Malik Willis: The next Josh Allen?

YoloinOhio

I’ve seen (watched) Malik play several games the past two years at Liberty. I don’t see him as a Josh Allen. I would say he’s more like Jalen Hurts, but not as fast and not as good a thrower— and that’s not saying much. He does not have Josh Allen potential. 

But it is cool that people are trying to find the next Josh Allen. 

• Like (+1) 2

Allen is a 1 of 1. There won't be another Josh Allen. Hasn't ever been before in 80 years of the NFL, now all of a sudden we are supposed to believe there is one coming out ever year? C'mon man.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

What about Josh Allen does Willis possess? Willis is 6’1 and 225. Josh is 6’4 and 240. Willis has a big arm with not much accuracy. I guess now that Josh is one of the best QB’s in the league people will try to compare anyone coming out of college who has those qualities to him. 

Agreed, although Josh is 6’5. So basically everything this guy said as a comparison between Willis and Allen is lazy, worthless and also flat out wrong. 6’1 and 6’5 aren’t even in the same universe. 

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes it is! They are friends. But tbh, Josh is friends with everyone. 

I had to mute “Josh Allen” on Twitter for a week after that game because I couldn’t take it anymore. I missed a bunch of stuff about our JA but I had no choice. 

Kept seeing various College team themed tweets talking about how their team made him have a bad game. Did make me wonder if Josh could also play defense when in one clip he ran down the DB that got a pick off him before he could actually gain any yards.

3 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

“The next Josh Allen” will be a myth scouts use to make crazy picks for the next decade trying to hit on a guy with non quantifiable skills. 

And when you watch Allen's WY highlights there's multiple instances of him making throws no one else on the planet can make. 

That's what all the knuckle head stats geeks missed, his natural, one of a kind talent. 

• Like (+1) 3

I’ve been saying he will be the first QB taken in the draft and Josh Allen comparisons will be aplenty because of the rawness, big arm, and mobility.  Doesn’t mean he will be the next Allen, just saying for those 3 reasons he will get a lot of comparisons, fair or not.  Just like Trey Lance did last year.

He is likely going to go in the top 10, and don’t be surprised if the Giants draft him.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

I am a Liberty fan of sorts. Watched at bet almost every game. Saw them in person against the Ragin Cajun’s. My son and I said his game is so much like Tyrod. He is probably a slightly bigger, faster, but not quicker, Tyrod. He isn’t great in rhythm, but he can scramble and has a big arm. He is no Josh Allen. There is no Josh Allen. He is the best of Favre, Aaron Rogers, And Tim Tebow (as a runner) as we will ever have. There is no single fitting comparison to JA. He is a better runner and passer than Steve Young. And Young is in the HOF. Pinch yourself. This is our guy for 15 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

Willis is a good QB prospect, but he reminds me more of Kyler Murray than Josh Allen.

Allen was a MACHINE in college highlights. Superman. 

He wasn't a machine. His QB percentage was low and his team's sucked. He had a huge arm and size. The ceiling was very very high. It was high risk high reward. Allen is one of the few QBs that has dramatically improved his accuracy. It's rarely seen. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

He wasn't a machine. His QB percentage was low and his team's sucked. He had a huge arm and size. The ceiling was very very high. It was high risk high reward. Allen is one of the few QBs that has dramatically improved his accuracy. It's rarely seen. 

Accuracy/precision and completion percentage is not the same 

College football's all time completion percentage leaders are loaded with guys who did Jack in the NFL 

Dan Marino is a 58% passer he must suck too  

Josh's inconsistencies which is different than being inaccurate.. were more to do with his poor lower body mechanics and he's a very coachable person

Kiper Jr said it best when he said stats are for losers when talking about Josh... Eye test is all you need

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

College football's all time completion percentage leaders are loaded with guys who did Jack in the NFL 

Josh's inconsistencies which is different than being inaccurate.. were more to do with his poor lower body mechanics and he's a very coachable person

Kiper Jr said it best when he said stats are for losers when talking about Josh... Eye test is all you need

Funny you say that. Where did Kiper and pretty much all the so called experts have Allen rated in his QB draft class?  It wasn't not #1 by almost all accounts. His ceiling was the highest but it was a bigger risk than the others. The Bills swung for the fences and hit a home run. Kiper is full is poop...

