Bills release OL Daryl Williams

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, Magox said:

It’s another hole that will have to be filled.

Departures/possible Departures

QB - Trubisky

RB - Breida, Taiwan Jones

WR - Sanders,  Beasley

OL - Mongo, Darryl Williams,Boettger, Bates, Ford

TE - Gilliam, Sweeney

DL- Addison, Hughes, Obada, Butler, Star, Phillips 

LB - Klein, Matakavich

DB - Levi Wallace 

That’s 21 possible departures with a high likelihood of somewhere between 15-18 of them not being on the squad next year.

Thats potentially more turnover than we have had in years.

That’s a lot of turnover if we don’t get them back.  Some can go, some need to be resigned.  Either way, a lot of money we don’t have just yet.

I gotta think you dont make this move unless you know someone is coming to replace him that is better. I mean their interior offensive line right now is Cody Ford, Jacob Capra, and Mitch Morse. Ryan Bates technically hasn't been re-signed. Unless the plan is to move Dawkins inside they have to be signing one or two interior players to deals pretty soon after FA starts

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Here ya go.

"If the Bills move on from Williams, it could also signal that they would like to use more zone blocking principles. New offensive line coach Aaron Kromer, who most recently worked under Sean McVay with the Rams — an offense known for those principles. A zone blocking scheme favors athleticism ahead of power, needing the linemen to adapt and get to the second-level quickly or move off their spot to protect their area. Unfortunately, these are not Williams’ strengths. He is more of a power blocker with heavier feet than the rest of the offensive line. It’s also not McDermott’s first time hiring someone with a zone-blocking background. His first offensive coordinator hire, Rick Dennison, spent almost his entire career with Mike Shanahan. As a defensive coach, McDermott likely believes those offenses are extremely difficult to defend."

Also thought this was interesting-

Bills OL Relative Athletic Scores

PLAYER RELATIVE ATHLETIC SCORE

Spencer Brown

Tommy Doyle

Ryan Bates

Mitch Morse

Dion Dawkins

Daryl Williams

• Like (+1) 9
  • Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I think it was bound to happen, can't pay tackle money to him to play guard. When is Beasley move made? methinks it's coming soon

Exactly right.  Maybe they work something out down the road so he can come back getting paid as a guard, but there is no way you can justify paying him that money to play inside.

Just now, SWATeam said:

Also thought this was interesting-

Bills OL Relative Athletic Scores

PLAYER RELATIVE ATHLETIC SCORE

Spencer Brown

Tommy Doyle

Ryan Bates

Mitch Morse

Dion Dawkins

Daryl Williams

Yup.  He's heavy-footed and doesn't fit what they want to do.  Expect Cody Ford to follow him off the roster, perhaps by trade.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Magox said:

QB - Trubisky

WR - Sanders,  Beasley

TE - Gilliam, Sweeney

LB - Klein, Matakavich

DB - Levi Wallace 

That’s 21 possible departures with a high likelihood of somewhere between 15-18 of them not being on the squad next year.

Get used to it.  It's the price you pay when you are good.  Can't keep everyone.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This is helpful, but I think it would be ore helpful to distinguish the FA from the guys still under contract.

That's still Beasley, Ford, Lotulelei, and Matekavich.  Color key them or something?

I would but I'm on vacation with the family and this just came off the top of my head.

3 minutes ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

I figured he'd take a pay cut rather than straight cutting him

Not here, why would he?  Barring injury, he knows he lost the gig as the starting RT to Spencer Brown.  He thinks he can still play RT.  It may be his last payday, why wouldn't he prefer to see what the market will bear?

Just now, Magox said:

I would but I'm on vacation with the family and this just came off the top of my head.

I can do it if you want me to.  Enjoy your vacay

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am really surprised. I think OL is a priority, so I'd sign FA IOL starter, draft OL in first 3 rounds and keep Williams as primary backup. Seems that he didn't fit the scheme or was too expensive. I really hope a top guard is coming in FA.

Edited by No_Matter_What

13 minutes ago, Magox said:

QB - Trubisky

WR - Sanders,  Beasley

TE - Gilliam, Sweeney

LB - Klein, Matakavich

DB - Levi Wallace 

Bates & Phillips are the only ones to re-sign. 

5 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I gotta think you dont make this move unless you know someone is coming to replace him that is better. I mean their interior offensive line right now is Cody Ford, Jacob Capra, and Mitch Morse. Ryan Bates technically hasn't been re-signed. Unless the plan is to move Dawkins inside they have to be signing one or two interior players to deals pretty soon after FA starts

I expect them to tender Bates.  They may also re-sign Boettger - while I thought he did enough to get a contract, coming back from an injury as a lower-tier FA OL isn't the best look.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.