How confident are you about the Bills going into the playoffs?

Steptide

34 minutes ago, Steptide said:

There's no doubt this team has been better since the Tampa game. The expectation early on was the 1 seed and another afc championship game or super bowl. I definitely think the bills are good enough to get back to the afc championship game, but I don't know if I have enough confidence in them to actually do it. I think the losses to the Steelers, jags, Colts and the first Patriots game definitely put some doubt in me. The inconsistency worries me. Even with the bills being 17(?) point favorites against the jets this week, those bad losses early on linger in my head. I'm just really hoping we get good matchups in the playoffs. I don't know if this team can beat the Colts with their running attack, or kc playing like they've been playing lately. We'll see. Go bills 

We've seen this offense get stymied too many times this season to think it's 2020 again in my opinion. 

16 against the Steelers, 6 against the Jags, 15 against the Colts, 10 against the Patriots. 

The Bills have not been able to pass block as well this season, the Coaches have not developed expanded roles for Davis or McKenzie, the play calling has been stagnant for stretches with no pre-snap motion, static personnel groupings, running on first down deep in the red zone, and execution has been spotty. 

• Agree 1

I feel extremely confident. Very likely it will be an opponent we’ve already played at home; Colts, Patriots and lost to. It’s difficult to beat the same twice on the road. There is an outside possibility we play the Raiders.  

Assuming it’s the Colts or Patriots I feel this game would represent the greatest challenge as the weather in WNY could ground our pass game. 

I’m extremely positive about a possible rematch vs the Titans in Nashville even if they have Henry back I like our chances.

The Chiefs & Bengals are good but don’t scare me. 

Assuming Green Bay holds serve I like how we match up. 

The Bills are a possible 5 games away from claiming their first Lombardi.

I feel if we play our game and get a little luck we can win it all. 

35 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Not very.

The run defense is not consistent, nor is the run game. Josh was the most dependable aspect of the team until Sunday.

The whole team just seems to be on the edge this year - you can almost tell from the first series on O and D how the game is going to go.

I’m not sure they can string together three excellent games in all three phases to make the Super Bowl. To do so, they are going to need the other team to help by playing a subpar game. 

We are quietly just outside the top 5 in rushing offense.   Singletary is 12th in the league in ypc.   I guess this is gonna be my daily thread of asking the question ‘why do qb rushing yards not count?’  It’s even more difficult for defenses to prepare for than handing the ball off to a rb because there’s oftentimes an extra blocker.  I just don’t understand what football games some of y’all are watching that complain about our rushing offense.  Even the most potent teams at running the football have plenty of runs go for no gain or a short gain.  There is no team ripping off 5+ yard carries a majority of the time…josh Allen really is the closest thing to that.  Someone like Johnathan Taylor even is averaging 5+ but it is not a consistent 5 yards you get a lot of 1-2 yards and a cloud of dust offset by breaking big runs eventually.  

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

12 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

We've seen this offense get stymied too many times this season to think it's 2020 again in my opinion. 

16 against the Steelers, 6 against the Jags, 15 against the Colts, 10 against the Patriots. 

The Bills have not been able to pass block as well this season, the Coaches have not developed expanded roles for Davis or McKenzie, the play calling has been stagnant for stretches with no pre-snap motion, static personnel groupings, running on first down deep in the red zone, and execution has been spotty. 

Newest oline configuration seems like it’s having a lot of success though.  Those games that happened months ago aren’t super relevant anymore.  Jags game we were an absolute mess Covid wise in the trenches too.  Idk it’s tough to judge…this has been a very strange season.  Feels like we have been as competitive as anyone against the real elite teams and haven’t looked very sharp against some average teams. 

It's the weirdest thing:

There's not a single team in the AFC playoff field that I think the Bills can't beat.

On the other hand, there's not a single team in the AFC playoff field that I think couldn't beat the Bills.

I could see the Bills making it to the AFC Championship Game or Super Bowl just as easily as I could see them losing in round one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Happy with the way we are coming out more balanced to win games happy we were able to overcome a three interception game to win a game and beat a team that was also trying to make the playoffs

Not happy that we can’t seem to stop another teams running game when they really want to run it

Confident

Some of the rushing defenses supposed struggles I think are getting a bit blown out of proportion by seeing the pats twice in a short time frame who were essentially running a goal line offense a majority of both games.  I think we did a better job against them in the rematch but just needed to make one or two 4th down stops…they were a rather preposterous 5/5 on 4th down besides a late Hail Mary.  Colts game losing edmunds really hurt because Klein had a very rough day and we likely would’ve been rolling with more LBers if edmunds was healthy 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Only team that worries me is the Colts.

That’s not a good matchup AT ALL. Their strength is our weakness. They are the only team to truly whoop is this year. Every other loss could have turned on a single play. But not the Colts game. 

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m confident that at our best we can beat any team put in front of us. I’m not confident that we will play at our best, but I like that we may just be peaking at the right time. Look at the Buc’s last year. Peak in the playoffs!!!

As a braves fan i keep forcing their seasons narratives onto this team in hopes the end result is the same lol...

Tre White going down was Acuña who got hurt.

The first half of the season they just couldnt get above .500, due to inconsistent play, but you knew the talent was there. Talent is there for the bills too, imo.

And then finally, and most importantly, get hot at the right time. Be playing your best ball at the right time.

Problem is, you are facing a handful of other teams who are in the same conversation. Sign me up for a bunch of years where automatically in my brain we are at a minimum 1 in 8 odds to win it all. Thats a sweet world to live in. Thanks josh and co.

I am guarded.  The offense can roll over teams, especially given that Motir has picked up the pace.  But the defense still allows too many second half drives to let the opposition get close.  When we go up the D should stomp on the other team’s neck, but too often they walk right down the field.

• Like (+1) 1

I am not highly confident.  This team has been very inconsistent and the AFC playoffs will be stacked.  There are no easy outs in the AFC playoffs this year and - at best, Bills will have about a 60% chance of winning each game.  If they have to win 3 games to get to SB that is (again at best) .6 * .6 * .6 = about 22% chance to get to the SB.

I feel more confident than last season.  This is the exact same core of young players who got to the AFCCG last year and now they have that playoff experience under their belts and are hungry to get further.  I believe the second half of that Tampa game was a major inflection point where the team became convinced that they could physically hang with anyone.  I also think that, generally speaking, we fans overreact to something like having a 10-6 record vs a 13-3 record when the peripheral statistics indicate that we're stronger than last season and we've just gotten some negative variance in the closer games.

• Like (+1) 2

I am very confident. McDermott will have this team ready and the players themselves are fully aware of what playoff football entails. If they play solid football on both sides of the ball while limiting penalties and turnovers, I believe they can beat any team they face, home or away. The only team that beats the Bills...is the Bills. While we have seen that more than we would have liked this year, I think they will bring their A game come playoffs. 

Go Bills!

Every AFC team is flawed; all have at least 5 losses. It's a matter of who gets hot and has the fewest significant injuries over the next month. The Bills have as good a chance as anyone else in the AFC, and a better chance than most other teams in the tournament.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.