How confident are you about the Bills going into the playoffs?

Steptide

1 minute ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I agree with them giving it their best shot. It felt like at times they slept walked through games and I bit them in the butt a few times. I don’t see that happening in the playoffs.

A good example is Jacksonville.  You can't tell me the team approached that game like a playoff game!  

If they had, we wouldn't have lost.

There were ups and downs through the year, but that's all over now (or soon).

It's all 110% foot to the floor come playoff time, and that's why it's so magical! 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

A good example is Jacksonville.  You can't tell me the team approached that game like a playoff game!  

If they had, we wouldn't have lost.

There were ups and downs through the year, but that's all over now (or soon).

It's all 110% foot to the floor come playoff time, and that's why it's so magical! 

I think josh was pressing for the big play that game because he didn’t trust we could put a long drive together with the bad blocking/consistent penalties we were taking.     I don’t think we’ll see a game like that from him again…he might have had a worse passer rating this week technically but he was real bad in that Jacksonville game.  Gotta trust those guys up front 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Gotta be honest, there has been something disjointed about this team all year.  It goes beyond the odd losses to the Steelers, and Jaguars and has something to do with the passing game.  I think Josh has had a fine season, but the team's inability to strike fast bothers me a lot.  

When is the last time you can remember the Bills being able to hit a go route?   It seems Josh has a lot of trouble being accurate on the long ball.   The Bills longest passing play of the year ranks 31st in the league, that puts Josh behind guys like Teddy B, Sam Darnold, Joe Flacco and Tua.   Additionally, his current Y/A is 6.9, good for 20th in the league, think Carson Wentz, and Ryan Tannehill.  The guy is a baller, and I love that he is our QB but with the inability to hit a real game turning play and an uptick in interceptions, I am incredibly worried about the playoffs, especially if they have to play from behind.  What is the point of being able to throw it 80 yards in the air if you cant hit a WR in stride?

Josh Allen is not alone here.  The Bills WR group also worries me.  They simply arent an explosive group.   Right now they are 20th in the league in yards after catch.   Maybe its Josh holding the ball too long, and not allowing the wideouts to catch the ball in stride, but whatever the case the Bills offensive weapons just dont turn short passes into long gains.

The Bills seem like a team destined to make it into the second round but not much beyond.

Edited by thenorthremembers
  • Agree 1

If anyone really cares I would say I'm optimistic rather than confident...

They played fantastic against the Patriots two weeks ago... I would like to see this level of play every week in the playoffs, and that is probably what is required to win the championship...but to think they could maintain this level of play for 4 games in a row seems unlikely from what they have shown so far this season

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I am guarded.  The offense can roll over teams, especially given that Motir has picked up the pace.  But the defense still allows too many second half drives to let the opposition get close.  When we go up the D should stomp on the other team’s neck, but too often they walk right down the field.

Last 6 games 2nd half TDS 

NO - 1 
NE - 0 (weather)

TB - 1 (OT)

CAR - 1 (late 4th)

NE - 2 

ATL - 0 

so In the last 6 games we gave up 5 2nd half TDs

its a bend but not break D that’s how it’s designed no big plays 

I'm optimistic, but the main thing that gives me heartburn is that, no matter how well the defense is playing, they have a bad habit of giving up a huge play at the worst times. You can never feel confident with this defense—overall they'll play well, but huge plays can turn games in a hurry.

I was once married to a generous, beautiful, and gracious Colombian woman with Borderline Personality Disorder.  Sometimes she was amazing.  Other times, it was as if she was an entirely different, and not very likeable, person.   I never knew which one I was going to wake up next to.  

That's how I feel about the Jekyll-and-Hyde Bills.  They beat KC in KC and the Pats in Foxboro - but lost to the woeful Jags.  This team can beat anybody but can also lose to anybody.

I'm just hoping for the beautiful Jekyll Bills go on a roll and that we don't see the monstrous Mr. Hyde Bills in the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 1

we are probably better than a typical 4 seed because (a) we have a QB that can get hot and carry a team deep into the playoffs and (b) our point differential has been good, but beyond that, there are definitely going to be 3-4 other teams I'm more confident in going deeper than the Bills.

still, that's a way better situation than most.

8 minutes ago, harryS said:

we are probably better than a typical 4 seed because (a) we have a QB that can get hot and carry a team deep into the playoffs and (b) our point differential has been good, but beyond that, there are definitely going to be 3-4 other teams I'm more confident in going deeper than the Bills.

still, that's a way better situation than most.

So grateful to have hope this time of year rather than wondering how long the draught will last.  

I don't ever want to take achieving a playoff berth for granted.  

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I was once married to a generous, beautiful, and gracious Colombian woman with Borderline Personality Disorder.  Sometimes she was amazing.  Other times, it was as if she was an entirely different, and not very likeable, person.   I never knew which one I was going to wake up next to.  

