Bills release OL Daryl Williams

YoloinOhio

6 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I suppose the truth is he sucked at T and was ok at G, so with Brown taking the T spot and Saffold coming in at G (presuming he plays RG), this was no shock.

In 2020 he was very solid at RT. At RG I feel he was more average and I really haven’t seen anything that suggests he was this awful RG like some fans claims.

I think there’s a chance he’s still back.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

In 2020 he was very solid at RT. At RG I feel he was more average and I really haven’t seen anything that suggests he was this awful RG like some fans claims.

I think there’s a chance he’s still back.

I think the problem is that he was solid as a right tackle then got a good contract then the following year was not sold as of right tackle moving him to guard if he wanted to meet guard money maybe he would still be here

42 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

Are they?  How can anyone confidently say that?

When Brown went down and Williams went to RT, the line was horrible. Williams looked lost out there. Just watch the Jax game as an example. A lot of people say Bates stabilized the line. It was actually Brown retuning and Williams kicking back to RG. Bates played well enough, but the right side of the line was a circus act with Williams at RT. I think Doyle has a chance to be good. I like that we put him in as an extra lineman/TE a few times. Coaches felt he had to get in because he shows promise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Dopey said:

When Brown went down and Williams went to RT, the line was horrible. Williams looked lost out there. Just watch the Jax game as an example. A lot of people say Bates stabilized the line. It was actually Brown retuning and Williams kicking back to RG. Bates played well enough, but the right side of the line was a circus act with Williams at RT. I think Doyle has a chance to be good. I like that we put him in as an extra lineman/TE a few times. Coaches felt he had to get in because he shows promise.

Brown really struggled this year and has chronic back problems.  I'm not sold on him at all.  He spends way too much time on the ground.  Not good for a guy with a back injury.

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Part of that is becauise Ford was starting next to him at RG and every time Ford stepped on the field last year he managed to bring down the level of play of the players on each side of him. When Williams was at RG, he had the 2nd overall highest rating (behind Dawkins) on the oline. The line did stabilize when Brown returned to the lineup. Part of that was Brown improving at the RT spot (had his share of struggles but played well down the stretch), but also because Dawkins was returning to form, Batesheld up the LG spot pretty well, all players were in the positions that worked best for the team, and Ford was on the bench.

The best combination on the the Oline turned out to be Dawkins, Bates, Morse, Williams, and Brown, and they only played together in 5 games. But when they did, the offense averaged close to 200 yds rushing, 430+ yds of total offense, and 36 pts per game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I think the problem is that he was solid as a right tackle then got a good contract then the following year was not sold as of right tackle moving him to guard if he wanted to meet guard money maybe he would still be here

I actually think he wouldn't still be here. 

1) Every OL coach likes to bring in a couple of "his guys" to help teach his techniques and help him "keep the room" when tempers flare.  The guy who will look over and just say "Johnny - be coachable" if a player gets critiqued in practice and starts kicking rocks in the locker room   Pretty clear in his interview Saffold is Kromer's guy. 

2) I don't think Williams and Feliciano fit what Kromer wants to do with the line

3) When a guy who started 16 games at T and won a new contract sucks as badly as Williams did to start the season, Something is Wrong.   Either he got Paid and Demotivated, or he's battling a chronic injury, or he's fighting a personal battle with addiction or chronic illness.

It's not a situation like Ford where he starts at RT and it doesn't work out so you decide to see if he can play G.  Williams played RT so well he won a new contract and we were all like "OK that spot's locked down" at RT.  Until the season started and we were all "WTF is going on here?"

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

1) Every OL coach likes to bring in a couple of "his guys" to help teach his techniques and help him "keep the room" when tempers flare.  The guy who will look over and just say "Johnny - be coachable" if a player gets critiqued in practice and starts kicking rocks in the locker room   Pretty clear in his interview Saffold is Kromer's guy. 

2) I don't think Williams and Feliciano fit what Kromer wants to do with the line

3) When a guy who started 16 games at T and won a new contract sucks as badly as Williams did to start the season, Something is Wrong.   Either he got Paid and Demotivated, or he's battling a chronic injury, or he's fighting a personal battle with addiction or chronic illness.

It's not a situation like Ford where he starts at RT and it doesn't work out so you decide to see if he can play G.  Williams played RT so well he won a new contract and we were all like "OK that spot's locked down" at RT.  Until the season started and we were all "WTF is going on here?"

he played really well but got bounced off of his prior team too.  spain seemed to have an issue like that too.

a lot of big guys get a contract and lose motivation.  i dunno if it's just the feeling of being a giant ogre of a person, or entering the smash gauntlet every single day and getting tired of it.

Smith, the guy who made all pro as a DE and DT in the same season was the 4th overall pick by cincy, but basically didnt' give a crap there and left for SF where he went from a decent player to a monster in a human skin suit.

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

Part of that is becauise Ford was starting next to him at RG and every time Ford stepped on the field last year he managed to bring down the level of play of the players on each side of him. When Williams was at RG, he had the 2nd overall highest rating (behind Dawkins) on the oline. The line did stabilize when Brown returned to the lineup. Part of that was Brown improving at the RT spot (had his share of struggles but played well down the stretch), but also because Dawkins was returning to form, Batesheld up the LG spot pretty well, all players were in the positions that worked best for the team, and Ford was on the bench.

The best combination on the the Oline turned out to be Dawkins, Bates, Morse, Williams, and Brown, and they only played together in 5 games. But when they did, the offense averaged close to 200 yds rushing, 430+ yds of total offense, and 36 pts per game.

Agree with your last paragraph completely.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

From my understanding, he didn’t move to RG because he was lacking at RT, but rather because Ford was a disaster and the Williams/Brown combo was better than whoever they were going to plug into RG to play next to him.

1 hour ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

I know it's a long shot, but:

If DW is currently a 3.6mil cap hit and he somehow were to re-sign for the Bills at a salary which is over 3.6mil, does that original dead cap hit become null and void?

No, unfortunately 

1 hour ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

I know it's a long shot, but:

If DW is currently a 3.6mil cap hit and he somehow were to re-sign for the Bills at a salary which is over 3.6mil, does that original dead cap hit become null and void?

No "dead money" is on its own.

11 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Brown really struggled this year and has chronic back problems.  I'm not sold on him at all.  He spends way too much time on the ground.  Not good for a guy with a back injury.

Has he had any issues with his back besides the one time he had an issue this year? 

Edit: Just checked college injuries and there's no mention of back injuries 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Huh?  That's quite an assumption.

10 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Has he had any issues with his back besides the one time he had an issue this year? 

Edit: Just checked college injuries and there's no mention of back injuries 

The joke around the locker room is that he has a back of a 90 year old.   The guy can barely get up when he ends up on the ground, which is pretty much every other play.

4 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

The joke around the locker room is that he has a back of a 90 year old.   The guy can barely get up when he ends up on the ground, which is pretty much every other play.

Amazing how a guy can barely get up off the ground but yet, passes a physical every year and not to mention, zero delay of game penalties.

• 5 months later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.