FA Target Wishlist - Cordarrelle Patterson

Virgil

Even at age 31, I would love to see us make a run at Patterson.  I think he'd fit perfectly into this offense and can absorb the roles of different players.  He can line up in the backfield on 3rd and long, he can run the sweeps, and return kicks.  He brings speed with him that has to be respected.

I can't see him fetching a huge price on the market and I know he wants to sign with the Falcons.  Also, there's been absolutely nothing linking him to the Bills.

With all of that, I hope we make an attempt if he hits the open market.

• Like (+1) 14
  • Agree 9
  • Thank you (+1) 2

So many higher priorities.

And with 1100 yards from scrimmage last year, I think he's going to get quite a bit more than you think.

It's not like I'd mind but we have so many more urgent needs and so little money to spend, I think he's a bad use of resources.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

Agreed on Patterson.

Another ideal FA target: WR Christian Kirk

He fills 3 vacant spots with just his 1.

- WR Mckenzie is gone

- WR Sanders is gone

- Cut WR Beasley, save money on the cap

Roughly 80% of Kirk's snaps in 2021 came out of the slot. In 1 player, Kirk would be replacing the 3 dudes above. With Diggs and Davis cemented as the 2 outside WRs, Kirk slots in perfectly as the slot receiver. He adds an explosive element from the slot. It's a great match/fit. 

You don't save money on the cap by cutting bease if his replacement has like double the cap hit.  

I’d love Patterson too. We need playmakers and he’s definitely a playmaker. Can lineup @ RB, WR and is possibly the best return man in the game.  

Maybe he takes less to join a winner?  Spotrac has him at over 9M aav.  No way we pay him close to that much imo.  doubt he becomes a bill

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Even at age 31, I would love to see us make a run at Patterson.  I think he'd fit perfectly into this offense and can absorb the roles of different players.  He can line up in the backfield on 3rd and long, he can run the sweeps, and return kicks.  He brings speed with him that has to be respected.

I can't see him fetching a huge price on the market and I know he wants to sign with the Falcons.  Also, there's been absolutely nothing linking him to the Bills.

I like patterson - but 8-10M for a gadget RB/WR/KR is a lot.  He also doesn't return punts which means Hyde? Or a new WR/DB that isn't on the roster yet.

D’Onta Foreman to pair with Singletary.  Can probably get him fairly cheap.  Patterson would be nice too cause he can spell Singletary and take the return duties.  

Foreman and Berrios for the offense.  Releasing Cole and signing Berrios should pretty much be a wash and getting much younger at the slot WR

Edited by CaptnCoke11

If McKenzie decides grass is greener elsewhere and we want to move on from Beasley, how about Braxton Berrios from the Jets?  Fills slot role, jet sweep role, kick returner role, plus weakens division opponent.  No idea what he would cost on the open market.  Would it make sense to approach a guy like this and say, "play one year on a below market deal with Josh and you'll hit the open market next year and make a fortune."

7 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

D’Onta Foreman to pair with Singletary.  Can probably get him fairly cheap.  Patterson would be nice too cause he can spell Singletary and take the return duties. 

Was just going to say Foreman.  

6 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

If McKenzie decides grass is greener elsewhere and we want to move on from Beasley, how about Braxton Berrios from the Jets?  Fills slot role, jet sweep role, kick returner role, plus weakens division opponent.  No idea what he would cost on the open market.  Would it make sense to approach a guy like this and say, "play one year on a below market deal with Josh and you'll hit the open market next year and make a fortune."

That's a lot like Belichick singing Weller from the Dolphins. 

Josh would certainly elevate his game.

55 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Honestly, I would suggest that his close friendship with Diggs may link him here. 

Leslie Frazier was also Head Coach of the Vikings when he was drafted there.

He's also over 30. McBeane love bringing in those players. Go for it!

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I like patterson - but 8-10M for a gadget RB/WR/KR is a lot.  He also doesn't return punts which means Hyde? Or a new WR/DB that isn't on the roster yet.

he signed for $3m with Falcons for 2021.   He will want more for 2022, but thats a pretty low starting place

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I would like to see him come here too. He is 31, but a young 31 by NFL standards. He's only has 836 touches in his 9 year career. 320 carries, 268 catches and 258 returns.

Donte Jackson. His projection is roughly ten mil per year. He has the speed and willingness to tackle that would be ideal in this vanilla defense. 

The LSU tandem of White and Jackson would be light years ahead of what we just watched a few weeks ago. 

Signing a starting corner would give the Bills tons of flexibility come draft day. If A top notch offensive player slides down the board I think that would make it harder for McD and Beane to justify taking another defender and ignoring OLINE or WR. 

I'd rather the focus be on defense through FA and the draft more offensive. A pass rusher, DT and CB through FA... OL, speed WR etc. in the draft would be my preference imo. I like Patterson he's one of those multi-talented players but his cap hit would be too rich for my blood, I think you could find players like this late, I think Tarik Cohen/Darnell Mooney types late in the draft.

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

Any idea why he doesn't return punts?  I guess I just assumed he did that as well

He’s a good target because of the multiple roles he can play, as people have stated. Similarly, people are correct he COULD be too pricey for the Bills cap situation. However, maybe he will be a test for the belief that josh Allen will be a magnet for players. Will he play for the $$, or Chance for the ring?

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

I'm looking at TE2 in free agency.  Mo Alie-Cox please.