That's how I feel about the Jekyll-and-Hyde Bills.  They beat KC in KC and the Pats in Foxboro - but lost to the woeful Jags.  This team can beat anybody but can also lose to anybody.

I'm just hoping for the beautiful Jekyll Bills go on a roll and that we don't see the monstrous Mr. Hyde Bills in the playoffs.  

Fair enough, but which AFC team has played a clean season without a weird upset loss or two?  Someone from this conference is making the SB and they all have head scratchers this year.

2 hours ago, balln said:

back to the thread.... not confident. the one thing they have proven is to be really bad in the red zone (i know they rank 15th or something but they should/have to be top 3 with the QB and defense they have) , play calling is head scratching, D is not championship caliber against the run, and they are turning over the ball and committing a lot of penalties 

I hear what you are saying. The have vastly improved their offense since the second half of the Tampa game. They are letting Josh cook with his legs, improved run scheme leading to better running, more RPOs and motion, added McKenzie back to the offense, and most importantly a much better Oline which is giving Allen more time and opening holes in the run game. I'm not overly concerned with the turnovers. I don't really think it's a huge issue. 

Defensively is more of a concern. Run stop vs a top notch runner with a good QB will be a challenge. The pass rush is slightly improved but still inconsistent and not sure how reliable it is. The pass defense is decent but not the same without lock down Tre. He will be greatly missed in the playoffs. 

I can see the Bill's losing in the first round or making a super bowl appearance for the AFC. The conference seems pretty wide open. What is encouraging is the Bill's have an elite QB who can lead and carry this team very far. Lastly, this isn't uncharted territory for the Bill's. The moment shouldn't be overwhelming. 

Go Bills!

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

If anyone really cares I would say I'm optimistic rather than confident...

They played fantastic against the Patriots two weeks ago... I would like to see this level of play every week in the playoffs, and that is probably what is required to win the championship...but to think they could maintain this level of play for 4 games in a row seems unlikely from what they have shown so far this season

E65814CB-A76A-44DC-BBD5-A26A5D7263F8.jpeg

I had to think about this question for a while because I wasn't really sure.  If I am to be honest then I will say that I was more confident last year.  The way I feel this year is if the Bills bring their A game that there is no stopping them.  If they don't then they could lose to anyone in the playoffs.  Im not really sure how that translates into confidence.

I'll be excited but nervous on WC weekend I suspect. That really wasn't the case last season.  I wasn't nervous for any game.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Gotta be honest, there has been something disjointed about this team all year.  It goes beyond the odd losses to the Steelers, and Jaguars and has something to do with the passing game.  I think Josh has had a fine season, but the team's inability to strike fast bothers me a lot.  

When is the last time you can remember the Bills being able to hit a go route?   It seems Josh has a lot of trouble being accurate on the long ball.   The Bills longest passing play of the year ranks 31st in the league, that puts Josh behind guys like Teddy B, Sam Darnold, Joe Flacco and Tua.   Additionally, his current Y/A is 6.9, good for 20th in the league, think Carson Wentz, and Ryan Tannehill.  The guy is a baller, and I love that he is our QB but with the inability to hit a real game turning play and an uptick in interceptions, I am incredibly worried about the playoffs, especially if they have to play from behind.  What is the point of being able to throw it 80 yards in the air if you cant hit a WR in stride?

Josh Allen is not alone here.  The Bills WR group also worries me.  They simply arent an explosive group.   Right now they are 20th in the league in yards after catch.   Maybe its Josh holding the ball too long, and not allowing the wideouts to catch the ball in stride, but whatever the case the Bills offensive weapons just dont turn short passes into long gains.

The Bills seem like a team destined to make it into the second round but not much beyond.

this. theres no big play/ take it to the house guy on O. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I had to think about this question for a while because I wasn't really sure.  If I am to be honest then I will say that I was more confident last year.  The way I feel this year is if the Bills bring their A game that there is no stopping them.  If they don't then they could lose to anyone in the playoffs.  Im not really sure how that translates into confidence.

I'll be excited but nervous on WC weekend I suspect. That really wasn't the case last season.  I wasn't nervous for any game.

I'll add to the bolded that I expected to be more confident this year after the deep run last year and the KC win this year. I expected more after the KC win, but it's felt like the Bills took a step backwards since. 

Overall I have no doubt this team is capable of a deep run and winning it all. But I also think that any fan that is confident their team will win it all is either an idiot or had the good fortune of being a fan of Brady's Patriots, Alabama football or Torre's Yankees.

Despite some recent lapses in concentration and execution, I think we're on an upward trajectory at the right time of the year - but then so are the Chiefs, Titans and Bengals. Throw COVID and winter weather conditions into the equation and it is very hard to predict how far we will go.

