Dion Dawkins, Stefon Diggs named to Pro Bowl

YoloinOhio

It's a double snub to Allen in that voters are insinuating that he's not good enough even with a Pro Bowl left tackle, when in fact he's had a terrific year despite Dawkins playing at a replacement level until recently--with even worse play at guard and right tackle. Are they voting for the players they see most on television? Lamar Jackson is still a one-trick pony, no matter how many times the announcers pronounce "He's a pocket passer now." 

1 minute ago, finn said:

It's a double snub to Allen in that voters are insinuating that he's not good enough even with a Pro Bowl left tackle, when in fact he's had a terrific year despite Dawkins playing at a replacement level until recently--with even worse play at guard and right tackle. Are they voting for the players they see most on television? Lamar Jackson is still a one-trick pony, no matter how many times the announcers pronounce "He's a pocket passer now." 

It's unconscionable. 

The NFL and the media, in lock-step, decide who the superstars are and should be. So why do they ignore Josh Allen? 

Is it because we're small market? What the heck is Aaron Rodgers then? Why is he promoted to infinity? What about the 6 week period where the entire country loved Gardner Minshew? I don't think Allen has ever got as much props nation-wide as Minshew got that year.

It it because of the ratings? The Bills get good national ratings when they're on prime time.

People believe whatever the narrative is that the media feeds them. If the media says Allen is an exciting player to watch with an amazing arm, they'll believe it. Instead the media says "Bills coaches have done a great job. Props to Daboll". What? That's the exciting story? That's the angle? Daboll? The chubby, bearded guy always shaking his leg when the camera is on him in the booth at least once a game. That's the star of this show? What???

Allen is an athletic marvel. Strongest arm in NFL history. Top 5-10 QB runner of all-time. Hurdles over LBs and DBs to get crucial first downs. 40 yard end zone ropes. WHERE IS THE NATIONAL EXCITEMENT? Why is Diggs the national star, but not Allen? It's not like Diggs came from the Cowboys or Giants. He came from Minnesota, another relatively small market team.

No, Herbert is the next coming...apparently. How many casual fans, even on this very board, were drooling over Herbert last year in the midst of Allen's top 2 MVP finish? It's because of the media. Everyone follows their narrative. How many Bills fans were Lamar Jackson fans the last few years? Almost like they were rooting against their own team. 

This is 100% on the NFL and it's parrots in the media. They don't seem to WANT Josh Allen to be in the Pro Bowl. They don't WANT him to be a superstar. And after the Bucs ref debacle, it's clear they don't WANT him to beat players like Brady on primetime. 

Is it because they don't want to admit they were wrong about his draft status? Who cares what Bomani Jones and PFF thinks? These decisions are made from the top, and 180 narrative changes on a player are common-place. Allen the superstar is $$$$, Allen the analytical college bust is not. 

2nd in MVP voting and all he got was a spot on a Wild Wings commercial? Has anybody seen that commercial? I saw it once. It was 15 seconds and Allen popped up for a second and then they showed a title over him. It was almost like they were embarrassed to have him in the commercial. Are Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson really better spokesman? Has anybody watched a Jackson interview before? Nobody questions that Wonderlic score. 

I hate to say it, but is it racial? Could be, but again, what about Rodgers? What about Mayfield? What about Herbert? What in the world is going on? Is there are repelling field around Allen?

Nothing adds up or feels right about this. Why won't the NFL give the green light to the Allen - Superstar campaign? You don't think the NFL "tweaks" the vote counts to get the players they want in the Pro Bowl? They couldn't tweak it for Allen?

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Some numbers re: Poyer relative to the other AFC safeties:

• 7th in tackles
  • 4th in pass break ups
  • Tied for 1st with two other guys for INTs
  • 6th in PFF grade (1 spot behind Hyde)
  • 2nd in PFF coverage grade
  • 39th in PFF run defense grade

He had a pretty good case, certainly better than someone like Mathieu, who probably shouldn't have even been an alternate. But guys like Justin Simmons and Adrian Phillips were right there with Poyer and arguably should have been in front of him.

Yeah, they forgot to list inside linebackers for reach team which is where Parsons is listed.

The thing is, the Bills D is really good in virtually every category (and basically tied for the league lead in defensive DVOA with NE), and the fact that no one made it is pretty laughable. The Chargers defense is pretty bad all around; should Derwin James be in there over Poyer? Or is it just name recognition?  Given James's terrible PFF ranking, I think I know the answer. But the same could be said for Dawkins, who is bad this year.

