nd round G would most definitely be a starter.

With the number of CBs and C/Gs the Bills have met with, we will be looking for starters at both positions from this draft.

they also have to recreate some depth in the oline. All they have is Tommy Doyle I think, with Boettger coming off a torn Achilles. They’ll need a swing and a pure IOL who can contribute. 

Defensively, they’re not going to pay Levi Wallace starter money, so they need another corner there. 

Think that’s what they’ll use for tier 2 and draft. 

1 hour ago, BillsFan4 said:

I think you have to remember that one of the reasons we are cap strapped this year is due to the pandemic.

2021 was the first time the salary cap ever went down since it was put in place in 1994. No team really planned for that.

Next year the Bills are set to have like $51M in cap space (as of now).

Think one place the pandemic really messed things up for the Bills was Star taking a year off.  Otherwise he'd be cut by now with little hit and likely would have re-signed Phillips.  But now can't afford to cut Star so stuck with him and don't want to put another maybe $4 to $5 mil at the same spot to resign Phillips.  So he may be gone unless his value is much less than Phillips values himself.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The bills are totally trimming the fat although I would’ve liked to of seen a restructure on Williams

Yeah the $3.6M dead cap is money down the drain if he could have been kept for that amount as a back up. I get he does not fit a zone scheme.

I loved D.Williams the two years he was here. He was a dam fine RT in 2020 and kicked into guard and stabilized the RG position in 2021 (arguably was the best O-line player in 2021.) But I think this is a scheme fit situation along with a cap situation. Hoping the Bills are going hunting for guards in the off-season. 

• Like (+1) 1

I know this seems like a no brainer to many on here, but stepping back for a minute I think this is the poster child for much of what's wrong in the modern NFL salary carousel. I mean, it's not like Williams was a hold-over from a previous regime. He was given his current contract by the exact same people who just released him. I've never understood why this has to be the case. It would seem like roster stability would be welcome by both players and coaches alike. Instead we see these nutty contracts that rent-a-player for a year or two and then watch the same guys get tossed in the dumpster. I think the league, the union, and the teams could all do much better.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Magox said:

It’s another hole that will have to be filled.

Departures/possible Departures

QB - Trubisky

RB - Breida, Taiwan Jones

WR - Sanders,  Beasley

OL - Mongo, Darryl Williams,Boettger, Bates, Ford

TE - Gilliam, Sweeney

DL- Addison, Hughes, Obada, Butler, Star, Phillips 

LB - Klein, Matakavich

DB - Levi Wallace 

That’s 21 possible departures with a high likelihood of somewhere between 15-18 of them not being on the squad next year.

Thats potentially more turnover than we have had in years.

None of those names gives me a pause. The overwhelming majority come from the bottom of the roster where they can be replaced by cheap FA's or draft picks, the next biggest batch of guys at the top of the roster will be replaced by guys left behind them (DL/WR/LB).

Bates is an RFA that will be re-signed. We'll definitely draft an OL in the first 3 rounds. We'll address CB both in the Draft and FA. We could also draft a WR in the first 4 rounds or pick up an inexpensive veteran option if they feel like Hodgins or Stevenson will not be able to fill a Top 4 role for us. My expectation is that McKenzie is the new #3 based on the money he got.

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I think you have to remember that one of the reasons we are cap strapped this year is due to the pandemic.

2021 was the first time the salary cap ever went down since it was put in place in 1994. No team really planned for that.

Next year the Bills are set to have like $51M in cap space (as of now).

BF4, a solid take.  Yes, it doesn't change anything for this year, the last year of Allen's lower cap amount (which is perfect for super bowl runs), but  a really good point, brother.

I knew that, but hadn't considered it.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

The question is whether Kromer can do something with him.

Good luck with that. Ford was beyond abysmal last year. The best block I observed him make was against Darryl Williams in the Jax game. When he was on the field, the Bills were second worst in the NFL in pressures allowed and when Ford didn't play, they were second best in pressures allowed. Williams graded out much better at guard than tackle. Much of the reason is because Ford was next to him at RG when Williams played RT. Ford lowered the play of anyone next to him'

The Bills oline in 2021 was in a constant state of "musical chairs" for a variety of reasons and lacked any continuity until the last 4-5 weeks of the season and into the playoffs. However, the one constant was that any lineup they put on the field without Ford in it, was better than any lineup with him in it.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.