I have thought about this name too. He makes sense because he is a blocking tight end but he has shown some ability as a receiver the past two years. He is potentially a really nice compliment to Dawson Knox. He will be 29 by the time the season starts so I'd only want to sign him to like a 2 year deal, but that makes sense to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, offyourocker said:

I love the idea of Patterson.  Fills multiple roles for us and then I want to see them find a way to get someone like Chandler Jones.  We need more impact at that position

Patterson 9M, Jones 14m plus.  Better hope we hit home runs with every draft pick and minimum free agents 

• Like (+1) 1

I think it’s a real possibility. At this point in his career he’s probably looking for a ring. The bills are one of the better teams to give them that chance if you were to sign with us. He’s made an OK amount of money through his career so I’m not sure he’s looking for that last big payday and besides I’m not sure a team would really give it to him anyways.

With that said, I would probably prefer to try to find a way to resign McKenzie if it came down to McKenzie or Patterson.

Hard to predict what the salaries would be but it feels like McKenzie would be more expensive. McKenzie is looking for that first big payday. And I can’t blame him for that.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

So many higher priorities.

And with 1100 yards from scrimmage last year, I think he's going to get quite a bit more than you think.

It's not like I'd mind but we have so many more urgent needs and so little money to spend, I think he's a bad use of resources.

I agree Thurman if the price tag is too high. It just depends on what Patterson is looking for at this point in his career. That last big contract or a chance at a ring?I agree Thurman if the price tag is too high. It just depends on what Patterson is looking for at this point in his career. That last big contract or a chance at a ring?

Perhaps he’ll end up going back to New England. I imagine they have a better cab situation than the bills. It wouldn’t be his best opportunity for a ring but he’d probably be going to at least  a competitive team.

1 hour ago, SWATeam said:

I'm looking at TE2 in free agency.  Mo Alie-Cox please.

Knox-n-Cox…, 

there’s a joke in there somewhere…, 

26 minutes ago, FFadpecr said:

The whole point is to upgrade and get younger at WR.

Kirk would be worth the cap hit over Beasley, because he's a lot better at this time.

I think Kirk would be a nice acquisition back him up with a draft pick in the mid rounds for depth and longer term development. But I do wonder what Kirk's price range would be. IF the Bills cut Beasley and Mongo along with doing all the restructuring they can minus Star (as nice as saving 3 million would be restructuring him now would land the team at a much harder spot to cut him in 2023) they will land at about 36 million in cap space. That's about 25ish million to work with minus rookies and emergencies. 

Assuming the team resigns Phillips, Levi and either Hughes or Addison along with restricted free agents Zimmer and Bates as well as possibly one or two players on minimum deals like Neal or Ike that's probably not going to leave the team too much to work with. There likely will be maybe 6-7 million to work with but would that be enough for a player like Kirk? Or is that money spent better elsewhere like resigning Mac?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Give me Gronk, Fournette, and a 1st Round WR with some speed/gadgetry and this offense ain’t gonna be stopped.  
Patterson would be great but think Bills could get more bang for their buck.  

I would rather the team focus on keeping its own players but I do like the idea of brining some speed to the offense. This team lacks a big time play breaker. The closest this team has had to that is Mac, but he is more of a gadget player than a consistent "speed" receiving threat. 

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I have thought about this name too. He makes sense because he is a blocking tight end but he has shown some ability as a receiver the past two years. He is potentially a really nice compliment to Dawson Knox. He will be 29 by the time the season starts so I'd only want to sign him to like a 2 year deal, but that makes sense to me. 

Love the size.  Think there's some upside there as he's a converted basketball player and TE's generally take longer to develop anyways.  If not him, there is a ton of interesting FA TE's this year.  I think we will clearly be addressing TE2 in FA.  

1 hour ago, CommonCents said:

Donte Jackson. His projection is roughly ten mil per year. He has the speed and willingness to tackle that would be ideal in this vanilla defense. 

The LSU tandem of White and Jackson would be light years ahead of what we just watched a few weeks ago. 

Signing a starting corner would give the Bills tons of flexibility come draft day. If A top notch offensive player slides down the board I think that would make it harder for McD and Beane to justify taking another defender and ignoring OLINE or WR. 

17M for Tre, 10M for Poyer, 10M for Hyde, 7.5M for Taron Johnson PLUS 10M for Jackson?  Oh man.  Oooooooh man

14 minutes ago, Process said:

The guy took 9 years to become relevant, is 31yo and will likely get way overpaid. No thanks. 

Sign someone like McKinnon and draft a WR in the first two rounds. 

Something like this is much more likely. 

1 hour ago, CommonCents said:

He’d be super nice to have but I don’t see Beane dumping another huge contract into the secondary.  I think our corner will come in the draft.  

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

@JGMcD2 there's your cue!

Virgil: how do you know he wants to sign with the Falcons?

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

I’d love Patterson too. We need playmakers and he’s definitely a playmaker. Can lineup @ RB, WR and is possibly the best return man in the game.  

Maybe he takes less to join a winner?  Spotrac has him at over 9M aav.  No way we pay him close to that much imo.  doubt he becomes a bill

Just a note that Spotrac has come in high on a number of contracts last year due to the cap dropping, and that while it's gone back up the residual impact rolls into this season because a lot of teams renegotiated contracts and kicked their cap hits forward.

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Berrios or Patterson. Whoever is willing to sign under 7M. Both are excellent return guys who can play the slot. We could realistically lose Beasley,  McKenzie and Sanders. Berrios led the NFL in K/O returns and 2nd in punt returns. 

So Berrios was on IR at the end of the season with a quad injury.  Anyone know anything about how serious this is?

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.