How confident are you about the Bills going into the playoffs?

Steptide

It's the playoffs and anything can happen, but I feel like we are a couple of pieces and a year of growth away.  This still feels a lot like 1989 to me.  

Edit: just wanted to add that I think we can make a run so long as we protect the football and play smart.  I just feel like we've been a little sloppier this year compared to last.  

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

My fear is we get hit with a snowstorm like one forecast for Wed-Thur and our passing game gets shut down. Both teams would have to play in it, but a big problem if we draw a run heavy team like the Colts in such a game. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Only team that worries me is the Colts.

I don't look at them that way.

Should the Bills get the lead and hold it, that would force the Colts to throw...and Wentz is not an elite "come from behind" QB. Use their own way they beat the Patriots against them.

OTOH, should the Bills get down against them in a rematch, I think Allen has the tools and weapons to put up some good numbers against any team. They showed that in the second half of that Bucs game. 

59 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

We are quietly just outside the top 5 in rushing offense.   Singletary is 12th in the league in ypc.   I guess this is gonna be my daily thread of asking the question ‘why do qb rushing yards not count?’  It’s even more difficult for defenses to prepare for than handing the ball off to a rb because there’s oftentimes an extra blocker.  I just don’t understand what football games some of y’all are watching that complain about our rushing offense.  Even the most potent teams at running the football have plenty of runs go for no gain or a short gain.  There is no team ripping off 5+ yard carries a majority of the time…josh Allen really is the closest thing to that.  Someone like Johnathan Taylor even is averaging 5+ but it is not a consistent 5 yards you get a lot of 1-2 yards and a cloud of dust offset by breaking big runs eventually.  

simple...its not sustainable. he will get hurt. if your RB1 or 2 gets hurt and misses games your team will still be fine with your MVP QB. if your MVP QB goes out - youre dead in the water

44 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Some of the rushing defenses supposed struggles I think are getting a bit blown out of proportion by seeing the pats twice in a short time frame who were essentially running a goal line offense a majority of both games.  I think we did a better job against them in the rematch but just needed to make one or two 4th down stops…they were a rather preposterous 5/5 on 4th down besides a late Hail Mary.  Colts game losing edmunds really hurt because Klein had a very rough day and we likely would’ve been rolling with more LBers if edmunds was healthy 

edmunds is terrible. this is false hope

• Disagree 1

Just now, balln said:

simple...its not sustainable. he will get hurt. if your RB1 or 2 gets hurt and misses games your team will still be fine with your MVP QB. if your MVP QB goes out - youre dead in the water

Just as likely if not more likely your qb gets hurt taking a shot in the pocket.  It just isn’t worth bubble wrapping the generational talent we have imo.  If teams know we are not gonna draw up any qb runs it simplifies the defensive gameplan immensely…we will lose a must win game long before josh is injured.  

6 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

I don't look at them that way.

Should the Bills get the lead and hold it, that would force the Colts to throw...and Wentz is not an elite "come from behind" QB. Use their own way they beat the Patriots against them.

OTOH, should the Bills get down against them in a rematch, I think Allen has the tools and weapons to put up some good numbers against any team. They showed that in the second half of that Bucs game. 

This made me feel better!

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Just as likely if not more likely your qb gets hurt taking a shot in the pocket.  It just isn’t worth bubble wrapping the generational talent we have imo.  If teams know we are not gonna draw up any qb runs it simplifies the defensive gameplan immensely…we will lose a must win game long before josh is injured.  

ok turn him into cam newton. thats fine. its not a good idea.

i want him to become lethal in the pocket/all the throws/pinpoint accurate. and not HAVE to run. 

but whatever

3 minutes ago, balln said:

edmunds is terrible. this is false hope

Not as terrible as aj Klein was at mlb in that game 😂. Not to mention two bad guys is better than one bad guy and linebackers so horrible that they’re not even worth subbing in for a db lol if we are rolling with the edmunds is terrible analysis.  

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Not as terrible as aj Klein was at mlb in that game 😂. Not to mention two bad guys is better than one bad guy and linebackers so horrible that they’re not even worth subbing in for a db lol if we are rolling with the edmunds is terrible analysis.  

what youre really saying if we got steam rolled without a mediocre/terrible run defending LB (hes like bottom of the league out of like 45 LBs...) and we INSERT this mediocre/terrible run defending LB we will somehow have a different result. nah. dawg. nah.

also if you were really watching. matt ryan and the ATL offense was doing EXACTLY what pat the rat mahommes was doing against this D and specifically to edmunds. put him in space. scramble or use your eyes to get him way out of position and hit the open guy in the middle TE/ RB

it was alarming 

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Pretty sure the shoulder injury that sunk cam newtons career was on a passing play not a designed run lol 

its cumulative. if you dont think watching allen run hes not subjecting himself to increase risk of future injuries you're delusional. 