I used to disregard the comments that the "Pro Bowl is just a popularity contest" as basically the typical; disgruntled fans. It's a system where there's always be snubbed players, fans getting butthurt and so on. So it was what it was to me.

But wow at this listing. It's horrible. Poyer a 3rd alternate (dude's a stud!!!)? Dawkins? No Milano? Edmunds a first alternate? Josh looked over?

Haaaaa, good chip on shoulder material ha ha

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He’s leading all safeties in INTs this season!

Just saw that Micah Parsons, probably the most impactful defensive player in the league this season not named Aaron Donald, didn’t make the pro bowl. LOL!

You’re right. Not sure what the problem is.

5 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

It's unconscionable. 

The NFL and the media, in lock-step, decide who the superstars are and should be. So why do they ignore Josh Allen? 

Is it because we're small market? What the heck is Aaron Rodgers then? Why is he promoted to infinity? What about the 6 week period where the entire country loved Gardner Minshew? I don't think Allen has ever got as much props nation-wide as Minshew got that year.

It it because of the ratings? The Bills get good national ratings when they're on prime time.

People believe whatever the narrative is that the media feeds them. If the media says Allen is an exciting player to watch with an amazing arm, they'll believe it. Instead the media says "Bills coaches have done a great job. Props to Daboll". What? That's the exciting story? That's the angle? Daboll? The chubby, bearded guy always shaking his leg when the camera is on him in the booth at least once a game. That's the star of this show? What???

Allen is an athletic marvel. Strongest arm in NFL history. Top 5-10 QB runner of all-time. Hurdles over LBs and DBs to get crucial first downs. 40 yard end zone ropes. WHERE IS THE NATIONAL EXCITEMENT? Why is Diggs the national star, but not Allen? It's not like Diggs came from the Cowboys or Giants. He came from Minnesota, another relatively small market team.

No, Herbert is the next coming...apparently. How many casual fans, even on this very board, were drooling over Herbert last year in the midst of Allen's top 2 MVP finish? It's because of the media. Everyone follows their narrative. How many Bills fans were Lamar Jackson fans the last few years? Almost like they were rooting against their own team. 

This is 100% on the NFL and it's parrots in the media. They don't seem to WANT Josh Allen to be in the Pro Bowl. They don't WANT him to be a superstar. And after the Bucs ref debacle, it's clear they don't WANT him to beat players like Brady on primetime. 

Is it because they don't want to admit they were wrong about his draft status? Who cares what Bomani Jones and PFF thinks? These decisions are made from the top, and 180 narrative changes on a player are common-place. Allen the superstar is $$$$, Allen the analytical college bust is not. 

2nd in MVP voting and all he got was a spot on a Wild Wings commercial? Has anybody seen that commercial? I saw it once. It was 15 seconds and Allen popped up for a second and then they showed a title over him. It was almost like they were embarrassed to have him in the commercial. Are Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson really better spokesman? Has anybody watched a Jackson interview before? Nobody questions that Wonderlic score. 

I hate to say it, but is it racial? Could be, but again, what about Rodgers? What about Mayfield? What about Herbert? What in the world is going on? Is there are repelling field around Allen?

Nothing adds up or feels right about this. Why won't the NFL give the green light to the Allen - Superstar campaign? You don't think the NFL "tweaks" the vote counts to get the players they want in the Pro Bowl? They couldn't tweak it for Allen?

It's always been pretty clear to me for a long time that Allen is the anti-experts, anti-analytics man. The NFL is also a nasty cult-like group, the media, coaches and executives especially see themselves as big time. Once your deemed to be not part of the group, it's really hard to be part of it ever. Ever notice how sometimes Allen plays so well they have to begrudgingly give him a favorable nod. But, the minute he makes a turnover or two, it's see I told you so he'll never be more than hero baller. Again, trying to claim expert status as I'm right after all. I do think there are a few who harbor resentment about the texts when he was 14 as well. SCREW em all I say!

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

It's always been pretty clear to me for a long time that Allen is the anti-experts, anti-analytics man. The NFL is also a nasty cult-like group, the media and coaches especially see themselves as big time. Once your deemed to be not part of the group, it's really hard to be part of it ever. Ever notice how sometimes Allen plays so well they have to begrudgingly give him a favorable nod. But, the minute he makes a turnover or two, it's see I told you so he'll never be more than hero baller. Again, trying to claim expert status as I'm right after all. I do think there are a few who harbor resentment about the texts when he was 14 as well. SCREW em all I say!