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Funny you say that. Where did Kiper and pretty much all the so called experts have Allen rated in his QB draft class?  It wasn't not #1 by almost all accounts. His ceiling was the highest but it was a bigger risk than the others. The Bills swung for the fences and hit a home run. Kiper is full is poop...

He was Kiper's #1. You can dig out a lot of draft analysts on Josh Allen, but Mel Kiper isn't one of them. He had a super high grade on Josh said he was the best QB in the class and it was like the 10th highest QB grade Kiper has ever given. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

They are pundits .. 

And even the ones who didn't like him still thought he was first round caliber ,they just didn't like him over the other guys 

The browns seriously considered drafting him first , the bills did make the move ... The Cardinals wanted too 

Every player in the draft is a risk, nothing is sure at the end of the day 

People here said Allen had accuracy issues too, even after taking us to the playoffs .. when it's clear there's a difference between accuracy issues and inconsistencies

EJ Manuel is inaccurate.. Josh Allen was inconsistent 

Josh makes throws that an inaccurate quarterback couldn't make in his sleep

13 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Senior Bowl memories:

The hype season has begun remember just last year when Zack Wilson had rare arm talent ….
and Justin Fields and Trevor Lawarence was the next geat QB duel…

And arguably the best QB pick was Davis Mills in the 3rd round to the Texans 

Need to give those bad teams hope 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He was Kiper's #1. You can dig out a lot of draft analysts on Josh Allen, but Mel Kiper isn't one of them. He had a super high grade on Josh said he was the best QB in the class and it was like the 10th highest QB grade Kiper has ever given. 

Yeh Gunner you make a great point if there is one analyst who is crowing its Mel Kiper who rubs it it in to Todd Mcshay and Louis Riddick every chance he gets as he really was the lone guy at ESPN who believed in Allen. There’s a clip of Mina Kines laughing at Josh when he got drafted.

• Agree 1

Josh is one in a thousand.  Literally you can have a thousand QBs with Josh's profile coming out of college, and only he will turn into a great QB.  Most will bust.

Anyway, with Willis, he doesn't have Josh's size and he doesn't have Josh's intelligence.  Poor comparison in the first place.

3 minutes ago, harryS said:

Josh is one in a thousand.  Literally you can have a thousand QBs with Josh's profile coming out of college, and only he will turn into a great QB.  Most will bust.

Anyway, with Willis, he doesn't have Josh's size and he doesn't have Josh's intelligence.  Poor comparison in the first place.

And while his arm looks strong, it doesn't look nearly as strong as Josh's.  As has been said several times already, people just want to put out the lazy narrative and want to be able to say "hey I was right about this guy, I was the only one" 

14 hours ago, KzooMike said:

This is going to become an annual thing involving any QB that has a strong arm and is mobile but to me it's as lazy as saying he's the next Tom Brady. You can't find another Josh. He is not made up of traits that you can look for and duplicate outside of very broad terms. Tom Brady is accurate, Josh Allen has a strong arm, etc. 

This was what always annoyed me with comparing Mac Jones to Brady. Its an insult to Brady. Dude won 7 SBs

Mac Jones wins 7 games in a row, basically the same thing according to the media. Ridiculous 

12 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

I miss watching JA17 play :(

I got you

I stand corrected. Kiper has been wrong as much as he's been right. There are plenty of Qbs he has whiffed on Allen just wasn't one of them. Most of these draft evaluators are no more accurate than serious fans who know football. I clearly remember Dilfer talking about Allen saying he had the highest ceiling of any QB he's seen. He talked about his big arm and his weakenesses. In the end, most Qbs don't become franchise ones. Kudos to the Bills they finally got one after years and years of drafting mediocre Qbs. 

Edited by newcam2012

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Exactly, even with a low completion percentage, Josh was hitting insane throws with amazing accuracy. What he lacked was consistency in his mechanics to hit the easy throws with regularity. He was never inaccurate, he was inconsistent mainly due to never really being coached up on his mechanics. 

It's so easy to flame out at QB.  Developing pocket presence, accuracy, platform.  The confidence to throw in tight windows, the body clock.  The list goes on.  

I like that Beane still goes with toolsets on a lot of his draft picks though.  Big arm QB.  Long armed DE in Rousseau.  Explosive jump in Oliver.  Size and speed in edmunds.  etc.  They won't all work out, but if players develop their peak is higher than others at the position. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.