Confident but not overconfident.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I was hoping for them to be in better form than they currently are, unfortunately.

Of course, they might kick it into gear in the Jets game and stay there.

They also might get it going in the first playoff game and stay at that level as well.

So you never know.

I do wish we had been playing at a higher level--consistently--than we have been, however.

If JA isn't enough, forget everything else.

This team will go as far as he can carry us on his back.

BTW, that's how it works with ALL football teams.

It's all about the QB, all the time.

Yup, football has always been known as the great one on one sport.

On 1/4/2022 at 7:25 PM, thenorthremembers said:

Any stat comparison with Josh Allen that involves the likes of  Cooper Rush, Davis Mills, and Tayson Hill I can give two rats asses about. How about show me what QB has the most amount of 20 yard passes or 40 yards passes. You know the type of passes that are repeatable during the course of the season if you want to talk about the deep passing game. 

You talking about go routes. You do realize that it kinda hard to hit a bunch of go routes when team play 2 high safety the majority of the game against you. I would bet that Allen is in the top 10 in the league facing 2 high coverages.

This is the perfect example of looking at a meaningless stat and making conclusion with no context what so ever.

Maybe we can have this conversation later if the Bills arent in the top 7 in passing yards and Top 5 in scoring especially with us primary being a pass 1st team.

Does Allen need to improve is straight line deep passing probality yes. Is it at the point is so relevant to that it is a issue this year? Not even close

Edited by Protocal69
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Pretty sure the shoulder injury that sunk cam newtons career was on a passing play not a designed run lol 

Even if Newton had never been injured... he isn't, wasn't, hasn't been nearly as good as Allen is as a passer...and never has...

10 seasons in the NFL and Newton has had only four seasons at 60% passing or above. Out of those ten seasons he has had only 3 that were winning seasons 2013-2015-2017. His QB record is 69-60-1.

His TDs, he has only one season with 30+ TD passes. In 2015 with 35 TDs, and the next season in 2016 went 6-8 with a 52.5 completion percentage, 19 TD passes. Newton threw for 4000 yards only once, his first season.

Newton barley breaking 20 TD passes a season most of his career.

Allen, in his four years in the league, 10 TDs, 20 TDs, 37 TDs respectively, and 34 already this year. Completion percentage, 52.8, 58.8, 69.2, 64.1 and we also know that Allen hasn't been one to take the check down pass until recently. Already 3 out of 4 winning seasons. 38-21 record. with two 4000 yard seasons. 

Lastly, If Allen had an OC who knew how to defeat a cover 2 shell defense (after being an NFL offensive coordinator for 12 years) and build a decent ground game enough to help take the offense off the QBs shoulders somewhat, Josh Allen would have been the NFL MVP this season. 

P.S. Yes, the Buffalo Bills have finally found a run game the last few games and finally figured out how to work to defeat a cover 2 shell. Why did it take most of the season to figure this out?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

All I can say is... put this, along with a lot of other issues on the direct shoulders of the Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator. The man had a terrible record as an NFL OC before he got to Buffalo! 

And Allen, with all his elite skills has made Brian Daboll look somewhat decent.

Let's not forget that this is the man that thought Nathan Peterman was a viable starter against the Ravens in 2018. Sent him out there to get destroyed! Daboll had no plan against that fierce Baltimore pass rush, not in 2018 6x sacks for Peterman, Allen, and again in 2019 6x sacks Allen. 

If not for Allen and his unique running ability, toughness, brains and overall elusiveness...he might have ended up on a dumpster heap like so many Cleveland Browns QB's have...super star arm aside.  

All I can say is, week 9, to lose to the 1-6 Jacksonville Jaguars 6-10 (worst team in the NFL that NE just pasted with a 50 burger) with the 30th ranked defense who sacked Josh Allen 4x!!!

Only 9 rushes by Buffalo RBs that game with the QB throwing 47 times...

QB having difficulty passing in a game...just keep throwing! Yep, this team has a weakness alright.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

Any stat comparison with Josh Allen that involves the likes of  Cooper Rush, Davis Mills, and Tayson Hill I can give two rats asses about. How about show me what QB has the most amount of 20 yard passes or 40 yards passes. You know the type of passes that are repeatable during the course of the season if you want to talk about the deep passing game. 

You talking about go routes. You do realize that it kinda hard to hit a bunch of go routes when team play 2 high safety the majority of the game against you. I would beat that Allen is in the top 10 in the league facing 2 high coverages.

This is the perfect example of looking at a meaningless stat and making conclusion with no context what so ever.

Maybe we can have this conversation later if the Bills arent in the top 7 in passing yards and Top 5 in scoring especially with us primary being a pass 1st team.