Or how after the Bucs game, Brees changed the subject from Allen to the Bills DBs being out. If someone has the clip, this is how it went down:

Co-Anchor: "Great comeback by Allen"

Brees: "Yeah, he did well" Scrunches his face and does a slight wave. "But this Bills Defense without White...."

I remember thinking, what was that about? Shouldn't Brees of all people recognize great QB play during difficult circumstances? Is Allen really glitching the matrix? A matrix that does not seem to want him to be so good. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Several other Bills players were named alternates for the all-star game:

1st alternate: QB Josh Allen, LB Tremaine Edmunds

2nd alternate: TE Dawson Knox, LB Tyler Matakevich

3rd alternate: S Jordan Poyer, LS Reid Ferguson

4th alternate: S Micah Hyde

5th alternate: C Mitch Morse, K Tyler Bass

Josh not getting in is a joke

Knox should be higher ... Matakevich will likely be there, they need ST players (if we aren't in the Super Bowl)

Poyer and Hyde should be 1st alternates at worst

Bass - 5th alternate ? seriously ? ... He's having a helluva year

Diggs earned his spot but Dawkins has been average at best this season.

No Milano ?

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The thing is, the Bills D is really good in virtually every category (and basically tied for the league lead in defensive DVOA with NE), and the fact that no one made it is pretty laughable. The Chargers defense is pretty bad all around; should Derwin James be in there over Poyer? Or is it just name recognition?  Given James's terrible PFF ranking, I think I know the answer. But the same could be said for Dawkins, who is bad this year.

I think in the case of Derwin James, it's a combination of him being very popular amongst fans and also being very popular amongst players and coaches. Likewise with guys like Tyronn Mathieu and Lamar Jackson, who similarly haven't played well this year.

I feel like the whole "Buffalo's defense is among the best in the league and gets no Pro Bowl love" has been a thing for many years now; this team's defense has always been about the sum being greater than the parts. Tredavious White is our one defensive player who is inarguably elite. Guys like Poyer, Milano, and Hyde are in the good to great category from year to year where they should be on the fringe of making it more often than not but that doesn't mean they're snubs when they don't make it IMO. And unfortunately for all three of them, they just don't have the name recognition that guys like Mathieu and Derwin James have garnered. This isn't something specific to Buffalo either. Lavonte David for example has been in the conversation for best LB in the NFL for like 10 years now and he's made one Pro Bowl during that entire time. Some guys just don't get the recognition they deserve unfortunately and some get more than they deserve.

• Agree 2

I haven't been able to make up my mind on which decision is worse. Josh Allen not making the Pro Bowl or Dawkins making it. 

Personally, I think Allen is having the best season of any AFC QB. The top 3 are clearly Allen, Mahomes, and Herbert - however you want to rank them I don't think anyone would argue too much. Jackson is a great player, but having a bad year. He might not even be the best QB on the Ravens. 

Just now, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Why does our guys not making the Pro Bowl make me so annoyed? Its meaningless

Micah Parsons didn't make it? I'd be embarrassed to have made it over that guy!

Injustice naturally incites wrath -- Homer wrote a little poem about it. And yes, it's meaningless, doesn't make it not exasperating.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

It's unconscionable. 

Well, in my opinion, this sort of thing happens across the spectrum -- politics, academe, popular culture. Even the so-called serious subjects have approved narratives. Institutions have the power to select what is worthy of attention and what isn't. Headlines slant and overtly or implicitly tell you what you are supposed to think. In a lot of ways, society never gets far removed from the level of a high school clique. The insiders are jealous to maintain power and prestige and they can be very mean and shabby the way they keep it. The NFL is not a brave organization. Allen is a farm boy with the traditional apple pie, work ethic kind of appeal. That's not the kind of hero that is currently in fashion.

• Like (+1) 1

my last thought regarding the topic of #17 being snubbed....we know he was snubbed, HE knows he was snubbed. Should he allow this righteous anger to "fire him up" or does #17 need no such extra stimulation or incentive to play his best game on Sunday for conceivably all the marbles.

We dont really want him TOO amped up know what I mean? He's a professional and a very smart gifted athlete. He'll handle it but keep your head and rise above it #17  **** the haters I hope he smacks em in the mouth on Sunday like they did here at Highmark running the ball on US 

#Payback

#calmcoolcollected

Edited by muppy

Just now, muppy said:

my last thought regarding the topic of #17 being snubbed....we know he was snubbed, HE knows he was snubbed. Should he allow this righteous anger to "fire him up" or does #17 need no such extra stimulation or incentive to play his best game on Sunday for conceivably all the marbles.