1 minute ago, balln said:

what youre really saying if we got steam rolled without a mediocre/terrible run defending LB (hes like bottom of the league out of like 45 LBs...) and we INSERT this mediocre/terrible run defending LB we will somehow have a different result. nah. dawg. nah.

Well my real argument is edmunds is not as terrible as you say…but it is a scheme issue.  We did not have the guys available to successfully add LBs that game and we just sat in the nickel all game long.  Its irrelevant if edmunds is ‘bad’, inserting him at mlb then kicking Klein over as an extra linebacker would’ve been immensely more successful 

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

We are quietly just outside the top 5 in rushing offense.   Singletary is 12th in the league in ypc.   I guess this is gonna be my daily thread of asking the question ‘why do qb rushing yards not count?’  It’s even more difficult for defenses to prepare for than handing the ball off to a rb because there’s oftentimes an extra blocker.  I just don’t understand what football games some of y’all are watching that complain about our rushing offense.  Even the most potent teams at running the football have plenty of runs go for no gain or a short gain.  There is no team ripping off 5+ yard carries a majority of the time…josh Allen really is the closest thing to that.  Someone like Johnathan Taylor even is averaging 5+ but it is not a consistent 5 yards you get a lot of 1-2 yards and a cloud of dust offset by breaking big runs eventually.  

Singletary averages less than 50 yards per game. When the Bills need to run it in the red zone or on 3rd and short, they were not successful most of the year. They are improving recently and the performance against Atlanta in the red zone and at the end of the game was encouraging.

But having your QB be very nearly your leading rusher is not sustainable. It means he is taking an exponentially greater number of hits every game and the risk is the team is likely not going to be competitive offensively if he goes down. Trubisky is just not capable of doing the things Josh does to extend drives. 

At this point in the season, they have no choice but to keep riding Josh’s arm and legs, but they need a RB with a better skill set than Singletary if they are going to conserve Josh for the long haul. 

The line is performing better of late and that too is encouraging. 

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Well my real argument is edmunds is not as terrible as you say…but it is a scheme issue.  We did not have the guys available to successfully add LBs that game and we just sat in the nickel all game long.  Its irrelevant if edmunds is ‘bad’, inserting him at mlb then kicking Klein over as an extra linebacker would’ve been immensely more successful 

its not just me. 46.9!!!!!!!!!!! thatssssss horrrrrriffffficccccc

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/tremaine-edmunds/50905   

https://www.pff.com/nfl/grades/position/lb

3 minutes ago, balln said:

also if you were really watching. matt ryan and the ATL offense was doing EXACTLY what pat the rat mahommes was doing against this D and specifically to edmunds. put him in space. scramble or use your eyes to get him way out of position and hit the open guy in the middle TE/ RB

it was alarming 

its cumulative. if you dont think watching allen run hes not subjecting himself to increase risk of future injuries you're delusional. 

Confining him to the pocket all season this year would’ve been infinitely more dangerous…our offensive line was terrible for most of the year but seems to be playing well as of late.  If every year you’re gonna throw successful plays that make your offense more dynamic out the window to protect your guys health when do you go all in to win a Superbowl…I just don’t get that logic but to each their own.  If he gets seriously injured from a designed run you can track me down and tell me you were right and I will agree but for now it is just puzzling to me.  Guys get destroyed in the pocket all the time also 

1 minute ago, balln said:

its not just me. 46.9!!!!!!!!!!! thatssssss horrrrrriffffficccccc

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/tremaine-edmunds/50905   

https://www.pff.com/nfl/grades/position/lb

Lol it isn’t even you it’s pff 😂 kind of embarrassing that that’s your evidence honestly.  I’m not trying to say he’s excellent but you’re gonna see a much different and more successful defensive scheme if we see the colts again 

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Confining him to the pocket all season this year would’ve been infinitely more dangerous…our offensive line was terrible for most of the year but seems to be playing well as of late.  If every year you’re gonna throw successful plays that make your offense more dynamic out the window to protect your guys health when do you go all in to win a Superbowl…I just don’t get that logic but to each their own.  If he gets seriously injured from a designed run you can track me down and tell me you were right and I will agree but for now it is just puzzling to me.  Guys get destroyed in the pocket all the time also 

sure in the superbowl if you have to run allen 10 times and he has to scramble a bunch - you do it. 

but over the course of 10+ seasons its going to add up. christ he hurt his foot scramblin in TB and bruce arians made a comment like hes gonna get hurt - better be able to throw better

im thinking long term running/relying on him to run does two things:

1) injury risk

2) he doesnt become absolutely passing lethal like a brady or rodgers 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.