Does Allen need to improve is straight line deep passing probality yes. Is it at the point is so relevant to that it is a issue this year? Not even close

You focused on one part of my worry.   I get you cant constantly hit a go, but they are game changing plays that I cant recall the Bills hitting this season.

My bigger worry is Allen being below 7 Y/A for the season.   I think both things are part of a larger systemic issue with the team.  I think the passing game is incredibly reliant on Josh moving out of the pocket and throwing back to the middle of the field. 

Love the QB but the variety on offense is lacking.  Where are the slants, the screens, the aforementioned gos?  If I have two high id hope to see at least one slant or screen to take a advantage of out of box players.

Also like to see one offensive player take a 5 yard quick hitter to the house.  Hard to do that when you are catching a lot of zone beaters after the Qb has just scrambled for 5 seconds.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, nucci said:

Very confident

Me too.  The Bills are literally 2 or 3 plays away from being the #1 seed and preemptive favorite to win the AFC.  They are a complete team — no glaring weaknesses.  They are well coached and have a superstar QB.  They play well on the road.  What’s not to like?  Which other team in the AFC has a more complete team/coaching combination?  KC is very good but their D is still questionable.  Indy is very good but they just lost a playoff clincher at home to Vegas (and they have Wentz).  Tennessee is very good but not as complete.  The Pats***?  Please.

This Bills team is better than last year’s team.  They had their ups and downs this year, but something happened at halftime vs. the Bucs and they’ve been a different, ultra-focused group since then.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, eball said:

Me too.  The Bills are literally 2 or 3 plays away from being the #1 seed and preemptive favorite to win the AFC.  They are a complete team — no glaring weaknesses.  They are well coached and have a superstar QB.  They play well on the road.  What’s not to like?  Which other team in the AFC has a more complete team/coaching combination?  KC is very good but their D is still questionable.  Indy is very good but they just lost a playoff clincher at home to Vegas (and they have Wentz).  Tennessee is very good but not as complete.  The Pats***?  Please.

This Bills team is better than last year’s team.  They had their ups and downs this year, but something happened at halftime vs. the Bucs and they’ve been a different, ultra-focused group since then.

I concur

I’m feeling very much like I did the last Super Bowl year. Going into the playoffs that year I felt they’d gotten there on borrowed time. I feel just like that this year. My expectations are low, but I’m happy they have a punchers chance. Who knows, they went all the way to Atlanta that fourth year. 

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Even if Newton had never been injured... he isn't, wasn't, hasn't been nearly as good as Allen is as a passer...and never has...

10 seasons in the NFL and Newton has had only four seasons at 60% passing or above. Out of those ten seasons he has had only 3 that were winning seasons 2013-2015-2017. His QB record is 69-60-1.

His TDs, he has only one season with 30+ TD passes. In 2015 with 35 TDs, and the next season in 2016 went 6-8 with a 52.5 completion percentage, 19 TD passes. Newton threw for 4000 yards only once, his first season.

Newton barley breaking 20 TD passes a season most of his career.

Allen, in his four years in the league, 10 TDs, 20 TDs, 37 TDs respectively, and 34 already this year. Completion percentage, 52.8, 58.8, 69.2, 64.1 and we also know that Allen hasn't been one to take the check down pass until recently. Already 3 out of 4 winning seasons. 38-21 record. with two 4000 yard seasons. 

Lastly, If Allen had an OC who knew how to defeat a cover 2 shell defense (after being an NFL offensive coordinator for 12 years) and build a decent ground game enough to help take the offense off the QBs shoulders somewhat, Josh Allen would have been the NFL MVP this season. 

P.S. Yes, the Buffalo Bills have finally found a run game the last few games and finally figured out how to work to defeat a cover 2 shell. Why did it take most of the season to figure this out?

Honestly it doesn't matter (but I get your point about the MVP and possible 1 seed). But as long as they can do it now, consistently, when it counts they will be a problem for any team in the playoffs. 

Not confident.

I believe the Bills can beat any team in the NFL BUT I also believe the Bills can LOSE to any team in the NFL (aka Jags).

Unlike last season, this season I am apprehensive about which Bills team shows up to play for every game.

Funny, last season I believed those old days (draught years) were behind us. But losing to the Jags busted my bubble.

Best I can muster these days is Cautiously Optimistic.

I blame this on the ptsd from 20 years of futile fandom. 

• Agree 1

Are the Bills a Juggernaut? Nope.  But the 2001 Rams and the 2007 Pats were and looked how that ended.  

They have better than punchers odds against anybody in the tournament except Indy.  I'm alright with that.  When I'm not alright with it, I remember that for 19 years straight we'd spend January talking about the Bills would ***** up their draft.  "Well, we don't have a franchise QB and the defense is a chew toy, so let's draft RBs and safeties..."

Just enjoy the show.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.