We dont really want him TOO amped up know what I mean? He's a professional and a very smart gifted athlete. He'll handle it but keep your head and rise above it #17  **** the haters I hope he smacks em in the mouth on Sunday like they did here at Highmark running the ball on US 

#Payback

I was thinking about this as well, M. I don't think he needs any extra fire, but it's there for the taking. My main concern is what kind of oline are we going to trot out there. If they can manage mediocre play which is about their high mark, I think Josh torches the cheaters. Praying for it.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I was thinking about this as well, M. I don't think he needs any extra fire, but it's there for the taking. My main concern is what kind of oline are we going to trot out there. If they can manage mediocre play which is about their high mark, I think Josh torches the cheaters. Praying for it.

WORD man Word.  Ditto.

Merry Christmas ><>

m

Edited by muppy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/22/2021 at 11:11 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Every poster that defends Edmunds brings up his pro bowl selections as some sort of fact that he isn't as terrible as we all see watching him play.

I was one of these posters and I will never do that again (still thinks he gets a 2nd contract for other reasons but that’s another thread).
Wow this years vote is pretty terrible. See my penance below. 

On 12/22/2021 at 11:40 PM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

He doesn’t have any bills on his list (and that includes his like 5-6 also considereds). Clearly he forget we have a football team if he doesn’t think we have any in the top 16 snubs. 

Poyer not making is a tragedy and fortunately Poyer was on McAfee recently with his charity (he must’ve known). I’ve given $21 for this ridiculousness and my error in ever using pro bowls in defense of anything (QR code comes up around the 13 minute mark)

On 12/23/2021 at 12:23 AM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Mitch Morse?!!  Are they kidding? Who the he!! voted for him?!  There are always snubs but some of these selections are ridiculous.  Dawkins is having a mediocre year, probably due to his COVID experience, as is the whole O-Line, and he makes it for this season?

23 hours ago, Billzgobowlin said:

So Lamar has been injured for weeks and Herbert is the starter based on what?  

Herbert: 32 Tds 12 Ints.  99.1 rating

Josh:.     31 Tds 13 Ints   95.9 rating

Both teams are 8-6

It's not a stretch to vote Herbert over Josh.

Unless, of course, you're a Bills homer. 

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, Dopey said:

Both teams are 8-6

I think if you look at what Josh has had to deal with (awful offensive line), Josh should have been voted in and probably deserves to start, instead of Herbert. Not to mention, Josh’s numbers are on par with Herbert’s when Josh has also sat out multiple 4th quarters due to blowouts where Herbert has had a chance to get some garbage time stats due to his team being blown out in at least 2 games that I can recall. Not saying Herbert doesn’t deserve to go to the pro bowl but he isn’t having a better season than Josh.

Also, your number for Josh on interceptions is wrong. Both him and Herbert have 12. 

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, cisco2403 said:

I think if you look at what Josh has had to deal with (awful offensive line), Josh should have been voted in and probably deserves to start, instead of Herbert. Not to mention, Josh’s numbers are on par with Herbert’s when Josh has also sat out multiple 4th quarters due to blowouts where Herbert has had a chance to get some garbage time stats due to his team being blown out in at least 2 games that I can recall. Not saying Herbert doesn’t deserve to go to the pro bowl but he isn’t having a better season than Josh.

Also, your number for Josh on interceptions is wrong. Both him and Herbert have 12. 

Dopey's point was there is a reasonable argument both ways. And he is right. They have had very similar seasons. 

On 12/23/2021 at 8:10 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

its really crazy that if you change one play in each loss, except for the colts game, we win them all and could only have one loss

But that is the problem though.  Allen was not able to make those game changing plays at the end of the game to win it.   If he had done them he would be the king right now.    I think the all time greats make those plays count;  Allen did it last season;  However, this season he has not delivered. 

*.  1st and goal -  He had four chances to punch it in against the titans 

* In the Red zone - He had his chance to score in the red zone against the Patriots and failed 

*. In the Red zone -  He had his chance to score the winning game against the Jaguars and he failed 

* Against Tampa - He had his chacne to go ahead with the winning TD and he couldn't.

I am not saying Allen failed on all the above plays (many were due to poor play by his team mates) but he needed to will himself to make that one play in each game and he did not.

BTW Allen is my favourite player and our lone superstar after such a long time...But he failed in critical times.

22 hours ago, Dopey said:

Both teams are 8-6

And the chargers have the same record with a terrible defense.

Lamar getting in over Josh is a travesty.  He was great in the first half of the year, but pedestrian since

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.